Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18546)

mark3 02-20-2019 10:19 AM

Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum

So, part 6 is up - I don't know where part 5 is ( could be a typo of course )

Underworld & The Necks - Appleshine Continuum
- and it is 47 minutes long!! ( 2 minutes longer than Barbara, Barbara :D ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcgUodizro

Episode 2 of Underworld’s DRIFT Series concludes with Appleshine Continuum - one of a series of collaborations between Underworld and Australian experimental trio The Necks. Recorded in a single take during two days of improvising at AIR Studios, Appleshine Continuum takes Underworld’s original version of Appleshine (Ep.2 Pt.1) as its starting point and quickly takes flight, only returning to Earth’s atmosphere after 47 mesmerising minutes...

“Karl had played with The Necks several times before … I’d never met them but was struck by his energy whenever he talked about those experiences….I wondered what we might make as Underworld together with them….I really wanted to have that energy inside our Drift series... start a journey together with no fixed destination…

We turned up at AIR studios in London with it’s glorious recording spaces, priceless microphones and recording equipment … two brilliant women driving the control room…Kirsty Whalley engineering and mixing assisted by Fi Cruickshank..…Simon Taylor and Rob (Baker Ashton) were there with their cameras, documenting everything… our SSL 500 desk, CD players, pedals, synthesisers and guitars...coaxing them to connect and behave themselves so we could improvise with Tony, Chris and Lloyd … who turned up with just a bag of drumsticks and some cogs.

The Necks were lovely and extraordinary men… Playing music together with them, time would just… I don’t know.. it just kind of disappeared really. And honestly, I’d do it all over again at the drop of a hat. Tomorrow."
Rick

“Sometimes they terrify me on stage... I get this thrill like they’re destroying their instruments right in front of me. Their personalities off-stage couldn’t be more different. They’re remarkably open and welcoming and generous, and they still seem to be full of wonder when you talk to them. They all have an ease and.. an ability to just enter into what’s going on, and not be judgmental.” Karl

spacejunk 02-20-2019 11:31 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum

Noice!

negative1 02-20-2019 12:46 PM

very interesting flow to the track.

also, the vocals cutting in and out.

great to hear the longer jam sessions.

later

khouri 02-20-2019 01:05 PM

Sure; why not?

holden 02-20-2019 02:17 PM

Well, hmm... Was expecting part 5 tomorrow and got part 6 today. Did we travel 8days into the future without realizing it?

Since nothing yet on uwlive, Facebook or email announcing this, I guess we'll just enjoy being a day (or more) early.

Kind of amazing that this extended jam sustains interest for 47 minutes. Great vibe with the beats and vocal up front. I'm not super fond of the Hammond (?) organ noodling in the middle, but the bass and arpeggiated piano interplay in the last third is tasty.

domsgotsideburns 02-20-2019 02:31 PM

they must've accidentally made the video unlisted to their channel... i can recall Molehill being premiered early on accident and it was soon taken down, so maybe they'll take this down and give us part 5 tomorrow?

anyhow, mistakes aside, it's great to know that (possibly) the episodes aren't going to be condensed just to five parts. but a 47 minute track... WOW! this'll be a fruitful listen

negative1 02-20-2019 04:02 PM

the last third of this is incredible.

this is the underworld that i've always liked,
complex, layered, and lots of depth.

where has this been hiding for the last decade or longer.

later

taotsu 02-21-2019 02:48 AM

This is epic! Walking the streets of Yokohama at night with this soundtrack. Epic

taotsu 02-21-2019 02:50 AM

I just hope there will be a download link in 2 weeks.

I am also utterly fascinated that both episodes possibly end on a rework of the first released track, done by the necks.

domsgotsideburns 02-21-2019 04:04 AM

gave it a full listen earlier today - it's astonishing to think this kind of improvisation piece is actually...a thing, but i guess that's the beauty of DRIFT. spontaneous creativity out of the blue, which is definitely what this track is. 47 and a half minutes of Underworld at their most creative in years, what a thrill! that ending piano section is particularly quite soothing

taotsu 02-21-2019 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns (Post 165106)
gave it a full listen earlier today - it's astonishing to think this kind of improvisation piece is actually...a thing, but i guess that's the beauty of DRIFT. spontaneous creativity out of the blue, which is definitely what this track is. 47 and a half minutes of Underworld at their most creative in years, what a thrill! that ending piano section is particularly quite soothing

Did not have a chance to get a full listen, was interupted half way, but the 25 mins I was in did sound very much worked. Based on improvisation sure, but this really is what I would expect tangerine dream to come up with had they chosen to play jazz. :)

Georg. 02-21-2019 06:09 AM

This is an amazing aural journey!!
Can we get more 47 minute long "songs" in the future, pleeeease...
;-)

atticinsane 02-21-2019 06:33 AM

Amazing.

Can't wait for the long version. ;-)

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-21-2019 07:41 AM

wow it's like R&K read the forums and got sick of all the "cool but it's not long enough" from you lot

Resolute 02-21-2019 08:05 AM

cool but it's not long enough

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-21-2019 08:28 AM

so what does this mean for Drift 2? is it really gonna be 80+ minutes?

crank 02-21-2019 08:30 AM

WHOA.

this output / gifting is reminding me of the bounty that flowed from Aphex Twin's Soundcloud a couple years ago...

dubman 02-21-2019 10:26 AM

Did my taxes to this. Nice one

TheBang 02-21-2019 10:35 AM

Video's been pulled now. I guess we'll see it again next week. I imagine that it's probably the conclusion to Ep 2. It ends the same way Ep. 1 did, with a longform bookending reinterpretation of the first part with the Necks.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-21-2019 10:41 AM

lol @ everyone who missed this and now has to spend the week fretting about missing out on a 47 minute Underworld track that everyone said was awesome

crank 02-21-2019 11:00 AM

some of us may have ripped it?

taotsu 02-21-2019 03:01 PM

I have it in my Dropbox. Just DM me if need be.

dubman 02-21-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 165118)
lol @ everyone who missed this and now has to spend the week fretting about missing out on a 47 minute Underworld track that everyone said was awesome

yeah
you know how there's some loops that just groove naturally and could be locked indefinitely and it'd work?
i dunno if this is on that level but it kind of plays like that with minor variations throughout and... those 47 minutes go down real easy.

undarrenworld 02-22-2019 07:28 AM

I love the video of this extra long piece. Ep.2 is just pure bliss. I want to do homage for Ep.2...watch headset dirties...

crank 02-22-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 165133)
yeah
you know how there's some loops that just groove naturally and could be locked indefinitely and it'd work?
i dunno if this is on that level but it kind of plays like that with minor variations throughout and... those 47 minutes go down real easy.

Yeah shortest 47minutes on record.

TheBang 02-27-2019 01:36 PM

Video is available for playing again, though still unlisted until tomorrow.

DwarfeD 02-28-2019 05:16 AM

Hearing this for the first time now and this is pure bliss!
What an amazing 47 minutes these are.

Great times to be a fan of Underworld.

lloyd 02-28-2019 11:49 AM

This is utterly brilliant.
A collaboration with an experimental jazz band is clearly what we had to wait for to get what is one of their top 5 pieces of music.

This combo needs to tour the world.
6 hour 360 degree podium quad sound experience. Where do I sign up for tickets?

holden 02-28-2019 06:50 PM

Well, despite a few preview listens last Wednesday, it was wonderful to get the download today and enjoy the intricacies. It really is the fastest-seeming 47 minutes! I put this on at work and next i knew, track was in the home stretch. Lot's of variety, but still a common thread throughout.

saintrik 02-28-2019 07:25 PM

https://static.qobuz.com/images/cove...w3jaeb_600.jpg

Strange that Appleshine Continuum is available on Qobuz... I am certainly hoping that they'll repackage DRIFT, Episode 2 in lossless format, like they did for Episode 1.

Anyone got any info?

jetpig 02-28-2019 10:29 PM

In the first minutes there's a vocal sample back in the mix a little bit. I didn't hear it in my (noisy) car, but picked it up immediately in my headphones. It's most easily heard starting at 2:10, but gets used earlier, too. It's the same one from the lead into Trim during the Peel Session.

TheBang 03-01-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintrik (Post 165172)
Strange that Appleshine Continuum is available on Qobuz... I am certainly hoping that they'll repackage DRIFT, Episode 2 in lossless format, like they did for Episode 1.

Anyone got any info?

Yes, it looks like they pushed this out to all the retail platforms (iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc.). Apparently, this is the "single" release for Episode 2, the way Another Silent Way was for Episode 1.

Don't pay Qobuz's exorbitant price. As a single track, it's available at regular single track prices on other platforms, like Tidal ($3.59), and Tidal's one of the more expensive ones. Although, I just remembered that TIDAL only does 16-bit lossless. So, you may want to wait for the other 24-bit retailers to list it, like 7Digital, Acoustic Sounds, HDTracks, and ProStudioMasters. They're usually a few days slower than Qobuz at listing new releases, but they'll probably have it for $2.

The full Episode 2 bundle is next week's Thursday Drift release, released on all regular retail and streaming platforms. The tracks may be mixed like they were on Episode 1, so this single release might still be a unique unmixed version, if you're into collecting (24-bit) lossless.

Edit: Appleshine Continuum is only $1.49 on Qobuz US. And it looks like they pushed it out only in 16-bit, no 24-bit.

philth 03-01-2019 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintrik (Post 165172)

Anyone got any info?

Should be released towards the end of next week (March 7th) if the info I got is right (see attached image).

darktrain 03-14-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 165174)
In the first minutes there's a vocal sample back in the mix a little bit. I didn't hear it in my (noisy) car, but picked it up immediately in my headphones. It's most easily heard starting at 2:10, but gets used earlier, too. It's the same one from the lead into Trim during the Peel Session.

You can also hear a few of the screeching sounds from BYTWB around the 34 min mark.