Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10971)

gaborez 06-07-2010 01:55 AM

New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)

The new album is called barking. it's out on September 13th (September 2nd in Japan).

little bit of info here:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56722/Un...medium=twitter

and a bit more here:
http://www.nme.com/news/underworld/51363

http://trafficjpn.com/news/show/433

[Track listing]
1. Bird 1 (additional production by Dubfire)
2. Always Loved A Film (a/p Mark Knight & D. Ramirez)
3. Scribble (a/p High Contrast)
4. Hamburg Hotel (a/p Appleblim & Al Tourettes)
5. Grace (a/p Dubfire)
6. Between Stars (a/p Mark K & D. Ramirez)
7. Diamond Jigsaw (a/p Paul van Dyk)
8. Moon In Water (a/p High Contrast)
9. Louisiana
10. <Japan only bonus track>

‘Barking’ is the title of Underworld’s first album in three years, and their first to be constructed with a brilliant cast of co-conspirators. All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade.

From the first undulating pulses of submariner bass, the first vocals – soft like a whisper in the ear - and the first fizz of hi-hats that force along the pace, the sound is unmistakably Underworld. Electronics wrapped effortlessly around songs; streams of consciousness lyrics that form indelible images; a perfectly balanced mix of melody and rhythm. Underworld’s sixth studio album is a thundering return to form, although it’s fair to say that the band responsible have never really been below par.

gaborez 06-07-2010 02:04 AM

Re: new underworld album - barking

hmmm

is bird 1 actually a version of strumpet?

There is one bird in my house... :)

DwarfeD 06-07-2010 02:39 AM

This is going to be a long, long summer... Nevertheless the tracklisting looks promising. Finally proper versions of ALAF, Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw. Also nice to see the return of Moon in Water, which was one of the better new things they did in that broadcast. Can't wait to buy this on vinyl!!

King of Snake 06-07-2010 02:51 AM

collab with Paul van Dyk??? That sounds scary.

Dirty0900 06-07-2010 03:14 AM

Nine tracks as well, hopefully there going to be a decent length. Hope Moon in water has been tweaked, got the rip and I still skip it now and then. Looking forward to diamond jigsaw and between stars.

Safe to say that Strumpet has been renamed to 1 bird.

big screen satellite 06-07-2010 03:26 AM

superb - diamond jigsaw

that's all i wanted to see

album is full of collabs which is great too....

i'm so looking forward to this - i hope it is 'barking' (mad) too...

unwound floors 06-07-2010 03:53 AM

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13)

Well, this is bloody exciting, isn't it?

DwarfeD 06-07-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Snake (Post 122732)
collab with Paul van Dyk??? That sounds scary.

It kinda does. But a collab with Dubfire seems rather nice, since I loved his reworks of Booka Shade's Charlotte and Smith & Selway's Transit Time.

Looking at last.fm it seems that there are some promo's floating around , since someone has been listening to the Barking already. It also reveals that Grace has a duration of 5:11 and Hamburg Hotel would last 5:15. Other new tracktitles won't show up yet, which may indicate that those tracks are the collaborations.

//\/\/ 06-07-2010 04:26 AM

what a shame there's absolutely fuck all on underworld live.

fucking terrible.

stimpee 06-07-2010 04:29 AM

Artwork revealed on UWlive: http://www.underworldlive.com//news/...e.asp?DID=1355

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 04:49 AM

Nice one!!! Can i admit this is what I expected OWB to be 3 years ago?? Still, very cool, can't wait to hear some of these songs proper, let the countdown begin!!

King of Snake 06-07-2010 04:58 AM

let's hope it leaks before sep 13 ;)

ThingInABook 06-07-2010 04:59 AM

i hope strumpet is bird 1 and it runs for 12mins+

and this confirms that good day today isn't an underworld track (but i still like the song - who made it?)...

also, happy to see ALAF, and between stars glued with diamond jigsaw. but jumping the cran is missing, perhaps it changed its named as strumpet did.

come, september, come.

TheBang 06-07-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThingInABook (Post 122743)
and this confirms that good day today isn't an underworld track (but i still like the song - who made it?)...

You'll never guess

ThingInABook 06-07-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 122744)

of everyone...

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 05:24 AM

It is nice to see ALAF on here...I'm assuming it's the version they played live in Brixton two years back, with lyrics and all ("heaaaa-vann, heaaa-vaaaan, can you feel it??"), but part of me really hopes it's the "Silver Boots" version as well...also surprised to see "Moon in Water" here, I really wonder how it will sound, really liked that track as kind of like a demo thing, but obviously it didn't feel complete...looking forward to it

Really glad "Diamond Jigsaw" is on the thing...for some reason I was afraid that people wouldn't like the track (because of the 80's synth noise) and that it might not come out :S

Seriously though this album is gonna be massive!!!

Dirty0900 06-07-2010 05:45 AM

I'm concerned about Bamboo. I really want to own this song. Really hoping it's been renamed.

//\/\/ 06-07-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 122739)

indeed - shame they couldn't bring themselves to, like, share the tracklisting :rolleyes:

mind you - no hint of a japanese exclusive? shooley shum mishtake?:eek:

TheBang 06-07-2010 06:02 AM

There is a Japanese exclusive bonus track, and Japan gets it on Sept. 2. As usual, Traffic has more info:

[Track listing]
5. Grace (a/p Dubfire)
9. Louisiana
+ Bonus track

Also, a Karl Hyde art exhibition in Tokyo:

KARL HYDE
"What's going on in your Head when you're Dancing?"
The world's first solo painting exhibition Karl Hyde
2010/8/25 [WED] - 9 / 15 [WED] 11:00 am-8: 00pm
Laforet Museum Harajuku

King of Snake 06-07-2010 06:06 AM

wow, I had no idea there would be this many collabs. This is definitely gonna be VERY interesting.

Dirty0900 06-07-2010 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 122751)
There is a Japanese exclusive bonus track, and Japan gets it on Sept. 2. As usual, Traffic has more info:

[Track listing]
5. Grace (a/p Dubfire)
9. Louisiana
+ Bonus track

Also, a Karl Hyde art exhibition in Tokyo:

KARL HYDE
"What's going on in your Head when you're Dancing?"
The world's first solo painting exhibition Karl Hyde
2010/8/25 [WED] - 9 / 15 [WED] 11:00 am-8: 00pm
Laforet Museum Harajuku

Wow, so this is UW taking a turn at being the Chemical Brothers then? Going to be very interesting. Looking forward to this a lot.

gaborez 06-07-2010 06:14 AM

from glasswerk.co.uk:

‘Barking’ is the title of Underworld’s first album in three years, and their first to be constructed with a brilliant cast of co-conspirators. All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade.

From the first undulating pulses of submariner bass, the first vocals – soft like a whisper in the ear - and the first fizz of hi-hats that force along the pace, the sound is unmistakably Underworld. Electronics wrapped effortlessly around songs; streams of consciousness lyrics that form indelible images; a perfectly balanced mix of melody and rhythm. Underworld’s sixth studio album is a thundering return to form, although it’s fair to say that the band responsible have never really been below par.

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/news/nati...m+Tracklisting

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

[Track listing]
5. Grace (a/p Dubfire)
9. Louisiana
+ Bonus track

Wow, I wonder how many tracks there are like Scribble here?? Like, based off a tune we all know, but massively reworked, with new hooks and a whole new feel?? Really awesome to see Mark Knight and D Ramirez here since "Downpipe" was so good. The only thing is "Diamond Jigsaw", really hope they kept that one mostly the same!

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 06:16 AM

Also, how great would it be if Bamboo was the bonus track???

King of Snake 06-07-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty0900 (Post 122753)
Wow, so this is UW taking a turn at being the Chemical Brothers then? Going to be very interesting. Looking forward to this a lot.

not really, the chems never really did production collabs did they? They just brought in loads of guest vocalists.

TheBang 06-07-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaborez (Post 122754)

There we go; that must be the press release verbatim. That's the English version of what's posted on Traffic.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Snake (Post 122742)
let's hope it leaks before sep 13 ;)

Honestly I really hope it doesn't, I mean in the internet age the leak date is more important than the "official" date. I struggled with that a lot with LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver album, which leaked in December of 2006 but wasn't released until March 2007. I did buy the disc when it was released, but couldn't resist the leak, thinking, "nobody's going to be talking about this album anymore by the time it's actually released"...if it leaks two weeks early, I can resist that, but if it shows up say tomorrow I'm gonna have major problems :S

purlieu 06-07-2010 07:10 AM

Well, let me be the first negative poster: I don't actually like any of the collaborators and might actually download this before release as I'm honestly not sure I'll like it too much. Hmmm. :/

King of Snake 06-07-2010 07:12 AM

congratulations man :rolleyes:

potatobroth 06-07-2010 08:00 AM

By my count, we've heard 6 of the 9 at some stage in their tracky-life. I'm super excited to hear the final release and teh collabs should be pretty awesome. PvD, however, I do not like. But its not like he wrote the tracks so I guess it'll be okay.

Sept 13th seems SOOO far away.

//\/\/ 06-07-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

There is a Japanese exclusive bonus track, and Japan gets it on Sept. 2.

and there was me taking the piss.:rolleyes:

//\/\/ 06-07-2010 08:05 AM

so; rather than original uw material, and a plethora of remixes, we just get a set of remixes? will original, uw-only versions ever see the light of day, or are we just stuck, after 3 years, with a remix album?

i hope to fuck it's good.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 08:20 AM

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)

Where in the press release does it say they 'remixed' the work? Doesn't it just say 'add their touch' or something like that? I'm going to wait until I hear the album before I pass judgement.

Dubfire and Appleblim are both really good producers and I'm really looking forward to hearing those tracks.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by //\/\/ (Post 122765)
so; rather than original uw material, and a plethora of remixes, we just get a set of remixes? will original, uw-only versions ever see the light of day, or are we just stuck, after 3 years, with a remix album?

i hope to fuck it's good.

Yeah I don't think UW is letting these guys just toss off mixes that are just "stuff I wouldn't want on my album, with a few vocal samples from the original" the way most remix comps are. I think they are more like collaborations. They are probably pretty sure these are high quality.

BrotherLovesDub 06-07-2010 08:27 AM

If Scribble is out this month, wouldn't it make sense to release a second single at the end of August or early September? Think that will be Diamond Jigsaw?

purlieu 06-07-2010 08:34 AM

Is it going to sound like Underworld, though? It's very surprising, they've always had a very defined sound - there are obviously tracks that deviate, and a lot of variation in there, but almost everything they've done sounds very 'Underworld' - so I'm wondering why they've chosen to do an entire record of collabs. Did they have trouble finishing off tracks so get other people in (I doubt it, but it did cross my mind)? I dunno, something like this I can imagine being a really interesting side-project, but for the actual new album I'm a bit disappointed. I suppose a lack of interest in the collaborators isn't helping matters, I've never liked High Contrast, and there's a lot of more minimal, laptoppy sounding techno in there which really doesn't seem to fit the lush vibe and chunky beats Underworld are usually capable of. As for PvD, Jesus Christ.
I do really want to like this album and I am going to give it a fair chance once I listen, but this tracklist is the biggest disappointment for me in a while, musically.

I think the press release pissed me off a bit too with the 'strongest in ten years' and 'return to form' stuff, considering OWB is my favourite Underworld record, haha.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 08:43 AM

All things considered UW have been in the business like, almost 30 years, hard to believe...20 years as mk2+. Maybe they just wanted to do something new. Somehow I don't see Karl and Rick as the type to say, "our fans might not like this"...if it sounds good to them, they'll do it. Maybe I'm wrong but I think "Scribble" is going to be the template...it's got new shoes, but it's still UW all the way through, and besides it's great to see these guys exploring new sounds at this stage in their career.

//\/\/ 06-07-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 122766)
Where in the press release does it say they 'remixed' the work? Doesn't it just say 'add their touch' or something like that?

surely adding your style and creativity to a song's raw material is remixing?

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 06-07-2010 08:57 AM

yeah but it's not like they are just going to release something like "The Bells The Bells" in place of the original album.

Caprice 06-07-2010 08:58 AM

paul van dyk and high contrast?!

holy shit!