Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18602)

saintrik 06-27-2019 09:39 AM

Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country

https://underworldlive.com/drift-parts/border-country/

Border Country is the second collaboration with friend of Underworld and DRIFT community member Ø [Phase] and the final part of DRIFT Episode 4. Lithe and restless, it edges and darts through unmapped spaces into a place where grimy nocturnal electronics are driven hard by fizzing hi hats and multiple voices ricochet in from the peripheries.

https://youtu.be/TwFkp1-R0DA

“My relationship with Ashley a.k.a Ø [PHASE] began in Autumn 2017 when I first heard his Submerged Metropolitan release.. it’s not an exaggeration to say I immediately fell in love with his music. There was a sense of journey and mystery and magic to what I heard. Having worked with him for a little while we know he brings that same magic to the table every time, informed by his deep passion and understanding of the lineage of Techno and a thirst to learn and grow. A lovely talented man.” Rick

“I got a message from my label manager sometime in late 2017 titled ‘contact re Underworld’. Apparently the guys were keen to meet to “talk about some ideas”… ?!?! Within just a few weeks of first meeting we were in Rick’s studio drinking tea, talking together and working on ideas…Border Country came into being gradually, like a photograph coming softly into focus before sharpening into a crisp image, maturing into its final form.” Ashley Burchett aka Ø [Phase]

“We’ve been performing Border Country live since November 2018 and though it had never been released we’ve seen how it instantly connects with audiences everywhere we play.” Karl

If you like… Low Burn, Dexters Chalk, Dinosaur Adventure 3D… then Border Country belongs to you.

purlieu 06-27-2019 09:52 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country

Yeah, that's really fucking good.

TheBang 06-27-2019 09:54 AM

Right?

spacejunk 06-27-2019 10:05 AM

They did it again!

Flywaver 06-27-2019 10:15 AM

I feel it's worth the hype! It's at 133bpm. Can't find any other Underworld tracks at that speed.It feels at a faster pace like eg Pearl's Girl or NUXX at 140bpm

khouri 06-27-2019 10:18 AM

Haven't heard an Underworld song like this for a long time; the kind of dark, visceral sound that fits their name. I love how the track has so much atmosphere, like it completely envelopes the listener and impedes the possibility of your attention wandering. Absolutely one of the best DRIFT tracks, to be sure.

darmok 06-27-2019 10:39 AM

!!!

When will Ep 4 be available to purchase? Next week?

Given that I preordered the box set, I think I'm going to end up having purchased each of these songs two or three times, and I'm totally fine with that.

negative1 06-27-2019 11:05 AM

awesome, just awesome.

later

stimpee 06-27-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywaver (Post 166023)
I feel it's worth the hype! It's at 133bpm. Can't find any other Underworld tracks at that speed.It feels at a faster pace like eg Pearl's Girl or NUXX at 140bpm

Surely Tin There is faster? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kerkshbzuo

Flywaver 06-27-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 166027)

I didnt say Border Country is fast.It sounds faster than 133bpm

negative1 06-27-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywaver (Post 166028)
I didnt say Border Country is fast.It sounds faster than 133bpm

maybe parts of it are faster, and the overall bpm just averages 133.

later

TheBang 06-27-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmok (Post 166025)
When will Ep 4 be available to purchase? Next week?

Yes, the description says this is the final part of Episode 4, so the EP will be available next week.

joethelion 06-27-2019 04:09 PM

I've only had the chance to listen to this once so far today, but is it just me or does the first like minute and a half / two minutes sound a bit like "Confusing the Sun"?

(the Quazar / Karl Hyde track, which - surprisingly - is on iTunes now)

deepfriedbeans 06-27-2019 05:16 PM

I'm in love.

philth 06-27-2019 06:25 PM

Two thumbs up from me. (Or whatever the equivalent phrase might be in young person speak these days!)

darmok 06-27-2019 07:24 PM

Still blown away. Reminds me a bit of Oliver Lieb's work as LSG, in a really good way.

domsgotsideburns 06-27-2019 08:32 PM

this is one of the best DRIFT tracks so far, no doubt. it sits up there with Listen To Their No and Appleshine Continuum for me. the visceral and bombastic intensity is the mere reason as to why this track so great...it really does hark back to the STITI era, especially with that high BPM. an absolutely essential release.

in the scope of DRIFT episode 4, i'm floored by how challenging this one has been. we have a couple of the most accessible and profound tracks (Listen and Border Country), but they bookend some of the most decisive DRIFT material yet (Hundred Weight Hammer and Altitude Dub). i wonder what adjustments (if any) will surface on the collated episode because i've been so mesmerised by its prolific nature.

dubman 06-27-2019 09:09 PM

Frisson Level: Success

i also enjoy karl's goofy blurb

"people seem to like this live"

yeah man, glad we scientifically road-tested the mass reception to "what if underworld brought the fast techno back". was kind of an unknown quantity before...

darmok 06-27-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns (Post 166038)
in the scope of DRIFT episode 4, i'm floored by how challenging this one has been. we have a couple of the most accessible and profound tracks (Listen and Border Country), but they bookend some of the most decisive DRIFT material yet (Hundred Weight Hammer and Altitude Dub). i wonder what adjustments (if any) will surface on the collated episode because i've been so mesmerised by its prolific nature.

Absolutely the best one so far for me... Schiphol Test is beautiful and Hundred Weight Hammer is exactly the kind of Ring Road / Peggy Sussed / Bebop Hurry mess I love. Can't wait for the collated episode.

whatmakesustick 06-28-2019 01:21 AM

This deserves its own 12" release with some tasty remixes and an extended/full version, then it could take over Ibiza this summer (although I am a little biased!). Loving 5:47 when it kicks in again after the breakdown.

Oh, and I'm loving the Tron like video too.

taotsu 06-28-2019 02:55 AM

I died and went to heaven when I first heard it this morning (JPN time) and have been dancing to this all day. Damn. If I ever get a chance to hear this live and in person.
The video, Simon has totally outdone himself, also hell the guy who’s made the CGI. This is totally cyberpunk for me. Original Ghost in the Shell, Neuromancer, descriptions out of Idolru, etc. Even that very unlucky Johnny Mennomic Movie.
Wish I know where they do the WNW shooting today. I would love to over there and give Simon a hug!

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-28-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns (Post 166038)

I'm curious about this as well, this is the first one where I can't really figure how these pieces fit together at all. at least they got a few days to figure it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166039)
yeah man, glad we scientifically road-tested the mass reception to "what if underworld brought the fast techno back". was kind of an unknown quantity before...

I know the Drift series has a lot of new and odd directions but I think it's awesome how they've sorta hit a lot of their various sounds from the past.. A huge banger was the only thing missing. i'm glad they can still do it.

spacejunk 06-28-2019 07:37 AM

What's that noise?

dubman 06-28-2019 12:15 PM

Anyone else find it really hard to hold off making their own Drift album now that this song is out? I've got an all-killer-no-filler 60 minute arrangement going right now that leans hard into the bangers and flows brilliantly. I'm in love, even though I know we have a whole EP left to go. I shouldn't even be doing this since the final album is inevitably going to backstab me and add something risible like HWH, but this kind of anticipatory burn is just too good.

crank 06-28-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166045)
Anyone else find it really hard to hold off making their own Drift album now that this song is out? I've got an all-killer-no-filler 60 minute arrangement going right now that leans hard into the bangers and flows brilliantly. I'm in love, even though I know we have a whole EP left to go. I shouldn't even be doing this since the final album is inevitably going to backstab me and add something risible like HWH, but this kind of anticipatory burn is just too good.

So what's your playlist then Brian? inquiring minds want to know!

hypeless 06-28-2019 03:30 PM

Before I knew what it was - the "youtube story" - video and sound both - posted made me think of the Playstation game Rez... especially since I remember reading they had wanted to use Underworld tracks for that game (but didn't get permission...)

Video definitely reminds me of Rez!

dubman 06-28-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 166046)
So what's your playlist then Brian? inquiring minds want to know!

haha! I'm not brian. was BLD brian? that would make sense. we were the same kind of dickhead...

alright playlist! it heavily favors EP1 as it's still a clear favorite for me...

Another Silent Way
Low Between Zebras
Listen to Their No
Intro BYTWB [though i should make my own 2:30 edit of this]
Appleshine & Continuum [made a 21:20 edit of these mashed together and it works!]
Universe of Can When Back
Dexter's Chalk
Border Country
(looking for another Low Between Zebras type interlude here)
Pinetum
(closer tbd, also hoping for EP5 to come through on it)

so even though it's incomplete if i really wanted to feel like i got The Definite Album, i have been putting this on a loop since i stitched it together and feeling great about it nonetheless. I am somewhat counting on the trend of the last installation of the series being the most ambient one (to mixed results imo, but some good ones nonetheless).
before anyone resents that threat of rain and other longform faves aren't on here, i was fairly ruthless with how i felt an album "works". threat of rain is great, i love it, but it's one giant noodle. it's barely a track. it doesnt extend what it starts on, just ass-grooves into its mood. it'd slow the whole thing down.

whatmakesustick 06-29-2019 12:00 AM

Have you considered Dune for your album closer? Seems perfect to me.

Bargo 06-29-2019 12:01 AM

It's so good that the seven minutes feels like it goes by in a fraction of that time. Been listening to it all day, just love it. Thanks UW. :)

dubman 06-29-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatmakesustick (Post 166049)
Have you considered Dune for your album closer? Seems perfect to me.

I considered it as a mid-album breather (a bit long), but not this! will try it out, thanks
Dune is of one of those strains where I have an essential hater energy for it but something about it sticks and I end up liking it. I can tell I'm in the middle of that process now

dubman 06-29-2019 03:27 AM

made my 21:20 edit of appleshine and its continuum just now and I'm quite pleased in that way where I know I've done it mostly if not exclusively for grubby selfish reasons, but it works for me!

taotsu 06-29-2019 03:36 AM

So, if I am not miscounting they said they had 3 or 4 more The Nick collars going? That would be an EP by-it-self. Also, if the album comes in October, there are hella lot of weeks open still, no? I guess there will be a summer break after next week, then No. 5 and then the album?! (And by gosh I cannot wait for November for the boxset!)

TheBang 06-29-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taotsu (Post 166053)
So, if I am not miscounting they said they had 3 or 4 more The Nick collars going? That would be an EP by-it-self. Also, if the album comes in October, there are hella lot of weeks open still, no? I guess there will be a summer break after next week, then No. 5 and then the album?! (And by gosh I cannot wait for November for the boxset!)

In the sleeve notes they said they recorded 5 or 6 jams with the Necks. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll get all of them, but I'd imagine probably one more for Drift.

I wrote a potential calendar of the remaining weeks here. Ep 4 was 6 tracks, so it might be something like the 2nd calendar I outlined.

taotsu 06-29-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 166054)
In the sleeve notes they said they recorded 5 or 6 jams with the Necks. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll get all of them, but I'd imagine probably one more for Drift.

I wrote a potential calendar of the remaining weeks here. Ep 4 was 6 tracks, so it might be something like the 2nd calendar I outlined.

That looks at least possible but I would also not be surprised if they make a dedicated EP as a Drift bonus, as they did with the soundtrack or as singles like the extended Sonia Mode. Well, I’m open to spending some money.

Cadevil 06-30-2019 02:26 PM

Great track...some of the high hats remind me of Dark Train...a really good consistent & fun banging track.

I feel like I get more of the track's intensity listening through headphones rather than on my car's stereo. Two very different experiences for me.

I'll give a (likely) unpopular opinion that this doesn't make the album--at least not in current form. It almost has a You do Scribble feel to it--Which was an amazing live track for many years before iterating to Scribble. You have to wonder why Border Country wasn't released for so long (haven't they been playing it live since last fall?). Perhaps they have been trying to "sharpen" Border Country in the studio?

Anyway my two cents...

holden 06-30-2019 05:51 PM

Fantastic atmosphere in the layers. A classic driving song, one of those relentless tracks that swallows up the road at a fast clip. Love it, especially the arps and vocal right before the 5:48 drop.

Any ideas on the lyrics?

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 07-01-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadevil (Post 166056)

I'll give a (likely) unpopular opinion that this doesn't make the album--at least not in current form. It almost has a You do Scribble feel to it--Which was an amazing live track for many years before iterating to Scribble. You have to wonder why Border Country wasn't released for so long (haven't they been playing it live since last fall?). Perhaps they have been trying to "sharpen" Border Country in the studio?

Anyway my two cents...

we don't really know what the album aims to do yet, do we? If it's a 'best of' Drift sorta thing, then the track is definitely making it, as UW themselves know it's a favorite. but you have to think they have other plans in mind. I've been listening to these EPs a ton so anything 'new' would be excellent.

potatobroth 07-04-2019 10:30 AM

its being released as Drift 4: Space. but i dont see any way to purchase the set as with the other 3. hmm.

darmok 07-04-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatobroth (Post 166075)
its being released as Drift 4: Space. but i dont see any way to purchase the set as with the other 3. hmm.

It was late, but I just got the set from iTunes.

potatobroth 07-08-2019 09:18 AM

yup i got it as well.