Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   moments. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2016-03-24 London Roundhouse 1 (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18284)

skyscraper101 03-24-2016 01:14 PM

2016-03-24 London Roundhouse 1

Anyone here? Checking in from the front at the Roundhouse

BrotherLovesDub 03-24-2016 03:56 PM

Re: Roundhouse gigs rollcall

Fire alarm at the show? What's happening?

amhilde 03-24-2016 04:24 PM

Just got home. We bailed after seeing everyone streaming back onto the floor after the fire alarm or whatever that was. Lost a PRIMO spot at the front, was having an excellent show and then the music just.... died in the middle of KoS (and it was just ROCKING). Rick and Karl went off stage after saying it would take five minutes, and I noticed all the folks in the seats being herded out. Then they did us on the floor. Somehow I eventually ended up way out beyond the tour busses and then op! everyone can go back in!

*sigh*

It seemed like it could be less than pleasant to stay, as EVERYONE in the venue was essentially allowed on the floor and they weren't checking tickets to get back in (fair enough!) and folks were getting pushy and the floor was wet because it had been raining outside. So after watching the band come back on (from the sidelines) and trying to recue KoS back up (and having some difficulty) we decided to beat the crowd and catch the bus home because they had maybe 15 minutes left before the curfew.

Disappointed and no explanation as to what happened. After last week's difficult show this one was so much better and I was around some cool people and no cigarette smoke! :D

I was one back from the rail in front of Rick - wearing a Hiroshima Carp baseball tshirt, brown hair in ponytail. Will be back up at the front tomorrow in same outfit if anyone wants to say hello :)

BrotherLovesDub 03-24-2016 04:32 PM

I have a Hiroshima Carp t-shirt too. Got it from Ebbets Field Flannels. Top choice!

Thanks for the report. I was wondering what was happening.

amhilde 03-24-2016 04:37 PM

Small world - thats exactly where I got this one from! (technically its the boyfriend's, but since he wasn't using it tonight... :) )

I'll be interested to see if they extended the curfew and let them finish the set - hopefully some other reports will come in yet.

razorpilot 03-24-2016 05:38 PM

Just on train home. They extended the curfew and played full set. Almost rip-corded during the 'break' but glad I held on. In the end, treated it like a 30min interval before 'encore'. Anyway, was awesome, Jaunita and Dirty Club were particular highlights.

markreed 03-24-2016 06:19 PM

We were downstairs until the fire alarm, and it was Idiot Soup in there, lots of people walkinga round - it felt like dancing in a corridor.

After the fire alarm we had the balcony almost entirely to ourselves and that was lovely.

whatmakesustick 03-25-2016 02:55 AM

Re: 2016-03-24 London Roundhouse 1

Wow, I forgot how good Juanita was. Thats when it took off for me.

If Rah and I Exhale are fun tunes, but I wonder if there is a better place for them in the set. I Exhale into Dark Train didn't really work for me, Having said that, I thought the setlist was amazing and the best it has been for some time. Just a bit of mixing between the tracks would have taken it to another level for me.

The surprise songs from this tour (Ring Road / Minneapolis, 8 Ball, Drity Club, Faxed Invitation) were all great and for us that go to all these gigs, nice to see them mixing it up a little. It's funny that they said they could never play 8 Ball in an Underworld gig (hence it's only outing being the Edgeland tour) - even though some people took it as an excuse for a toilet break or grab a beer, I saw plenty of people joyfully singing along....and happy :)

Why does TMO sound like a chilled out song in my headphones and a techno stomper live. Speaking of techno...Rowla...nice :)

The other new tunes also slotted in nicely. Low Burn grabs your attention with a deep bass / kick drum. It's slightly odd though - it was a bit moody but with uplifting lyrics (be bold, be beautiful). A lot has been said about Ova Nova and Nylon Strung - but I have to say they really held everyones attention and just...worked in the set. Wouldn't it have been great if the backing vocals were live too!

The fire alarm was a pain, but I don't think it made much difference. Everyone (we bumped into) was having a laugh outside in the rain. I was expecting to go back in and get Born Slippy and Rez, but we actually got the whole set including are started King Of Snake! It all added to the experience and having been to quite a few shows (at the Roundhouse alone), will make this one memorable.

I think the crowd was fairly standard for London/Underworld - I thought the atmosphere was better last year the Apollo, but then, I had been on the pop so I can't be sure.

markreed 03-25-2016 03:40 AM

I agree with the sequencing of the setlist. Nice as it was to hear Eight Ball, Faxed Invitation, etc., the pacing was off insomuch as it felt quite pacy, then dipped around Eight Ball and Ring Road and Faxed Invitation. Perhaps creating a fast opening salvo with a mid set lull of slower ones might work. The crowd wanted to dance more than the set allowed them, I think.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/underw...-13f00d65.html

amhilde 03-25-2016 04:43 AM

We were talking about the setlist when walking back to the bus stop - the "spoken word" middle bit does start to drag (although if you are in a good place and can bliss out to Eight Ball then great!) and gets a little uneven in terms of fast vs. slow. I would almost move Ova Nova/Nylon Strung to the end after NUXX, move Eight Ball and Faxed Invitation together with Ring Road.Agree that mixing the transitions would be awesome!

What I do like is that they haven't gone the way of some other bands to load the front with new tunes that everyone just sits through to get to a "greatest hits" back end of the set. That gets boring too.

Well, now I wish we had stayed and just hung out in the balcony at the end. Oh well - tonight is another chance. Definitely a better crowd/show/venue/vibe than the Apollo - it seems Karl has way more energy at these shows, so perhaps the dubno material really was a downer for him to perform. FAR less yammering/beer runs/selfie taking at this show than the Apollo too. People around me came out to DANCE and that they did!