Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   snakes, dinosaurs, and crocodiles (oh my!) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6718)

holden 10-01-2007 09:56 AM

snakes, dinosaurs, and crocodiles (oh my!)

What do you think is Karl's and Rick's fascination with scaly reptilian tracknames? (ok, dinos aren't really reptiles, but you get the picture)As we know, many of the tracknames are random tidbits that might have little to do with the contents of the track (DA3D for example, though i still think of a computergame dino running around when i hear that bassline!), others are a bit more literal (King of Snake re: snake fighting).
Is "crocodile" a reference to "crocodile tears" (i.e. faked emotion, false sympathy, etc)? The lyrics do sound pretty earnest, though maybe its ironic?
And just listened to "Phonestrap", where Karl sings "Here comes snake face".

Maybe it's just like the 'boy" and "dog" that are in many of the lyrics, but i think all these creepy crawlies mean something more significant.
Any thoughts? :confused:

Holden

big screen satellite 10-01-2007 11:53 AM

Re: snakes, dinosaurs, and crocodiles (oh my!)

mmm...it is unlikley that he deliberatly picked Croc as a reptile ...

Dinosaur (advendture 3d) came from a game he saw lying around...when the song was being made

(king of) Snake came from a conversation recorded with a guy called Riko in Japan, the 'snake fighting' bit - as mentioned

(beaucoup) Fish - another scaly creature not mentioned above - also came from a conversation

i would however like to know why Crocodile? its got no reference to the song, like DA3D, (although as i said, it is well documented where that particular and obscure name came from...)

Karl does get on a 'fascination' with things like Dogs, Boys, Girls, Blondes etc, so it could be a subconcious thing, but mostly it was probably a chance image that came to mind when the track was being written / recorded...

who knows... well Karl...?

testudo 10-01-2007 11:55 AM

what about Puppies and Kittens?

holden 10-01-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big screen satellite
Dinosaur (advendture 3d) came from a game he saw lying around...when the song was being made

(king of) Snake came from a conversation recorded with a guy called Riko in Japan, the 'snake fighting' bit - as mentioned

Karl does get on a 'fascination' with things like Dogs, Boys, Girls, Blondes etc, so it could be a subconcious thing, but mostly it was probably a chance image that came to mind when the track was being written / recorded...

who knows... well Karl...?

Yeah, i knew all the stories (note my dino imagery above), i meant that the song itself doesn't have anything to do with a dinosaur (or does it?!), whereas KoS certainly does feature snakes, and maybe Crocodile has something to do with crocs...or the croc call that someone pointed out in another thread (maybe a working title)?

But i bet you're right with the last part, it likely came by chance. When i heard "hear comes snake face" in Phonestrap this AM, i wondered what that means...and why this imagery has inspired Karl before.

Re:testudo - Ah Kittens and Puppies, very diferent animals and different style songs!

Flywaver 10-01-2007 12:32 PM

Kittens is the finest Euphoric moment on Beaucoup Fish.
I don't get why Cups is the most popular as it feels unfinished to me.
Puppies is growing on me lately.Never used to listen to it.

the real stuff 10-01-2007 12:37 PM

Rick and Karl have spoken in interviews about how they are very often inspired visually, and attempt to translate a texture or series of colors (and so forth) into music and poetry. It wouldn't surprise me if they named a few tracks after the images that inspired them.

Crocodile has a very reptillian sound to it, and I can't be sure if that's not backwards reasoning (associating reptillian qualities to the music after hearing the title) but there's a sample in there that does sound like a baby croc.

testudo 10-01-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the real stuff
Rick and Karl have spoken in interviews about how they are very often inspired visually

actaully I remember Karl saying that Rick is imspired by visuals... while karl was inspired by 'other things'

the real stuff 10-01-2007 02:30 PM

.NUXX lyrics were inspired by 'those blurry snapshots of the street' when stumbling home drunk. 'course, we know what that song was named after ..

I'm sure some tracks have more meaningful titles to R+K than others, but in the end they don't make a lot of sense. We can see they have fixations on certain things (lots of animals..) but I'm not sure it means much.

Lx_Nen 10-01-2007 02:34 PM

Didn't we establish that Crocodile is named after the reptile that's sampled for percussion sounds?

ndrwrld 10-01-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywaver
Kittens is the finest Euphoric moment on Beaucoup Fish.

kittens is the 1 much beloved song of mine i have yet to hear live...
hint hint hint karl...