Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Second Toughest in the Infants (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17168)

ultradave 09-28-2010 04:06 PM

Second Toughest in the Infants

Any else out there in dirty land feel that this album needs some attention and remastering?

Of all my UW albums, this album plays lower in volume with minimal bass. I just want Banstyle/Sappy's Curry louder so I can blast it!!!

Any thoughts??? :cool:

Dirty Saint 09-28-2010 04:08 PM

Re: Second Toughest in the Infants

Yepp couldn't agree more

.... and whilst they are at it, a 5.1 mix would be most welcome aswell:)

purlieu 09-28-2010 04:51 PM

Ah really? I always find Dubno to be the quiestest UW album, by quite some way. It sounds so feeble in comparison to everything else, even STITI.

bas_I_am 09-28-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradave (Post 145806)
Any else out there in dirty land feel that this album needs some attention and remastering?

Of all my UW albums, this album plays lower in volume with minimal bass. I just want Banstyle/Sappy's Curry louder so I can blast it!!!

Seconded!

The last two minutes of bs/sc need a gain boost!

bryantm3 09-28-2010 09:55 PM

i don't know, after all the bad experience i've had with "remasters" and "remixes" (you know, the entire record is re-mixed from the multitrack tapes into stereo and 5.1), i would hate to see that done to an UW album.
i guess a remaster would be OK, but to me a re-mix is probably not a good idea at all.

on another note, do any of y'all have the album on vinyl? it sounds more bassy to me, but it's probably because i have a subwoofer.

Dirty Saint 09-29-2010 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryantm3 (Post 145814)
i don't know, after all the bad experience i've had with "remasters" and "remixes" (you know, the entire record is re-mixed from the multitrack tapes into stereo and 5.1), i would hate to see that done to an UW album.
i guess a remaster would be OK, but to me a re-mix is probably not a good idea at all.

Check out the remasters of all Depeche Mode's back catalogue if you want to know how good they can sound if done properly......the DTS mix of Violator is awesome.

The UW sound is made for a 'spacial' mix

King of Snake 09-29-2010 05:19 AM

if you want it louder... do you not have a volume knob on your hifi? :confused:

Caprice 09-29-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradave (Post 145806)

It's interesting you bring this up because after listening to Barking about 10 times I feel that Barking may be the most bass heavy Underworld album. The bass is so damn prominent and powerful in every song. To confirm my thoughts I put on some dubno and then STITI which I've been listening to for old time's sake/it matching the weather nicely and sure enough, I must turn the volume knob up louder. But now this argument brings about another point:

The Loudness Wars!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Having to turn the volume up preserves the dynamics of each layer much nicer, I quote Bob Dylan from the wiki article:

Musician Bob Dylan has also condemned the practice, saying: "You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like—static"

So let's hope that doesn't happen to an Underworld record. Because I'm fine turning my volume knob up more to feel it, but there are great re-mastering techniques that if implored by Underworld, would be fucking fantastic!

potatobroth 09-29-2010 07:23 AM

so freaky. i was just listening to Juanita on my way into work today and realized i had my iPhone craked up, and my car radio really freaking high. still sounded a bit flat.

Audiodesign 09-29-2010 08:20 AM

I agree... some remastering would be awesome- provided the boys do it themselves or to their specs because yes, a lot of those remasters are horrid!