Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   You Do Scribble (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17160)

Champiness 09-26-2010 01:10 AM

You Do Scribble

Okay, this one has been one of my favorites for a while, but I just listened to the "official" studio version for the first time on Dirtyradio right now and I just have to say... wow. YDS is truly astounding. Scribble has its merits, but I'm pretty upset that they didn't release it as an album track and that no matter how many shows I go to, I'll probably never get the chance to hear it live now. Hopefully they won't stick to the Barking versions for all their shows.

Lx_Nen 09-26-2010 03:14 AM

Re: You Do Scribble

You can get the abbey road version from iTunes - in theory it's a bonus track for getting Barking from iTunes, but it's available to buy on it's own for 99p

pw32 09-26-2010 03:48 AM

Just wished they had put the vocals, as used when played live, on the version used on the alternative disc, quality tune but the vocals definitley added something.

stimpee 09-26-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pw32 (Post 145726)
Just wished they had put the vocals, as used when played live, on the version used on the alternative disc, quality tune but the vocals definitley added something.

Were there ever lyrics on You Do Scribble? I dont think so. Certainly were on Lenny Penne, and they were paired together at least on the 2005/2006 tours.

pw32 09-26-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 145728)
Were there ever lyrics on You Do Scribble? I dont think so. Certainly were on Lenny Penne, and they were paired together at least on the 2005/2006 tours.

Yep, i've got a few live recordings where vocals exist, and saw them play it live in Glasgow on their last tour.

If you skip to about 7.30 mins in to this video you will hear them clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xc2oiOl15k

Caprice 09-26-2010 07:30 AM

oh man this is such a good song! it makes me think of soooo many different styles!
if you read the liner notes in the deluxe edition (if you have it, don't mean to be a dick if you don't, just sayin') Steve (the executive producer? anyone with more info on him, i'd appreciate it) says that:

"Everyone involved with Underworld is a closet drum and bass fan at heart;"
- Steve on Scribble

And then Karl talks about the energy at drum and bass shows and Rick talks about how it had more of a carnival feel, and Lincoln is Welsh?

Anyway, I reference Scribble in regards to You Do Scribble cause i got the liner notes on it and there are none for YDS and they both share the name Scribble and it's obvious DnB stem in the sound of YDS.
The styles I get from YDS though, wow! I call the beat pretty damn solid and that atmosphere they bring in around 1:10, it's so classic Underworld! i love it! then the, im not sure what it is, a synth with delay? a sequencer with delay? its beautiful. For some reason I want to throw a Boards influence in there, but Boards have probably listened to their own amount of UW to enjoy. (boards of canada)

ah i love music. :)

Jan 09-26-2010 08:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the YDS lyrics ended up on Best Mamgu Ever. Listen closely from 4:24.
They are heavily processed but they are there.

hypeless 09-26-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx_Nen (Post 145725)
You can get the abbey road version from iTunes - in theory it's a bonus track for getting Barking from iTunes, but it's available to buy on it's own for 99p

Thanks for the heads up! I'd held off on buying the album again on iTunes just for this track :)

TheBang 09-26-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 145738)
I'm pretty sure the YDS lyrics ended up on Best Mamgu Ever. Listen closely from 4:24.
They are heavily processed but they are there.

Or, is it the Best Mamgu Ever lyrics that ended up on YDS live? ;)

And welcome back, Jan. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caprice (Post 145734)
Steve (the executive producer? anyone with more info on him, i'd appreciate it)

Steve Hall of JBO, Underworld's first label.

Jan 09-26-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 145743)
And welcome back, Jan. :D

Thanks! It has been a busy year...
The new dirty is looking great :)