Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 2, Part 3 - Threat of Rain (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18540)

mark3 02-07-2019 08:54 AM

Drift Ep. 2, Part 3 - Threat of Rain

It's on their YouTube channel now. 15 minutes long �� Haven't been able to listen to it yet myself

potatobroth 02-07-2019 09:03 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 3 - Threat of Rain

This Thursday’s DRIFT release, Threat of Rain builds from a murky locked techno groove and a looped refrain of “I’m good, I’m good… I’m alright” into an orchestra of analogue noise that swells and surges and at times obliterates everything around it.

The accompanying film by Tomato’s Simon Taylor and Rick Smith, looks and sounds like a lost recording of a musique concrète symposium being broadcast from the DJ booth of the Omen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMRFess-Xbo

spacejunk 02-07-2019 10:17 AM

Woah!

crank 02-07-2019 10:23 AM

whoa.

new but old.
deep and dark.

Pappie 02-07-2019 10:31 AM

Makes we want to go to concerts again....

dubman 02-07-2019 10:41 AM

Not what I’d call an inspired vocal loop but 15 minutes of this is going down real nice. Still, Karl could make this a classic if he was let loose on it.

crank 02-07-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 165021)
Not what I’d call an inspired vocal loop but 15 minutes of this is going down real nice. Still, Karl could make this a classic if he was let loose on it.

THIS. def. this.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-07-2019 11:00 AM

this is their longest track in a very long time isn't it?

TheBang 02-07-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 165023)
this is their longest track in a very long time isn't it?

If you don't count And I Will Kiss, then this is the longest since Ancient Phat Farm Coat.

holden 02-07-2019 11:45 AM

It's got a bit of a "Deep Arch" vibe, with the bass scale. Almost sounds like Rick got into the groove and jammed and that was the finished track, loose and experimental.

I imagine that happens a lot, especially given all the work in progress versions on the boxsets with dates and codes. Do you think they sort out improv parts they like and reassemble to become the finished track, or are any "live in studio" improvs ultimately the finished album track (not considering those labeled obviously as a jam, like Pearls Girl 14996 or aforesaid boxsets cuts)?

A quick 15 minutes of moody, noodly goodness!

Yannick 02-07-2019 11:56 AM

i can hear the modular setup in this one :P lovely:p

would mix well into kos

darkvoice 02-07-2019 12:23 PM

Almost the same length of this song (Paperclip People / Throw) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwS9jqbId0

khouri 02-07-2019 12:27 PM

This is probably the best of the Chemical Brothers soundalikes Underworld’s been doing recently. It’s probably unfair of me to characterize it like that but that band really owns those squelchy acid sounds, at least to my ears. This one sounded more like a hybrid. In a few more I think Underworld will find their own distinctive sound with this approach.

Karl remains the weak link on these new releases, though. When you listen to older stuff, even stuff as recent as Barbara, the lyrics can be sublime and tell a story; or at least give you enough to construct a story of your own. These recent releases just feel like random words thrown together; the kind of thing lazy journalists have accused Karl of doing for years.

Dirty Saint 02-07-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 165028)
Karl remains the weak link on these new releases, though. When you listen to older stuff, even stuff as recent as Barbara, the lyrics can be sublime and tell a story; or at least give you enough to construct a story of your own. These recent releases just feel like random words thrown together; the kind of thing lazy journalists have accused Karl of doing for years.

Don't agree with that at all! Underworld have always been about the rambling, obscure lyrics …. only the 2 most recent album lyrics could possibly 'tell a story' - everything before that makes little sense

holden 02-07-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Saint (Post 165029)
Don't agree with that at all! Underworld have always been about the rambling, obscure lyrics …. only the 2 most recent album lyrics could possibly 'tell a story' - everything before that makes little sense

Oh, I don't know about that last statement. "Dirty Epic" and "Moaner" have as clear stories, or at least strong hints as does "I exhale" or "Nylon Strung", for instance.

Yeah, you could take the lyrics as rambling or cutup, or deliberate clues to a certain vibe from Karl's life in notes. Maybe we make our own interpretations here and there. Still, I think the point was the lyrics in the Drift releases have been, with the exception of Low Between Zebras", rather sparse and more often a few repeated phrases. But that's true of many classic UW tracks. "Bruce Lee" and "King of snake" aren't terribly verbose. And repetition of phrase is an Underworld staple.

Personally, I really love the edge to "He doesn't want to talk to annnyyyone!" on "Dexter's Chalk, which also tells a bit of a story, too!

Dirty0900 02-07-2019 01:44 PM

Favourite song from the drift series so far.

negative1 02-07-2019 02:08 PM

to me, this is a standout track.

shades of the old underworld, with the song progression.

sure it could have more words. but i'll take it.

i don't expect everything to sound like this, but if they have more in
this direction, i wouldn't mind.

later

taotsu 02-07-2019 02:57 PM

Bloody love it. And their description of
Quote:

sounds like a lost recording of a musique concrète symposium being broadcast from the DJ booth of the Omen
is super on point. The found sounds in mix in with analog synths and digital beats make this whole track super layered.
It also does remind me of stuff I’ve found on net labels like bumb foot.

As for Karl “only dropping 2 lines”: I can get a whole lot of emotion in there. And I personally have never seen Underworld as operatic or bombastic like some 70s progrog band.
If the lyrics make sense cool, if not also cool, if will always draw a picture in my mind.

The journey so far has been amazing, both Drift parts and in between releases. What a lucky time to be a fan.

holden 02-07-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taotsu (Post 165034)
It also does remind me of stuff I’ve found on net labels like bumb foot.

As for Karl “only dropping 2 lines”: I can get a whole lot of emotion in there. And I personally have never seen Underworld as operatic or bombastic like some 70s progrog band.
If the lyrics make sense cool, if not also cool, if will always draw a picture in my mind.

Oh hey, i had a Bump Foot release some year's back! Nowhere in UW's league, but i agree with that assessment of the netlabel's aesthetic.

I don't think (anymore) that UW are a prog band, but they share the willingness to musically experiment, cross genres and care less for mas appeal and more for connecting with like-minded folks.

potatobroth 02-07-2019 07:33 PM

Drift 2 is killing it

taotsu 02-07-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 165039)
Oh hey, i had a Bump Foot release some year's back! Nowhere in UW's league, but i agree with that assessment of the netlabel's aesthetic.

Oh, cool! Care to share a link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 165039)
I don't think (anymore) that UW are a prog band, but they share the willingness to musically experiment, cross genres and care less for mas appeal and more for connecting with like-minded folks.

I think I can see what you mean, but particularly today’s “techno concrète” release I find had many progressive elements, Molehill to me is an outright progrock-esque track. But the best description about what UW is today, I would say electronic with strong experimental tendencies. :)

taotsu 02-07-2019 08:11 PM

Btw. Am I the only one who heard horse shoes earlier? I forgot which minute, but it starts as horse shoes and goes into a distorted beat.

bazwint 02-08-2019 04:27 AM

Fantastic release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 165028)

Spot on!

big screen satellite 02-08-2019 06:00 AM

This epic tune has all the elements that Darren Emerson brought to the table in 92. Good to see Smithy banging out some epic bass and acid squechlyness. Truly the best UW release in 10 years

potatobroth 02-08-2019 06:49 AM

This is totally random, but Threat of Rain reminds me of the song Vamos by the Pixies (the version from the album Surfer Rosa only). There's a long stretch where the drums steadily keep their beat while all of the other instruments take turns making squelchy noise and feedback.

undarrenworld 02-09-2019 11:47 AM

I really go back in time with this, such nice and distinctive vibe.

Drift Ep.1 < Drift Ep.2 ?

potatobroth 02-19-2019 07:09 AM

there's a sustained note at the end of this track (around 13:21) where it always makes me think of Donna Summer's "I love to love you baby". It sounds just like she's starting to say "Iiiiiiiiiii"

EDIT:

just sticking this here in case anyone wanted to know what an odd connection my brain made with these two songs:

its practically the first note that Donna Summer hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU