Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   treatment. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Inland Empire - a film by David Lynch (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4964)

grady 12-08-2006 04:39 PM

Inland Empire - a film by David Lynch

Any dirts in NY or LA seeing this film this weekend?

I'm excited to see it, but will have to wait until most likely the end of the month before it reaches Portland or I break down and drive up to Seattle to see it.

official site.

The reviews of the film thus far have been spotty and mixed to negative, but this isn't really anything new for a David Lynch film. His films always seem to have a polarizing effect on audiences. Manhola Dargis review of the film in the NY Times this past week was surprisingly positive.

chino 12-08-2006 07:34 PM

Re: Inland Empire - a film by David Lynch

I spent a week after Mulholland Dr. before getting over it.

kid cue 12-09-2006 06:13 PM

i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

cured 12-09-2006 06:28 PM

Great...I live in the IE (the 909, the Inbred Empire, etc)

GforGroove 12-09-2006 06:47 PM

actually i just saw the ad on the village voice.. and im so going tomorrow!!

GforGroove 12-10-2006 03:42 PM

GORGEOUS!!!

BEST END TITLES EVER...

im mesmerized , could go in 3 hours more to watch it again!!

kid cue 12-18-2006 09:34 AM

it was a beautiful film, but i'm not sure it's better than Mulholland Drive. will probably have to see it again (x3).

grady 01-14-2007 12:59 AM

Finally got to see this today. While I didn't like it as much as Mulholland Drive and feel it's not nearly as strong of a film it still has quite a few good things going for it.

But ultimately I have the feeling that this film is for those who are fans of Lynch. I can't really see anyone else enjoying it.

I will probably end up seeing it again tomorrow and maybe one more time on Wednesday or Thursday.

During my viewing today, I just let myself surrender to the images and not really get caught up in trying to unravel the mystery and narrative.

After the film my friend and I split a bottle of wine discussing the film for a good hour or so and came away thinking that with editing there are some really great pieces of a film in there, but perhaps that isn't what Lynch was going for this time around.

I need to think some more about this one.

joethelion 03-05-2007 11:13 AM

ok...

So this film is FINALLY coming to where I currently live, Iowa City (it's probably being played here b/c of the whole David Lynch / Maharishi connection) [edit] -> I might've mispelled that last name, but if you didn't know that whole trascendental meditation 'deal' is pretty big here in Iowa City, and there's a center here for it and like a "University" for it in a small town not too far away from here (or at least I think it's not too far... I forget what town it's actually in)

BUT it's only being showed a measly seven times! Like, once a day for week, and I've got midterms until Thursday (and Thursday is the last showing date)

So - if you were in my perdicament -> would you:
(a) "waste" time by not studying and seeing this 3hr movie
(b) see the movie on Thursday night, after your last midterm... and therefore not be able to go out and 'celebrate' being done with these god-awful midterms
(c) wait for the movie to come out on dvd

It's also hard for me to figure out what to do, b/c my friends who are big on David Lynch won't be able to come up to see the film with me... so I'd have to take this ...well, fake - hipster chick (like she only thinks something is cool after Pitchfork tells her it is) if I went to see the movie at all in the theater

...I'm assuming this will be released on dvd soon anyways, right?

b.miller 03-05-2007 11:21 AM

it's up to david lynch on how soon it gets a DVD release.

if you are a david lynch fan, i'd suggest taking a study break some night and going to see it in a theater. At least that way you're forced to sit there through the whole thing :)