Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10971)

purlieu 06-07-2010 09:01 AM

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 122776)
Maybe I'm wrong but I think "Scribble" is going to be the template...it's got new shoes, but it's still UW all the way through, and besides it's great to see these guys exploring new sounds at this stage in their career.

I suppose this is the problem, I like the vocals and some of the synths, and it's really catchy, but whenver I listen to Scribble I do have this uncomfortable 'shut the fuck up High Contrast' rage bubbling inside me.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by //\/\/ (Post 122778)
surely adding your style and creativity to a song's raw material is remixing?

I don't think so but we're splitting hairs. Will reserve judgement. I just don't think this is going to end up sounding like a remix compilation.

khouri 06-07-2010 09:49 AM

I will very happily purchase Barking and listen with an open mind but my reaction to this news is not good. I'm afraid we're going to have another Holding the Moth/Scribble situation here, except with even more songs I loved initially -- Always Loved a Film, Moon in Water, Diamond Jigsaw, Between Stars -- getting the unnecessary everything-and-the-kitchen-sink production style.

I'd obviously rather have the proper Underworld/demo version of this and then see the band enjoy the potential benefits of a high profile remix album. Hoping more than ever for Underworld versions as B-sides a la Dirty/Cowgirl and Dark & Long.

joethelion 06-07-2010 09:49 AM

this sounds like it could be cool...

I mean - "Scribble" doesn't sound THAT far removed from the "Underworld sound" (like it doesn't not sound like UW)

I doubt "Bamboo" will be on the album (mmmaybe a bside). I say that just b/c it's been kicking around for so long, and the lyrics didn't really develop beyond the "Lenny Penne" ones.

I'm really hoping that like - "Hamburg Hotel (a/p Appleblim & Al Tourettes)" is "Telematic Peal" ... just b/c I could picture Appleblim doing something with the version f/ the June 11th Broadcast)

{EDIT}

having thought about it... I will be QUITE upset if we don't get a bunch of b-sides with this album! B/c there would at least be the "demo" version of almost every song... plus a lot of finished songs that we already know

ThingInABook 06-07-2010 10:16 AM

on paper reads/sounds like a remix album. just because u/w did some tracks and sent them to other people to produce them. maybe rick tought he needed feedback?

or maybe he needed other points of view.

scribble does sound like underworld with some extra production mixed. also, anyone remembers this version of between stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qepi...layer_embedded

this video was from last year, and maybe that was the original underworld version. this was after downpipe and probably they liked working with other people.

you know, it gets lonely in the studio...

bryantm3 06-07-2010 10:26 AM

i've never heard that version- that's amazing. way better than what i've heard.

darktrain 06-07-2010 10:29 AM

Additional production, remix, call it what you will...in any case, I'm sure R&K took a final pass on every track, so I really can't see this feeling/sounding like a remix album.

The one thing that did strike me as odd, though: no Pricey?!

starfox203 06-07-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 122787)
I'd obviously rather have the proper Underworld/demo version of this and then see the band enjoy the potential benefits of a high profile remix album. Hoping more than ever for Underworld versions as B-sides a la Dirty/Cowgirl and Dark & Long.

Why? Obviously UW made a very conscious and deliberate decision in this. Perhaps just UW-only demos wouldn't be very good. Besides there are / will be UW-only live versions. I have no doubt they know what they are doing.

Future Proof 06-07-2010 10:36 AM

Coming from a group of guys that brought Darren Emerson in to add the final spice to their tracks, I'm not at all concerned. This is Underworld's album, not PvD or High Contrast's and I'm sure that everything that made it to the record will be unmistakably Underworld, and not hijacked.

crank 06-07-2010 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=ThingInABook;122790]

scribble does sound like underworld with some extra production mixed. also, anyone remembers this version of between stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qepi...layer_embedded

Need A HIGH quality BOOT of this NOW.