Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Okay already...now enough with the solo shit...get it together! (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17905)

potatobroth 04-03-2014 11:48 AM

Re: Okay already...now enough with the solo shit...get it together!

and a little gear in the back of my brain just clicked and started an imaginary countdown

ultradave 04-04-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 156446)
karl mentioned new UW writing in yesterdays diary

when I read Karl's post it brought some joy to my day as well.... "and I'm imagining..."

jetpig 04-04-2014 04:54 PM

What do y'all reckon? Announcement by end of year and album early next? Maybe some live shows to work some of the new material out? In the States? With 3 hour sets structured like the Experimental Sound Field with Karl's band mates and Eno? </pipe dream>

holden 04-06-2014 09:56 AM

Just my thoughts and preferences, not tied to any announcement:

"Barking" was probably UW's most populist album of the mkii/iii era, and though many of the collaborative productions are excellent, it doesn't always seem a "true"Underworld album for me. Then there are tracks like "Downpipe" that they played all the time live - how much of the production was UW and how much Knight and Ramirez? Add to that the structured setlist for live shows, and it all seemed a bit boring - certainly not the excitement of previous tours' evolving jams, or even the experimental/ambient album tracks.

Since then, the collaborations have continued - Danny Boyle, Brian Eno, Leo Abrahams, tech. folks at VW.

My hope is that Rick and Karl get together and do what they do best, just the two of them. At this point in their career, they can really do whatever they want, and who knows, it may be so different that it changes the face of electronic music, or signals a rebirth in their career. Not that either is needed....we just want new tunes!

p.s. some US shows would be great, too :)

hypeless 04-07-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 156452)
Just my thoughts and preferences, not tied to any announcement:

My hope is that Rick and Karl get together and do what they do best, just the two of them. At this point in their career, they can really do whatever they want, and who knows, it may be so different that it changes the face of electronic music, or signals a rebirth in their career. Not that either is needed....we just want new tunes!

p.s. some US shows would be great, too :)

Amen to that!

I will say, I adored the production for the Olympics. But here's hoping for a return back to basics.

potatobroth 04-08-2014 06:06 AM

I've got all their main releases and side releases, the Olympics, etc - but I find the only UW I listen lately (and over the past say 6 months) is stuff from the 90s: Live sets from the 90s, Dubno, Dubno's demo tape, and STiTI.

The side projects get so little playtime - almost none really.

ultradave 04-10-2014 01:48 PM

my glass is raised for some new non-collaborative material. as of late i keep going back to STITI. still my fave UW LP as a whole. i'm very annoyed right now since Spotify removed it along with Dubno, BF and AHDO...!!! :(

i do take great comfort in the Riverrun releases as well, especially I'm a Big Sister... mmm Peach Tree... :rolleyes:

TheBang 06-04-2014 01:45 AM

Per Karl's Facebook posts today, UW is in the studio today, writing with Fred Gibson (from Eno • Hyde). They are also rehearsing (presumably for the upcoming live date).

holden 06-06-2014 04:53 PM

This is good news, indeed! Wouldn't it be nice if we were treated to some new tunes in progress, a la "you do scribble", " globe/holding the moth", "strumpet" etc.?
Or, failing that, a new setlist with some forgotten classics?

TheBang 06-06-2014 05:55 PM

That would be nice. I guess we'll find out next week. I know a couple Dirts will be there.