Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   buying promo cd's illegal? give me a break! (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7903)

negative1 04-11-2008 05:13 PM

buying promo cd's illegal? give me a break!

ok, maybe this thread can go somewhere else..
but there are collectors here, and it is about
the distribution of music.....somewhat related to underworld..

but this is just SOOOOO ridiculous:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ur-rights.html

are you kidding me?
throwing it away = distribution?

yes, i've read the article, and all the commentary, on
digg, slashdot, ars, etc...

ok, yes, if you solicit the cds, you shouldn't sell them..
now granted the guy selling them on ebay, might have
gotten them some other way (gray area)....we'll have
to see how that turns out..

but if you got them for free, or in the mail, you should
be able to do whatever you want with them..

i hope universal LOSES BIG TIME....if they don't , it could
mean that every free cd, or item in the mail has to be
returned, or you have to pay for it, even if you didn't
want it etc..

totally ridiculous...

can they (the music industry) please come up with some
mores to bug and alienate the fans....

later

gillenium 04-11-2008 08:11 PM

Re: buying promo cd's illegal? give me a break!

It's only a matter of time before you open up a cd case and see a warning that says "Warning: Before using CD, you must jam a pencil into your ear. Failure to comply can and will result in punishment by the full extent of the law."

Thank god digital sales are taking off. Pretty soon, we won't have the RIAA to worry about anymore (well, not as much, anyway).

chems1919 04-11-2008 09:27 PM

The most annoying thing is the copyright protection on some cds that make it so you can't burn the disc correctly. I don't know if they still make cds like that (I haven't seen one in a while, I remember "Push the Button" was giving me crap) but it was a definite turn-off.

But nowadays with the digital downloads, it seems like they're breaking free from it altogether. I still prefer cds and vinyls though, simply for the artwork and the "feel" of the music I guess.

TheBang 04-11-2008 09:55 PM

This is so retarded. This issue about the promo CD's seems to come up like once a year. I don't think the record companies have a leg to stand on. I agree with the EFF's filing, and I think the courts will too.

The record companies can slap all the labels on the discs they want, doesn't make it so. It's like the signs in parking lots where they're like "Such And Such Parking Company cannot be held liable for any damages to cars parked here." Just because they say they're not liable doesn't mean that they're completely free of all liability.

When they give out these CD's with no reasonable expectation of return, it seems pretty clear that there has been a transfer of ownership, and that it's not a rental, lease, or license. I think first sale doctrine absolutely applies.

Hm, maybe I'll run this by my friend who's an IP law professor at UC Davis.

BeautifulBurnout 04-12-2008 01:07 AM

The general principle is totally retarded, yes. But the reason they are suing this guy, it seems to me, is that he previously signed a consent judgment admitting that such sales constituted breach of copyright. So he is now walking about with a big circular target on his forehead if he keeps doing it.

It isn't the buying of the promo that would put someone in breach though. It's the selling of it if it is clearly marked "not for resale". But surely that can only affect the person to whom the promo was given. If they dispose of it by giving it away or throwing it in the bin, and it comes into someone else's hands without a money transaction, it is hard to see how record companies can enforce second or third-hand proprietary interests.

If I don't want my car any more and give it to you, or dump it, I can't then complain if you sell it to someone else for profit. Utterly ridiculous

If this were the case, charity shops would never be able to re-sell cds or dvds donated to them.

King of Snake 04-12-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chems1919 (Post 93648)
The most annoying thing is the copyright protection on some cds that make it so you can't burn the disc correctly. I don't know if they still make cds like that (I haven't seen one in a while, I remember "Push the Button" was giving me crap) but it was a definite turn-off.

thankfully the copy protection on cd's was dumped altogether by all the major lables sometime last year I believe.

cacophony 04-12-2008 05:51 AM

there's a record store in nashville called phonoluxe that sells promo CDs as probably a good 25% of their product stock. you can find stuff there you never even knew existed. i've got all kinds of discs stamped with the "here there be dragons, go directly to jail, a pox upon thee" warning, letting you know that the seller doesn't have a right to sell to you. still they sell them openly and no one seems to care.

it's one of the best independent record stores left. i've pumped a lot of money into the record industry as a result of getting my hands on cheap promos and subsequently wanting to own an artist's back-catalog. it would be a shame if this practice were totally put out of business because, as the name implies, the discs are awesome promotional devices.

potatobroth 04-12-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative1 (Post 93639)
...if they don't , it could
mean that every free cd, or item in the mail has to be
returned, or you have to pay for it, even if you didn't
want it etc.

you can't honestly believe this.

Dirty0900 04-12-2008 02:31 PM

I currently have 4 promo albums i have reviewed. All marked as promos, i aint had a note shoved in to return them.

In that case, how are nightclubs still legal? Records say they are not to be broadcast in public places etc, which is what happening in clubz.

crazysugarboy 04-12-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout (Post 93655)

If this were the case, charity shops would never be able to re-sell cds or dvds donated to them.

I bought a Fluke promo cd single from my local Oxfam shop last year - does this make me a criminal?