Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 4, Part 3 - Hundred Weight Hammer (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18592)

TheBang 06-06-2019 10:07 AM

Drift Ep. 4, Part 3 - Hundred Weight Hammer

Woozy, low-slung, detuned, twanging, questing, nagging, dissonant, dreaming… Hundred Weight Hammer is a pure disorientation groove.

Hundred Weight Hammer’s brilliantly weird urban voodoo visual was created by tomato’s Simon Taylor. “I made the masks in the studio with my assistant Leina. The performers are actors, dancers and architects. What was really interesting to see was how they each chose and inhabited their own masks, then brought them to life. These inanimate objects suddenly became human.”

Hundred Weight Hammer features Tyler from Black Country New Road on bass.

If you like Bruce Lee, Ring Road, Peggy Sussed, Boy Boy Boy… then Hundred Weight Hammer belongs to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knGbjeIqkUs

potatobroth 06-06-2019 10:19 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 4, Part 3 - Hundred Weight Hammer

The Gorillaz.

I'll need a few listens to decide on this one.

spacejunk 06-06-2019 10:20 AM

So cool.

khouri 06-06-2019 10:31 AM

Not my cup of tea but points for really stretching stylistically. It'd be interesting to hear older Underworld songs performed in this live-sounding way, with real-ish drums and real-ish bass and largely unprocessed vocals.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-06-2019 10:32 AM

lol wtf

Dino3D 06-06-2019 10:36 AM

ohmyfukkk! This track is everything! One of the best things since the 90s!

dubman 06-06-2019 11:40 AM

If you like Bruce Lee, Ring Road, Peggy Sussed, Boy Boy Boy... then Hundred Weight Hammer belongs to you.

wow, can't stand two of these songs, let's see where this goes!!

well, that was terrible, but not maddening! I'm going to pretend it was for a soundtrack and ignore that one forever.

holden 06-06-2019 03:17 PM

This had a mid-90's Soul Coughing vibe for me. Slacker jazz, they called it. I used to like some of Soul Coughing's funky bass and hip hop beats and samples and beat poetry (e.g. Circles, Screenwriters Blues, Blame, etc.).

Anyway, kind of weird to hear a rougher, looser live feel from our electronically programmed Favorite band.

If this didn't have the sloppy bass but a synth synchopated bassline.... If a more danceable beat...and especially if it excluded the high pitched backing vocals.... Well, itd be a different song that I'd like better!

I have a hard time believing this will make it to the album. But then, who knows? Ring Road, Boy Boy Boy and Trim all made it to record, and I don't like any of them much. It's plenty different and we can't love all tracks, I suppose.

taotsu 06-06-2019 07:59 PM

The lyrics are killer. The sound is dope. The video is insane. Love it.

holden 06-06-2019 09:04 PM

Ok, not to be overly critical, but here goes:
Simon Taylor has more artistic talent and credentials than all of us.
But those masks? The video? This is something i could have/did create in art school in 7th grade.
I excuse a lot of Tomato videos as "high art concept" (see "Diamond Jigsaw" and "Louisiana"), but this is ...not so great.
It's a cardboard masquerade that we've all done at childhood birthday parties (down to the crappy creases and glue you can detect in the video)...only difference is, they're getting paid and accompanying a mediocre track with mediocre visuals. The black and white trick isn;t fooling anyone either.

Grump old man rant over. Nah, still upset. It's not fresh and new or ironic. It's just "art, don't question it or you don't get it". Oh, i went to art school, so i sort of get it.

Responsible replies are welcome