Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   craft. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dirty Compilation 2010: Quietly Violent (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16957)

holden 08-14-2010 07:57 AM

Dirty Compilation 2010: Quietly Violent

It's that time of year again!
Who's ready to make some dirty music?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunwho (Post 143957)
Deadline: October 31st
Theme: "Quietly Violent"
Format: Wav. Aiff. Flac.. some sort of Lossless file please!

Sending instructions:

Since I am going to sort out hosting the compilation on DirtyGrooves, and as I can also master the tracks to make the levels unified across the album, I will offer to receive all the tracks as they are made available.

Please send a link to download the track to blackbox@dirtyradio.org and make Dirty Compilation as the subject so that i know it isn't just another spam email!!

Information:
Please make the song filename as follows: "band name-song name.wav" for example: "In The Black Box - Thirst.wav"

And include some biographical information or whatever in the email with a photo we can use to include in the pdf booklet that will be included in the digital download.

Dunwho 08-14-2010 12:19 PM

Re: Dirty Compilation 2010

Like I said in the other thread count me in!

purlieu 08-14-2010 03:15 PM

Please!

polar_action 08-17-2010 01:29 AM

I'm on board if you'll have me!:)

holden 08-18-2010 06:35 PM

Of course!

More takers?

And also, should we pick a theme again? The music's going to be super-diverse regardless, but sometimes having a starting point adds a bit of cohesion.

Recent memory compilations:

2003- Power On:
2005 - Dirty Musicians
2006 - Sounds for a dirty summer
2007 - Dreamgirl, I'm Desperate For You
2008 - Evidence of Autumn
2009 - Sweet in Winter, Sweet in Rain

So, sparing Sprintime, we're almost through the seasons. Do we take an UW lyric? Something dirty or completely random?

Dunwho 08-19-2010 06:30 AM

How about something from the new album?

Bullets in Sweet Collision?

or

Quietly Violent?

or

Can You Feel it?

or

And its so GAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Well one of the first three anyway ;)

Buji 08-21-2010 07:59 AM

Count me in again!

holden 08-29-2010 02:28 PM

Buh-ump!

Who else is in?

bryantm3 08-29-2010 06:39 PM

someone explain this to me, and please tell me if the genesis b side "evidence of autumn" was what inspired the title. this sounds like it could be fun.

holden 08-29-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantm3 (Post 143439)
someone explain this to me, and please tell me if the genesis b side "evidence of autumn" was what inspired the title. this sounds like it could be fun.

Oh yes, it was! UW and Genesis vie for top spot in my musical heart.

But that's not the point.

Point is, every year, we pick a theme and let our individual creative tendencies run wild. We compile them and it always turns out veryyyy interesting! Up for contributing?

bryantm3 08-29-2010 08:59 PM

is this like a mandatory thing if you sign up? i'm not very good at creating music, but i have some ideas and i might be able to work something out. it could be fun, but if i end up making a four minute track of ferris bueller's vomiting noises, don't be surprised.

bryantm3 08-29-2010 09:00 PM

oh, and btw, AWESOME! genesis is my favourite group (underworld is a close second, sorry guys!)

unwound floors 08-30-2010 01:26 AM

Any idea of where a deadline would be? I'd love to take part (it'd be good inspiration to finally get something *finished*!) but I anticipate uni kicking my arse in coming months...

froopy seal 08-30-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantm3 (Post 143443)
but if i end up making a four minute track of ferris bueller's vomiting noises, don't be surprised.

Quote:

genesis is my favourite group

Like father, like son, eh?

No, wait - didn't he say, "No Son of Mine"?

Sorry.

King of Snake 08-30-2010 02:16 AM

well I've got some stuff that I'm almost done with already anyway, so I can definitely contribute something this year again :)

Camiel 08-30-2010 11:57 PM

Of course I'm in.

bryantm3 08-31-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froopy seal (Post 143450)
Like father, like son, eh?

No, wait - didn't he say, "No Son of Mine"?

Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8enlzO8PWs

not sure what you meant by that, but this is why genesis is my favourite group. give it a listen.

Camiel 08-31-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

is this like a mandatory thing if you sign up? i'm not very good at creating music, but i have some ideas and i might be able to work something out. it could be fun, but if i end up making a four minute track of ferris bueller's vomiting noises, don't be surprised.

Check out some of the earlier compilations at www.darksounds.org , then you get the idea. It's not mandatory.

Dunwho 08-31-2010 07:01 AM

Hey Guys....

Ok, So with the new project beginning to gather momentum I am eager to put forward a few proposals to help bring our compilations into a more modern music world.

Last year we hosted the 2009 compilation on DirtyRadio.org and through various other sites. The compilation was never added to darksounds.org nor was it reunited with the previous compilations...

... we have to change this..

Recently I have initiated a move towards setting up a small netlable for dirtyradio.org through which we intend to release free to download compilations. However as we try to enhance the dirty community for everyone (the fruits of which will be enjoyed soon), I have been eager to extend this to the dirty community and offer a definitive location for all of the darksounds projects where everything from the ID3 to the cover art... to pdf booklets and info on the artists can be provided in one fast download to all who are interested. I want to take these compilations out of the darkness and get them out for all our new and old members to hear and see.

DirtyGrooves Records will distribute it's music through a bandcamp page and will of course be free to download. This will in turn be at the heart of the dirty community and its websites and out in the open and clear for everyone to click onto and find... even casual visitors. Bandcamp also offers embeddable players for us all to promote the albums with .. and of course get it exposure through dirtyradio... facebook.. twitter etc..

I am going to need some of you to get the earlier compilations to me in as good a format as possible if i am going to make this work.

This is going to be a new era for the dirty community and I want to make sure that this project which has been so successful thus far does not fall behind...

So I am offering DirtyGrooves Records as the new label through which we can release our compilations... let me know what you think.

Lx_Nen 08-31-2010 03:09 PM

That's brilliant! I can provide my old tracks in whatever format suits, I have the uncompressed audio archived here. Perhaps DirtyGrooves could even release some solo projects from us dirts?

holden 08-31-2010 06:43 PM

Dig it, Dunwho!

I also have a netlabel, Believe In Billy Records, and if you guys don't mind cross-promotion, i can announce and release this years' compilation there, too.

The more the merrier. Promotion's the name of the game when it comes to free music, i've learned, as there's so much out there vieing for listeners' ears.

Let's take some chances with this year's compilation, no?
I'll strive to stretch and break my typical output, for one...

Dunwho 08-31-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 143595)
Dig it, Dunwho!

I also have a netlabel, Believe In Billy Records, and if you guys don't mind cross-promotion, i can announce and release this years' compilation there, too.

The more the merrier. Promotion's the name of the game when it comes to free music, i've learned, as there's so much out there vieing for listeners' ears.

Let's take some chances with this year's compilation, no?
I'll strive to stretch and break my typical output, for one...

Cool cool... Holden do you mind sending me downloads for all the albums? I only have last years and while i can get 2008 and 2007 from darksounds.com I would really like to get the 2006 and older albums too!

Yes lets promote the fuck out of it!

However what I intend for DirtyGrooves is for it to finally give all the compilations a definitive home.. and it will feature on the dirty websites.. here on the forums and through Dirtyradio... so everyone will be able to get their hands on the whole catalogue.. whenever they want.

But for the most recent album of course lets get as many people distributing it as possible!

Buji 09-01-2010 01:45 AM

Sounds like a great idea.
I think it will be great for the comps to have a home to direct listeners to, keeping everything in one place stops any confusion and makes promoting it a lot easier.
Also think it would be cool to have it on Holden's label page too maybe direct link to dirtygrooves from other sites when promoting or we could get a widget that people can post up on sites.
Anyway big thumbs up from me!

Camiel 09-02-2010 01:01 AM

wOOt. I like the enthousiasm about this every year again. I've got an acid track ready for this year's compilation http://soundcloud.com/tfhats/hast-du-angst and I'm gonna work on a dubstep track too.

polar_action 09-02-2010 02:21 AM

I'm right up for it folks... The thing we need now is an end date.

I need a schedule to work to (i.e. I'll probably surf the net until 2 hours before the date then lob something together which could've been a lot better)

:)

TheBang 09-02-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunwho (Post 143066)
Quietly Violent?

I like this idea for theme. Somewhat oxymoronic, allows for a wide latitude of interpretations.

Camiel 09-02-2010 05:25 AM

Me too.

Buji 09-02-2010 06:05 AM

I really like 'Quietly Violent' too, would be happy with this!

bryantm3 09-02-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

And its so GAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
i'm really feeling this one, guys.

big screen satellite 09-03-2010 01:22 AM

nothing to contribute except a title:

either of these:

Parking
Larking
Darking

;)

froopy seal 09-03-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantm3 (Post 143519)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8enlzO8PWs

not sure what you meant by that, but this is why genesis is my favourite group. give it a listen.

Removed due to violation of terms of service. :(

I was just kidding. Have to admit that I like a few of their tunes as well, esp. Driving the Last Spike from We Can't Dance.

(Sorry for taking this farther off-topic. Don't have anything to contribute except support for BSS's excellent title suggestions. ;) )

holden 09-03-2010 05:20 AM

i like "Quietly Violent", too. Allows for down and up tempo tracks. Not that we'll have a problem being eclectic!

Soon, i will get together theprevious compilations so we can put them in one place for DL.

Seems like we're getting a critical mass of contributors. Sure, some might drop out, but more can be added.

Shall we make a tentative date to submit finished tracks? It's early September. Is it possible to have them done by October 31? That way if we slip into November, we can still have this out this year? Whatever works best for most people's schedules...

Camiel 09-03-2010 05:30 AM

October 31 is fine with me.

I have already one track ready.
If nobody is taking the title as a track title, then my next track is called quietly violent. :D

Caprice 09-03-2010 07:01 AM

I want to contribute something.

Cadevil 09-03-2010 02:20 PM

I may be interested in adding something.

Dunwho 09-03-2010 08:24 PM

Ok so just to get things clear...

Deadline: October 31st
Theme: "Quietly Violent"
Format: Wav. Aiff. Flac.. some sort of Lossless file please!

Sending instructions:

Since I am going to sort out hosting the compilation on DirtyGrooves, and as I can also master the tracks to make the levels unified across the album, I will offer to receive all the tracks as they are made available.

Please send a link to download the track to blackbox@dirtyradio.org and make Dirty Compilation as the subject so that i know it isn't just another spam email!!

Information:
Please make the song filename as follows: "band name-song name.wav" for example: "In The Black Box - Thirst.wav"

And include some biographical information or whatever in the email with a photo we can use to include in the pdf booklet that will be included in the digital download.

Dunwho 09-04-2010 01:41 PM

Re: Dirty Compilation 2010: Quietly Violent

Hey..also just uploaded the last compilation to the dirtygrooves Records page on bandcamp so you can get a sense of how it will look for all the albums.

Check here http://dirtygroovesrecords.bandcamp....-sweet-in-rain

I will be adding .pdf booklets to every album, maybe someone wants to help with that?

I am hoping to develop the darksounds project with borndirty.org so as this site grows the compilations will be at the heart of the development.

Sappys Curry 09-04-2010 05:18 PM

Wait...so the songs on the SIWSIR compilation I dl'ed some months back...is original music from dirty forums members? Is that the case? If so...good job to those dirts who made music for SIWSIR and any other dirty compilation.

Dunwho 09-04-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sappys Curry (Post 144018)
Wait...so the songs on the SIWSIR compilation I dl'ed some months back...is original music from dirty forums members? Is that the case? If so...good job to those dirts who made music for SIWSIR and any other dirty compilation.

Yup yup. was all members from here. Glad you enjoyed it! Want to take part?

Sappys Curry 09-04-2010 07:45 PM

I, uh...how? I don't make music (although I wish I was experienced with it). I'd totally make Electronic music if I had the equipment.