Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   static. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Your top ten.................. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9183)

Tiger 08-13-2008 06:56 AM

Your top ten..................

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/20..._are_1_tr.html

*runs, hides, and ducks for cover*:D

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 08-13-2008 07:44 AM

Re: Your top ten..................

Thank You. Smartasses.

BeautifulBurnout 08-13-2008 12:05 PM

I can't remember now exactly how the guy in High Fidelity listed his albums, but wasn't it something stupid like chronological order of events he associated them with or something? Was funny anyhoo.

My albums are in various piles around the house, on shelves, in corners, in boxes. A nightmare if I want to find anything. :D

dubman 08-13-2008 12:29 PM

looks like this article has less to do with lists and more to do with the kind of rock-n-roll-conservatory culture that includes lists. he's just going at it from this angle because it'll inflame more of the kind of people who just think they're fun to do overall and dont think it's all that significant past their personal love (so why make fun of that?).

aside from that the whole thing is pretty cheaply written and picking on an easy target. rock mythologists are easy to hate because rolling stone does such a good job of being up its own ass, and they perfectly typify the inane writing that attempted to make any given moment "realer than real" by being decadently descriptive and sensory. lists go along with that perfectly, being in the spirit of definitively establishing canon. yet they're constantly invalidating themselves in anyones mind if they dont mirror their own, so the let's-not-admit-to-that quest for an 'objective' one creates endless ones. and eventually churns out the head-slapping one he linked to, which is perfectly boring and awful.

the same sort of preservatory, re-release-happy, aging glut aspect of electronic music is mused about, and much better written, in this post.
the blog is generally a permanent grumbling malcontent in regards to dance and techno culture, which grinds a bit after awhile, especially if you dont share the cynicysm... but being that way does allow one to be more perceptive when it comes to the more alarming arcs and trends.

ps. i would like to have it noted that a pendulous gut is not a new symptom of rock fans showing their age. fat people have always been solid within rock and roll, just not onstage.

holden 08-22-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout (Post 100486)
I can't remember now exactly how the guy in High Fidelity listed his albums, but wasn't it something stupid like chronological order of events he associated them with or something? Was funny anyhoo.

My albums are in various piles around the house, on shelves, in corners, in boxes. A nightmare if I want to find anything. :D

Yep, sort of: he was filing "autobiographically", though not quite chronologically...more about associations.

I'm actually pretty Obsessive-Compulsive about my album collection. Grouped by artist and chronologically by release. Bootlegs are chronological. The whole thing isn't alphabetical (lame!) but grouped sort of by genre. As for mix albums, well they're in a pile!

Dirty0900 08-22-2008 01:01 PM

lager lager lager

ceramic'cow 08-27-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 100804)
Grouped by artist and chronologically by release. Bootlegs are chronological. The whole thing isn't alphabetical (lame!) but grouped sort of by genre. As for mix albums, well they're in a pile!

oh god. are you, like, my split personality?