Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10971)

purlieu 06-07-2010 09:01 AM

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 122776)
Maybe I'm wrong but I think "Scribble" is going to be the template...it's got new shoes, but it's still UW all the way through, and besides it's great to see these guys exploring new sounds at this stage in their career.

I suppose this is the problem, I like the vocals and some of the synths, and it's really catchy, but whenver I listen to Scribble I do have this uncomfortable 'shut the fuck up High Contrast' rage bubbling inside me.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by //\/\/ (Post 122778)
surely adding your style and creativity to a song's raw material is remixing?

I don't think so but we're splitting hairs. Will reserve judgement. I just don't think this is going to end up sounding like a remix compilation.

khouri 06-07-2010 09:49 AM

I will very happily purchase Barking and listen with an open mind but my reaction to this news is not good. I'm afraid we're going to have another Holding the Moth/Scribble situation here, except with even more songs I loved initially -- Always Loved a Film, Moon in Water, Diamond Jigsaw, Between Stars -- getting the unnecessary everything-and-the-kitchen-sink production style.

I'd obviously rather have the proper Underworld/demo version of this and then see the band enjoy the potential benefits of a high profile remix album. Hoping more than ever for Underworld versions as B-sides a la Dirty/Cowgirl and Dark & Long.

joethelion 06-07-2010 09:49 AM

this sounds like it could be cool...

I mean - "Scribble" doesn't sound THAT far removed from the "Underworld sound" (like it doesn't not sound like UW)

I doubt "Bamboo" will be on the album (mmmaybe a bside). I say that just b/c it's been kicking around for so long, and the lyrics didn't really develop beyond the "Lenny Penne" ones.

I'm really hoping that like - "Hamburg Hotel (a/p Appleblim & Al Tourettes)" is "Telematic Peal" ... just b/c I could picture Appleblim doing something with the version f/ the June 11th Broadcast)

{EDIT}

having thought about it... I will be QUITE upset if we don't get a bunch of b-sides with this album! B/c there would at least be the "demo" version of almost every song... plus a lot of finished songs that we already know

ThingInABook 06-07-2010 10:16 AM

on paper reads/sounds like a remix album. just because u/w did some tracks and sent them to other people to produce them. maybe rick tought he needed feedback?

or maybe he needed other points of view.

scribble does sound like underworld with some extra production mixed. also, anyone remembers this version of between stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qepi...layer_embedded

this video was from last year, and maybe that was the original underworld version. this was after downpipe and probably they liked working with other people.

you know, it gets lonely in the studio...

bryantm3 06-07-2010 10:26 AM

i've never heard that version- that's amazing. way better than what i've heard.

darktrain 06-07-2010 10:29 AM

Additional production, remix, call it what you will...in any case, I'm sure R&K took a final pass on every track, so I really can't see this feeling/sounding like a remix album.

The one thing that did strike me as odd, though: no Pricey?!

starfox203 06-07-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 122787)
I'd obviously rather have the proper Underworld/demo version of this and then see the band enjoy the potential benefits of a high profile remix album. Hoping more than ever for Underworld versions as B-sides a la Dirty/Cowgirl and Dark & Long.

Why? Obviously UW made a very conscious and deliberate decision in this. Perhaps just UW-only demos wouldn't be very good. Besides there are / will be UW-only live versions. I have no doubt they know what they are doing.

Future Proof 06-07-2010 10:36 AM

Coming from a group of guys that brought Darren Emerson in to add the final spice to their tracks, I'm not at all concerned. This is Underworld's album, not PvD or High Contrast's and I'm sure that everything that made it to the record will be unmistakably Underworld, and not hijacked.

crank 06-07-2010 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=ThingInABook;122790]

scribble does sound like underworld with some extra production mixed. also, anyone remembers this version of between stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qepi...layer_embedded

Need A HIGH quality BOOT of this NOW.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 11:32 AM

i agree scribble didn't sound like the uw we are used to but it's damn good, I wouldn't care if this is a straight up country and western album if the music's great

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 11:33 AM

on second thought scratch that

starfox203 06-07-2010 11:35 AM

Bird 1 has GOT to be Strumpet. It sounds like an opener.

starfox203 06-07-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfox203 (Post 122802)
Bird 1 has GOT to be Strumpet. It sounds like an opener.

And listening to some Dubfire, sounds like a match, stylistically.

Dunwho 06-07-2010 11:53 AM

Ugh.... i was really looking forward to an Underworld album.

Not going to pass judgement till i hear it but there is nothing really exciting about hearing Underworld do collabs... especially after hearing how You Do Scribble turned out, this may be the least cohesive album yet, and I really wonder how it is all going to be live...

Bleh...:(

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfox203 (Post 122803)
And listening to some Dubfire, sounds like a match, stylistically.

yes, my thoughts too

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunwho (Post 122804)
Ugh.... i was really looking forward to an Underworld album.

Not going to pass judgement till i hear it but there is nothing really exciting about hearing Underworld do collabs... especially after hearing how You Do Scribble turned out, this may be the least cohesive album yet, and I really wonder how it is all going to be live...

Bleh...:(

have a little faith will you

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 12:15 PM

Always Loved A Film w/ Ramirez and whatshisface could turn out to be the best thing on the album. Really love that track and i'm excited they're going to use it on the album.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 12:16 PM

Jumbo used samples from fishermen in Louisiana, I wonder if this track uses more from that recording?

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 12:17 PM

also, i'm from Louisiana....therefore...STOKED!

bryantm3 06-07-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darktrain (Post 122793)
Additional production, remix, call it what you will...in any case, I'm sure R&K took a final pass on every track, so I really can't see this feeling/sounding like a remix album.

i'm okay with that. this should be the beginning of MK3.

Mike 06-07-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darktrain (Post 122793)

DP plays a support roll in the band, you see him on stage during live shows, but maybye not so much in the studio.

darktrain 06-07-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 122815)
DP plays a support roll in the band, you see him on stage during live shows, but maybye not so much in the studio.

Right, I just figured while they were throwing the door open to studio collabos that he might be included, especially since he's already familiar with the tracks.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 01:11 PM

I would love to hear what Price could have contributed to the album. His contributions to the live sets have been wonderful. Hope there's no hard feelings and Price continues to be a part of Underworld Live.

ThingInABook 06-07-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 122797)
Need A HIGH quality BOOT of this NOW.

me too, but it seems that nobody (with the exception of that vid) recorded anything from bestival.

Mike 06-07-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 122818)
His contributions to the live sets have been wonderful. Hope there's no hard feelings and Price continues to be a part of Underworld Live.

But what specifically has DP done live? Does he play a couple of his tracks from ableton... we don't really know do we? I mean underworld were amazing playing live in late 1999/2000 without him, why do they need him now?

Andrea 06-07-2010 02:01 PM

I was looking forward to an U/W album and maybe a second CD with remixes not only one remix album.
Even though I really like the latest collaborations like Beebop Hurry, Downpipe and Scribble.
Now I understand the colourful cover.... But PvDyk?! That was a big surprise.
Feels good that I´m at least not the only one here who question that.
I saw him in Stockholm for a couple of years ago and I wasn´t impressed by his "contact with the audience" (or shall I simply call it "lack of feeling"). But who knows, maybe he performs better in studio. I keep my fingers...

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 02:03 PM

The tracks Darren Price contributed have been great.

Yard Beat
Circus Faker
5ft5
Everybody Jack
Shake That Higher

I'm sure there are some i'm forgetting but those are the ones I can recall off the top.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 02:16 PM

I wonder if Always Loved A Film will have the same lyrics as the version from Brixton on Nov. 1, 2008.

I think this is going to be a great album. I love 5 of these songs in the versions i've heard so unless the collaborators really fucked them up, it's going to be crazy good.

Lx_Nen 06-07-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 122810)
also, i'm from Louisiana....therefore...STOKED!

I used to live just up the road from http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...297.52,,3,3.18 !

(and very squalid it was too!)

dubman 06-07-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future Proof (Post 122796)
Coming from a group of guys that brought Darren Emerson in to add the final spice to their tracks, I'm not at all concerned. This is Underworld's album, not PvD or High Contrast's and I'm sure that everything that made it to the record will be unmistakably Underworld, and not hijacked.

yeah, im not worried about this either.

purlieu 06-07-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 122789)
I mean - "Scribble" doesn't sound THAT far removed from the "Underworld sound" (like it doesn't not sound like UW)

Really? I've played the track to quite a few people and the response has been uniformly "that's Underworld?!", in both positive and negative lights. My girlfriend (an Underworld fan) has banned me from playing it when she's around, while another mate of mine didn't like them much until this song. Take away the vocals (and maybe the breakdown) and it sounds nothing like Underworld I find. Truth is, I've followed them for years, and enjoyed their incorporation of housey elements and techno elements and the occasional breaks, but I don't enjoy poppy drum'n'bass that reminds me of Chase & Status. Neither do I enjoy anything Paul Van Dyk has ever been near. I'm not interested in buying High Contrast's music or Dubfire's really. It's a shame I can't buy new Underworld without having that involved. Hmmm.

TheBang 06-07-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantm3 (Post 122792)
i've never heard that version- that's amazing. way better than what i've heard.

:confused: It sounds just like the live versions.

dubman 06-07-2010 04:33 PM

speaking of girlfriends, mine (being a casual fan) thought scribble was "odd".

"it's odd because: you have underworld, and they're usually a bit better... i mean at least a bit weirder than most other music like this. but this song isnt either of those, so you have just an average song and it's kinda boring, but this is underworld, so that's really weird."

which i suppose is more concise and level headed than me just pretending it hardly exists.

then we both shrugged and mumbled something about "they're just getting old i guess"

holden 06-07-2010 05:05 PM

Just checking the news now. "Barking" -fantastic! Recalls the Barking mix of King of Snake (excellent) and of course Barney (wink wink).

Well, as mentioned above, i'll hold off judgement on any of the collaborations until i hear them. personally, i think this is UW keeping it fresh, being inspired by fairly new producers with distinct styles, and being willing to have their music shaped to appeal to an even broader demographic of EDM listeners. No doubt it'll be unmistakeably Underworld, and since we're not guaranteed singles or EPs to hear remixes, the LP versions will be the definitive versions for a while - in which case, one will be hard-pressed to determine how much was UW production and howw much was collaborative/additional production.

When i saw "Always Loved a Film" and "Moon in Water" on there, my heart fluttered with happy. Finally, a finished album version of ALAF - and considering how solid the collab with Knight & Ramirez on "Downpipe" was, i'm sure this'll rock. And as for Moon in Water- that one seems to strike a deep nerve in me...reallly hoping this becomes an epic track on par with Juanita....

purlieu 06-07-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 122839)
personally, i think this is UW keeping it fresh, being inspired by fairly new producers with distinct styles, and being willing to have their music shaped to appeal to an even broader demographic of EDM listeners.

I thought they were sounding 'fresh' enough already without letting others change their sound for popularity.

holden 06-07-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlieu (Post 122840)
I thought they were sounding 'fresh' enough already without letting others change their sound for popularity.

Agree, we never know what to expect from Smith & Hyde, they tackle so many styles well, and are always up for experimenting - chalk this up to more of the same spirit of turning expectations on their ear?

If it makes us feel any better, UW have been at this a lonng time and certainly know what they're doing and have a very high standard of quality control (i.e. there are very few tracks that are universally panned, and even those have their fans and have redeeming qualities)...i'm sure they ddn't let the collaborators ruin anything, nor are they going to release anything they're not proud to put their name on.

when a single gets remixed, typically it's at the label's behest, not the band's. "Barking" is an UW album with collaborators certainly picked or preferred by UW themselves.

Let's just hopee summer moves along quickly, or there are more promos to hear before Sept.!

holden 06-07-2010 05:36 PM

Ok, so who knows who wrote the official press release but...

"All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade."

This assures us that the colaborators were chosen by the band, at least.

And also, what's this - finest collection in over a decade? Thatimplees this is better than "A Hundred Days Off" (ok, the band admit that was a safe bet) and "Oblivion with Bells" ? (interesting, since karl was quoted as saying that OWB was the album Rick always wanted to make.) Hmm.

In any case, the album is aimed for the dancefloor - if it approaches the heights of Beaucoup Fish in that regard, it'll be outstanding, imho.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 122829)
I wonder if Always Loved A Film will have the same lyrics as the version from Brixton on Nov. 1, 2008.

I think this is going to be a great album. I love 5 of these songs in the versions i've heard so unless the collaborators really fucked them up, it's going to be crazy good.

I'm thinking the same thing. Pretty much guaranteed this album is going to rule. If the 3 "new" tracks are as good as the rest, this may be their best album.

the mongoose 06-07-2010 07:00 PM

Moon in Water is one of my favorite tracks from last year.....I put it on almost every time I go in the hot sauna at the gym. So this is great news (High Contrast better not fuck it up though).