Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drift ep. 1 part 4 - Universe of Can When Back (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)

stargurl 11-22-2018 09:11 AM

Drift ep. 1 part 4 - Universe of Can When Back

Arriving on a minimalist electronic glide, Universe of Can When Back builds from a restless lyrical drift to a hypnotic call to action that’s ushered in over unexpected sparks of unhinged saxophone (played by Lewis Evans)...

The new film that accompanies it, by tomato’s Simon Taylor, uses clips of Karl Hyde writing furiously in his daily process of gathering words for Underworld, mixed with images shot while on a road trip in Tokyo.

industri_studios 11-22-2018 10:35 AM

Re: Drift ep. 1 part 4 - Universe of Can When Back

Wonder if the pen scratches will be a part of the actual finished song...

That being said, I have quite liked all the Drift pieces for different reasons... this is turning out to be a GREAT little project from my standpoint.

holden 11-22-2018 01:22 PM

This one is pretty great! Wasn't sure about the saxophone in the description, but it goes well with the glitch and repeated vocals. Another Silent Way has a lot of feedback or glitchy static sounds, seems like Rick has been to try a rawer production approach or experiment with odd sounds...the former was a trademark of RiverRun Lovely Broken Thing, while the latter approach was heard on BBWFASF....lots of live instruments and layered vocals.

jetpig 11-22-2018 01:46 PM

My only complaint is that every piece needs to be longer.

BIKstyle 11-22-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 164598)

Exactly. How I wish we will get the full versions.

negative1 11-24-2018 09:45 AM

The 3 minute microsong, is the new edit. Uggh.

later

atticinsane 11-24-2018 02:33 PM

Nice, but it barely gets its trousers off.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-26-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 164598)

indeed. it does feel like we're getting dropped into the middle of a track. this one in particular feels like the beginning to an 8+ minute epic - something's gotta come after that fade right?

btw...Karl has nice handwriting doesn't he ?

dubman 11-28-2018 01:25 PM

kudos to them for figuring out the edit as a teaser. it's pretty effective because i occasionally find myself thinking "when is the fucking ep out so i can listen to all of these fucking songs properly in one go for fuck's sake"

potatobroth 11-29-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j (Post 164615)
indeed. it does feel like we're getting dropped into the middle of a track. this one in particular feels like the beginning to an 8+ minute epic - something's gotta come after that fade right?

btw...Karl has nice handwriting doesn't he ?

he does! but i also find all those long ascenders and descenders make it difficult to read, so im conflicted.