Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DRIFT Series 2 speculation (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18634)

TheBang 09-12-2019 01:47 AM

DRIFT Series 2 speculation

"Did any of us ever seriously think there wouldn’t be a DRIFT series 2…?" - Karl

"It’s madness isn’t it?... We’ll do this together until we’re dust" - Rick

----------------

Songs we didn't get in Series 1:

Your Damage
Two Arrows
More Necks collabs
More Ø collabs

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 09-12-2019 04:57 AM

Re: DRIFT Series 2 speculation

i'm just gonna say it...5 Points for SURE will be on this one :)

negative1 09-12-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 166595)

too soon.

later

dubman 09-12-2019 11:14 AM

felt like EP5 was a limp to the finish with a lot of undercooked tracks and what-could've-beens. I'm... not excited for a series 2 to happen so soon?

khouri 09-12-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166613)
felt like EP5 was a limp to the finish with a lot of undercooked tracks and what-could've-beens. I'm... not excited for a series 2 to happen so soon?

For better or for worse, Underworld are plainly more interested in the process than the results. As artists that's their prerogative, but as commercial artists it's certainly a roll of the dice.

dubman 09-12-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 166591)
Songs we didn't get in Series 1:

Two Arrows

that'll be on CD5

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 166615)
For better or for worse, Underworld are plainly more interested in the process than the results. As artists that's their prerogative, but as commercial artists it's certainly a roll of the dice.

maybe it'll break through into something new/different, but I'm more apprehensive than anything else.
I've kept going on creative energy that's been spent before I admitted it, it's not pretty!

purlieu 09-13-2019 07:49 AM

Do we have a date for this? There's already a seven week gap between S T A R and the album itself, and if they leave a little bit of a buffer after the album is out it would mean they had two months off (ahem), hopefully a nice recharge.

I agree that Episode 5 felt a bit limp in comparison to the earlier ones - although the presence of half of it on the sampler suggests the band are less critical of it. Hopefully they'll have time enough to get into a groove to kick series 2 off, though.

I'm guessing this means we'll be getting another expensive boxset to purchase at the end of next year - I was hoping for the AHDO box next year, too.

TheBang 09-13-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlieu (Post 166633)
Do we have a date for this? There's already a seven week gap between S T A R and the album itself, and if they leave a little bit of a buffer after the album is out it would mean they had two months off (ahem), hopefully a nice recharge.

No clue yet. The remaining weeks here should be filled with World of Underworld releases.

They do like to take a break around Christmastime, so I would not expect anything before the new year. And even then, who could blame them for taking a few more months? Also, we don't know yet if they're going to do any extensive touring for the release of Series 1, which could impact when they start Series 2.

dubman 09-13-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 166636)
Also, we don't know yet if they're going to do any extensive touring for the release of Series 1, which could impact when they start Series 2.

I think this is the second time I'm doing this to you but I'm not trying to be a dick I swear

Quote:

Underworld will perform several shows this November and December around the album release, including a performance at London’s Wembley Arena on December 7th. Tickets are on sale now. The band will tour more extensively next spring

TheBang 09-13-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 166640)
I think this is the second time I'm doing this to you but I'm not trying to be a dick I swear

Quote:

The band will tour more extensively next spring
Nice, I had not seen that!
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...1-star-883355/

potatobroth 09-14-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 166595)

6 points!

TheBang 11-01-2019 05:26 AM

The press release today says (emphasis mine):

Quote:

DRIFT will return, and it will be different. Underworld will go where the hell they want. We’ll see you there.

purlieu 11-01-2019 05:33 AM

Haha, that's exciting. I'm not surprised they want to do something different - I suppose that's the whole point of the project.

crank 11-01-2019 07:38 AM

yeah, and honestly, that's how i read the cover art. they don't care what we think about it- that's what they wanted to put there. personally i hate it but whatever.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-01-2019 07:49 AM

I cannot hate any cover art that's a smiling dog. I just can't. the art feels in the spirit of AHDO - silly but it's also striking. I don't necessarily think they need to slap a piece of abstract art on the cover of all their LPs, in fact when the OWB cover came out I remember my first thought being "it's beautiful but we've kind of done this before haven't we?"

tbh it's the photoshop fail that bothers me the most about it. I remember someone pointing out that there were certain Led Zeppelin songs where you can hear the squeak of the bass pedal, and once you hear it you can't "un-hear" it...well that's the "R" in DRIFT for me. of course this only bothers me because I plan to listen to this A LOT so I'll be seeing that dog everywhere

dubman 11-01-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 167073)
yeah, and honestly, that's how i read the cover art. they don't care what we think about it- that's what they wanted to put there. personally i hate it but whatever.

If the rest of the cover artwork for the eps followed this same goofy, photo-roll kind of idea, then there might be something to understand from it all, but we've gotten all of these terrific, ephemeral abstractions and then: DOG. THE DOG IS ON THE COVER. OUR DOG. IT'S GREAT. DOG.

i guess.. i hope they amused themselves at least.

ANYWAY,

I think they're going to scale it down to month-to-month instead of week to week. no reason they can't give us archival goodies in the interim weeks, but i can't see this whole deadline-every-thursday thing being sustainable for another year. it made rick start smoking again!

purlieu 11-01-2019 11:16 AM

If it's something like that, I'd imagine it'd be more a case of them throwing out an archive track when there's not something new ready, so it won't be in regimented five-or-six week blocks, but scattered throughout the year. Which sounds like the purest form of the experiment.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-01-2019 11:40 AM

new songs!
new videos!
new dog!

khouri 11-01-2019 12:02 PM

I think it was Warwicker who was into the abstract, typographical stuff. Simon Taylor obviously likes photographs, based on Barbara Barbara and the Drift releases.

dubman 11-01-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 167092)
I think it was Warwicker who was into the abstract, typographical stuff. Simon Taylor obviously likes photographs, based on Barbara Barbara and the Drift releases.

I'm talking about the EP artworks though.

lemonjelly 11-07-2019 05:27 AM

are we hoping for a WOUW release today? Or are we expecting a break, perhaps til after the shows, with something in the new year?

I'm assuming there will be a period of allowing series 1 to be digested as a whole.

dubman 11-07-2019 09:48 AM

I assumed it was over and that we'll get an xmas email saying they'll be back in, like, february with the new plan.

but there's also a bottomless pool of archival possibilities, soooooo.....

crank 11-07-2019 12:46 PM

yeah, normally by now there'd be a treat in my inbox. nada.

purlieu 11-07-2019 12:55 PM

I think they deserve a break, even from the archival stuff. My prediction would be Series 2 will be January to December 2020.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-07-2019 02:06 PM

can't believe these lazy bastards

lemonjelly 11-08-2019 01:24 AM

Guess I was just being phenomenally greedy then!
In that case, I ought place on record my deepest gratitude to everyone for all the releases across the year.
I will trust they're spending the time preparing for the shows in December.

holden 11-25-2020 12:18 PM

So, digging this back up...
Obviously, the pandemic has changed everyone's plans in many ways, and perhaps it's affected Drift series 2. Any insights as to if/when we might hear something new? I've got nothing, just hope...

khouri 11-28-2020 08:43 PM

Obviously we can't know their reasons but I have been surprised that Underworld didn't start up Drift 2 or some other project during the pandemic. The case for most people seems to have been an abundance of free time. I was just reading about how Kylie Minogue recorded most of her new album at home, even teaching herself how to use Logic so she could engineer her own vocals, and creating a pretty cool live show to stream from home. That's just one example, of course.

That said, it seems unlikely Rick and Karl have just been idle.

Mike 11-29-2020 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 168400)
That said, it seems unlikely Rick and Karl have just been idle.

I agree - it would be surprising if there has been nothing happening creatively. I'm sure they are not holding back any creative output for ego sake, but I am glad they are not jumping on the "lockdown set" bandwagon. After all they were doing it 15 years ago... before COVID-19 existed.

Reading this also made me think about how some of Underworld's creative output has been ahead of it's time, pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

Just some examples:

"Experimental Sound Field" an experiment in audio engineering and resilience in live jamming.

Band updates by Fax:
https://www.borndirty.org/forums/att...1&d=1606637468

underworldlive.com - Seeing how the internet could work for them - especially very early days with text / videos diaries / music downloads

Everything, Everything - A superbly engineered live show, and taking advantage of what the DVD format had to offer above a "video" with programable playlists, 2 video "angles" with completely different visuals and additional content available online.

Riverrun - Selling digital downloads on their own store? Was anyone else doing this back then?

Live radio shows and jams from the studio 2004 - 2009 - streaming online... who else was doing it then?

DRIFT - Releasing 5+ hours of new music in 1 year - challenging the traditional album concept - and then they fulfil us with snippets of the past and new versions of old gems in between chapters.

Reflecting on this would probably make a good article on borndirty one day.

purlieu 11-29-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 168402)
Live radio shows and jams from the studio 2004 - 2009 - streaming online... who else was doing it then?

Probably not many, although it's worth remembering that FSOL started doing that kind of thing in 1994.

khouri 11-29-2020 01:30 PM

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the very first person to sell a digital download song was David Bowie, but possibly Prince?

purlieu 11-29-2020 02:16 PM

Actually, FSOL (again) have the Guinness World Record for first internet release. I think it was free, mind you.

jetpig 12-01-2020 11:19 PM

Drift 2 is gonna be a return to the classic singles leading up to album release cycle of DNBWMHM. Also only sold in brick and mortar stores.

joethelion 12-10-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 168404)
I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure the very first person to sell a digital download song was David Bowie, but possibly Prince?

I think it's all down to how it's phrased:

Because Duran Duran claim to have released the "internet's first-ever digital single for sale" ... but that was in September 1997, and Bowie's "Telling Lies" came out as a digital single in September 1996 - a full year earlier, albeit as a free download.

However, I don't know if you could technically call Bowie's "Telling Lies" 'a digital single' because they released a new remix each week, for three weeks. So, I guess it comes down to - whether or not you consider the staggered release as negating "the single" ...but then again, the downloads eventually were released in physical format as well.

Prince might've been the first to have exclusive releases available online? (Does that sound right?) ...Or he may have been the first (or one of the first) major performers to release an album as a download.

So maybe it was just that Duran Duran were the first to charge for a digital single.

purlieu 02-22-2021 01:41 PM

Thinking about the current sporadic drops, with an older alternate mix and selling off some old remix 12"s and such, and listening to Drift Series 1 with a few alternate versions on the final album, I began to wonder if Drift Series 2 might see a return to the self-remixing thing. Maybe each episode would start with a track and then we'd hear it develop over a few weeks into something very different. Then onto a different track. I'm not sure how well it would translate to a final 'product', listening-wise, but it would be a something different for them to try. Imagine getting Dirty, Dirty Guitar and Dirty Epic over the space of three weeks. Or Pearls Ver2, Pearl's Girl, 14996 and Tin There.

edit: from the Cowgirl drop, this is exactly the kind of thing I mean:
Quote:

Sometimes, before records arrive at their perfect point - all compact, tight and bright - they’re allowed to stretch their legs fully in order to explore their own perimeters. Mixes are carried out live, they journey around the edges of the mixing desk, following a note to see where it leads.

This previously unreleased version of the 1993 single Cowgirl is such an experiment in sound. Mixed live a few weeks before the final version arrived, this is an expansion of familiar sounds across nearly eighteen elastic minutes. It is both a chance to understand a working process and a killer piece of music in its own right.