Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   bound. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Hyperion Cantos (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1864)

Tom 11-29-2005 03:20 AM

The Hyperion Cantos

While I was away I managed to squeeze some reading inbetween cocktails, and finally knocked Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion over.

What a fucking amazing bit of work. I hadn't been that moved by a book (or 2, as it were) since I read Asimov's 'Foundation' trilogy. The scope and the humanity he creates is staggering.

Should I get the Endymion books also? Are they as great as the first two?

Spoilers maybe:

[COLOR=SandyBrown]I almost shouted out loud when I pieced it together : the labrynth, the cruciform and the Core. One of those rare moments when I get completely consumed by the book I'm reading.

I'm sad Kassad got owned. I hope he makes a return somehow. Ummon was awesome.[/COLOR]

groovypanda 11-29-2005 08:36 AM

Re: The Hyperion Cantos

best science fiction book ever.and yes - you need the endymion books too :)

votingfloater 11-29-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
What a fucking amazing bit of work. I hadn't been that moved by a book (or 2, as it were) since I read Asimov's 'Foundation' trilogy. The scope and the humanity he creates is staggering.

Blimey, that's high praise. I'll have to give these a bash.

(Oh and I almost forgot: congrats Tom, sounds like you had an awesome time :) )

Tom 11-30-2005 03:31 AM

I would suggest you do check these out. 'Hyperion' is fantastic, but what he does with 'The Fall of Hyperion' had me sitting in quiet thought for hours after I had closed the book.

Matt: Are the Endymion books a true continuation of the Hyperion books, following Lamia, the Consul, Sol etc? I really, really love all the main pilgrim characters (esp. Silenus - "Hey, do you know the fucking Shrike is behind you?")

I feel like I should re-read the last half of the second book to make sure I fully understand a few of the concepts and ideas.

I really enjoyed the parts set inside the Core.

groovypanda 11-30-2005 09:55 AM

the 2 endymion books don't continue directly where fall of hyperion finishes - however it's a definite continuation and there are some characters who are in these books - i really don't want to say too much and give too much away but my advice would be get them and read them (preferably without reading the back of the books) and i'm 100% convinced you'll love them too (especially based on some of the things you said in your last post ;))

matt :)

Aaron Contreras 11-30-2005 12:14 PM

Endymion isn't as good but is still pretty damn good.

I went fucking apeshit over Ilium...but was rather let down by the sequel Olympos.

votingfloater 11-30-2005 12:57 PM

wowowoh... hold on.

Assuming I get hooked, how much am I letting myself in for, in numbers of books, please? :)

Tom 11-30-2005 02:39 PM

The Hyperion books are like this: Hyperion + The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion + The Rise of Endymion. As matt stated, the Endymion books are a continuation of the Hyperion books.

Illium and Olympos are books by the same author (and are also fucking fantastic) but are unrelated to the Hyperion books.

Aaron: I kind of agree, though it did enjoy Olympos quite a lot.

Cautiously excited that Simmons is currently writing screenplays for Hyperion feature films.

King of Snake 01-08-2006 11:12 AM

almost finished with Fall of Hyperion now, it's indeed an amazing book! I just got Ilium as well so I'm gonna read that after i finish FoH.

The Shrike has got to be the creepiest "villain" ever :eek:

votingfloater 01-20-2006 04:25 AM

I finally got hold of the Hyperion omnibus from the library. I have mixed - but mostly positive - feelings about it so far, but it caused me to remember a book called The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It's an interesting take on faith, the universe and evolution from with a hard SF slant. And it doesn't weigh as much as Hyperion.

Nothing really to do with Hyperion, but I thought it was worth a mention.