Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Most Underrated Bands (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7538)

Strangelet 03-18-2008 07:34 AM

Most Underrated Bands

We had a good thing going here so I'm ressurecting it.

ANd i'm adding Rocket from the Crypt as a top contender for the title who, incidentally, have a new live album out R.I.P. supposedly a recording of their last show.

Also Hole's Celebrity Skin. Its like everyone decided courtney love was a female cobain couterpart with Live Through This, only to get bored with the idea by the time Celebrity Skin comes out, which is infinitely better and shows the band as a legitimate act.

holden 03-18-2008 09:03 AM

Re: Most Underrated Bands

problem with the underrated idea is that there are hundreds of reaaaally talented indie or unsigned bands that have gone unnoticed. Not sure how a band is underrated if it's made it big...do you consider sales? Popular opinion? Critics' reviews?
I'm trying to think of major label bands with particular albums that have been passed over unjustly and should be reassessed...

Strangelet 03-18-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden
problem with the underrated idea is that there are hundreds of reaaaally talented indie or unsigned bands that have gone unnoticed. Not sure how a band is underrated if it's made it big...do you consider sales? Popular opinion? Critics' reviews?
I'm trying to think of major label bands with particular albums that have been passed over unjustly and should be reassessed...

um... I don't think many of us are equipped to turn this conversation into anything more scientific than the subject just being a vehicle to talk about music we're into, that we might feel isn't given due credit, whatever that means.

at least that's what I figured....

the mongoose 03-18-2008 04:21 PM

Death in Vegas
Kasabian
Evil Nine
Dieselboy
Underworld;)

ceramic'cow 03-18-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mongoose
Kasabian

It's Underrated bands, mate. You've got it back to front. Kasabian are shite, and if I hear Radio 1 cream themselves over their next turgid batch of singles I'll probably cry. They just sound like a less interesting, more repetitive version of XTRMNTR era Primal Scream.

For my two-cents:

Tom McRae is a great singer/songwriter who's first three albums never gained the popularity that they deserved. And to think, people buy James Blunt records in their droves. Admittedly, his last effort fell a little short of previous work, but Just Like Blood is one of my all-time top 5 albums. Listen to any track from that album,or Dose Me Up, The Girl Who Falls Downstairs or A and B Song for a taster

Elbow are a great band from Manchester, who have a loyal, devoted following and receive great critical praise, but have yet to really hit the big time. I'd recommend most of their work, but particularly Scattered Black & Whites, Newborn, Forget Myself and Switching Off. Plus, their latest album is just out, and supposedly extremely bloody good.

There's plenty of others, obviously, but that's not a bad start.

Strangelet 03-18-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramic'cow
Elbow are a great band from Manchester, who have a loyal, devoted following and receive great critical praise, but have yet to really hit the big time. I'd reccommend most of their work, but particularly Scattered Black & Whites, Newborn, Forget Myself and Switching Off. Plus, their latest album is just out, and supposedly extremely bloody good.

good call on elbow, agreed. they hit the spot perfectly whenever that spot that they hit perfectly is the the spot I'm currently interested in hitting. thanks for the update on the new album .

m.g. 03-18-2008 05:49 PM

Yello
The Aloof
Japan

kid cue 03-18-2008 07:21 PM

Ruff Sqwad
JME
The Books
Alpha Omega
Shiina Ringo

crank 03-18-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramic'cow

Elbow are a great band from Manchester, who have a loyal, devoted following and receive great critical praise, but have yet to really hit the big time. I'd reccommend most of their work, but particularly Scattered Black & Whites, Newborn, Forget Myself and Switching Off. Plus, their latest album is just out, and supposedly extremely bloody good.

There's plenty of others, obviously, but that's not a bad start.

Yes, the new release is excellent. You can find it out there on the internetweblets. Good call on this. VERY Good Call.

Caprice 03-18-2008 07:52 PM

Miracle Legion/Polaris

The Verve

Collective Soul

4hero

(more will come im sure)