Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ipod Nano - replaces the ipod mini (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=978)

kagenaki koe 09-07-2005 10:31 AM

Ipod Nano - replaces the ipod mini

not sure if this is the right forum for this but
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

and it comes in all black version too!

Eikman 09-07-2005 12:08 PM

Re: Ipod Nano - replaces the ipod mini

fuck yeah!

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 12:13 PM

Just in time to waste your money on something that involves NO innovation.

"Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and the number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See [color=#800080]www.apple.com/batteries[/color] for more information."

Suck more please

joethelion 09-07-2005 12:21 PM

...but it is innovative

it's f-off small!

and honestly - duh, about the batteries. No battery lasts forever - you've got to be joking if you think that a battery will last forever, even if you recharge it. Anyway, apple changed their policy about replacing batteries, so it's a moot point.

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 12:28 PM

Shrinking something doesn't make it good. Ask your girlfriend about how she likes your new half-sizes phallus if you're so willing for change and "innovation".

BrotherLovesDub 09-07-2005 12:56 PM

14hr battery life!

don't hate cuz you're a broke ass bitch.

ceramic'cow 09-07-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsiliRunite
Shrinking something doesn't make it good. Ask your girlfriend about how she likes your new half-sizes phallus if you're so willing for change and "innovation".

are you Arjue in disguise?

kagenaki koe 09-07-2005 01:38 PM

innovation schminovation, it's a super sleek looking gadget. who needs to reinvent the wheel, when all you need is just a wheel...sure you could add spinners, but it'll still be a noninnovative wheel

Forgotten Sanity 09-07-2005 01:54 PM

Hahaha... I *still* love my $220 Creative Zen Xtra, all 30 gigs of it and the removable, rechargable battery.

All of you i-pod freaks are SHEEP. :D

patrick 09-07-2005 02:00 PM

that thing looks gorgeous!!! i need to get a 60 photo though cause i am going to use it to dump off digital photos..>!>!>!>!>

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 02:47 PM

I'm beginning to think you're all fashion designers, opposed to audiophiles.

It GOES in your POCKET. It could look like a piece of coal, if it plays music well, and allows for you to change the battery, that's what matters. And I know for a fact that all iPod models have decent sound quality and horrible output. I'm sorry, but I refuse to use ear-buds.

adam 09-07-2005 02:51 PM

I'm beginning to think you're a total ass.

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 03:15 PM

It's your money, but I'm doing what another member is doing: Going for the cheaper gb/monetary unit version of another brand, that I won't see every other person with. Its what's right for me, and my needs. I need to hear my music for the lowest price and highest quality, so I'm not going to pay more for good looks and miniscule size.

Were you beginning to assume things, too? :rolleyes:

goldfish 09-07-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

It GOES in your POCKET. It could look like a piece of coal, if it plays music well, and allows for you to change the battery,

Surely it's also got to be easy to use, easy to link to your computer, easy to connect to the iTMS and have useful useable features? Compared to the non-ipod personals I've used, the iPod is a country mile ahead in all of those categories, and just as good in the two you mention.

Sound quality is good; it's hard to tell how good, because as any audiophile knows, MP3s, AACs, OGGs etc. all sound universally a bit shit. Whining about audiophile sound quality on a device designed to play compressed music on the move seems a bit silly to me.

I think it's a nice enough device; it's a deluxe Shuffle, for people who don't have gazillions of songs on their computer (I've seen nothing to suggest it's a replacement for the Mini, not least because I'm assuming it's flash based, not hard-drive).

Still a pretty dull Keynote. New iTunes to match Mail. Woo-fucking-hoo. iTunes phone; great that that's half-arsed, 'cos device convergence is for the idiot gadget freaks, not the general public.

Nanu Nanu

Simon

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 03:21 PM

You bring up a good point of OGG and Mp3s, but I've been pretty faithful about 320, like I'm sure a lot of you have, and unless I'm in non-mobile circumstances, I wouldn't make it out, the difference.

Forgotten Sanity 09-07-2005 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfish
Surely it's also got to be easy to use, easy to link to your computer, easy to connect to the iTMS and have useful useable features? Compared to the non-ipod personals I've used, the iPod is a country mile ahead in all of those categories, and just as good in the two you mention.

See, I agree that the ipod is easier to use than my own personal unit... but the 5 gig ipod mini was selling for $250 and my 30 gb unit was selling for $230. I went on epinions.com to see what people said about my unit (hahaha, my unit... they're talking about my unit... but I digress) and they said that the worst thing about it was the unintuitive gui. And yet, playing with the Creative Zen at the local electronics shop, learning how to use it befiore I even bought it (and its easy to use at that rate)... it just made me think, "Do people really need to be catered to THAT much??"

I mean, go get an ipod if you want but there are SO many alternatives out there, and so many that can compete with the ipod on every level... sound quality, battery life, capacity, *price*... it astonishes me to see that nothing is even really competing in sales or even press with what I feel is an over-priced, only average unit.

goldfish 09-07-2005 04:44 PM

Quote:

that I won't see every other person with.

"Look at me, I'm different..."

And you complain about others being fashion victims. :rolleyes:

Simon

goldfish 09-07-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten Sanity
it astonishes me to see that nothing is even really competing in sales or even press with what I feel is an over-priced, only average unit.

Nothing else out there has the same package of quality (the iPod just feels better than everything else), design, software integration, software design, online store, ease of use (the click wheel is so intuitive), colour screen, sound quality etc.

A lot of them have bits and bobs of the above, but nothing else has all of them. I should add that I have a Mac, so the whole thing's a doddle anyway.

Simon

IsiliRunite 09-07-2005 04:50 PM

Quote:

And you complain about others being fashion victims. :rolleyes:

It's not that I don't want to see others with what I use, I don't HAVE to, to be content with what I have.

sola sistim 09-07-2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

It's your money, but I'm doing what another member is doing: Going for the cheaper gb/monetary unit version of another brand, that I won't see every other person with. Its what's right for me, and my needs. I need to hear my music for the lowest price and highest quality, so I'm not going to pay more for good looks and miniscule size.

Were you beginning to assume things, too? :rolleyes:

um, why the fuck do you care what other people want to waste their money on?
if YOU dont like it, dont buy one, just dont tell anyone else not to buy one because you dont like it.

Stephen 09-08-2005 03:10 AM

Well regardless of whether it wipes your ass/stimulates your prostate/automatically videos all your favourite programs without the adverts in, I don't give a shit. I am so sick of how the Apple/iPod brand has become synomymous with 'cool' in the eyes of marketing men all over this land. I browse through a magazine and the lead picture to an article has a girl sat in a restaurant with an iPod on the table. The iPod is nothing to do with anything, the article is about eating disorders. iPods are 'cool' though… There's that new fucking BMW with a built-in 'iPod Connection'. What exactly is that? Is it really just a small stereo jack coming from the stereo? Still, someone is paying someone else so that it can be implicitly called an 'iPod Connection'. Probably BMW to Apple so that they too can look 'cool'. I'm also sick of the number of people I've come across who want one of these things so they can look 'cool'. Seriously, I've actually met people who want one to be seen with on the beach. No fucking mention of listening to music on it. No fucking clue what it's actually for in some cases, I'm sure.

Apple and it's iPod brand can suck my cock/balls/arse.

big screen satellite 09-08-2005 04:22 AM

its just a rebranding of the same brand, Playstation did it with the PS2...they just shrink thinkgs down as technology improves - i don;t see what the big complaint is...

now if you don't have an mp3 player and want a small one to fit in yer pocket buy this, but check out what else is on the market too...

remember it'll only hold 500-1000 songs...if you want more gb, buy a bigger model or different brand...

i-pod's are the 'sony walkman' of the 21st century...so what if it's fashion item...everything is designed to look good, and if it plays music well then mores the better...

image is totally important to brands, the more people apple have wearing the white headphones the better for them...its not doing them any harm...

conform or don't...its up to you...no-ones forcing anyone to buy anything...

Ally 09-08-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

device convergence is for the idiot gadget freaks,

Utter pish.

dubman 09-08-2005 07:18 AM

i thought it was a parody article when i read it this morning.
come on, somone holding what looks like a rectal thremometer with a ridiculously self-mocking title of "nano"
what a goddamn waste of time. i never understood the utter novelty of portable music becoming smaller and smaller. i like the ORIGINAL ipod. it was thick, it was nice, but it was obstructively large and it actually looked like it stored ungodly amounts of music. i didnt get one because of the forbidden price range, but it at least was appealing.

this nano stuff is just idiocy, with a middle finger thrown in (read: the ability to see crystal clear images...! on a screen the size of your fingernail! hooray!)

sounds like a sketch will ferell should be in.

monkeyboy 09-08-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
. Seriously, I've actually met people who want one to be seen with on the beach. No fucking mention of listening to music on it. No fucking clue what it's actually for in some cases, I'm sure. Apple and it's iPod brand can suck my cock/balls/arse.

I also know a guy who wants an ipod just to be popular...and he is a dick!
But I wouldn't mind having one. :D

goldfish 09-08-2005 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
Utter pish.

Let's count the posts about the iPod Phone, shall we.

Combined iPod/Phone/Camera/Organiser/Web browser... anyone give a shit?

No.

Simon

GforGroove 09-08-2005 07:58 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/video/html/20...EST_VIDEO.html

I posted this before.. now just makes a lot of sense :D

GreenPea 09-08-2005 08:07 AM

In technology one the objectives is to make everything smaller(except for the US car industry, cause people here have a retarded taste in vehicles...) I think this is great, it looks nice, you can still select songs unlike the iPod shuffle but you can stick it in your freaking wallet most likely. You lose some storage but I will never have over 1000 songs on rotation anyways.

GreenPea 09-08-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GforGroove
http://www.nytimes.com/video/html/20...EST_VIDEO.html

I posted this before.. now just makes a lot of sense :D

HAHAHAHAHHA. This vid is priceless, i love it, thanks!

kagenaki koe 09-08-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
Well regardless of whether it wipes your ass/stimulates your prostate/automatically videos all your favourite programs without the adverts in, I don't give a shit. I am so sick of how the Apple/iPod brand has become synomymous with 'cool' in the eyes of marketing men all over this land. I browse through a magazine and the lead picture to an article has a girl sat in a restaurant with an iPod on the table. The iPod is nothing to do with anything, the article is about eating disorders. iPods are 'cool' though… There's that new fucking BMW with a built-in 'iPod Connection'. What exactly is that? Is it really just a small stereo jack coming from the stereo? Still, someone is paying someone else so that it can be implicitly called an 'iPod Connection'. Probably BMW to Apple so that they too can look 'cool'. I'm also sick of the number of people I've come across who want one of these things so they can look 'cool'. Seriously, I've actually met people who want one to be seen with on the beach. No fucking mention of listening to music on it. No fucking clue what it's actually for in some cases, I'm sure.

Apple and it's iPod brand can suck my cock/balls/arse.

seems like you're projecting your anger towards a product, when it's really the hipsters/trendy/wanna be cool crowd that gets your panties in a bunch.

Ally 09-08-2005 08:33 AM

Quote:

Let's count the posts about the iPod Phone, shall we.

Combined iPod/Phone/Camera/Organiser/Web browser... anyone give a shit?

No.

Simon

Where did I criticise your point about the phone you tit?

*_* 09-08-2005 08:53 AM

well, i think the Nano is fuck off nifty if you ask me. i've had a 1st gen. 10gb ipod for about 4 years... and i honestly think i'm gonna be ordering one of these soon.

i've had Macs for years, so i've been "cool" for years. this'll be more or less just a dues payment. :D

*_* 09-08-2005 08:54 AM

Quote:

toys back in the pram, if you please.

goldfish 09-08-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

device convergence is for the idiot gadget freaks,

Quote:

Utter pish.

You're all hormonal Ally. Step away from the keyboard.

In the real world, people want well-designed tools that do their job well. Noone wants a hammer that also acts as a saw, because it ends up doing both jobs in a half-arsed way. Same with phone/music players/cameras. They're OK at everything, but no replacement for (particularly) music players and cameras, and realistically, unless you want to carry a brick with you, not very good as a phone either.

Simon

djeddy 09-08-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

i swear. when we get to the point where we're calling people tits, its just time to laugh it out. i mean. i can't stop laughing from that quote ally. fuckin hilarious!!!

ceramic'cow 09-08-2005 11:02 AM

i like tits.

also, my Creative Zen FUCKING BROKE. THE CUNT. more than £200 quid that cost me, i've only had it 18 months. and now the hard-drive's shagged. but it's out of warranty, so i'll have to replace it myself. that's, what, another £50. you have no idea how :mad: this makes me

dubman 09-08-2005 11:33 AM

i think the marketing got to the crowd first, koe.
crowds usually dont know what to do until marketing sells it to them.

and then it becomes the annoying phenomena stephen pointed out.

i dont care personally. if i had one i'd use it for what it was meant, MUSIC, and just be glad i dont have to deal with the worst portable CD player in the universe that's 7 years old.

hey, i'm poor. as long as it plays my CD 1 out of 10 times i'm not blowing $200 on hard drive stored in a diaphragm box.

Kennrr 09-08-2005 12:00 PM

i think it looks cool. i bought my ipod because it looked cool, holding felt cool, navigating through was cool, the shiny back was cool. i didn't look cool w/ it but that was cool with me. i've look for other mp3 player but playing around w/ it doesn't give the same feel as the ipod i have now.

now lets talk about those dorks w/ stock white ipod earphones and tacky protective skins. :p

stimpee 09-08-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

See, I agree that the ipod is easier to use than my own personal unit... but the 5 gig ipod mini was selling for $250 and my 30 gb unit was selling for $230. I went on epinions.com to see what people said about my unit (hahaha, my unit... they're talking about my unit... but I digress) and they said that the worst thing about it was the unintuitive gui. And yet, playing with the Creative Zen at the local electronics shop, learning how to use it befiore I even bought it (and its easy to use at that rate)... it just made me think, "Do people really need to be catered to THAT much??"

looks like you answered yourself there. the ipod sells because a) its easy to use b) it just works c) marketing. it sounds like you only bought the Creative because it was cheaper not because it was better.

Quote:

I mean, go get an ipod if you want but there are SO many alternatives out there, and so many that can compete with the ipod on every level... sound quality, battery life, capacity, *price*... it astonishes me to see that nothing is even really competing in sales or even press with what I feel is an over-priced, only average unit.

Yes, there are alternatives out there but they arent as easy to use and arent as well advertised and Apple seems to be the only one not struggling to cram as many features in as possible. They keep it simple. The sound coming from the ipod is actually very good (if you use decent earbuds, but that applies to all). If all you want is something to PLAY your mp3s then the ipod is probably at the top of the pile. Its far from average.

If however, you want a remote control, something that plays Oggs/FLAC, records, has a radio etc then the ipod isnt what you need.

This new unit is even more desirable because its lightweight and smaller and improves on the design. If youve got a Creative Zen Xtra 30GB in your pocket then you'll certainly know about it because its 7.6 x 11.3 x 2.2 cm and weighs 224g. Its a brick. Whereas the new Nano is over 5x lighter, 4x thinner, and 2x narrower at 9.0 x 4.0 x 0.69 cm and 42 g. And now available in black! maybe they'll do black earbuds too...

With the Nano its all about horses for courses. Me? I havent got an ipod. I've got an iAUDIO M3. Its smaller than a normal ipod, plays wav/flac/ogg/mp3/wma, records, has an FM radio, a remote control and cooks me breakfast. I wanted all those features but didnt want to carry a Creative brick around. My mate has a Zen and he's put a 100GB drive in his. (had to send it back to be repaired twice but he loves it). Mad, but he likes to carry everything with him.

Forgotten Sanity 09-08-2005 02:02 PM

Well I wouldn't necessarily go THAT far -- true, the Creative units are fairly large but I'm not a huge fan of tiny, tiny electronics... at the time that I bought the unit, the Zen Xtra was the only unit that I could find that had an intentionally removeable lid, which held an intentionally removable battery. I also didn't mind the jog wheel for navigation, as opposed to touch pads.

And plus, I've been a fan of Creative since the 8-bit Soundblasters first came out. They were also the first (if I remember correctly) to offer integrated mp3 technology in a cd player, and the first to package and sell a harddrive-driven mp3 player (i-pod was just the first to have an enormous capacity). I respect Creative Lab's pioneering spirit in portable mp3 players, and wanted to go with the one that had had their hat in the ring the longest...

And most importantly, the sound quality on my Zen Xtra is freaking awesome. I don't know how the ipod's is, but I'm sure that if the ipod sounds better, it's only by a marginal difference.