Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Orb - Baghdad Batteries (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9979)

Jan 05-06-2009 02:37 PM

The Orb - Baghdad Batteries

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=10509

yay, new orb! :D

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 05-06-2009 04:43 PM

Re: The Orb - Baghdad Batteries

Goodie, goodie gum drops!

Let's hope it's better than The Dream. I was a bit let down by it.

joethelion 05-06-2009 09:00 PM

hmmm....

I just hope it's more in line with "Okie Dokie" than their last album, which I simply just COULD NOT get into whatsoever

it just was too 'silly' for my tastes

but what I don't get... is that it's "the third in the Orbsessions series"
b/c I mean - I thought the whole point of those were to showcase their unreleased stuff (like the FSOL archive series)

and this is supposed to be new material...

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 05-06-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 110774)

but what I don't get... is that it's "the third in the Orbsessions series"
b/c I mean - I thought the whole point of those were to showcase their unreleased stuff (like the FSOL archive series)

and this is supposed to be new material...

In a sense, yes. But, after being tossed about from label to label, they released stuff they had always had & let another label make end$ meet. I think. Maybe.

They're are a right bunch of sods ya know.

Leon 05-07-2009 03:24 AM

Hearing that it's being co-produced by Thomas Fehlmann excites me. Okie Dokie had a couple very interesting moments and Fehlmann's solo work (Honigpumpe) is magnificent. He has also collaborated with Eraldo Bernocchi (Manual) which is worth checking out if you like his sound.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-07-2009 09:07 AM

Really liked Okie Dokie, felt the Dream was okay but it seemed too much like an empty throwback.

Anyone seen them live lately? They are coming to Milwaukee, which is about 70 miles from me, and I am planning to go, unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't ;)

joethelion 05-07-2009 09:39 AM

wait... they're touring?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 05-07-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 110785)
Really liked Okie Dokie, felt the Dream was okay but it seemed too much like an empty throwback.

Anyone seen them live lately? They are coming to Milwaukee, which is about 70 miles from me, and I am planning to go, unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't ;)

Don't expect a dance-a-thon rave and you're set. Find the best seating position to hear it all centered & you're off on a wonderful trip. I've seen 'em three times and was expecting the dance-a-thon the first, so was let down. Chilled the next two & will always be remembered as 2 sonic all you can eat..

klingklang 05-13-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 110785)

They have a drummer and a singer now (I think for the past year). I don't know if that will change the atmosphere. But I definitely agree about the chilled out mood of other tours. They've always had a mellow, yet totally into it crowd.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 07-15-2009 06:11 AM

Looks like the show is postponed :(

I was able to grab a copy of this album today. The "Orbsessions Volume 3" label is pretty misleading. A more accurate title would be "Okie Dokie Volume 2" as it's basically the same sound, particularly the second half of that record. Fehlmann's fingerprints are all over this - you can barely discern Patterson's contribution at all, and this really sounds nothing like their previous album "The Dream". But that's not really a bad thing, and anyone who was a fan of Fehlmann's solo works should pick this up regardless of what they think of the Orb. Dunno if it's better than "Okie Dokie" but it's definitely one of their best of the decade.