Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Apple + Underworld (iDrum Underworld Edition) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10150)

BrotherLovesDub 07-16-2009 10:43 AM

Apple + Underworld (iDrum Underworld Edition)

from the press release:

To celebrate the release of the full underworld back catalogue for the first time on iTunes, Underworld, in partnership with cutting edge developer iZotope, bring you an amazing iPhone iDrum application containing some of the most famous tunes from Underworld's juke box of techno classics.

Featuring tracks from all Underworld's albums and including "Born Slippy", "Two Months Off" and "Cowgirl" the application allows the user to remix, re-sequence and reconstruct 12 Underworld tunes and also features a piece created by the band themselves exclusively for the application.

With specially commissioned artwork from Tomato's John Warwicker the application is the closest you'll get to dropping the kick drum on "Born Slippy" without getting on stage with the guys yourself. In celebration, Underworld are giving away a special live version of "Born Slippy" recorded at Brixton Academy and have announced North American dates this August, including (technology permitting!) the worlds first FREE live audio-visual broadcast to the iPhone on Friday August 7th 2009 as Underworld continue their series of incredible live broadcasts at The Fox Oakland Theater.

Direct from the Fox Theatre in Oakland and accessible through Underworldlive.com check out the bands legendary show featuring some of the biggest dance hits of the last 15 years and maybe some future hits for 2010.

This is completely free and all you need is a computer with Quick Time installed on a broadband connection or an iPhone on a wi-fi connection running iPhone 3.0 or higher.

-------------------

Thank you!

stimpee 07-16-2009 11:15 AM

Re: Apple + Underworld

This doesnt look like its been announced yet, but youve got a great scoop there!

This posting http://www.danceblogga.com/2009/07/u...ts-iphone.html says the same stuff but then links to Underworldlive which hasnt been updated :) Im sure it will be soon....

Underworld is unleashing its entire back catalog via iTunes and to celebrate it has partnered with developer iZotope to unveil its iDrum iPhone app, which allows users to remix 12 of the duo's tracks, including "Born Slippy," "Cowgirl" and "Two Months Off." Here's a dl of "Born Slippy" performed live at Brixton Academy in the U.K.

The pair is planning to perform the world's first audio-visual broadcast for the iPhone on Aug. 7. Info here. It has also rolled out additonal North American dates for next month:

08/06 - The Joint - Las Vegas, NV
08/07 - Fox Oakland Theater - Oakland, CA
08/08 - Hardfest - Los Angeles, CA
08/11 - Kool Haus - Toronto, Canada
08/12 - Metropolis - Montreal, Canada
08/14 - Muelle Panamericano - San Juan, Puerto Rico

http://www.magnumpr.net/media/underw...orn_Slippy.mp3

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 07-16-2009 11:52 AM

AhhhHHHHHHhhhh do the west coast??? I think that does it, I might just fly out to one of those shows...

Very cool news, almost makes me want an iPhone now!!

Dirty0900 07-16-2009 12:10 PM

I may have to stay up late then, glad there doing it on a PC to:

Edit:

When UW did the Roundhouse gigs, did any video rips of the gigs appear after Apple covered them? I was at Roundhouse 1 and would love to see it back.

TheBang 07-16-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty0900 (Post 112957)
When UW did the Roundhouse gigs, did any video rips of the gigs appear after Apple covered them?

Released rips? No. Saved and need to be processed? Um, yes. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 112952)
and maybe some future hits for 2010.

So, new album not until next year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 112953)
Here's a dl of "Born Slippy" performed live at Brixton Academy in the U.K.

Haha, waiting for the posts (not here) that say: "Hey, where are the 'lager, lager' lyrics??"

Champiness 07-16-2009 01:09 PM

As there are two great, separate pieces of news here, I'll respond to them separately:

1. A new Underworld app? And a new Underworld song? :D
Though it may not be on the new album, this is great news. Since it's being written for a drum-synthesizing app, I'd assume it's a pretty high-energy song, which is also great. A lot of their newer songs are very moody and it's been a while since they've made a really good, pounding club track. I wonder if it'll be another Loads of Birds (in treatment, not style) and get released as a bonus track on UW6?

2. 0_0...
W-o-w.
I have never been so happy that California time is 3 hours earlier than EST. I'll be returning from a camping trip on the 7th and it's a 13-hour car ride home, so it'd be hard to view it any time sooner that 11 P.M. Plus, it'll be like a late movie night for all the East Coast fans. I promise that, if the circumstances work out, I'll be recording the audio for the concert, so if they drop any mind-blowing new stuff and decide we can't download it for ourselves then at least we'll have audio (I'm not promising, however, that it won't be without skips. Wiretap is a sometimes unnervingly accurate recorder, and any delays in receiving the broadcast will be accounted for on the recording).
If any of you west-coast Dirts are lucky enough to be near the cameras, give the rest of us a shout-out. We'll be listening.

dubman 07-16-2009 02:04 PM

holy shit.

4 gigs with no record of it to speak of and now i'm getting audio + video recordings when i get home from this one.

excitement has been all under the skin for me till now. mind is racing with what could be.

Dirty0900 07-16-2009 02:16 PM

If it's a drum based song that's coming out via this app, I'll be the first person to guess that it's going to be "You Do Scribble."

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 112959)

If they ever got processed, I'll happily send money over for a copy!

darktrain 07-16-2009 02:55 PM

"release of the full underworld back catalogue for the first time on iTunes"

Really hoping the FULL part of that quote is accurate.

holden 07-16-2009 04:43 PM

Great stuff to look forward to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by darktrain (Post 112964)

Yeah, i'm guessing the "Stand Up!" single isn't included. Would be nice if some rarer singles/EPs made it to iTunes. "Dogman Go Woof" and "The Hump" would be spiffy to have in a decent form...

stimpee 07-17-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darktrain (Post 112964)

Me too.

Stuff like the:
Skyscraper remixes
The Hump
Lemon Interupt stuff - Eclipse/Minniapolis
Why Why Why (extended) from Pink Rez
Juanita edit
Dirty Epic Jed The Fish
Jumbo Extended from 1992-2002 promos
Tin There extended from wipeout?

and stuff like that...

I doubt all the remixes that UW have done for others will be available...

sanakan 07-17-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub (Post 112952)
...the application allows the user to remix, re-sequence and reconstruct 12 Underworld tunes ..

pffff,
they totally ripped this off of phaseblue :D

big screen satellite 07-17-2009 01:39 AM

erm i hope this work with Apple includes the commissioning of tomato to design a limited edition Underworld iphone - like the U2 ipod... but i suspect it won't ;)

jose m 07-17-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 112970)
Me too.

Stuff like the:
Skyscraper remixes
The Hump
Lemon Interupt stuff - Eclipse/Minniapolis
Why Why Why (extended) from Pink Rez
Juanita edit
Dirty Epic Jed The Fish
Jumbo Extended from 1992-2002 promos

and stuff like that...

I doubt all the remixes that UW have done for others will be available...

i think it will just be the albums folks.

big screen satellite 07-17-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 112959)

So, new album not until next year?

yes, i can confirm this from a very reliable source that the album is due in 2010... which is what they are working on in the studio... its got some proper 'song' written tunes on it apparently... :)

its the best yet - probably ;)

big screen satellite 07-17-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose m (Post 112973)
i think it will just be the albums folks.

lol - fans eh... they want everything (everything) ;)

matttunes has all those tracks... i charge £0.79p a second though :D

TheBang 07-17-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 112970)

Explain, please? I looked into this a little bit. To me, it looks like the EP version is longest at 8:10. The Wipeout 2097 soundtrack version is 5:00. Or maybe 6:09 here.

big screen satellite 07-17-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 112977)
Explain, please? I looked into this a little bit. To me, it looks like the EP version is longest at 8:10. The Wipeout 2097 soundtrack version is 5:00. Or maybe 6:09 here.

There are three versions -
one at 8:10 (the original)
one from the wipeout soundtrack (CD rom mix) at 6:09 and
one from the wipeout 2097 soundtrack at 5:00

basically edits of the longest one...

stimpee 07-17-2009 04:44 AM

Yeah but doesnt the 8:10 version have a really long ambient fadeout? maybe im imagining things that theres a banging version somewhere... tin there rocks.

Jan 07-17-2009 08:28 AM

The mixing is quite different on the Wipeout version compared to the version on the Pearls Girl EP.

darktrain 07-17-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 112967)
Yeah, i'm guessing the "Stand Up!" single isn't included.

Bollocks! I still want a quality digital version of the Ya House mix.

dubman 07-17-2009 11:14 AM

this is confusing because IIRC, even though hardly anything is available now, used to be recently that all the albums already were up there, with even a few singles to boot.

i'm gonna stick with "FULL back catalog" optimism

jose m 07-18-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 113007)
this is confusing because IIRC, even though hardly anything is available now, used to be recently that all the albums already were up there, with even a few singles to boot.

:):):):)

stimpee 07-18-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubman (Post 113007)

i admire your optimism. i dont think full back catalogue should mean albums only. it should mean singles too. at least all regular releases. thats false advertising...

khouri 07-18-2009 10:38 AM

This seems like a great opportunity to sell all those rare tracks that are so hard to find, at least on CD. Not to mention the Live Here Now recordings for those who were unable to collect them all. I don't see why UW would not avail themselves of iTunes' full potential, seems like it'd be printing money for them.

stimpee 07-19-2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnymetropolis (Post 113037)
This seems like a great opportunity to sell all those rare tracks that are so hard to find, at least on CD. Not to mention the Live Here Now recordings for those who were unable to collect them all. I don't see why UW would not avail themselves of iTunes' full potential, seems like it'd be printing money for them.

Well, Apple do take a share of the profits, and there are maybe rights issues here. I'm not sure who else would be taking a share, be that JBO or V2 or whatever. Selling on Underworldlive.com is a better option of course for money going directly to the artist but whatever, I'm am sure that its not as simple as it seems.

Caprice 07-19-2009 07:42 AM

where do i get this app?
i have an ipod touch and assume it will work the same.

bas_I_am 07-19-2009 10:47 AM

I say fuck apple/itunes

digital quality sucks
download performance sucks
itunes is a piece of crap
itunes store is poorly designed

amazon blows them away on all accounts

I can download a 60 minute 320kbps Mp3 album from amazon in 3 minutes

same album from itunes takes 20 min (gets hung up on processing after download is completed) and its only 256kbps and in a non ubiquitous format !

holden 07-19-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas_I_am (Post 113060)
I say fuck apple/itunes

digital quality sucks

same album from itunes takes 20 min (gets hung up on processing after download is completed) and its only 256kbps and in a non ubiquitous format !

Ha! I, too, have bad vibes for Apple, because although they make a decent product and have the market cornered, are just a little too snobbish about it for my tastes. But anyway, i don't DL mp3s much, but when i do, i'll take what i can get. It's still very disposable in my mind. So if Amazon or iTunes or UWlive is the route to get the tune, great. Fine to hear, but i still like something more permanent. CDs maybe a dying breed, but are those rare early 90's EPs and singles really gonna get re-released in whatever the next format is (if there is something new and physical?).
Sorry, rant over. Bring on the goods via iTunes!

industri_studios 07-20-2009 06:12 AM

I'm skeptical a new physical format is coming... though I could (eventually) see things like "complete discography" Blue Ray discs or something... in lossless format or whatever... but I do think we who appreciate a physical thing are the dying breed here.

However, many things will still be pressed on vinyl for the imminent future, I think, since it's almost entirely a niche market already... so, yay for that! [smirk]

Flywaver 07-27-2009 12:47 AM

Maybe this application will have a better back catalogue for Underworld anyway...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8169971.stm ;)

stimpee 07-27-2009 02:45 AM

More PR:

http://www.gradientmagazine.com/2009...our-announced/
http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/10...phone-app.html

nothing has been announced on uwlive. and no further details. nice pic of the balloons there tho.

King of Snake 07-27-2009 03:19 AM

I would almost buy and iPhone for this... :)
Well hopefully it will somehow be possible to export the audio source files from the application so as to make them available for fan-remix usage in proper audio production software.

testudo 07-27-2009 06:50 AM

I hope Diamond Jigsaw is the special track for the app! I will be so happy if it is!

Champiness 07-27-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 113388)
nothing has been announced on uwlive. and no further details.

I beg to differ.
It may just be a short comment and some Oblivion Ball footage of Dark Train, but it's something.

stimpee 07-27-2009 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I see. Not very well advertised!

negative1 07-27-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas_I_am (Post 113060)
I say **** apple/itunes

digital quality sucks

i have to agree with you..
maybe it's because i use pc's (or so i've been told)

i had an ipod touch for about 1 week, and gave it away.
(seriously)...i just could not use it, without a keyboard,
i was hindered greatly..

but iTunes kept crashing, deleting my playlists several times,
and just generally being sluggish (on a core 2 duo 1.33 Ghz pc)..

seriously, if they can't get it to work smoothly by now, what's
the point? i managed to find some 3rd party apps to finally
get the tracks moved and working..

but overall, it was too little too late, and i went back to my
palm TX for all my music/video/games etc...

later

stimpee 07-28-2009 02:33 AM

Depsite its bad points, its the market leader and Underworld need to have their music on iTunes. iTunes as an app is different from iTunes as a store. Now theyre offering DRM free mp3s its not too bad. Its not my cup of tea as I still prefer physical product but thats just me, so I cant comment on the prices / quality / speed vs that at Amazon.

stauff 07-28-2009 02:53 AM

Good thing I just bought an iPhone. Not sure the wife sees the value yet :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpee (Post 113454)
Depsite its bad points, its the market leader and Underworld need to have their music on iTunes. iTunes as an app is different from iTunes as a store. ...

Even as a mac user I think the iTunes app is a bit crap, and it's even worse on Windows :(

As for the store, yeah, it'd be crazy for them not to be part of it.
crazy crazy crazy crazy...

Geo 07-28-2009 11:41 PM

Karl talks about the app in this interview :)

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...de-underworld/

plus a "major tour next year" :D