Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18534)

holden 01-22-2019 03:16 PM

Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions

Hey all,

Since apparently Thursday is the start of the next Episode of the Drift project, I thought it'd be fun to discuss what you think/hope the next phase will entail.

Leaning towards a specific style, or more experimental? More guest artists?

Personally, I really enjoyed the weekly new releases for EP. 1, but as stand-alone tracks, some (Dexter's Chalk, Universe of when can back) resonated more than others (Low between zebras, A very silent way). However, placed side by side, it feels cohesive and I play it straight through (though I'm still not very into Very Silent Way).

The RiverRuns (which is what I'd compare these occasional, self-released collections of non-album tunes) had a fair amount of variety between tracks, but distilled/generalized down, they each have a distinct mood and a prevalent genre(simplifying, but for me, LBT is "happy"/dance; PFE is "melancholy"/electro; IABS... Is "soothing"/ambient. Just one guy's opinion, please debate that classification!). Wondering if Drift 2 will take it in a similar direction, such that each Episode has a style or mood in common? Or will it be fairly random and any linkage is just assumed by the listener?

I will always appreciate the banging tracks, so hopefully more of those... though puelrely ambient UW is great, too.

jetpig 01-22-2019 09:09 PM

Re: Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions

Border Country is still out there. I'm hopeful we see more of apple shine. There's also that track used in the VW play the road and the drift trailer still to come. Assuming there's more than 2 drift episodes, I figure we'll get at least one of those in this batch.

joethelion 01-23-2019 03:35 PM

I mean... honestly, even after all these years - I still hope that "Five Points" is going to get some kind of release.

khouri 01-23-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 164925)
I mean... honestly, even after all these years - I still hope that "Five Points" is going to get some kind of release.

My theory is that "Five Points" was a Darren track. It sounds a bit like "Scorchio" that he did with Digweed.

dubman 01-23-2019 06:20 PM

I'm a big fan of this quick+dirty, does-it-jam, get-them-out approach. More of that! I don't think they've fully stretched out in banger mode for some time and it'd be nice to see them stay loud and loose for awhile. That sax on Universe of Can When Back is exactly the attitude I want spread out.

TheBang 01-23-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 164927)
That sax on Universe of Can When Back is exactly the attitude I want spread out.

Definitely one of my favorite parts from the first episode when that comes in.

potatobroth 01-23-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 164925)

came here for this. wasnt disappointed.

atticinsane 01-24-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 164924)
Border Country is still out there. I'm hopeful we see more of apple shine. There's also that track used in the VW play the road and the drift trailer still to come. Assuming there's more than 2 drift episodes, I figure we'll get at least one of those in this batch.

Karl was on the BBC Radio 6 breakfast show this morning and said that 'Apple Shine' was going to be the first 'Drift episode 2' track, slated for release for later today (6pm UK time).

link to the Radio show (go to around 2:08:30 for the Underworld stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00024md

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 01-24-2019 12:34 PM

the idea of them folding in old unreleased tracks that only nerds like us know about is very exciting

taotsu 01-24-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 164944)
the idea of them folding in old unreleased tracks that only nerds like us know about is very exciting

Indeed. And gosh, I would gladly take more rehearsals! And pay for them. Not that I’m rich, they too need to feed their families and I gladly pay some for a couple of flacs! (And Apple shine is dope! Great start!)