Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   moments. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What’s the best live version of Pearls Girl that’s out there? (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18467)

Badger 04-24-2018 04:57 AM

What’s the best live version of Pearls Girl that’s out there?

As the title suggests I’m after opinions on everyone’s fav live version of Pearls Girl?

Any versions that might have interesting different structures or that sort of thing? Or any version that just stands out over others?

TheBang 04-24-2018 10:40 PM

Re: What’s the best live version of Pearls Girl that’s out there?

Well, I've got a few for you.

First, I decided that the rendition from the Burger Van Man gig (Torhout Werchter 1996) was the best representation of the energy and bleepy bloopiness of that era.

Another interesting one is the Hard Vibe/Pearl's Girl/Yard Beat mashup from the X-TRA Club in 2005, just for the sheer uniqueness.

My personal favorite is probably a bit biased because I was there that night for the Oblivion Ball in Tokyo 2007. It was a visual spectacle, but there was also a huge energy from the crowd. I don't think it was just me though. You can really see Rick enjoying himself in the video, and as you can see in the comments, H and Karl thought it was pretty good too:

https://www.facebook.com/tbangerter/...1122907677752/

potatobroth 04-26-2018 05:46 AM

those are fantastic. I remember one from the bubble-wrap-backdrop tour (purple hue, numbers spinning) that floored me. ill dig around.

wow the Oblivion Ball version is sooo good.

stimpee 04-26-2018 10:42 AM

The ones from 2005-2006 have Yard Beat stuck in the middle :D

joethelion 04-27-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatobroth (Post 163544)
those are fantastic. I remember one from the bubble-wrap-backdrop tour (purple hue, numbers spinning) that floored me. ill dig around.

wow the Oblivion Ball version is sooo good.

yea - and it's a bit different than usual... I think I'm going to try and track down that release (it was a "Live Here Now" right?)

potatobroth 04-27-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 163547)
yea - and it's a bit different than usual... I think I'm going to try and track down that release (it was a "Live Here Now" right?)

I cant quite pin it down yet. i have video (shitty quality) from that tour so i should be able to get a year. I remember one of them had the bass-beat shift to 4-4 at one point in Pearls Girl.

edit: 2002 was the bubble-wrap background with purple numbers spinning.

WhiteNoise 04-29-2018 11:23 AM

The performance during the encore of European Club Gig after the incredible Confusion the Waitress is dear to me. During the pads breakdown / peak, with that sparkly synth that's added in live versions, Karl says something like "there is a perfect time for every song. this, is it." and it elevates the whole thing.

The entire Mayan Theater 1998 concert is legendary beyond words - that's a time machine gig if there ever was one - but Pearl's Girl is used as the first track, and they do the intro in a weird way that comes together nicely.

potatobroth 04-30-2018 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise (Post 163552)
The entire Mayan Theater 1998 concert is legendary beyond words - that's a time machine gig if there ever was one

This is a show i'd been secretly hoping for a soundboard recording of since 98. Its such a perfect slice of everything i love(d) about the UW live shows.

Dirty Saint 05-01-2018 03:48 PM

After all these years, just listened to the Oblivion Ball audio

Wow..amazing :)

Is there a video of the whole gig floating around??

TheBang 05-01-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Saint (Post 163555)
After all these years, just listened to the Oblivion Ball audio

Is there a video of the whole gig floating around??

That gig was webcast (Simon Taylor directed it), and I have a copy of it, but it needs additional processing. Someday I'll get around to that and share it. It's not the greatest footage though, because for most of the gig, they had like 8 different camera angles displayed in rows of tiny boxes, so it's kind of hard to make out anything.