Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   iPod question (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4665)

gambit 10-17-2006 03:19 PM

iPod question

I don't know if this would be the appropriate forum for this, so I apologize if it isn't. This is open to anyone who has or does currently own an iPod (if you own a 30 GB iPod, all the better). Do you have to reset your iPod multiple times a day? Reseting is when you press and hold the center and menu buttons until the apple icon appears. I find I have to do this multiple times a day after I turn off my iPod, and I find this unsettling. Also it seems like the battery is constantly losing power even when I turn it off; supposedly, there's 14 hours of battery life for playing music only on this thing, and it seems to have about half that in a day.

adam 10-17-2006 03:22 PM

Re: iPod question

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine went through a period of doing that, and then...it stopped. I almost never have to reset it now. And mine is two years old, and I'm still getting eight hours out of the battery.

Of course, I may not represent the norm. But, yeah, there was a week where I had to reset it constantly.

djeddy 10-17-2006 04:53 PM

my best guess is to make sure you are using the latest version of iTunes 7 as well as the latest ipod updater. once you do..restore it..yeah i know you gotta erase crap..but at least try to back it up (otherwise you should already have all the music in your itunes anyway)... then when you restore it, you need to hook it up via the power block..the newer ipod (videos) i dont ever recall having to go through that, but my older ipod (the 15gb) whenever you restore it, i had to hook it up to the wall afterwards, and that resolved it..

hope this helps..

Jason Roth 10-17-2006 05:13 PM

Zomgipodsaretehbest!!!!111

absolute zero 10-17-2006 07:11 PM

I have the 60G video and I never had to reset it. A bit off topic here though, but does anyone know any good mp3 stores to buy "mp3"s, and not like itunes m4p/protected wmv files that you can't play w/other players like winamp? I really detest protected audio files that don't let me use media players of my choosing. I like 7digitial but they're a bit pricey (i'm poor w/the current american dollar british pound exchange rate)

m.g. 10-17-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Roth
Zomgipodsaretehbest!!!!111

Yeeeeeessssss!!!

I have 2 iPods, one 10GB (1st generation) & a 40GB and I never had to reset them. But probably updates with the iPod updaters from Apple sites or through every last version of iTunes is (one of) the clue(s)...

adam 10-17-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolute zero
I have the 60G video and I never had to reset it. A bit off topic here though, but does anyone know any good mp3 stores to buy "mp3"s, and not like itunes m4p/protected wmv files that you can't play w/other players like winamp? I really detest protected audio files that don't let me use media players of my choosing. I like 7digitial but they're a bit pricey (i'm poor w/the current american dollar british pound exchange rate)

i think someone has cracked apple's encoding, so if you wait a bit, you may find you can get around the itunes protection.

gambit 10-17-2006 08:00 PM

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes on Saturday, and it says everything's current, so that probably isn't it. I'll try a restore and see what happens.

gambit 10-17-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam
i think someone has cracked apple's encoding, so if you wait a bit, you may find you can get around the itunes protection.

Or you could burn the files onto an audio CD, and rip the tracks from the CD into mp3 format. It may be a bit cumbersome, but it works.

ffolkes 10-18-2006 01:36 AM

hey gambit,

you're ok until you get the dreaded sad mac face. i've had a 4th gen ipod (40 gig) one which i always updated regularly. nevertheless it started getting stuck as time went by, which usually just resolved with the reset.

yet later on the freezes became more rapid, and after awhile my ipod got almost permanently fucked up... signalled with the sad mac face and a whirry sound from the ipod's hard drive.

a friend of mine, esaias from these forums, actually resurrected it twice by opening the whole ipod and removed/re-connected the hard drive (my guarantee had already expired by then). this brings it back to life, but apparently only for a little while. the procedure helped by a good month or so until it got fucked again and he had to repeat the surgery.

needless to say i got tired of such erratic behaviour and decided to get a new mp3 player. i would've opted for another brand than apple but since my extensive collection of cds have already been ripped to m4a's, i will not have the energy to convert them or rip them all over again.

so i got an 80 gig ipod 5.5 gen video. apple owns my ass