Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   bound. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Perfume (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5072)

Strangelet 12-29-2006 03:07 PM

Perfume

OMFG this book pwns.

It took years of it clogging up my amazon wish list before I bit, but now I've walked away from one of the most satisfying novels I've read for a while. It seemed rather cliche. It's not. It seemed rather melodramatic. It's not.

sanakan 12-29-2006 04:56 PM

Re: Perfume

nice to see that there are some people reading the book *after* the movie got hyped (didn't saw that one, yet). :)

winjer 12-29-2006 08:14 PM

Great, great book...

Awful film.

Strangelet 12-29-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanakan
nice to see that there are some people reading the book *after* the movie got hyped (didn't saw that one, yet). :)

is there a movie out already?
i can't imagine this translating very well to the screen

myshkin 12-30-2006 03:26 AM

I remember it heavily recommended to me quite a while ago. Must give it a look when i've got the backlog shifted. Must stop buying books.

sanakan 12-30-2006 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangelet
is there a movie out already?
i can't imagine this translating very well to the screen

what do you mean, "already"? the book's from 1985...
and yes, there's a movie that came out here in september. I just realized it's a german movie, so probably there wasn't as much publicity whereever you are from. :)

GforGroove 01-01-2007 09:58 PM

The Perfume is simply of the best books ever. too bad the movie is AWFULL!!! I mean Tom Twyker is a great stylish director, he can make really good looking movies, but he totally bring the esence of the book to the most hipster level you can possibly imagine.

my advice: don't watch the movie if you love the book

Strangelet 01-02-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanakan
what do you mean, "already"? the book's from 1985...
and yes, there's a movie that came out here in september. I just realized it's a german movie, so probably there wasn't as much publicity whereever you are from. :)

yeah apparently there's been a whole perfume phenomenon for a while now. the nirvana song "Scentless Apprentice" got its inspiration from the book. funny to run into something amazing like this after years in your periferal vision.

Strangelet 01-02-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GforGroove
The Perfume is simply of the best books ever. too bad the movie is AWFULL!!! I mean Tom Twyker is a great stylish director, he can make really good looking movies, but he totally bring the esence of the book to the most hipster level you can possibly imagine.

my advice: don't watch the movie if you love the book

with that description you've pretty much assured I will never see the film

votingfloater 01-02-2007 12:08 PM

How did this film sneak up on me? I really had no idea. I got locked out of my flat (because I'm a key-forgetting wassock) so I biked off to the cinema to watch An Inconvenient Truth until my flatmates returned, and I saw the trailer there. I'm not sure whether I thought or shouted "Fucking Hell!" or "Bastards!" in the cinema.

I have a worrying premonition that this film will suck big floppy donkey dick.