Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   2017 THREAD Orbital are back! Whatever happens will happen again! (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18392)

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-03-2017 06:53 AM

2017 THREAD Orbital are back! Whatever happens will happen again!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...terial-kinetic

the "new material" is kind of a cheap shot but who cares, the Hartnolls are back, baby!!

holden 02-03-2017 07:47 AM

Re: 2017 THREAD Orbital are back! Whatever happens will happen again!

Yes!
I was just digging through their back catalog and revisiting Paul Hartnoll's "8:58" project (which wasn't half bad) when this news hit.

First thought - these guys need money. Why split in 2004, reunite in 2009, split in 2014 (though i guess estrangement started in 2012), reunite again in 2017 if not for cash? Well, sounds like they had personal issues to work through and want to keep it going. If the music's good, that's all i care about and will part with more cash to support 'em.

The updated Kinetic remix isn't doing much for me, other than the nice nostalgic feeling that Orbital are back together and it's a fine track to begin with.

2012's "Wonky" was pretty decent, imo, at least as good as "Middle of Nowhere" and much better than "Blue" and certainly "The Altogether".

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 02-03-2017 08:34 PM

I swear at this point they should have some kinda Cher cover song or reworking interpretation song with their forever 'this is the last tour' bit...
~.~
F.S.O.L. ;-)

holden 02-04-2017 04:25 PM

For once, I agree with you, John.

Here's hoping for the best.. Orbital have always given us tracks that shimmer. Hopefully, their new record will have a high hit count.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-06-2017 07:26 AM

Yea as much as I wanna be cynical I think Wonky delivered the goods in a way I didn't think they were capable of after 1999. Still one of my favorite 2 or 3 records of that year.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 02-06-2017 07:11 PM

Underworld's LUSH version played with the volume all the way to 11 in the car was lovely this past weekend... Esp. considering I have not listened to that track in at least 10 years... So many memories of the west coast highways of the U.S. flashed by . . .

holden 02-11-2017 03:54 PM

I find it interesting to learn that Paul was the main composer and Phil was more like the editor/ sounding board. Later on, Phil did a lot of DJing and had Long Range, so he sure had his musical chops. Just guessed that the brothers Hartnoll were more evenly split for Orbital productions.

stimpee 02-14-2017 07:27 AM

Three gigs at three expensive festivals.

I'll wait.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-20-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 162108)
I find it interesting to learn that Paul was the main composer and Phil was more like the editor/ sounding board. Later on, Phil did a lot of DJing and had Long Range, so he sure had his musical chops. Just guessed that the brothers Hartnoll were more evenly split for Orbital productions.

If you listen to the 8:58 record, particularly the last two songs, it definitely becomes apparent who the main composer is. Wasn't a big fan of Long Range at all.

holden 02-20-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 162143)
If you listen to the 8:58 record, particularly the last two songs, it definitely becomes apparent who the main composer is. Wasn't a big fan of Long Range at all.

Yeah, I like 8:58, very Orbital feel, though I felt the same for many of the Long Range tracks. Just supposed that through 25+ years, they'd have a more equal division of labor. They are brothers after all, though the reunion announcement suggests Paul was pushing Phil a lot.

I guess if you dissect it, Underworld isn't an equal partnership in that Rick does much of the production, though Karl's input on vocals, guitar and vibe is indispensable. I've read that for the Chemical Brothers, Tom is more the creative, expansive mind, whilst Ed reels it in to singles length. Other bands like FSOL, the Orb, Fluke, Crystal Method, Leftfield,...I'm guessing one of the guys took the lead. It's hard to create by committee.

purlieu 03-28-2017 05:25 AM

I think Phil has probably had some compositional input, but definitely a lot less than Paul. You can even see it live - Paul's by the synths while Phil is manning the desk. It upset me a bit on Wonky where seven of the tracks were just credited to Paul - suggested that they weren't on such good terms and Paul wasn't willing to split the credits any more. Even if the new music isn't that great, I'm really happy that the two brothers are on good terms again. Orbital are a hugely important band to me, and the way their last breakup was worded suggested things weren't good between the pair of them which made me sad.

Can't speak for most of the other groups, but FSOL was fairly equal, in that they'd general do a back-and-forth between the pair of them on a track: Brian would start, then Gaz would do work, then Brian would go back to it, or vice versa. There are a few Brian solo tracks scattered throughout the discography but it's mostly an even split.

darktrain 05-08-2017 05:11 PM

New live set starts at 57ish mins: http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/f...05-17/4009260/

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 12-27-2017 05:54 AM

they just released two live albums (they're basically identical, so I don't know why the need for both, but whatever - they're beyond overdue for a live album), which include 3 new tracks - "Copenhagen", "Phuk", and "Tiny Foldable Cities". All three are excellent (as was "Cooping Lisa", which they were playing before)...new stuff seems like it'll have the "classic" Orbital sound, much like the first and last tracks on Wonky. In fact the whole live set rules, everyone who likes the band should get it. Don't wanna get too hyperbolic here but it gave me the same feeling I got when I first heard Everything, Everything

joethelion 12-28-2017 09:22 AM

I've only been a 'casual fan' of Orbital over the years, but I downloaded 'Live At Eventim Hammersmith Apollo (02-12-17)' out of curiosity, as I didn't like the Blue Album and only bits of Wonky

but I totally agree - it's a great concert, and man... the new version of "Satan" is fantastic

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 12-29-2017 07:54 AM

they also make "Forever" into a Kraftwerk tune and turn "Girl With the Sun in Her Head" into a total rave-up

but yea that version of "Satan" is something else

kontakt1968 12-30-2017 01:38 AM

The 2 live albums are released via pledge a bit like the live here now underworld cds. I went to the London gig , it was fantastic, satan live in london video is up in orbitals you tube channel..enjoy.

stimpee 01-07-2018 04:31 AM

I decided to buy tickets for the Brighton and Hull gigs in the summer. Excited! The live shows look amazing. the videos ive seen are mindblowingly good.

holden 01-07-2018 04:47 PM

The new tracks sound okay live, but here's hoping for a great new studio record. It's hard to know exactly what you'll get from a YouTube live recording. And while Wonky and Blue are decent albums, I'm looking forward to a new record with more lasting impression...

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 02-15-2018 11:52 AM

have you heard the Live Here Now recording? pretty close to studio quality, and they're excellent

btw I have to amend my previous post - "Copenhagen" IS "Cooping Lisa", or the latter was just an early version of the former. still, they're 3 for 3 on the new tracks as far as I'm concerned

stargurl 05-10-2018 03:30 PM

New single, Tiny Foldable Cities, out 11 May
New album, Monsters Exist (regular and deluxe versions), out 14 September

Yay :D

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-11-2018 06:12 AM

there's like 35 minutes worth of deluxe tracks on that one, sheesh. interesting that "Copenhagen" isn't on it

new single sounds great. quite a bit different from the live version. maybe this will be a new sort of direction.

iamneorev 05-11-2018 11:22 AM

Now that is a deluxe edition!!!
Tiny Foldable Cities sounds much better than its live version. The tweaks and changes definitely turned it into a solid album track.

Copenhagen and Kinetic 2017 are a part of the bigger bundle, but for me it's no real biggie that they were left off as I already bought them digitally in lossless.

I love Wonky. It has actually become my favorite Orbital album along with In Sides and Snivilisation. I hope they can continue their upward path from Wonky.

Psyched!

2018 is looking to be a great year for electronic music if you still love the classic artists from the 90s. Meat Beat Manifesto just put out a new album. We got albums from Orbital, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, and The Prodigy coming!

Now someone go get Fluke to reform. ;)

holden 05-11-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 163583)

Psyched!

2018 is looking to be a great year for electronic music if you still love the classic artists from the 90s. Meat Beat Manifesto just put out a new album. We got albums from Orbital, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, and The Prodigy coming!

Now someone go get Fluke to reform. ;)

Absolutely! Fluke are in my top 10 artists list, for sure.
New Hybrid in the works, too. Very excited for new Orbital and all the rest. 90's -00's electronic artists set a high bar that most of today's artists can't touch. Well, ok, maybe Jon Hopkins...that guy's new record is incredible. I've listened in full at least a dozen times this week.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-15-2018 06:55 AM

did not know about the Chems or Prodigy, nice

I believe The Orb have a new one coming out. I thought their last two were ace. But the promo single for this one seems ah...a bit off

dunno what's been going on with Fluke. I remember liking the spinoff group Syntax a lot. their "2nd album" was supposed to be a 3-part EP, but they only managed the first part and then just fell off the earth. hmmm....

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-15-2018 06:59 AM

and yeah I don't mind that "Copenhagen" isn't on the album - I find that a bit interesting since it's such a great "classic Orbital" single, not really groundbreaking in any way but it sounds incredible and if you're a lifelong fan then it'll probably trigger some familiar emotions. the fact that it isn't on the album tells me that this isn't going to be as much of a 'throwback' as Wonky was

WhiteNoise 05-15-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 163581)
there's like 35 minutes worth of deluxe tracks on that one, sheesh. interesting that "Copenhagen" isn't on it

15-20 years ago, all those bonus tracks would have been b-sides. Shame single releases aren't quite a profitable thing anymore - it was fun to hunt these things down.

stimpee 05-18-2018 11:39 AM

I didnt think Wonky was that much of a throwback. In fact, it was annoyingly modern. The vocals and styles on some tracks meant I havent listened to it in years.

iamneorev 05-19-2018 06:28 PM

I didn't find Wonky to be a complete throwback. It had its moments, but yes a more modern Orbital. I actually quite like Wonky. It has become one of my faves for its balance of classic and modern Orbital. I like that Orbital went with something a bit more modern. The vocals didn't bother me. Some quite powerful tracks. Wonky, In Sides, Snivilisation... those are my jams.

iamneorev 05-19-2018 06:30 PM

P.S. Am I the only one that thinks Wipeout XL soundtrack deserves a Record Store Day reissue?!?!?! Sadly, it's 20th anniversary came and went, but that soundtrack deserves the love. Reissue the two MTV's Amp compilations as well. But especially a Wipeout XL vinyl reissue would be amazing! I think that would be sought after. Make a wild packaging or colorful vinyl for it. Anyone see the Star Wars Tai Fighter 3D vinyl? Do that with the Wipeout crafts with each team and their craft on each side of the vinyl. :P

jetpig 05-28-2018 08:14 PM

I also caught Orbital's Biggest Weekend set from Friday and it is not one to be missed, either.

iamneorev 05-29-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 163798)
I also caught Orbital's Biggest Weekend set from Friday and it is not one to be missed, either.

Wish there was a rip of it.

gadzooks 06-02-2018 04:02 AM

Orbital live at Radio 6 Biggest Weekend, Belfast
2018-05-25

Setlist:
01 Lush
02 Impact
03 P.H.U.K.
04 Wonky
05 Tiny Foldable Cities
-- (set interrupted by 'technical difficulties')
06 Satan
07 Belfast
08 Halcyon
09 The End Is Nigh
10 Chime
11 Where Is It Going?

Runtime: 1:09:36
320kbps streamrip
File size: 159mb
https://www101.zippyshare.com/v/uXeoXCOx/file.html

WhiteNoise 06-02-2018 04:52 AM

Good rip, but you've accidentally cut Tiny Foldable Cities out - end of Wonky had technical difficulties going into TFC, and on this recording it crossfades into Satan.

gadzooks 06-02-2018 06:02 AM

Ooops...!

iamneorev 06-02-2018 04:21 PM

thanks @gadzooks
The End Is Nigh is interesting, wasn't what I was expecting

holden 06-03-2018 04:32 PM

well thanks, i guess...but the zippy site was a mess of links, software downloads and viruses that i couldn't navigate through to the proper download. Nope.

stimpee 06-05-2018 04:21 AM

If you want good sources for the Orbital stuff then join the OMT group (its a Google Group) with links to a dropbox full of soundboard and remastered bootlegs. Also this recording showed up on DimeADozen recently.

Badger 06-17-2018 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 163811)
Wish there was a rip of it.

Here is our remastered version of the gig...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4x0gmq7zt...trjKAex7a?dl=0

Attachment 405

Join our group:
https://groups.google.com/group/orbi..._tribe_phase_2

iamneorev 09-10-2018 12:44 PM

New interview:
https://www.pledgemusic.com/blog/orb...r=facebook_ads

holden 09-14-2018 03:24 PM

Album out today. First spin... it's fun, varied, and closer in spirit to their 90's heyday than their last three post-millenial albums. The record proper is filled with classic Orbital analog goodness and funky, dark samples, perhaps a bit more noodly than before. The bonus disc us a mixed bag in my mind, but that's to be expected of essentially outtakes ( though "to dream again" stands out as more fleshed out).

Glad the brothers Hartnoll are back and have delivered a fine album, which - again, on first blush- is their best since Middle of Nowhere.

Your thoughts?