Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 5, Part 3 - Imagine a Box (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18626)

TheBang 08-22-2019 05:23 AM

Drift Ep. 5, Part 3 - Imagine a Box

There’s a blue sky but a storm’s brewing out at sea. Hear it in the modulating synths, the pictures painting words. Fairytale summer? There could be trouble ahead. Leave the light on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79bWsFwOZDg

If you like… Air Towel, Between Stars, Little Speaker, Trapped... then Imagine a Box belongs to you.

------------

Looks like a digital single release again this week. No free download.

holden 08-22-2019 05:33 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 5, Part 3 - Imagine a Box

Yeah, i found it was up on streaming services before YouTube or the Facebook announcements. Seems like sometimes they have the episode ready and spring it early, whereas other tracks might still be in progress til deadline, hence a later-in-the day announcement and download.

Right, so...the synth is fun, and the vocals are fine (sort of a skym feel?) But, they clearly are not in the same key or melody. Gives the same impression as D5 ep.2, that two in-progress tracks were smashed together to see what happens. (I do this a lot with my own unfinished tracks, trying to make something epic out of halfway there tunes). Its distracting, unfortunately

4thDrawerDown 08-22-2019 05:34 AM

Hmmm - not sure about this at all

Sounds very much like a discarded LP out-take (discarded for obvious reasons at that)

domsgotsideburns 08-22-2019 06:01 AM

i think this is excellent. by my first impression from the teaser, it sounded like Schiphol Test with more punch to it - but it's more than that. it's quite chaotic with all the dissonant synths and Karl's echoed vocals. although his hums are really, really excellent here. i don't think the band has created anything like this before.

personally, the first couple of tracks in episode 5 have been underwhelming. i can confidently say that i've enjoyed almost all of the DRIFT material thus far, but the introduction to this episode has been incredibly challenging. Toluca Stars feels like a chore to go through with its little to no progression, and Mile Bush Pride faces the UoCWB film edit problem; it's too underdeveloped in its current form. Imagine A Box has revitalised my spark for this episode. i've now been waiting with no expectations (although i still crave for that acid techno Reykjavik promo :D) so i'm very curious to see where this episode will taken next

domsgotsideburns 08-22-2019 06:09 AM

oh and i also forgot to mention the video- i've always imagined that there should have been a DRIFT film with the boys and the World of Underworld designs on Spotify combined together. amazingly, this video pretty much answers that vision! :eek:

purlieu 08-22-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 166448)
and the vocals are fine (sort of a skym feel?)

Yeah, the first thing I thought was Skym.

I have no idea what to make of it at all though. It definitely feels unfinished. Odd song.

crank 08-22-2019 08:32 AM

I'm really digging this one.

potatobroth 08-22-2019 09:20 AM

i quite like it, even if it doesn't feel wholly unique.

I also really like Mile Bush Pride and Toluca Stars. Both have gotten lots of play this past week.

khouri 08-22-2019 12:03 PM

In another era I think we'd appreciate this one for being a neat little b-side. That's kind of a flaw in the Drift system; every track is being scrutinized as though it were a single or album track.

potatobroth 08-22-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 166455)
In another era I think we'd appreciate this one for being a neat little b-side. That's kind of a flaw in the Drift system; every track is being scrutinized as though it were a single or album track.

i see what you mean, but ive been treating them as Riverrun/Random Works. The album will be the final result. I'm okay with half-finished tracks this way.