Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   iPod question (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4665)

gambit 10-18-2006 04:58 AM

Re: iPod question

They only let you rip CDs into m4a format? I've been ripping my CDs to mp3s via iTunes 7.

But anyway, I also bought this three year warranty thing with Best Buy so when my iPod's battery dies (or anything like that Apple's warranty doesn't cover) I can just take it into Best Buy and get a new one. The restore doesn't seem to have solved the problem, but oh well. I'll hope my iPod will be like adam's.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 10-18-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolute zero
I have the 60G video and I never had to reset it. A bit off topic here though, but does anyone know any good mp3 stores to buy "mp3"s, and not like itunes m4p/protected wmv files that you can't play w/other players like winamp? I really detest protected audio files that don't let me use media players of my choosing. I like 7digitial but they're a bit pricey (i'm poor w/the current american dollar british pound exchange rate)

I personally like the Russian stores like www.allofmp3.com ...it's pretty cheap (and I think this is the most expensive of them), but it's a legal gray area...it's not exactly the most legal thing if you don't live in Russia. I support it because the RIAA is opposed to them, to they point where they made up stories about stolen credit cards to try to get people to stop buying there.

ffolkes 10-18-2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambit
They only let you rip CDs into m4a format? I've been ripping my CDs to mp3s via iTunes 7.

But anyway, I also bought this three year warranty thing with Best Buy so when my iPod's battery dies (or anything like that Apple's warranty doesn't cover) I can just take it into Best Buy and get a new one. The restore doesn't seem to have solved the problem, but oh well. I'll hope my iPod will be like adam's.

no they don't only let you do that, but it saves disk space i suppose. anyways that's the way i did it about two years ago, and i'm not gonna repeat the process.

about the three year warranty: i got it for my new one as well. it's good to have cos the ipod is a PIECE OF SHIT

:)

selector 10-18-2006 05:41 AM

gambit, this may help...

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

sloff 10-18-2006 06:32 AM

The best part about the 3 year Best Buy warranty is that most of my portable/car electronics freak out in just that amount of time and I score a cheap upgrade. Had a few CD players die right on time to get the new model.
Wish companies would make products that didn't require me to do this though.

den 10-20-2006 06:46 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for mp3 players other than ipods?

I think I had one of the first generation 4GB minis and it worked fine for about a year, conveniently when the warranty had expired. I think the battery was going, but I had major problems trying to transfer songs. Even when they would transfer, the files wouldn't play. I tried all of the resetting and updating and restoring that I could. I even did some of the diagnostic tests and it gave some hard drive read error message. I went to the Apple store at the mall twice to see what the problem was.

Each time, those doucebags at the 'Genius Bar' or whatever the hell it's called, the first thing they asked, "Oh, well do you download illegal music from Kazaa?" Thanks. No, I don't. 90% of my music comes from cds and I was having trouble with those files too. "Well maybe your files are corrupt." How would that happen? "That's what data does. It corrupts." Well wouldn't my computer also be having problems? "Well the iPod is a very sensitive device." And you still live with you mom and work at the Apple store at the mall.

They'd restore it and I asked them to run the diagnostic test to make sure it was ok. He said it was fine. I went home and did the test myself and it gave the same error message.

I realized that when you send it in to get the battery replaced, they actually just send you a refurbished iPod. So theoretically I could pay $60 (warranty expired) and my problems should be solved. But I'd rather take a stand and my business elsewhere.

Bottom line, I've been using my discman for the past 8 months.

Recommendations?