Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   World of Underworld (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18470)

domsgotsideburns 05-16-2018 12:00 AM

World of Underworld

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdTFqMxU8AE1sYb.jpg

very interesting. this was actually first put in place on the 15th, but with a couple errors. as for the art itself, it looks very similar to that of the recent 'World of Underworld in Electronic Sound' 7" release. looks like new things are possibly coming very soon!

Techno_Bunny 05-16-2018 05:56 AM

Re: New mysterious art on underworldlive.com -- 16/05/18

I noticed as well, love it!

purlieu 05-16-2018 09:38 AM

This and the 7" art are really, really different from the usual 'messy' (for want of a better word) style. Curious to see how this will all evolve.

potatobroth 05-17-2018 06:05 AM

i love these. excited!

holden 05-17-2018 06:59 PM

Anyone else click on each tile to check if anything new?

TheBang 05-17-2018 09:25 PM

Yeah, it's just the usual sections (news, art, music, diary, shop, etc.), just not labeled currently.

holden 05-18-2018 01:56 PM

Yeah, figured it out for myself. Just hoping for something, you know? Or something you don't know.

WhiteNoise 05-18-2018 06:28 PM

Images are named "wofuwgrid###.jpg", nothing else interesting in the source, but confirms it has to do with World of Underworld

potatobroth 05-19-2018 03:48 PM

cant be long now before there's a press release about this. the new single, the new artwork, the article, new EP pressing... its close.

negative1 05-19-2018 04:02 PM

i wonder why they let electronic sound magazine break the news.

later

mark3 05-21-2018 11:18 AM

The site has been updated. No new music, yet, but it's coming. For now, there are 'four journeys into the World of Underworld'

jetpig 05-21-2018 01:49 PM

http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2...of-underworld/

The links click through to spotify playlists right now.

dubman 05-21-2018 02:29 PM

$30 is a bit much to nab a physical copy of TTB but i'm optimistic about this. "spontaneous releases" is giving me uwlive 01-03 possibilities. hopefully downlaodable instead of just a spotify thing.

jetpig 05-21-2018 08:31 PM

Looked through some of the playlists. Some doubles within an individual playlist, some that aren't on spotify (yet? Emerson mix of Human Behaviour and Caliban's Dream are listed but unplayable) and some questionable choices (since when is little speaker a bigroomstadiumbangerman?) but they dug deep and put some old remixes in there. Looking forward to where this goes! Maybe some further shakeups in the live set?

TheBang 05-21-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 163618)
some that aren't on spotify (yet? Emerson mix of Human Behaviour and Caliban's Dream are listed but unplayable

I think that might be a regional thing. As in, they're playable in Spotify UK.

DwarfeD 05-22-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 163616)
http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2...of-underworld/

The links click through to spotify playlists right now.

I'm hoping they will add Apple Music-playlists in the near future.

purlieu 05-22-2018 01:41 AM

This is definitely intriguing, although launching with four Spotify playlists is a bit underwhelming. Good to see some obscurities in there - really happy to see 'Cut Clouds' in the ambient one.

stimpee 05-22-2018 02:59 AM

New playlists on Spotify bigroombangersandstadium etc

From: http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2...of-underworld/
World of Underworld

“Welcome to a world in which beans or spaghetti or perhaps even pineapple are sealed in unopened cans like some kooky version of Schrodinger’s cat experiment, but at least the labels clearly state, “May contain beans or spaghetti or perhaps even pineapple”. Welcome to the World of Underworld” Electronic Sound
http://www.underworldlive.com/wp-con...-1024x1024.jpg
Shut your eyes, pick a colour then follow the sound that it makes.
Follow its path as it shifts and twists like the bends of a running river; listen out for the eddies and currents created by bass notes, the ripples that form from the manipulated echoes of a human voice. Tune in and take flight as eras and genres flow together, merging spectacularly into permanent new paths where familiar signposts mark out new journeys that flow A to B in blue, orange, green, red.
For something so enveloping, so all-encompassing, music has a tendency to remain static. Recordings are committed to tape, stamped onto vinyl then frozen in time upon release, forever streamed in lockstep with an album’s artwork.
But what if you could reroute your history and redirect your future? Take sounds and feelings from over the years and meld them together into new forms that reflected the mood of the listener?
World of Underworld is an experiment. A series of sonic rabbit holes, pulling music together into cohesive, colour coded, hand picked journeys each of these explores a different aspect of Underworld’s sound, deep diving into nearly three decades of recordings.
The first four journeys into the World of Underworld are:
http://www.underworldlive.com/wp-con...es-300x300.jpg
bigroombangersandstadiumtechnoman – the cyclone sound from towering bassbin stacks the world over… some of Underworld’s biggest hits and way beyond.
http://www.underworldlive.com/wp-con...es-300x300.jpg
melodicgroovefortwistedfloorsman – some of the band’s very best songs where deconsturcted lyrics come wrapped inside addictive, hypnotic melodies and irresistibly propulsive rhythms
http://www.underworldlive.com/wp-con...es-300x300.jpgbalearicbeatsandchugginghouseman – opening with the band’s classic ’93 remix of William Orbit’s Water from a Vine Leaf, this is a selection of blissed out, mid-tempo sunset-to-sunrise songshttp://www.underworldlive.com/wp-con...es-300x300.jpgambientballadsandelectronicfolkman – collecting together the sublime, the beatless and the transcendent, this is an Underworld soundtrack to the small hours.
Over time, the World of Underworld will evolve as new releases and unearthed material appears on streaming platforms and they become a platform for experimentation, for creative process and spontaneous releases – the first of which being the recently released Brilliant Yes That Would Be – a track recorded and mixed just a few days before it emerged online.
So, follow those sounds, listen to the colours, join all of the dots. Welcome to the World of Underworld.

joethelion 05-22-2018 07:10 AM

Re: World of Underworld

This seems really cool... but... two things:

1) Is the music only going to be on Spotify? Do I really need to get another subscription to yet another service, just for streaming files???

2) Is the music only going to be streaming?

...I'm hoping that as far as #1 - it's just a bit early, and the playlists will show up on iTunes

(I haven't heard anything - as, these playlists are only on Spotify... so far)

negative1 05-22-2018 07:25 AM

ok, checked out the playlists.

doesn't look like any unreleased songs on there from what i can see.

the categories are not very strict either.

later

innerspaceboy 05-22-2018 07:40 AM

I don't use streaming services so I'm capturing each of the four playlists to FLAC, even if only for completist's sake. But given that the bulk of these are studio/commercial recordings, I suppose they won't be eligible as an upload to rtsr.

I prefer to archive any and all artist content in the event that a streaming service removes it at a later date, (or for the inevitable eventuality when the service folds entirely). There's still some value to the work even without new content as it looks like Rick and Karl likely chose and organized the selections themselves. That's worth saving.

Resolute 05-22-2018 10:04 AM

has anyone noticed the shared percussion and karl grunt between the water from a vine leaf remix and bug because that raises more questions about bug than it answers

joethelion 05-22-2018 10:45 AM

any chance someone could post the tracklists?

You can't view them, if you aren't signed up to Spotify (and I'd really rather not sign up for Spotify)

Dirty0900 05-22-2018 10:52 AM

Not on Spotify myself but hoping this evolves when the content to other things. The magazine interview references new material which I’ll be buying as soon as I can when it’s ready.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-22-2018 11:43 AM

my guess is that they're going to start throwing some new tracks in these playlists

iamneorev 05-22-2018 12:19 PM

I'm not exactly thrilled about Spotify playlists.

Personally I prefer lossless downloads over streaming, especially lossy streaming.

As long as I can buy any new or unreleased tracks for download, I'll be good.

khouri 05-22-2018 12:48 PM

This is the most pretentious possible way to present random compilations of old music.

jetpig 05-22-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 163619)
I think that might be a regional thing. As in, they're playable in Spotify UK.

Hope that changes soon. I've dearly missed having easy access to the good day today cover.

Resolute 05-22-2018 01:34 PM

Bigroombangersandstadiumtechnoman
Bird 1
Cowgirl (1992-2012 Version)
Dirty Epic (Remaster)
Mmm... Skyscraper I Love You (Remaster)
Why Why Why (1992-2012 Version)
Dark and Long (Remaster)
Dogman Go Woof (Remaster)
Downpipe (Radio Edit)
Happiness (Dance Mix by Underworld)
Rowla (Remaster)
Cherry Pie (Remaster)
Rez (Remaster)
Cowgirl (Remaster)
Spoonman (Remaster)
Kittens (Remaster)
Leave Home (Underworld Mix II)
Spikee (1992-2012 Version)
Born Slippy .Nuxx (Remaster)
Deep Arch (Remaster)
Little Speaker
The Flow (Underworld MK2 Remix)
Tin There (Remaster)
Born Slippy (Instrumental/Remaster)

Balearicbeatsandchugginghouseman
Water From a Vine Leaf (Underworld Remix)
Trim
8 Ball
Cafe Del Mar (Underworld Mix)
River of Bass (Remaster)
Hamburg Hotel
Faxed Invitation
I Exhale
Luetin
Ring Road
Ova Nova
Ballet Lane
Holding The Moth
Bruce Lee (Remaster)
Glam Bucket
If Rah
Human Behaviour (Darren Emerson Underworld Mix)
Nylon Strung
Second Hand
Moon in Water
M.E. (Remaster)

Melodicgroovefortwistedfloorsman
Oich Oich
Dirty Epic (Remaster)
Dark and Long (Remaster)
Mo Move
Crocodile
Dirty Epic (1992-2012 Version)
Big Meat Show (1992-2012 Version)
Confusion the Waitress (Remaster)
Zion Youth (Underworld Mix)
Something Like a Mama (Remaster)
Mosaic (Remaster)
If Rah (Voiski Sleepless Remix)
Low Burn
Good Day Today (Underworld Classic Remix)
Between Stars
Air Towel (Remaster)
Cups (Remaster)
Two Months Off
Beautiful Burnout
Twist
Cups (Salt City Orchestra Vertical Bacon Vocal Mix)
Jumbo (Remaster)
Always Loved a Film
Cool Kids of Death (Underworld Mix)
Eclipse (Remaster)

Ambientballadsandelectronicfolkman
Sandman (I'll be There)
Motorhome
Most 'Ospitable (Remaster)
Stagger (Remaster)
Cuddle Bunny Vs Celtic Villages
Skym (Remaster)
Tongue (Remaster)
Push Downstairs (Remaster)
Barrel of a Gun (Underworld Soft Mix)
Sola Sistim
Puppies (Remaster)
To Heal
Santiago Cuatro
Brilliant Yes That Would Be
Blueski (Remaster)
Good Morning Cockerel
Ess Gee
Louisiana
Simple Peal
Cut Clouds
Best Mamgu Ever
William's Last Words (Underworld Remix)

Some weird duplicates where they use pre-remaster versions and remasters, or just ignore the remastered version altogether in the case of Spikee.

Yannick 05-22-2018 06:28 PM

coming out soon, a remaster of the best-of... :p

http://krinum.com/upload/uw2018.jpg

TheBang 05-22-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolute (Post 163635)
Some weird duplicates where they use pre-remaster versions and remasters, or just ignore the remastered version altogether in the case of Spikee.

That's weird. In my version of the playlists (in the U.S.), I see the remaster versions for a lot of the ones you have listed as from the Anthology.

Resolute 05-23-2018 02:15 PM

i checked again today and none of them have changed for me so there must be some weird regional thing going on. im in the uk on a danish spotify account but it's likely ip based.

TheBang 05-23-2018 04:44 PM

From IMS Ibiza, at about the 6 minute mark, Karl: "You'll find out what we're up to next in the next few days..."

https://www.facebook.com/HEARTIbizaO...2161108595662/

And haha, at the end, Pete Tong gives away that there's a track on the setlist tonight they've not played before.

TheBang 05-24-2018 03:18 PM

From the newsletter, new music news is coming on Saturday.

hypeless 05-26-2018 01:39 PM

Underworld & Iggy Pop in the email!

TheBang 05-26-2018 04:55 PM

So, if World of Underworld means that we get a new track every 2 months or so, I think I can get behind that.

ultradave 05-26-2018 05:36 PM

world of underworld... i love it... i was in the UK 3 days ago - sucks that I missed this show in Belfast, but I was in London on a layover from holiday in Italy. both happy and sad to be back in the U.S... oh, but so happy that R & K are bringing us some fine treats!

nelfun5 05-31-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 163632)
This is the most pretentious possible way to present random compilations of old music.

Amen to that. What a waste of energy and time. They have entire vaults full of unreleased, demo, live recordings, etc. but no all we get once every two years is a compilation of stuff already re-released elsewhere (alongside reissues of half-baked remixes). Yay.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 05-31-2018 05:36 AM

so is this in lieu of a new album ? sounds like they're splitting their persona into 4 parts, and then making tracks that fit in those areas. the two new tracks we have already sound like they couldn't be on an album together. maybe that's the point.

purlieu 05-31-2018 02:00 PM

I'm thinking (+ hoping) that this is a particular phrase they're going through, like Riverrun, in that they're approaching stuff differently for a while. If tracks are being intentionally picked to fit the playlists then that's a fascinating way to make music and present it, and not one I've really seen done before, so will be interesting to witness. But it doesn't necessarily make for the most cohesive listening experience, and in itself seems quite odd given the Barbara-era interviews in which Karl talked at length about feeling constricted by expectations of what Underworld were supposed to sound like, and that working on Barbara was liberating because it was totally free of their past and any stylistic limitations or expectations. I'm sure over time we'll get more interviews on the subject and it'll all become more clear, though.