Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Prodigy announce new single/new album (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18427)

iamneorev 09-19-2017 11:49 AM

The Prodigy announce new single/new album

https://i.imgur.com/jpsock0.png

The Prodigy announce a new single later this year with a new album in early 2018!

iamneorev 07-11-2018 04:24 PM

Re: The Prodigy announce new single/new album

Things are finally happening folks. Get ready!

joethelion 07-14-2018 03:06 PM

....why does Liam always do this?

Like, by now - why hasn't someone sat him down and said - 'Hey you don't announce what you're gonna do - wait till something is done, then announce it'

A new album every 5 years or so isn't exactly terrible, I mean - look at the time between Bowie's last two albums - or pretty much Portishead's entire discography. But at least they didn't go "hey guys - guess what!?!? New stuff is coming soon" every 6 months / year.

ndrwrld 07-14-2018 05:18 PM

there is zero on the web about a new album.
zero.

iamneorev 07-17-2018 11:21 AM

I told you, album #7 is on the way...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlVpo7wl...d=r88bcsl7kzlo

We should have an official announcement soon.

Guess folks missed the screw up where a couple of digital music services leaked one of the tunes by accident. I contacted someone connected to the band and they had it pulled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrwrld (Post 164013)
there is zero on the web about a new album.
zero.

So sure of yourself, eh? Oh there are things on the web about the new album if you know how and where to look. I wish I could tell you more but I don't want to spoil the band’s announcement. Just enjoy the ride. New single and album is coming, folks!

iamneorev 07-17-2018 11:26 AM

@joethelion

It's real time. Liam just posted a clip. Me and few folks already stumbled upon evidence of what's to come. We didn't want to ruin the announcement and kept it quiet. We knew about The Day Is My Enemy's art, title, and tracklisting weeks in advance. Again, we kept it quiet cuz we respect the band.

holden 07-17-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 164019)
I told you, album #7 is on the way...
I wish I could tell you more but I don't want to spoil the band’s announcement. Just enjoy the ride. New single and album is coming, folks!

Glad you're feeling excited for this and that the Prodigy are still making music, I suppose. For me, each successive album since FOTL has been increasingly disappointing. TDIME was really bad imho, just every track the same overdriven tough guy techno. But maybe that's just me. They don't make em like Jilted Generation anymore. I'm just not a fan anymore. But it seems a lot of folks still are.

Personally, I'm more excited for Hybrid, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, heck even Crystal Method with new records soon, all of which have moved on from mid career slumps. They have all tried out new sounds, to various degrees of success, and I still can enjoy their latest tunes.

jetpig 07-17-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 164021)
Glad you're feeling excited for this and that the Prodigy are still making music, I suppose. For me, each successive album since FOTL has been increasingly disappointing. TDIME was really bad imho, just every track the same overdriven tough guy techno. But maybe that's just me. They don't make em like Jilted Generation anymore. I'm just not a fan anymore. But it seems a lot of folks still are.

Personally, I'm more excited for Hybrid, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, heck even Crystal Method with new records soon, all of which have moved on from mid career slumps. They have all tried out new sounds, to various degrees of success, and I still can enjoy their latest tunes.

It's really too bad. I get the feel they are trying to make stuff to fit in the current mainstream aggro-tronica, but all that's based entirely off what they did 20 years ago.

iamneorev 07-18-2018 08:34 AM

Tomorrow
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlYLWZ2B...=11d6ut9desbrs

iamneorev 07-18-2018 08:48 AM

https://youtu.be/s-kt7OXHkrg

iamneorev 07-19-2018 09:35 AM

E-mail sent out announcing "Need Some1" single premiere on Annie Mac tonight as well as video premiere on YouTube afterwards...
http://i.imgur.com/QOVGO25.jpg

No Tourists album title and cover art announced on their Instagram...
http://i.imgur.com/hUWglH5.jpg

And you didn't believe me. :)

iamneorev 07-19-2018 11:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_U74eyB5o8
Preorder: https://theprodigy.tmstor.es

holden 07-19-2018 04:27 PM

Slightly less annoying than anything on Invaders Must Die, but...sigh...same old (and tired) sounds. Is that really a glass breaking percussion hit? C'mon,Liam, you're better than that. Or are you, considering the style hasn't changed since Fat of the Land?

Yeah, I realize Prodigy have always been aggressive rave/rock, but whereas Jilted and FoTL seemed cutting edge and a little dangerous, everything since has been in the same vein and less exciting as a result. I can't listen to Invaders or TDiME without hitting skip because it's just an onslaught of nonsense and big beats without any of the melody or build of their 90's tunes like Climbatize or Narcotic Suite ( ok, AONO had a few interesting tracks like Girls and Memphis Bells, mostly because they were different from the shouty Keith and Maxim nonsense and it was after the backlash of the truly awful Baby's Got a Temper, a.k.a. Firestarter 2.0)

Points for consistency. I'm sure this will go down great live.
Negative marks for creativity.

iamneorev 08-23-2018 11:06 AM

A new clip of a Prodigy track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlz-wYdNb4

holden 08-24-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 164154)
A new clip of a Prodigy track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlz-wYdNb4

Voodoo People v. 2018. Yawn. But then, what's old eventually comes around again as cutting edge.

iamneorev 08-25-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 164159)
Voodoo People v. 2018. Yawn. But then, what's old eventually comes around again as cutting edge.

You mean Their Law, he's using the Their Law synth preset, but playing different notes. The rest of the clip sounds absolutely nothing like Their Law or Voodoo People.

If this is bothering you now, then you haven't been paying close attention. Liam has been reusing/resampling sounds since the beginning.

- The opening of Smack My Bitch Up goes all the way back to Crazy Man in 1992
- Out Of Space bells have appeared in Diesel Power and Omen
- Everybody In The Place roll effect in The Big Gundown
- Rhythm Of Life and Break And Enter and his Jesus Jones remix shares bits and pieces

...just to name a few. There's little sounds ripped out and reused all over. Liam has always been about sampling, not just others but also himself.

Pay close attention. ;)

holden 08-25-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 164161)
You mean Their Law, he's using the Their Law synth preset, but playing different notes. The rest of the clip sounds absolutely nothing like Their Law or Voodoo People.

If this is bothering you now, then you haven't been paying close attention. Liam has been reusing/resampling sounds since the beginning.

- The opening of Smack My Bitch Up goes all the way back to Crazy Man in 1992
- Out Of Space bells have appeared in Diesel Power and Omen
- Everybody In The Place roll effect in The Big Gundown
- Rhythm Of Life and Break And Enter and his Jesus Jones remix shares bits and pieces

...just to name a few. There's little sounds ripped out and reused all over. Liam has always been about sampling, not just others but also himself.

Pay close attention. ;)

Sampling oneself is fine (see Chemical Brothers), I suppose, and i know Liam has dug deep with other people's sounds to create new tunes. I'll withhold further judgement until I hear the full album. I'm just not impressed by Need Some 1 or really anything beyond AONO. It just is all in the same vein of tough guy aggro with hardly any melody or progression. prodigy wasn't like that in the 90's, so I know what they're capable of achieving. Maybe No Tourists will be a progression of style after all. But till it's out, I reserve the right to opine that these clips sound like ground already covered.

iamneorev 08-25-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 164163)
Sampling oneself is fine (see Chemical Brothers), I suppose, and i know Liam has dug deep with other people's sounds to create new tunes. I'll withhold further judgement until I hear the full album. I'm just not impressed by Need Some 1 or really anything beyond AONO. It just is all in the same vein of tough guy aggro with hardly any melody or progression. prodigy wasn't like that in the 90's, so I know what they're capable of achieving. Maybe No Tourists will be a progression of style after all. But till it's out, I reserve the right to opine that these clips sound like ground already covered.

It's all good, I haven't been blown away by an Underworld album in full from front to back since Beaucoup Fish. They've written some great songs since, but no albums that have enthralled like their big 3. All these legendary 90s electronic artists seem to have their big 3. Sure, I can put on any Underworld and listen to it. I don't mean that they suck and I hate it. It just doesn't excite me as much as say Dubnobass or Second Toughest or BF, but still not terrible albums.

Personally, I have enjoyed more material off The Prodigy's AONO to TDIME than Underworld's AHDO to BBWFASF. But hey, to each their own. It depends on the mood you're looking for. I have the same feeling for Chemical Brothers. They have never matched the greatness of EPD, DYOH, and Surrender. I LOVE Surrender. But for the most part I can put on any Chem Bros album and not hate it. But many of these artists don't match the greatness of their earlier stuff, but still enjoyable to me.

I enjoyed IMD and TDIME, AONO was 50/50. Have they had as much of an impact on me as Experience, Jilted, or Fat? No. But I still enjoy them. Prodigy are all about playing live now. It's where they make their money. So they write music that hits hard live... and these new tracks work live.

As for Chems, Push The Button and Born In The Echoes are on the bottom for me. Barking and BBWFASF are on the bottom of my Underworld list. Again, I don't hate these albums, just don't enjoy them as much as the others. But they don't want to make me claw my ears out like a Creed or Nickelback or David Guetta or Katy Perry album.

Shockingly, I thought Orbital's Wonky was their best album. I know, blasphemy, but I really enjoyed that album. I also love In Sides and Snivilization. Excited to see how Monsters Exist turns out.

holden 08-25-2018 04:12 PM

Cheers, friend, I get you!

It's tough to be a fan of long-standing acts that go through phases of evolution, status quo, return to the safety of the expected. I've had my ebbs and troughs with all the bands you mention. Thankfully, I've found enough in their latter day output to keep Cheering!

Believe it or not, I really liked the Prodigy in the past. I wish the best for their new album. I'd given up on the Chems after Push the Button, but Further renewed my devotion. Underworlds Barking isn't my fave, but I did like the change in scope and introspection of Bbwfasf.
Orbital have come and gone a few times, so I always appreciate that they have new music. But while Blue was a safe Gambit, and Wonky was a bit of a throwback, they show sparks of new creativity. T b d. (PS loving P.h.u.k.)

Hybrid is another band I left for dead after I choose noise, as orchstral scores with some breakbeat. But Disappear Here in 2010 totally changed the playbook. I'm excited by their new album and shifting direction.

In sum, I appreciate your allegiance to a band you love. Some people on this forum will defend anything Underworld produces. But as you've seen with the latest Iggy Pop collaborations, there's a healthy debate. I wonder how it is in the Prodigy forums?

Ultimately, musical taste is subjective. I'll check out No Tourists, definitely. I hope to like what I hear, because Prodigy was one of the bands that introduced me to electronic dance genres.

iamneorev 08-25-2018 08:24 PM

Yeah, Push The Button didn't do it for me. It's definitely on the bottom of the Chemical Brothers album list. I did like We Are The Night though, thought it was a step up and more enjoyable than PTB. Further was the closest I heard them get to their classic Big 3 sound and quite enjoyed it. They should have included Don't Think on the album and I could have done without Escape Velocity or if it was much later in the album. Born In The Echoes has a few solid tracks (EML Ritual, Under Neon Lights, Reflexion), but the rest were a bit meh. I like more tracks on BITE than PTB, so I guess BITE takes second to last place.

As for Prodigy fans, it's 50/50. You got folks who only like their first 3 albums and that's it and you got others who still love what they do. They made a ton of new fans with Invaders Must Die who are still around. They're actually doing quite well. Honestly, going back to their earlier albums, they always lose some old fans and gain new ones with each new album. I don't think The Prodigy care about breaking new ground or inventing a new genre, they just wanna do what they do best, have fun traveling, and playing loud/hard tracks that hit live.

Leftfield's third album Alternative Light Source was a bit underwhelming. Then again, it is really only one half of Leftfield now. Hard to top Leftism and Rhythm And Stealth. Leftism gets all the praise, but R&S is my jam.

I miss Fluke. I fucking love Risotto. Oto is also good. But man, for me, Risotto is a masterpiece. I wish they would reunite.

I thought Underworld lost something when Darren Emerson left. I will say Barbara Barbara is a step up from Barking. Twenty Three Blue should have been on the album. I did enjoy the Riverrun series and hope they reissue stuff from that era like they have been doing for each album.

potatobroth 08-29-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 164166)
EML Ritual

a top 5 CB track for me. absolutely love this one.

iamneorev 09-03-2018 07:22 PM

The Prodigy debuted their new track "Light Up The Sky" on Sunday at Electric Picnic. This is the same song featured in the tour announcement video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8W1cCjv9KQ

holden 09-07-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamneorev (Post 164166)

I miss Fluke. I fucking love Risotto. Oto is also good. But man, for me, Risotto is a masterpiece. I wish they would reunite.

You nailed it! I remember exactly where I was when I bought and first listened to Risotto. Love Puppy, too. 2Bit Pie and Syntax were both amazing offshoot bands. But indeed, I hope that someday Fluke will fully reform. They're in my top 10 electronic bands guaranteed.

Back on track, I've been listening to Fat of the Land a lot lately. Just a stunning, startling album, even 20 years on. I hope that the new LP will similarly inspire. Some records are of their time, some immediately forgettable, others transcendent.

iamneorev 09-08-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 164184)
Back on track, I've been listening to Fat of the Land a lot lately. Just a stunning, startling album, even 20 years on. I hope that the new LP will similarly inspire. Some records are of their time, some immediately forgettable, others transcendent.

I think that new track "Light Up The Sky" sounds promising. I wasn't too thrilled with "Need Some1" as I heard an earlier live version with a different synth line that I prefer over the album version. But it seems "Need Some1" isn't meant to be their big official comeback single, more of a little welcome back taster. They did something similar with Invaders Must Die when they released the title track ahead of the album, but "Omen" was the real single they pushed. Actually, they've done this since the beginning now that I think about it. "One Love" came out almost a year before Jilted dropped and "Firestarter" was over a year before FOTL arrived.

I love The Fat Of The Land, my favorite Prodigy album. I started listening to them in 1993 when I was 9 years old. A lot of folks praise Jilted as their fave, which it is an amazing record, but FOTL is a whole other level. The accumulation of so many sounds and styles, just powerful. Like Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, it transcends electronic music and brought electronic music to a bigger audience. That era also had some great b-sides: "Molotov Bitch," "The Trick," "One Man Army / No Man Army".

In 2002, Liam finally put out their cover of The Specials of "Ghost Town" that was done during FOTL, but was scrapped after Tricky dropped his own cover around the same tine. So if you like the production of FOTL, check out "Ghost Town." It was included on the NME & Warchild Presents 1 Love and Independents Day ID08 charity compilations. Also, "Back 2 Skool" is an FOTL era leftover that was played live in 2002 and finally finished abd released in 2005 on the Their Law compilation bonus disc. That bonus disc also features "Voodoo Beats," which is Liam's remix of The Chemical Brothers remix of "Voodoo People" that he used to drop live during FOTL tours.

It's a shame for it's 15th anniversary, the label reissued the album with newly commissioned remixes instead of just putting the album together with its b-sides and any other unreleased material. Leftfield did the same crap with their Leftism 22 release meanwhile they have loads of b-sides and alternate versions from that era. No one wants new remixes.

There was an unreleased FOTL track called "Take Me On" that featured Skin from Skunk Anansie on vocals which never surfaced. Liam did sample some guitars from a Skunk Anansie track on "Serial Thrilla." She would eventually collaborated with vocalist Maxim on his track "Carmen Queasy" for his solo album Hell's Kitchen. "Climbatize" was also structurally very, very different and was intended to fear Perry Farrell on vocals. It was originally more of a building and evolving type of track. Liam met with Perry who asked them to play Lollapalooza at the time. Sadly, their schedule was full with writing the new album and shows they already booked. Liam had to turn him down, so Perry responded by telling him he couldn't do the track.

joethelion 09-10-2018 08:15 AM

I thought that 'Ghost Town' was actually supposed to be on AONO (not that it was a FOTL track), plus - Tricky's version came out in '95... and they played it live a few times during that weird period when the AONO was supposed to come out (but didn't).

I could be mis-remembering (it's easily been 10 years since I've heard the recordings), but I think "Ghost Town" used to transition into "Medusa's Path"

Plus, I’d say that “Back 2 Skool” was an AONO song (not FOTL), b/c it was used on their website to promote the original version of the album.

...and as far as "Climbatize" ... I'm a bit confused about your timeline:

"Liam met with Perry who asked them to play Lollapalooza at the time. Sadly, their schedule was full with writing the new album and shows they already booked. Liam had to turn him down, so Perry responded by telling him he couldn't do the track."

...because the Prodigy actually did headline Lolla in 1997*
(* I remember wanting to go back then, but I had no chance - as I was 14, and I don't think it toured anywhere near where I lived)

FOTL was/is also my favorite album of theirs, but I think something happened to Liam/the band that just fundamentally shifted their confidence (and their sound) around '99 / '01. I mean - there were several songs recorded (and even played live) for AONO, which still haven’t been released, including: another Kool Keith song, Gun (Reprise), Nuclear, Benny Blanco, No Souvenirs… just off the top of my head. The original “Shoot Down” is also leaps and bounds better than the released version.

(edit)
also, thanks for mentioning "Carmen Queasy" - I totally forgot about that track! Just popped it onto my iPhone

iamneorev 09-10-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 164189)
I thought that 'Ghost Town' was actually supposed to be on AONO (not that it was a FOTL track), plus - Tricky's version came out in '95... and they played it live a few times during that weird period when the AONO was supposed to come out (but didn't).

I could be mis-remembering (it's easily been 10 years since I've heard the recordings), but I think "Ghost Town" used to transition into "Medusa's Path"

Plus, I’d say that “Back 2 Skool” was an AONO song (not FOTL), b/c it was used on their website to promote the original version of the album.

...and as far as "Climbatize" ... I'm a bit confused about your timeline:

"Liam met with Perry who asked them to play Lollapalooza at the time. Sadly, their schedule was full with writing the new album and shows they already booked. Liam had to turn him down, so Perry responded by telling him he couldn't do the track."

...because the Prodigy actually did headline Lolla in 1997*
(* I remember wanting to go back then, but I had no chance - as I was 14, and I don't think it toured anywhere near where I lived)

FOTL was/is also my favorite album of theirs, but I think something happened to Liam/the band that just fundamentally shifted their confidence (and their sound) around '99 / '01. I mean - there were several songs recorded (and even played live) for AONO, which still haven’t been released, including: another Kool Keith song, Gun (Reprise), Nuclear, Benny Blanco, No Souvenirs… just off the top of my head. The original “Shoot Down” is also leaps and bounds better than the released version.

(edit)
also, thanks for mentioning "Carmen Queasy" - I totally forgot about that track! Just popped it onto my iPhone

All I can say to you is trust me, I know these things. Part of it being a hardcore fan since 1993, part of it reading their autobiography, and part of it I can't exactly tell you.

Liam was writing FOTL tracks as far back as 1994 with "Fuel My Fire" being the first and "Funky Shit" in 1995. They used to often close with "No Good (Start The Dance)" and invite fans on stage to dance. Liam began performing "Fuel My Fire" to ataginize the crowd. Keith was listening to L7 when dropping by the studio and Liam heard the track and got the idea to cover it. As Liam would jokingly say "Dance to that, you cunts." "Ghost Town" was first performed at Reading 1998. Liam is a huge Specials fan and they are an inspiration for his music. His cover of "Ghost Town" is that old. They dropped it live in 1998 because there wasn't much of new music he had written and wanted to do something special for Reading 98.

"Ghost Town" performed at Reading '98...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpjJ6JggD70

They also called the Beastie Boys out at this show as they rung up The Prodigy to tell them not to play "Smack My Bitch Up" anymore. Liam, being a huge Beastie Boys fan, was greatly disappointed in this. He still says Beastie Boys are the one group he wish he could have collaborated and toured with.

The Prodigy versus Beastie Boys incident...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GjkFUvXGs

From an interview with Liam, "Back 2 Skool" roots goes all the way back to FOTL. He would use pieces/loops for their website later on. He dropped a beta version live at Leeds 2002 as their opener, but wouldn't finish and release the track until 2005. The "Medusa Path" breakdown that you are thinking of was done during their cover of Madness' "Nightboat To Cairo," also played at Leeds 2002.

"Nightboat To Cairo" with "Medusa's Path" breakdown at Leeds 2002...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jINMBwvKGk

Perry Farrell asked them to play Lollapalooza 1996 when Liam asked him to work on "Climbatize," but they couldn't as they were in the midst of writing the new album and already touring. Liam had to completely rework the track. They would eventually play the festival in 1997. If you watch the Brixton live video from October 1996 on YouTube, you will hear them drop a beta version of "Serial Thrilla" known as "Lyrical Terrorist" at the time. It would be the very last song Liam would finish right at the deadline to hand the album in. It took a long time for Liam to finish FOTL as he went through a period of writer's block.

"Lyrical Terrorist" aka "Serial Thrilla (Beta Version)" performed at Brixton 1996...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bP4CZ5AzY

U2 also asked them to open for them as well as Madonna and David Bowie both asked Liam to produce their albums, which would have been Ray Of Light and Earthling. Liam turned them all down, but he did open for Madonna, who ran their US label Maverick, performing DJ sets in 1999.

"No Souvenirs" was a track Liam did with 3D of Massive Attack for the soundtrack to the movie The Beach. Alex Garland, who wrote The Beach, is a close friend with the band. Garland is also known as the writer of 28 Days Later and director of Ex Machina and Annihilation. Fun fact, Alex Garland did the drawings of the individual band members for the Experience inside artwork. Liam and 3D connected when they were approached to make music for a porn movie called The Uranus Experiment that features the first zero gravity ejaculation shot. This is not a joke. Liam's track is called "Titan."

"Titan" taken straight from its sex scene as you will hear women moaning...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EX2utx4EKY

Liam and 3D would go on to work on "No Souvenirs" for The Beach, which apparently two mixes exist. One is Liam's own mix and another is a more psychedelic version done by Massive Attack's Mike Stent. It was meant to be a single for the soundtrack with remixes by UNKLE and Dan The Automator. They decided it was too good and pulled it from the soundtrack at the eleventh hour. Sadly, it has never seen the light of day with only a description of the two mixes written up by Martin James in The Prodigy's autobiography that came out during the writing of AONO v1. UNKLE would later leak their remix to the internet, which pissed Liam off greatly.

"No Souvenirs (UNKLE Remix)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZN_U8sel-A

AONO v1 had several work in progress tracks, including "Baby's Got A Temper," "Trigger," "Nuclear," "Vacation," "Razor," Back 2 Skool," "Dust Yo Self," "Benny Blanco," "Little Goblin," "Medusa's Path," and there is a full vocal version of "Wake Up Call" with Kool Keith. Liam was also writing tracks with Dirt Candy during this time, who would eventually appear on their track "Action Radar." They began debuting tracks live in 2001, but the negative response from critics to "Baby's Got A Temper" when it was released and the feeling that he was writing a FOTL Pt. 2 made Liam scrap what he had written and start over.

Dirt Candy featuring Liam Howlett - "Advice"
Liam would drop a reworked instrumental version known as "Dead Ken Beats" during 2005's Their Law Tour. It was planned as a b-side to the "Thunder" single off their album Invaders Must Die, but the single was scrapped...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVpYrIFh-A

During the writing and scrapping of AONO v1, tensions between Liam and Keith were rising. Honestly, I think Keith was pissed Liam took so much time to write the next album and then scrapping it, so he began doing his own thing. Keith had been jamming with his band at the time and bringing Liam ideas, such as "NNNN" aka "Baby's Got A Temper," "Razor," and "Vacation." When things weren't going good between them, Keith tried to put out an album with his own band Flint that featured these tracks. They would release a lead single, play some festivals, and have promos of their album Device 1 pressed up only to abandon it and disband. Keith was also a member of Clever Brains Fryin.

Flint - "Razor" with hidden track "NNNN" aka "Baby's Got A Temper" from their album Device 1...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KNBuegZ_0A

Liam went back to the drawing board and wrote an album that didn't feature Keith or Maxim that he felt went back to their roots, which would become the AONO that we know. "Trigger" would become "Guns" then become "Shoot Down," bits of "Nuclear" show up in "Action Radar," "Benny Blanco" became the bridge in "Girls," while "Razor" and "Back 2 Skool" would eventually be included on the Their Law bonus disc.

"Guns (Rough Mix)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7n1CudFn38

When they announced the new album No Tourists, Liam was actually still finishing the album. If you check out his Instagram page, he finished the album on August 1st. "Need Some1" had already been released as a single with the album announcement in July. Engine Earz announed that they finished mastering the album a couple of weeks later. So like with FOTL, once again, Liam went right up to the deadline to hand the album in.

iamneorev 09-10-2018 05:05 PM

P.S.
I think something new may be dropping this week.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 09-11-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 164184)
You nailed it! I remember exactly where I was when I bought and first listened to Risotto. Love Puppy, too. 2Bit Pie and Syntax were both amazing offshoot bands. But indeed, I hope that someday Fluke will fully reform. They're in my top 10 electronic bands guaranteed.

whatever happened to those dudes? that Syntax record was brilliant. can't believe it was 14 (!!!) years ago! last I heard they were doing a 3-part EP called Tripolar but only the first one ever came out.

iamneorev 09-11-2018 11:52 AM

Miss Fluke :(

Last great Fluke track...

https://youtu.be/82mTIvPvw3I

So hard to find a CD/lossless copy of the full length track as it is only available on rare promo CDs. I do have a vinyl rip though, but always searching for CD quality. I do have a lossless rip of the edit from a promo CD, which is rare and hard to find.

joethelion 09-12-2018 11:04 AM

iamneorev - thanks for the refresher, I was familiar with some of that - but certainly not everything, and I guess I just confused / 'mis-remembered' the cover of "Nightboat To Cairo" with "Ghost Town"

I had no idea "Back 2 Skool" was that old! Or that there was a vocal version of “Dead Ken Beats”.

It’s a shame that AONO v1 was scrapped… it’s also weird hearing Flint’s version of BGAT, with so little emphasis on ‘rohypnol’. I just don’t get why Liam would go “oh let’s make THAT the chorus”.

Ages ago, I found a fan edit of BGAT which restructures the track, so ‘No Name, No Number’ is the hook (which is much, much less cringeworthy)

Oh yea - I remember hearing about “The Uranus Experiment”… I never understood WHY 3D & Liam would do a porno soundtrack. 3D’s track was called “Inflight Data” - luckily, you can find it without moans, on a mix cd for the “Nocturne” club. I could be wrong, but I think there’s at least one more song from the “film.”

One (small) correction about "No Souvenirs" -> technically UNKLE didn't leak the song on the internet....

What happened was - ‘someone’ (probably shouldn't say who, don't want to get them in trouble) sold a cd-r of James Lavelle's dj set at a club in Belfast, from 2000.

“Official Bootleg CD Belfast” is two discs, and contains almost all of the same tracks as on the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Beats" x3 cd, except for the appearance of “No Souvenirs”.

One of the people who bought a copy of the dj set cut the track out, and made it available to download on an UNKLE message board.

Elements of the UNKLE remix of “No Souvenirs” were then used in “Narco Tourists” and “Safe in Mind”

iamneorev 09-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 164198)
iOne (small) correction about "No Souvenirs" -> technically UNKLE didn't leak the song on the internet....

What happened was - ‘someone’ (probably shouldn't say who, don't want to get them in trouble) sold a cd-r of James Lavelle's dj set at a club in Belfast, from 2000.

“Official Bootleg CD Belfast” is two discs, and contains almost all of the same tracks as on the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Beats" x3 cd, except for the appearance of “No Souvenirs”.

One of the people who bought a copy of the dj set cut the track out, and made it available to download on an UNKLE message board.

Elements of the UNKLE remix of “No Souvenirs” were then used in “Narco Tourists” and “Safe in Mind”

Ah yes, I remember seeing that bootleg CD. Liam was really pissed about it. I wish I could find the interview where it was mentioned and he bashed it. The problem with so many fans dying to hear "No Souvenirs" can somewhat be blamed on Martin James who wrote their autobiography. The opening of the book is this big description of him listening to the track with Liam and his wife while they drive and he goes on about how great and different it is and how it is the next phase of The Prodigy. So obviously fans wanted to hear it. But it seems we never will. I don't know why Liam just doesn't put it out for the fans. Unless he's saving it for some unreleased collection when retirement comes. A part of me was hoping it may be on the new album as its title and Liam's reason behind the title really fit with the theme of The Beach. I could see how it lyrically wouldn't work on either AONO or IMD. If Liam really wanted to get those album sales, having "No Souvenirs" on the it would do the trick. He is sitting on a few unreleased tracks.

holden 09-13-2018 09:04 PM

That's a lot if great information and educ. I hope that the new record will live up to your hype that they've got it all together. You seem well informed, and I appreciate your influences. But you have to admit, the proof is in the record, and the last few albums have been diminishing returns. Here's hoping for a rebound. It's happened before for 90's behemoths.

(P.s. like your stealthy insider perspective! I have a few notes for Liam if you can get them to him! Mostly around breaking the mold of what he's done before)

crank 09-19-2018 09:46 AM

i miss Fluke too. :(

iamneorev 09-19-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 164212)
i miss Fluke too. :(

https://youtu.be/82mTIvPvw3I

Been trying to find a CD rip of this track for ages or the actual promo CD to buy. Only got an old vinyl rip. I do have a lossless rip of Pulse (Edit) from a rare promo CD. Wish Fluke would reissue this stuff digitally.

holden 09-21-2018 06:44 PM

Been listening to Need Some 1 and it's remixes. Gotta say, the mixes are more interesting than the single. wh0 mix is best, imho.
Funny how remixes make you reconsider the original track.

iamneorev 09-22-2018 09:23 AM

Looks like Light Up The Sky is dropping this week...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoCJ_pfhX-6/

iamneorev 09-25-2018 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New single Light Up The Sky drops tomorrow, Sept. 26th

iamneorev 09-26-2018 09:41 AM

LIGHT UP THE SKY
https://youtu.be/GAm48rkUBl4

Makes me wanna mosh... kinda feels like FOTL meets the better half of AONO

joethelion 09-29-2018 12:52 PM

hmm... that isn't too bad. You're right, it definitely reminds me of a mix between FOTL and AONO

feeling a bit more optimistic about the new album.

iamneorev 10-11-2018 03:58 PM

https://youtu.be/B_z_lZ69pJ0

I like it, think it's the best of the 3 new tracks. Sounds like it's gonna be a diverse album and the most modern sounding.