Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   bound. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Comic Recomendations (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3618)

Skie 05-28-2006 01:51 PM

Comic Recomendations

I guess more what I'm looking for is recommendations for trade paper backs and graphic novels, unless it's something new out that's really good. I don't want to start trying to collect a bunch of back issues for a story. Sandman and Watchmen are a couple of my favorites. My somewhat guilty pleasure is Ultimate Spiderman. Manga is cool as well, I really liked Ghost in the Shell and enjoy the Lupin series.

adam 05-28-2006 02:17 PM

Re: Comic Recomendations

I really, really am fond of the Akira manga, which Dark Horse republished a few years back as a collection of six books. I'm not sure how hard that is to find, but if you can, it's well worth it.

I also quite enjoyed the Bone series, which is widely available. It's in a fairly different vein than anything else out there these days. Sort of a cross between Pogo and Lord of the Rings, which is as odd as you'd think.

I would recommend Frank Miller's Daredevil collections. His work on that comic was pretty novel at the time. There are far more imitators these days, but few are as good.

gambit 05-28-2006 03:50 PM

Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina both written by Brian K. Vaughan. These series are amazing. Y: The Last Man follows Yorick Brown and his pet helper monkey, Ampersand (y'know, this symbol "&"), after, inexplicably, everything on the planet Earth with a Y chromosome is killed. Yorick is literally the last man on Earth, and trust me, that's a fucked up world. Ex Machina follows the new mayor of New York, who used to be the world's first superhero (names escape me at the moment). It's a very political comic as the mayor tries to deal with his job (gay marriage, offensive art) and his past life (the source of his powers, old enemies/colleagues), and it's set more or less in the real world. Great stuff.

Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore. I suggest the pocket books since you get more bang for your buck. Anyway, this is a romance comic following the on-again/off-again relationship of Katchoo and Francine, and they'd probably be a couple by now if Katchoo's past and Francine's family/religion/upbringing didn't get in the way. It's extremely funny, dramatic, and heart-breaking all at the same time. A must read.

Tom Strong by Alan Moore. Classic pulp sci-fi hero stuff, and Alan Moore does a great job with this series. It follows Tom Strong, a super-strong super genius and hero of Millenium City, and his adventures and battles that ensue. It's just a lot of fun to read this series, and Chris Sprouse is an amazing artist. Love it.

mmm skyscraper 05-28-2006 05:10 PM

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

Manga:

Appleseed
Dr. Slump
Planetes (if you like space stuff)

den 05-29-2006 02:02 AM

I know absolutely nothing about comics or graphic novels. But the Musuem of Contemporary Art in Chicago has an exhibit on Chris Ware right now, whose most well known for his 'Jimmy Corigan, The Smartest Kid on Earth' grapic novel, which is really fantastic. That's all I've really been exposed to, but it's pretty engaging.

Here's a link discussing the exhibition and Ware's work.

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/48760

darktrain 05-29-2006 08:54 PM

add Runaways to the Brian K. Vaughn list. great stuff, that.
also, The Ultimates.

and the absolute best trade i can recommend from last year is Great Lakes Avengers! sounds silly, right? it is, but it's wonderful:D

Edit1: my favorite two comics of all time are collected nicely in trades: The Maxx and Preacher. MUST READS!

Edit2: for tripped out art, check out Ashley Wood's Popbot

sanakan 05-29-2006 09:34 PM

my most favorite (well, perhaps second favorite, as nothing beats wattersons calvin & hobbes :) ) comics are by french artist marc-antoine mathieu. note that these are very different from american (DC-style) comics and mangas as mentioned above.
i like his comics for two things: the simple but yet detailed style of drawing, and the stories... it's hard to explain, but each of his book is mindboggingly astounding. with his ideas he even breaks the limitation of a "normal" comic. example?
- in one book there's a frame of the protagonist stating something along the lines of "it seems this has already happend". if you turn to the next page, you realize that this panes was acutally cut out and you've been reading it on the next page....
- he has written a whole comic with mirrored frames ("Le Début de la fin", the beginning of the end // the title on the back is "La fin du Début"..."): the whole thing is mirrored in the center of the book where the protagonist goes through a mirror. even the site-numbering is mirrored (begins as -32, goes to 0 in the middle of the book, then to +32)

on this german site you can find some sites from his book (click on the navigation at the left where it lists his titels "der ursprung" to "tote erinnerung").

my other favorite artists include the drawings of moebius and stories of jodorowsky who also write things to warp your brain :)

Malt Refund 05-30-2006 05:26 PM

Wow thats awesome, I thought I was the only Jodorowsky fan in the whole world. Metabarons for the WIN! I wish he'd write more.

My favorites right now are: Concrete, 100 Bullets, Hellboy, The Walking Dead and Invincible. Anything Chris Ware also wins. I run the tiniest Chris Ware community on LJ.

Kennrr 05-30-2006 08:28 PM

Battle Royale manga is great. i've read the book, seen the movie and I think the manga is the best. gorey and get all the cool side stories from each character.

gambit 05-30-2006 08:32 PM

Maus by Art Spiegelman. This won the Pulitzer back in 92, and it completely deserves it. It follows Art as he chronicles his father's time in Auschwitz during WWII by depicting Jews as mice and Nazis as cats (and other nationalities as other animals). It's funny, depressing, heart-wrenching, and just a phenomenal piece of art.

Channel Zero by Brian Wood. The religious right has taken over the American government, and has more or less outlawed free speech. Anyone trying to express an opposing viewpoint to the government risks death, but most Americans don't care. In comes Jennie 2.5, a performance artist turned freedom fighter, and she starts a revolution by hacking the airwaves. Originally written and drawn back in 97, I think, it's a pretty damn scary read now, but highly recommended.

Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar (and the artist I can't remember). Y'know how Kal-El landed in the heart of Kansas and was raised on American values? Well, scratch that; Kal-El landed in the Ukraine and was raised on Soviet values, becoming the heir to Stalin. Think about Superman's powers of sight and hearing, and he becomes the scariest Big Brother ever imagined. Just a great twist on a story we all know by heart.