Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18509)

TheBang 11-15-2018 10:06 AM

Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras

https://youtu.be/3EiT_SMuztw

jetpig 11-15-2018 10:19 AM

Re: Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras

Description
Quote:

Drift, Ep 1, Pt. 3 Low Between Zebras
Low Between Zebras (featuring the voice of Matthew Trevannion), is Episode 1 Part 3 of Underworld’s DRIFT Series. The film, by Underworld and Mollie Gallagher, draws inspiration from stories gathered through the Manchester Street Poem project in 2017 and its release coincides with Rick & Karl’s participation in a new MSP installation at the International Arts & Homelessness Festival taking place in Manchester this week.

“The original brief for the film was inspired by a story I heard from a lady who had begged on the street and how she had watched the world every day from low down to the ground. How legs & feet moving around & past her, always ‘going somewhere’, reinforced her own feelings of going nowhere.” Karl Hyde

Low Between Zebras is Underworld for the other small hours – for those quiet times when the dawn breaks and the road seems endlessly inviting.

I hear a lot of cut clouds/edgelands in this piece. Quite beautiful.

purlieu 11-15-2018 10:35 AM

It's nice, but it's the sort of piece that I think would work far better in context of something - album, EP, whatever - rather than as a standalone track.

negative1 11-15-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlieu (Post 164535)
It's nice, but it's the sort of piece that I think would work far better in context of something - album, EP, whatever - rather than as a standalone track.

totally agree.

later

potatobroth 11-15-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

this exactly.

holden 11-15-2018 01:22 PM

Yeah, kind of reminds me of short soundscapy tracks RiverRun, like Flatz or 10,000 hz... great in the continuous mix, but not something I'd listen to on it's own very often. Same goes with "Brilliant yes that would be". Still, appreciate the free new tunes and the sentiment behind this one.

BIKstyle 11-15-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

You nailed it. I hope Drift will be made into an album somehow ...

khouri 11-17-2018 09:51 AM

I'd be surprised if any of this music was reassembled as a traditional album. Drift seems like the next evolution of what was RiverRun. Back then Underworld wanted to do something more immediate, with a visual component, with an unusual release cadence; something that freed them from the confines of traditional album creation/distribution/promotion.

Underworld had to kind of invent their own way of releasing RiverRun -- if you remember the web integration, the store etc., it was all more or less hand-made HTML, zip files, PDFs, really low-fi technology. But now there's YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, all things that offer a direct channel to the audience, can be monetized, and require no custom infrastructure. All Underworld and Tomato have to do is make their art. The rest is the click of a button, relatively speaking.

joethelion 11-17-2018 10:11 AM

I just wish we don't have to rely on making youtube rips, just to listen (or watch) the tracks offline

and it reminds me, did anyone actually manage to save a complete set of the Lemonworld / Dogboyheadset tracks? I haven't heard "Swing Up High" in years, and I feel like I'm missing a few bits here and there...

Billy Goat 11-17-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 164569)
I just wish we don't have to rely on making youtube rips, just to listen (or watch) the tracks offline

and it reminds me, did anyone actually manage to save a complete set of the Lemonworld / Dogboyheadset tracks? I haven't heard "Swing Up High" in years, and I feel like I'm missing a few bits here and there...

For those of us who are newer to the forums, are any of these old tracks still available anywhere?
I've got some tracks in a folder called "underworldlive.com tracks" with MamaNuxx jam, Bit of Rope For Web, Unruly July etc but I've never heard anything about Swing up high until someone on here mentioned it the other day. What is dogboy headset?
Is there a list of all these other tracks anywhere so I can see what I'm missing?
Also does anyone know where the 7min version of Why why why came from?