Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   M83 (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3807)

Leon 06-20-2006 02:49 AM

Re: M83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty0900
I heard Run In To Flowers one night on MTV2 and fell in love with the track, though it took months for me to find out anything about them. I htink it was Animal Boy Thing on here who gave me some info about albums etc. Me likes them a lot, very underrated IMO.

Funny, Run Into Flowers is the only track I have by them too. I downloaded the whole album (can't remember which one it was), but it didn't grab me, just not my thing. But Run Into Flowers is nice.

sloff 06-20-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
Car Chase Terror (or whatever it's called) is one of the most irritating tracks I've ever heard. Seriously, I want to hurt someone when I hear it.

I love that track, but I also agree that it has to be followed by "Slight Night Shiver" to take the edge off. I play them on my radio show, but always as a pair.

Anyhow, I was floored when I heard "Dead Cities..." and loved "Before the Dawn..." as well. I hadn't heard anyone put together electronic composition and guitar so well in a long time.
I was even more impressed seeing the live performance. Wish I lived someplace where I could have easily gone to another show on the tour.

Jafs 06-20-2006 02:53 PM

I've bought recently "Dead Cities, lost..." and I'm very deceived, but I need a few listens more to have a better advice.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 06-20-2006 03:34 PM

The clearest difference from M83's first two long plays is there were two minds at the controls. What makes Before the Dawn Heals Us stellar (hey?), is A. Gonzalez was more than less the sole mind behind the beautiful madness that it is.

BTW, his work on remixes has never let me down and the B-sides of his own work are required listening.

m83's remixes are usually heavy on the ambient, so if you don't care for beatless sounds then avoid.
My favorites: Bloc Party - Pioneers - Silent Alarm M83 remix
Depeche Mode - Suffer Well M83 remix
Goldfrapp - Black Cherry M83 remix

Also, melancholy to the extreme, with a glimpse of hope . . .

sloff 06-21-2006 08:41 AM

I raved about the remix for DM's Suffer Well on a Depeche Mode thread already, but haven't heard any other remixes. What else has he done that I should be looking for? any favorites?

bxsci 06-24-2006 12:28 PM

M83's music is like cotton candy...too much of it will make you sick.

:cool:

victoria 06-25-2006 08:34 PM

I had a chance to see M83 live last year in San Francisco. I was amazed. The music was loud and everyone around me was hypnotized by the sheer power of the live band. It's quite a different sound live, if you ask me.

However, it was clear that [COLOR=Black]Anthony Gonzalez was having mix problems because he kept screaming at the guy standing at the mix board. He left the stage without saying a word and never returned. It was a real shame. Many of us stood around hoping for an encore, and there wasn't one.

I love both albums, although I do agree that Car Chase Terror is quite a freaky song without its follow us Slight Night Shiver.. in fact I'm banned from playing it around my 4 year old. It gives her nightmares! :rolleyes:
[/COLOR]

DeJackyl 06-26-2006 11:51 PM

We had a great show in T.O. for that tour, but I'd have to say while I do enjoy this band like drinking your roomates beer, it takes repeat listens to apprecate the albums.

I would say that they're one of the few bands/persons to excite me about music.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ 06-27-2006 08:08 PM

Hallelujah!

Forgive me, it's finals week, and my mind is about to blow from geology studies.

But I could not agree more senor DeJackyl, there's always Radiohead(living fucking legends!) tambien. I have a Spanish final as well. This will be another test to see how many brain cells you can kill over the past week and still not damage one's GPA.

beh 06-28-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoria
I had a chance to see M83 live last year in San Francisco. I was amazed. The music was loud and everyone around me was hypnotized by the sheer power of the live band. It's quite a different sound live, if you ask me. [COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR]

At Bimbo's? I was there. good show but I saw them two days later in one of the tents in the afternoon at Coachella and had a far greater time. it was weird how different the two experiences were.

bh