Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hip Hop/Rap recommendations (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5283)

Eikman 02-05-2007 08:56 AM

Hip Hop/Rap recommendations

in time for matt's hip hop special i would like to ask for some recent hip hop/rap recommendations, since i seem to be a bit...errrr....outdated.
in general, i don't like the mainstream bling bling gangsta rap, although there are exceptions if it's well produced (e.g. the new Clipse album). some of the few recent hip hop albums i listened to:

Nas - Hip Hop is Dead (surprisingly good)
Mos Def - True Magic (crock of shit)
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (pretty good)
Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven... (they are becoming more mainstream, but i still like their orchestral style)

i generally like the oldschool productions (more east than west coast in general), e.g. the rawness of some of the wu tang solo albums (Raekwon and Ghostface), sparse beats, jazzy samples, crackling bass etc..., but i also like the cleverness and abstract productions out of the Def jux/anticon camp (aesop rock, buck65, mr. lif).

anyone into that underground shit? :)

adam 02-05-2007 09:07 AM

Re: Hip Hop/Rap recommendations

Chrome Children - Stones Throw comp, only on one and a half listens but seems pretty solid...

Oh No - Exodus into Unheard Rhythms: This is good; he got Galt McDermot to open up his catalogue for sampling, and so the entire album has the very cohesive feel on it. Very jazzy.

Ghostface - Fishscale: Just buy it. Haven't heard More Fish yet, though.

kid cue 02-05-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

the rawness of some of the wu tang solo albums (Raekwon and Ghostface), sparse beats, jazzy samples, crackling bass etc..., but i also like the cleverness and abstract productions out of the Def jux/anticon camp (aesop rock, buck65, mr. lif).
Non-Phixion - The Future Is Now (Premier, Pete Rock, Large P, and Necro on the boards, nuff said)

Sensational Meets Kouhei (extremely gritty, lo-fi & underground)

Origami - Origami (ditto, in Japanese)

M.O.P. - Warriorz (could begin to grate, but it doesn't get more raw East Coast)

Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2 (Dilla's snares are amazing)

Eikman 02-05-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam
Chrome Children - Stones Throw comp, only on one and a half listens but seems pretty solid...

Oh No - Exodus into Unheard Rhythms: This is good; he got Galt McDermot to open up his catalogue for sampling, and so the entire album has the very cohesive feel on it. Very jazzy.

Ghostface - Fishscale: Just buy it. Haven't heard More Fish yet, though.

got the fishscale, some good stuff on there, but i think it can't quite reach "supreme clientele". will check out the others

Eikman 02-05-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid cue
Non-Phixion - The Future Is Now (Premier, Pete Rock, Large P, and Necro on the boards, nuff said)

Sensational Meets Kouhei (extremely gritty, lo-fi & underground)

Origami - Origami (ditto, in Japanese)

M.O.P. - Warriorz (could begin to grate, but it doesn't get more raw East Coast)

Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2 (Dilla's snares are amazing)

the Non phixion is great, have it for a couple of years now.
and japanese hip hop? now that's something i wanna hear :)

Jafs 02-06-2007 05:37 AM

Jay-Z: Reasonnable Doubt/The Blueprint/The Black Album

Black Star: Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

Goodie Mob: Soul Food

Common: Resurrection

Eikman 02-06-2007 07:32 AM

anything more recent maybe? :)

adam 02-06-2007 07:38 AM

Also, Roots Manuva's latest full LP, Awfully Deep, is one of my favorite hip-hop albums evah. Don't know if you have that one, but every track is solid.

big screen satellite 02-06-2007 08:26 AM

don't expect any new stuff tonight on my show, but if you wanna check out the 'origins' of hip hop and rap tune in tonight 8-10pm UK (GMT) dirtyradio.net

i've got lots of flavas from all your well known hip hop and rap stars of the 80's and 90's

rundmc ericb&rakim grandmasterflash icet nwa icecube snoop dre delasoul atribecalledquest 2pac oledirtybastard sugarhillgang llcoolj publicenemy steinski natedogg cypresshill and many many more

i have no recommendations for eik - as i'm living in the past

Big Screen Satellite's Mega Mix Show
The Sound of Then, NOW!

Eikman 02-06-2007 08:35 AM

stop plugging in my thread!