Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "I Exhale" - first single from Shining Future (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18240)

Troy McClure 01-19-2016 03:35 AM

"I Exhale" - first single from Shining Future

'I Exhale (edit)' on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4nTRJuvDnM

kontakt1968 01-19-2016 03:35 AM

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)

Karl phoned in an interview , interesting new track and they are playing 6 music festival in Bristol in February.

scary man 01-19-2016 03:39 AM

We seem to have a radio edit of the new single I Exhale.

https://youtu.be/z4nTRJuvDnM

miss glitch 01-19-2016 03:48 AM

Very different - but I really like the distorted guitar fuzz. Bit Pixies-y. I wasn't super-keen on the sampler so am pleasantly surprised!

purlieu 01-19-2016 03:51 AM

Strange choice for a single but I think I like it. I'm really glad it took me by surprise, that's something I was really hoping for.

King of Snake 01-19-2016 04:45 AM

Well it's certainly different, and I always leave open the option that something new from Underworld might grow on me if I don't like it immediately. But tbh I can't see myself getting into this at all.
Not my cup of tea to say the least.

kontakt1968 01-19-2016 05:28 AM

Just downloaded I exhale from the underworld store as a free download if you ordered direct from them.

holden 01-19-2016 06:17 AM

First listen: uhm, what?
Second listen: wow, there're a lot of sounds in here.
Third listen: I think I get it!

Sort of like "Trim" or "Ring Road" in that the melody doesn't really evolve, its a dirtier, rock sound, and the snippets of Karl's reports from the streets are a little bit all over the place. Maybe repeated listens will help me suss it out. But I like the groove, the overall atmosphere, Rick's voice in background, and yeah, a lot of noises to be revealed!

mothra 01-19-2016 06:35 AM

Very glad I pre-ordered, really cannot wait for March. Nice juncture.
I am not an Underworld anthem kinda of Gall myself so was really hoping for it to go more in the vein of OWB and tracks like Sappys curry etc those epic sublime tracks in between the commercial floor fillers. Thank you Rick and Karl for your fantastic musical brains.
So want to see this live but it costs half a mortgage to go to the Emerald City.....:(

qirex 01-19-2016 07:51 AM

I like it but we only have 7 tracks this go around with 6 left... If there were 9 or 10 I would be happy to find this eventually somewhere on the album but as a lead single of an already short album? Mixed feelings.

khouri 01-19-2016 08:03 AM

Feels like an unfinished jam, and Karl's voice thrown in as an afterthought.

jetpig 01-19-2016 11:10 AM

Re: "I Exhale" - first single from Shining Future

I dig it, but something is off. In my experience their radio edits usually butcher the full track, though.

Dino3D 01-19-2016 11:30 AM

Love the song! And love that the album version will be 8 mins!

jetpig 01-19-2016 02:26 PM

full track here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvU8wuXQgE8

potatobroth 01-19-2016 02:27 PM

The 8 min version is available on iTunes if you preordered.

twicezero 01-19-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 159589)

The 8 min version is rocking my world. It reminds me so some things but I can't say what yet. Its got something of the radioshow vibes in it...

Yes, that it, it's a riverrun... its full of JAL and Peggy sussed...

potatobroth 01-19-2016 04:25 PM

My initial reaction first few listens:

LOVE the music. Love the progression of the sounds overlapping. love the background vocals. am luke-warm to Karl's main vocals. my initial reaction this was a missed opportunity to have a rolling spoonman/slippy lyrics set placed on top. as it is now, i get a Me White Noise vibe from Blur - ranting lyrics. Eh. It may grow more on me, but so far its not the homerun i think it could have been. still loving it tho.

Totally a Pixies vibe to the chords. Love that actually.

holden 01-19-2016 06:27 PM

The 8:11 album version is so much better. Vocals still remind me of "Ring Road", for some reason, but yeah, echoes of "Peggy Sussed", too, with the buzzy bass and blasts of sound.
You really get the sense that the boys were experimenting with lots of instruments...the often-cacophonous sounds combine to make perfect sense as the sum of their parts.

This seems like a song one could listen to a bunch of times and hear new noises with each repetition. I'm five listens in and went from "eh" to "yeah" over that span. Of course, i'm predisposed to love UW...

potatobroth 01-19-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 159595)
I'm five listens in and went from "eh" to "yeah" over that span. Of course, i'm predisposed to love UW...

exactly. the only thing not gelling with me at this point are the style of the main lyrics. they're too spread out; i can't sing to this song like i can Jumbo, Slippy, TMO, Moaner. There's nothing to sing except little snippets.

King of Snake 01-20-2016 12:14 AM

Yeah that's my biggest beef with this song too. First listen I thought "Oh this is gonna be the intro and we'll get into the song proper in a bit" but then the whole song was like that. Long version doesn't really add anything. Just more of the same.

darkvoice 01-20-2016 02:10 AM

Yeah... Bruce Lee

Flywaver 01-20-2016 06:50 AM

Karl doing a great Mark E Smith impression there

potatobroth 01-20-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Snake (Post 159598)
Yeah that's my biggest beef with this song too. First listen I thought "Oh this is gonna be the intro and we'll get into the song proper in a bit" but then the whole song was like that. Long version doesn't really add anything. Just more of the same.

I love the music. Just missing that one piece, that one run-on-sentence lyrical awesome that defines a lot of UW for me. i had the EXACT same experience on first listen... ok these short phrases are leading to the full lyrics. oh, they arent? hmm ok.

Dunwho 01-20-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Snake (Post 159598)

Funny, I thought the lyrics were also some sort of intro and, to be honest, I was cringing for when the main song would kick in... cringing, because based on how Barking went, that main song was inevitably going to be super cheesy (imo)... but it different happen. It kept going, and I was delighted. Its actually not very unusual either... its just a standard progressive house idea. The song builds on the one repeating shape. Two chords..

The only thing missing is a dominant 4 to the floor beat.. but otherwise it is a progressive house tune and there are some really cool noises.. sonic walls... The background chant gives it a nice bit of structure.. but otherwise it is pleasantly unpredictable.. lots to listen to.. lots to like and consume on multiple listens.

This is fun. This i like.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 01-20-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twicezero (Post 159591)
The 8 min version is rocking my world. It reminds me so some things but I can't say what yet. Its got something of the radioshow vibes in it...

Yes, that it, it's a riverrun... its full of JAL and Peggy sussed...

Definitely - this is the direction I think most of us thought they were going in 2005-2006.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flywaver (Post 159604)
Karl doing a great Mark E Smith impression there

yup - sounds very much like 90's Fall, plus I hear a bit of Eno's "Golden Hours" in those BG vox.

I dig this tune a lot. This group has been a huge part of my life for nearly twenty years, since I was a kid delivering papers really, I'll always cherish the nights I spent going mental to Everything Everything but I really want this new album to be something new, cuz these guys are so talented and I'm afraid if they go the way of an electrodinosaur act they won't want to make music anymore. I've been listening to OWB a ton lately, some days I think it's actually their best album, an opinion I never would have understood nine years ago, but I've grown up and I love that they have too.

dubman 01-20-2016 10:30 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

scary man 01-20-2016 10:53 AM

It's sounds like Sleaford Mods covering 'Raspberry Beret'.
I love it.

vacant 01-20-2016 02:08 PM

Early thoughts (on the radio edit): Love the bassline, and how it works musically. Not too keen on the vocals, seem a bit too like a song (or poem) and less stream of consciousness than what's come before. Lyrically it seems a bit 'current' and slightly cringey.
Sure it will grow though and I look forward to the album.

v.

TheBang 01-20-2016 05:49 PM

Ugh. Please don't listen to the radio edit. I don't know why they do this, but UW posts deliberately low-quality (low sample rate, mono instead of stereo) versions (they did this with Cut Clouds too), presumably to encourage you to buy the real thing. Instead, all it really does is make it sound like shit, and then, because this is the Internet in the 21st Century, someone else just posts the full quality track anyway.

Please just listen to this one:

holden 01-20-2016 06:35 PM

The more I listen to the 8:11 version, the more I'm impressed with UW's willingness to try something different. Yes, the vocals aren't anything we haven't heard before, but the tune...its like they are walking a fine line between harmony and dissonance... I respect these guys as musicians, and am impressed by how they've layered guitar, bass, horns, electro squelches, background vocals that all are a bit rough, but are no doubt carefully planned and produced.

I like what Karl's been saying in interviews, that they challenged themselves to create something new each day. Oh, and that they hope to be back in studio by years' end.
http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Exclusive...ail/story.html

qirex 01-21-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 159614)
Ugh. Please don't listen to the radio edit. I don't know why they do this, but UW posts deliberately low-quality (low sample rate, mono instead of stereo) versions (they did this with Cut Clouds too), presumably to encourage you to buy the real thing. Instead, all it really does is make it sound like shit, and then, because this is the Internet in the 21st Century, someone else just posts the full quality track anyway.

Please just listen to this one:

Don't listen to that one either.

It was just added to Spotify.
https://open.spotify.com/album/64MpcmzRXQWHKhdMkpHUvP

Edit: Now having finally heard the full 8 minute track in high quality I can say this track is definitely growing on me. A lot of new details are shining through.

DeJackyl 01-23-2016 12:21 AM

As with anything with this band, it doesn't matter what I think now, I will love and binge on it in ten years time.

Dino3D 01-23-2016 01:32 PM

Will there be a single release with remixes of I Exhale?

purlieu 01-23-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 159618)
Oh, and that they hope to be back in studio by years' end.

I still think the length of BBWFASF signposts a more direct approach, i.e. a shorter record every 18 months or so rather than a longer one every few years. Given Karl's enthusiasm towards the creative process this seems to make sense - putting stuff out while it's new and exciting, rather than working on it endlessly. This quote obviously backs that up somewhat.

BrotherLovesDub 01-25-2016 11:10 AM

This is a pretty boring song and not even as good as the songs UW gave away for free or relegated to digital only (RiverRun). The reviewers at FACT were certainly not impressed.

http://www.factmag.com/2016/01/25/fa...ld-four-tet/3/

Chris Kelly: Just in time for the Trainspotting sequel, and also about a decade overdue. (2)

April Clare Welsh: It took a few listens before this half-clicked for me. I think it’s probably a case of Underworld doing what they do best – stitching together a patchwork of ideas (a rowdy football chant here, some deadpan poeticisms there), but it still kind of sounds like Sleaford Mods doing the Fall doing Underworld. (6)

Tayyab Amin: This sounds like a formative, even climactic excerpt from a Danny Boyle film about League Two football. The spoken word veers from the meagre inspiration of football manager pep talk realism to pretty much every time I’ve been to a pub sober and had to listen to a mildly drunken, forever-unraveling non-ecdote. (5)

Son Raw: There was a venue in my hometown called Underworld that used to specialize in skate punk and indie hip-hop. It really aimed to become a home for the kind of commodified misfit-by-choice demo that no one really much has time for these days. It closed down last year and the club that took its place books bass house and arty trap.

What I’m trying to say is I don’t know why this still exists. (4)

Daniel Montesinos-Donaghy: This doesn’t make for a bad stomp about, with Karl Hyde doing a Mark E Smith ramble over pleasing swirls of distortion and #LadsOnTour backing vocals, but the song fades into the memory the second it ends. Three minutes and not a hook to grab onto. (6)

philth 01-25-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino3D (Post 159632)
Will there be a single release with remixes of I Exhale?

From the promo text accompanying the original mix:

"An incredible remix by none other than DJ Koze is coming imminently..."

Dino3D 01-25-2016 12:52 PM

I hope there won't be just 1 remix, but a whole remix package! :)

BrotherLovesDub 01-25-2016 01:12 PM

+1 for the DJ Koze remix. That's the best name i've seen attached to an UW remix since Marshall Watson.

mark3 01-25-2016 01:40 PM

Best 'first single' since Push Upstairs, imo...

crank 01-26-2016 07:41 AM

push had a hook, a progression, transitions, more than three interesting sounds, etc.