Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18602)

taotsu 06-28-2019 02:55 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country

I died and went to heaven when I first heard it this morning (JPN time) and have been dancing to this all day. Damn. If I ever get a chance to hear this live and in person.
The video, Simon has totally outdone himself, also hell the guy who’s made the CGI. This is totally cyberpunk for me. Original Ghost in the Shell, Neuromancer, descriptions out of Idolru, etc. Even that very unlucky Johnny Mennomic Movie.
Wish I know where they do the WNW shooting today. I would love to over there and give Simon a hug!

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-28-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns (Post 166038)
in the scope of DRIFT episode 4, i'm floored by how challenging this one has been. we have a couple of the most accessible and profound tracks (Listen and Border Country), but they bookend some of the most decisive DRIFT material yet (Hundred Weight Hammer and Altitude Dub). i wonder what adjustments (if any) will surface on the collated episode because i've been so mesmerised by its prolific nature.

I'm curious about this as well, this is the first one where I can't really figure how these pieces fit together at all. at least they got a few days to figure it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166039)
yeah man, glad we scientifically road-tested the mass reception to "what if underworld brought the fast techno back". was kind of an unknown quantity before...

I know the Drift series has a lot of new and odd directions but I think it's awesome how they've sorta hit a lot of their various sounds from the past.. A huge banger was the only thing missing. i'm glad they can still do it.

spacejunk 06-28-2019 07:37 AM

What's that noise?

dubman 06-28-2019 12:15 PM

Anyone else find it really hard to hold off making their own Drift album now that this song is out? I've got an all-killer-no-filler 60 minute arrangement going right now that leans hard into the bangers and flows brilliantly. I'm in love, even though I know we have a whole EP left to go. I shouldn't even be doing this since the final album is inevitably going to backstab me and add something risible like HWH, but this kind of anticipatory burn is just too good.

crank 06-28-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166045)
Anyone else find it really hard to hold off making their own Drift album now that this song is out? I've got an all-killer-no-filler 60 minute arrangement going right now that leans hard into the bangers and flows brilliantly. I'm in love, even though I know we have a whole EP left to go. I shouldn't even be doing this since the final album is inevitably going to backstab me and add something risible like HWH, but this kind of anticipatory burn is just too good.

So what's your playlist then Brian? inquiring minds want to know!

hypeless 06-28-2019 03:30 PM

Before I knew what it was - the "youtube story" - video and sound both - posted made me think of the Playstation game Rez... especially since I remember reading they had wanted to use Underworld tracks for that game (but didn't get permission...)

Video definitely reminds me of Rez!

dubman 06-28-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 166046)
So what's your playlist then Brian? inquiring minds want to know!

haha! I'm not brian. was BLD brian? that would make sense. we were the same kind of dickhead...

alright playlist! it heavily favors EP1 as it's still a clear favorite for me...

Another Silent Way
Low Between Zebras
Listen to Their No
Intro BYTWB [though i should make my own 2:30 edit of this]
Appleshine & Continuum [made a 21:20 edit of these mashed together and it works!]
Universe of Can When Back
Dexter's Chalk
Border Country
(looking for another Low Between Zebras type interlude here)
Pinetum
(closer tbd, also hoping for EP5 to come through on it)

so even though it's incomplete if i really wanted to feel like i got The Definite Album, i have been putting this on a loop since i stitched it together and feeling great about it nonetheless. I am somewhat counting on the trend of the last installation of the series being the most ambient one (to mixed results imo, but some good ones nonetheless).
before anyone resents that threat of rain and other longform faves aren't on here, i was fairly ruthless with how i felt an album "works". threat of rain is great, i love it, but it's one giant noodle. it's barely a track. it doesnt extend what it starts on, just ass-grooves into its mood. it'd slow the whole thing down.

whatmakesustick 06-29-2019 12:00 AM

Have you considered Dune for your album closer? Seems perfect to me.

Bargo 06-29-2019 12:01 AM

It's so good that the seven minutes feels like it goes by in a fraction of that time. Been listening to it all day, just love it. Thanks UW. :)

dubman 06-29-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatmakesustick (Post 166049)
Have you considered Dune for your album closer? Seems perfect to me.

I considered it as a mid-album breather (a bit long), but not this! will try it out, thanks
Dune is of one of those strains where I have an essential hater energy for it but something about it sticks and I end up liking it. I can tell I'm in the middle of that process now