Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live jam (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18613)

potatobroth 07-18-2019 10:54 PM

Re: ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live j

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 166260)
Should be available on Mixcloud indefinitely.

To download:

http://www.mixcloud-downloader.com

Ah perfect! Thanks!

jetpig 07-19-2019 12:03 AM

Re: ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live j

Seeing as they are continuing to schedule bigger and bigger shows, what they are doing has been working. A little more boring to follow along at home, but there's like, dozens of us and we didn't pay the ticket fee. Shows are still great in person, though, and that's what ultimately matters. I hope these bits are teasers and foreshadowing for where they intend to go in the near future. Even if I'm wrong, these little archive droppings are amazing and please don't stop.

bestmatti 07-19-2019 01:13 AM

Did they not improvise at rijkmuseum 18 months ago, proving they are still willing and capable on occasions.
I went to the ally pally gig 2017 and was disappointed. The highlight for me was Rick's ambient set, which at least had some improv even though most onlookers looked uninterested.

darktrain 07-19-2019 05:20 AM

I very much miss the improvs and dirty tomato visuals from the shows of yore, my fan theories regarding the current more straightforward live gigs are:
- cost: mixing of live visuals, inflatables, etc. eats into R/K’s own payday and we all know Spotify, YouTube and the like don’t pay artists as much as physical sales used to
- age/skill: Reading 99 (or wherever that seminal slow Rez was from) was 20 years ago! They had Emerson on stage then and Pricey during the last long string of the more “anything can happen” gigs. It can’t be easy to manage the chaos with just 2 guys in their 60s, especially when one is dancing and singing. (also another person to pay)
- audience: festival shows means festival crowds, which trend younger. I’d bet the average kid at one of these doesn’t know the title of Rez, so it’s slapped up on the screen for easy Googling while going out of one’s head.

Could be way off base here and don’t mean to sound ageist or jaded, but maybe they just can’t practically produce the kind of gig we all want from them anymore? The spirit of improv/controlled chaos/what will happen next is very much alive in the Drift series, though, so as long as they keep making music and coming around live, even if only to DJ until their 90s, I’m a happy fanboy:p

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 07-19-2019 07:21 AM

doesn't the lack of a 3rd member pretty much explain it? iirc those duo shows 'round 2002-2004 stuck fairly rigidly to a setlist

khouri 07-19-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darktrain (Post 166267)
Could be way off base here and don’t mean to sound ageist or jaded, but maybe they just can’t practically produce the kind of gig we all want from them anymore?

If this is the answer then that's 100% cool. I just wish we knew one way or the other.

purlieu 07-20-2019 08:19 AM

I'm honestly just happy that the sets are much more varied again these days. I love the thing of them getting friends to write their setlists for them and trying to follow them. It's immediately more inspiring than the very static shows they were doing a few years ago.

But yeah, we often want bands to live up to expectations we place on them largely because of our own experiences and favourite eras. Would I love Underworld to be doing two hour unbroken improvised live sets? Yeah. Would I love Orbital to still be doing chunky analogue sounding breakbeat-infused 10 minute epics? Yeah. Would I love FSOL to still do audio-visual ISDN tours? Yeah. But these things just aren't what the artists want to do now, they've done that and are working in a way that reflects their interests and feelings in 2019. A few gifts to hardcore fans, like these between-Drift bonuses, are lovely, but they're very much the exception rather than the rule.

joethelion 07-20-2019 09:53 AM

This also gives me hope that they might release "Glam Bucket" from the Hollywood Bowl.
It was a fantastic, very 'guitar forward' version.

Or stuff like "Electraglide 2000" with those super early versions of 'Beautiful Burnout' and 'Bird 1'...
If there's a soundboard recording of Juantia / Kiteless > Spoonman (Improv) > Kittens, from that show I would hope / expect that the rest of the show exists.

(edit)

And damn... this version of "Born Slippy" is awesome, and I love how 'Pearls Girl' is basically just being used as a bridge to lead into 'Beautiful Burnout'

TheBang 07-20-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 166273)
This also gives me hope that they might release "Glam Bucket" from the Hollywood Bowl.
It was a fantastic, very 'guitar forward' version.

Didn’t Rick tell you directly that there was no recording of that gig?

holden 07-20-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 166268)
doesn't the lack of a 3rd member pretty much explain it? iirc those duo shows 'round 2002-2004 stuck fairly rigidly to a setlist

Not for nothing, the AHDO-era tours had a decent amount of interludes, probably courtesy Darren Price, and the setlists were definitely still variable.

Change is hard to accept, and harder still if we can't rationalize it.