PDA

View Full Version : 2009-08-11 Underworld @ Koolhaus in Toronto (Tues)

ndrwrld
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/100042A4DA86A155?artistid=1322154&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=201

?
can someone confirm this before my heart explodes !

bas_I_am
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't think it gets any more solid than that. lucky you seeing them at a venue and not a festival.

here's hoping/wishing/praying for 930.com

gaborez
05-05-2009, 05:49 AM
looking good ndrwrld - i know how much that gig's gonna mean to you :)

BeautifulBurnout
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
w00t! :D

This is good news! Happy for ya!

Dirty0900
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
If my shit memory serves, didn't nrdwrld come over for Roundhouse 3 and sadly see the canceled sign plastered at Chalk Farm station? Not good. If its true, I expect a full on stalkers style gig report!

ndrwrld
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes.
i promise everything but the stalker part.
this makes up for Roundhouse pt 3.
just don't eat our Canadian pork.:p

potatobroth
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes.
i promise everything but the stalker part.
this makes up for Roundhouse pt 3.
just don't eat our Canadian pork.:p

says you!

Awesome ndrwrld, that's truly great news!

BeautifulBurnout
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
If my shit memory serves, didn't nrdwrld come over for Roundhouse 3 and sadly see the canceled sign plastered at Chalk Farm station? Not good. If its true, I expect a full on stalkers style gig report!

I think he and Samrahl deserve back stage passes after going halfway round the world for no gig, personally.

We all know it was beyond the guys' control and not very nice circumstances, but these two fans showed true dedication. :)

ndrwrld
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
i am not impressed.
the Ticketmaster.ca UW listing for this concert was up and running for at least 2 or 3 days...maybe more. ( i posted this event listing as soon as i saw it ).
it has been removed.

I BOOKED MY VACATION FOR THAT WEEK ! ! :mad:

Ticketmaster says once an event is deleted, all info is lost.
( ha, i doubt that ).

any info would be greatly appreciated !

am i cursed ?

Dirty0900
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
i am not impressed.
the Ticketmaster.ca UW listing for this concert was up and running for at least 2 or 3 days...maybe more. ( i posted this event listing as soon as i saw it ).
it has been removed.

I BOOKED MY VACATION FOR THAT WEEK ! ! :mad:

Ticketmaster says once an event is deleted, all info is lost.
( ha, i doubt that ).

any info would be greatly appreciated !

am i cursed ?

Fucking hell mate, that is really shit. I hope it honestly comes back up for you. Not having a pop at UW HQ, but sometimes gig listings and info can be a bit mystical. We only seem to find out about gigs from second hand sources.

potatobroth
05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
holy fuck! you might have THE worst luck with seeing them live! you're entire Underworld existence is one big tease.

If they play a show in NYC, please DO NOT COME. You'll only cause it to be cancelled. Whew, and I thought it was me that was bad luck.

ndrwrld
05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
if i'm guilty of anything, it's being inquisitive.
no news at the venue or the UW sites, but a few days of posting on Ticketmaster.ca, only to be taken down.
i bet if i didn't post anything here or on my Toronto based forum, it would have stayed on longer.

see, it's here too !
http://www.last.fm/event/1054945
( ^ this was NOT made by be ).

ps - i will be seeing UW in New York if a Toronto show is not in the works.

Dirty0900
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Have you rung the venue for info? Never trust the internet, I keep on getting e-mails saying i've won the Euro lottery every week.

oceanic
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
http://rantingraving.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/more-radiohead-gossip/

Have a look at this. Anything to it?

Dirty0900
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
http://rantingraving.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/more-radiohead-gossip/

Have a look at this. Anything to it?

Check the date, was posted in 2008. Was a rumour and nothing more. Though they did appear on the same festival bill in New Jersey.

oceanic
05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Oh geez. I tried to find a date but couldn't.
The exposure of a tour like that would be pretty fabulous, but a lot of me is strangely relieved.
Thanks for the info Dirty0900.

Cranks
05-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that when I looked at ticketmaster for this gig, it said tix would be on sale May 15. So I'm hoping that we're going to get the tour dates listed in the next few days.

I'm trying to plan out a vacation, and I'm waiting to see where UW will be playing. Ready to catch a few shows!

lowbit
05-11-2009, 07:18 AM
When I go to TM it says:
Onsale to General Public
Start: Fri, 05/15/09 10:00 AM EDT
Looks to me like the show is still on.

ndrwrld
05-11-2009, 09:28 AM
GAME ON !
it was on Ticketmaster.ca for a couple days, then somehow removed.
who cares now, it's official.

Official T Dot Dirty meet at my place all day with tunes, bevvies and bbq grub.
special invite to Yannick, Oceanic, Karl, Rick and Darren !

Mr.Grumpy
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
back up on the ticketmaster site - - also with dates added for oakland and las vegas.

samralh
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
holy fuck! you might have THE worst luck with seeing them live! you're entire Underworld existence is one big tease.

If they play a show in NYC, please DO NOT COME. You'll only cause it to be cancelled. Whew, and I thought it was me that was bad luck.

Looks like you might have to come to Toronto for the show!!

dcolct
05-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Karl and Rick, can't you please come to Calgary too? Toronto is so far and expensive to travel to!

spacejunk
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
With all this love in Montreal/Toronto, can we get any love in Chicago? :D

ndrwrld
05-26-2009, 08:29 PM
http://artwork.ink-00.com/guvernment/underworld.jpg

TheBang
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Ooh, it's the new artwork from:

http://www.underworldlive.com/shop

I wonder whose art it is. John's?

ndrwrld
05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
ok, screw it.
dunno if this will be read by the boys, but it can't hurt.

Peach Tree...i think it's one of your most beautiful songs ever...never heard it live.

Kittens...only had the pleasure of hearing it on cd...meowwwwwwwwww.

all of the above will most likely make my head explode like the dood in Scanners...but that's the price i'm willing to pay.

ndrwrld
05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
ps - bring the inflatables.

oceanic
05-31-2009, 10:37 AM
that's definitely a desktop image for me! thanks ndrwrld.

negative1
06-07-2009, 03:33 PM
hmm...

oh, wow...wonder if i can make it to this show!!!

we'll see..

later

ndrwrld
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM
you know you wanna...PM me if you're for sure.
having an all day backyard deck party before the show.
i live a mere 10 minute drive from the show.

ps - all dirts attending this show, PM me.

galama
06-13-2009, 07:54 AM
torontoans are getting their wishes fulfilled

ndrwrld
06-23-2009, 08:25 PM
4,233,600 seconds and counting...:p

ndrwrld
07-01-2009, 12:59 AM
i give up...
dunno how many, but it's too much.
i think this will sell out.
grab em' while you can.

ndrwrld
07-07-2009, 09:23 AM
paging Oceanic...

unfortunately someone who was a huge Underworld fan will sadly not be attending this event.
Martin Streek was an on air dj and club host for 102.1 here in Toronto for 20 years. to us Torontonians, he was kind of like Pete Tong...always introducing you to the new shit ! always telling us about the epic gigs he attended.
i met him 19 years ago as i was just starting my djing in clubs, and he was just as friendly and helpful and informative then as he was just before he took his life yesterday. :mad:
his 20 years of service at the radio station was hashly eliminated due to ' restructuring ' .

He was the biggest NIN and Tool fan there ever was.
and he was so looking forward to Underworld coming here in August.
7 years is a long wait.
he was the first to play Beautiful Burnout ( and many other Underworld songs ) for me on the airwaves when no other dj would play it.

Rest In Peace Martin Streek.
i will dance for you.

TheBang
07-08-2009, 01:19 AM
That is a shame. :(

industri_studios
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd forgotten he was an Underworld fan. Ugh. Sucks.

Heard the news yesterday... it's funny, I listen to the station so little that the couple times I heard the Live-To-Air Sundays recently, I assumed he was on vacation... didn't hear about the termination (he'd never held any other job, joining the station out of high school) until I read it in connection with his suicide.

Bummer.

immobilisme
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I will be at the Toronto show and the Montreal show... it seems like all my vacations have been revolving around Underworld shows.

samralh
07-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Are you coming to Toronto for the show??

patrick
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
hey ndrwld, know if there are any tickets to kool haus left?

ndrwrld
07-19-2009, 09:57 AM
hey ndrwld, know if there are any tickets to kool haus left?
all signs point to yes.
Rotate This also shows they have tickets as well.

negative1
07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
hmm...

oh, wow...wonder if i can make it to this show!!!

we'll see..

later

darnit !!!

i'm still getting KILLED by work !!!!

i'm still thinking about it.... oh it would
be nice... but i'll have to figure out a
way to get that day off, drive up the
night before, and get back to connecticut !!!!

can it be done?????

later

ndrwrld
07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
it can be done.
it must be done.

emotionmachine
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm finally gonna see them live. kick ass!

are there any TO meets ups happening? I'm attending by myself since i broke up with my GF last month, and going to concerts alone really blows.

Hybralisk
07-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Salutations! I'm trying to figure out the best plan for attending this show, I've never been to Toronto before and would welcome any tips. I'd be coming up from Western New York early the day of the show, and I'm trying to find the best place to stay after it's over. I am considering staying the day after to see the zoo or something but I'm not sure yet. xD

The thing is I've only seen my favorite band once. That was in Central Park a couple years back almost now. I didn't put a plan into action before or do any research to see how long the show would be before I took the drive with my girlfriend at the time. I don't want to make the same mistake because that night I had to leave early and only heard 4 songs!

How late would this show be? Is there a safe/legal place to find to park my vehicle after the show and just sleep there? How about a cheap close hotel? Should I just drive back home after the show if I'm not too tired? ( about 2 and 1/2 to three hours I believe) Suggestions would be helpful! Thanks for your time. :)

ndrwrld
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
the show at the Kool Haus should end around midnight.
parking your car nearby and sleeping in it is not recommended.
worth calling this place...it's on King Street right beside Bathurst Street.
https://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/check_avail?entry_source=&checkInDate=08%2F11&checkOutDate=08%2F12&numberRooms=1&numberAdults=1&numberBigChildren=0&numberChildren=0&useWRPoints=false&rate=000&__rate=SRB&promotionCode=&corporateCode=&cid=&affilid=&partnerid=&referUrl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.travelodgetorontod owntown.com%252Frates.html&srcUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.travelodge.com%3A443%2FTr avelodge%2Fcontrol%2FBooking%2Fmodify_dates%2F&iataNumber=&id=14040&propBrandId=TL&tab=tab2&resetCheckAvailMod=true

if you stay there, you gotta try the Wheat Sheafs wings ( right across the road ).

negative1
07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
it can be done.
it must be done.

oh man,

i think i'm going to do it!!!!!

i'm going to take a vacation day *AHEM*..

rent a car the night before,
drive for 9 hours straight.....

hang out... go to the show,

drive 9 hours straight back to home,
and then go to work as soon as i get back!!!

that's the plan!!

once i have things confirmed, i'll post here..

i'm not going to stay in hiding by myself this time..

i want to meet everyone i can, and just enjoy it!!

how many times does this chance happen !!!!!!!!!

i can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

later

negative1
07-27-2009, 01:38 PM
urghh..

always complications,

looks like this one might come down to
wire.. (booking car/tickets on the actual day!)..

maybe i'll have to go the montreal show !!!*@#*$

still working on it..

later

prefekt
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
In 2002 I was living in Vancouver and getting ready to move to Toronto in November. A few months beforehand I found out that there was an Underworld concert happening in October. Although I had no place to live and only a few contacts, I strongly considered moving out 3 weeks before my scheduled date just so I would be able to see the show.

As time wore on it became clear that as badly as I wanted to see them, it just wasn't a good idea.

Seven years went by, and with each one I became more and more concerned that I had missed that one opportunity. Now I've been living here for over six and a half years, I have some of the greatest friends, and I'm finally getting the chance to relive what I thought was a sadly missed opportunity.

I will be there and it will be a religious experience.
Good god, am I excited.

ndrwrld
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
great story.
feel free to PM me if you've got time available to hang out at my place the day of the show.

negative1
07-28-2009, 05:09 AM
(wow #2)

hmmmm............

guess what?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

life is too short !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

==============================================
Your Order Is Complete

Thanks for using Ticketmaster. Your order number is

QtyEvent/ItemVenue:Delivery1Underworld
Tue, Aug 11, 2009 08:30 PM

Kool Haus

Toronto, ON
==============================================

THATS RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be seeing you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

later

negative1
07-28-2009, 05:13 AM
great story.
feel free to PM me if you've got time available to hang out at my place the day of the show.

SCARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 666 posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

later

negative1
07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
alright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

just got confirmation from work.

i'm free to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
free to go, free to go...

now, have to work out the travel arrangements,
and also where to hangout, in between toronto/montreal..

could be a (dirty) epic trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be seeing you,
+/- 1

prefekt
07-29-2009, 05:55 PM
great story.

Thanks!

I'm amazed at just how many people are coming out for this show. People from all walks of life.

It's nice to see that there's such a unified following.
I look forward to seeing you all.

ndrwrld
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM
i'm trying to figure out how many peeps i'll be expecting to my place during the day of the 11th...bbq shall be had by all...just byob ( liquor and beer store less than 5 minute drive from my house ).
PM me if you're kinda sorta sure you'll be attending, and i'll respond with my address, phone #, and a map.

to the people i've already spoken to before...please PM again.
thanks.

phyrstartr
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm sad that I'll be in Vegas that week cuz this sounds like it's going to be one hell of a party :(
I guess I'll just have to get my fill the weekend before when I'm in San Fran....
Hope you guys have a blast!

laerm
08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
so i'm going to be there, if anybody remembers me from the old-timey days of rtsr and the really old-timey days of dirty.

yannick, yes, you'll be there?
-1, yes, you'll be there?

anyone i am missing?

would be great to finally put some names + faces together after all we've been through. ;) is there any kind of meet planned?

ciao, gang -
micah

prefekt
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
is there any protocol with regards to selling an extra pair of tickets (with absolutely zero markup) on this forum? We bought an extra pair for friends who now can't make it into town.

It's a shame, but so would be letting their tickets go to waste.

EDIT // Now they're coming. Nevermind all that.

ndrwrld
08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
laerm...PM me and i'll send you my address and contact info for the dirty meet quite close to the venue.

prefekt
08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
As of right now, The Weather Network is saying that the 8th - 10th are going to be rainy, and the 12th is as well.

The 11th? Nice and sunny.
Even better now that I live within walking distance of the koolhaus (i so rarely ever say that).

ndrwrld
08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
the music gods must like Underworld.;)
i know Toronto does !
soooooooo excited i be.

kesare
08-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I just moved up here from the states and am trying hard to get to this show! last time i saw underworld was at the Hollywood Bowl back in 07 and have been FIENDING for another fix. Tix are still up on ticketmaster and really hoping i can get down into toronto for it. Though it being on a tuesday is REALLY brutal. Never been to koolhaus before, any info on it would be appreciated. is it in a good neighborhood? any precautions i should take?

THANKS everyone and so hoping to rock out with you there!

ndrwrld
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
bring $15 or $20 for parking directly across the venue on the south side of Queens Quay.
Kevlar will not be needed at this event.
Underworld people are peaceful.
bring comfy shoes.

Dipson
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Watching the Oakland stream now, can't wait to see them on Tuesday!
First UW show for me, good times will be had, no doubt :cool:

prefekt
08-08-2009, 07:33 PM
augh, in the neverending saga that is 'this extra pair of tickets', my friends now can't make it. I bought them when they were $30/each, so all i want to do is recoup my costs. Face value, nothing more. The bonus here is that if anyone hasn't bought tickets yet and they would like these, they'd be paying less than if they were to get them from t/m or the gate.

I hope this doesn't violate any of the TOU, although i couldn't find a spot that would indicate that it did.

PM me if you want them. I know it's not sold out, but as a returning student, it would be nice to be able to not come out of this taking a big loss.

Dirty Canuck
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Longtime no write. As the boys entertained us with a full-length "Cups" in '99 and "Dirty Epic" in '02 (both rarities in their setlists), my guts telling me that the Toronto show is going to be something special.
See you all there.

ndrwrld
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
^ ditto.

emotionmachine
08-10-2009, 06:17 AM
hey gang. Coupla questions...

I'm coming to the dirty meet before the show, but I'm taking GO Transit since I don't drive so I'm wondering two things:

1) if there is going to be any free space in a vehicle to get to the show from the meetup.

2) if there is anyone from the Hammer going to the meetup/show that I could hitch a ride back to town with, then I wont have to rush off in a hurry after the show to make the 12:30 am bus (or perhaps before the show is finished as when I saw Erasure there in 1998)

No big if there isn't, I'm prepared to cab it around if I have to, but if there's anyone who meets either of these criteria and doesn't mind helping out a fellow fan, just PM me, I'd appreciate it a lot. I'd pitch in for gas, or booze whichever is preferred. ;)

Thanks guys. I'm so psyched for the show. this is a moment i've been waiting for for a long time.

prefekt
08-10-2009, 07:13 AM
It's starting to get pretty surreal, the fact that it's tomorrow.
I mean you wait for christmas, or summer, or your birthday, but those happen once a year.
Hell, you might even wait for the world cup if you were so inclined... but that's once every four years.
I've been waiting for almost seven years for tomorrow to happen and i can't possibly imagine being any more excited, although i know that 30 hours from now i will somehow manage to pull it off.

emotionmachine
08-10-2009, 07:48 AM
agreed prefekt. I've been holding off watching the live stream from the other day because I kind of want to be surprised at what I'm going to see... but i RREALLLYY wanted to watch it. I was unable to see it live as my computer died completely the day before the scheduled broadcast, so that kind of ended that debate right there. heh.

Da Punisher
08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Sounds cool, I'll send a PM.

ndrwrld
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
i've returned all PM's from people who are interested in coming to my place for the dirtiest of meets.
i dunno how much i'll be online the day of the gig as much needs to be done to prep my place for the onslaught.
if you NEED to get ahold of me, my home tele is 416 546 8276.
call and ask for Chris or Sandra for any info you may need.

other than that, DOOT DOOT !

ndrwrld
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
holey, the sky gods really are on our side for Tuesday...
seems a Perseid meteor shower is to peak on Aug 11th and 12th.
wouldn't that be cool...exiting the Kool Haus after the UW gig to see comets flying overhead !

take the red pill !

emotionmachine
08-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Today! TODAY! IT'S TODAY!!!

not that i'm overly excited... LOL

negative1
08-11-2009, 04:30 AM
Today! TODAY! IT'S TODAY!!!

not that i'm overly excited... LOL
what's happening today?

OH YEAH,RIGHT I KNOW!!!!!!!!!

at last..

be seeing you
+1

prefekt
08-11-2009, 05:07 AM
I'll be the guy having a religious experience.

So that narrows it down to about 3000 people.
It happens, and it happens today.

emotionmachine
08-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Very difficult to concentrate on work today. Taking a half day and leaving at 2 pm to make the meetup, but the day is dragging like sh!t moving uphill in January. I'm hungry but don't wanna eat coz im too excited heh.

industri_studios
08-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Was hoping to hold out on listening to the Oakland gig until I saw the band - but here I am, giving in, and listening to it. This setlist is great - a little less experimental than I might choose, but certainly a decent (predictable or not) mix of stuff. w00t! Excited!

ubercool
08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Shoot, I wish I was up in Toronto today! :)

SappysCurry
08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, have fun Toronto! Setlists and reactions post-haste please!

ndrwrld
08-11-2009, 10:55 AM
officially raining quite a bit here...may have to move everything inside...eek.
Karl, please say one of your anti rain poems for us.

potatobroth
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
enjoy tonight's show, ndrwrld and samrahl! you two earned it!

ndrwrld
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
we'll take what we can get at this point.
Yannick and guest just crossed to border into Canada, and ETA is 3 hours.
is this guy every on time ?

prefekt
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Karl's jacket was amazing...

wow.
(the show was pretty stellar, too)

SappysCurry
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Karl's jacket was amazing...

wow.
(the show was pretty stellar, too)

THAT'S all ya got??!?
Come on people....we need info!

Mr.Grumpy
08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
great eff-ing show!

hoping someone will post a set-list here because i will totally screw it up. opened with darc, then juanita and er, ended with moaner. someone please fill in the bit in the middle.

crowd was really into it and had a great vibe. i don't go to a lot of shows these days and i'm not a big fan of the culture of everyone holding up their phones and cameras and filming everything - - but oh well, there should be no shortage of photos and video around for those who missed it!

on to montreal tomorrow!

Mr.Grumpy
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
on another note, i was really hoping to pick up a shirt but there was NOTHING for sale at all. anyone know why?

immobilisme
08-11-2009, 11:27 PM
darc
juanita
rez/cowgirl
beautiful burnout
you do scribble
between stars?
nu train
nuxx
king of snake with awesome guitar noodling
two months off
moaner

i think that was all, i apologize if i missed something or if i am out of order

fourth underworld show for me and by far the darkest / best!

off to montreal :)

smack416
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Epic show. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

Some completely ridiculous and some completely wonderful pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qasimvirjee/sets/72157621892448761/

The first track set the tone for a brilliant evening. One of my favourites and one I'm not sure they play that often. Lots of guitar.

The only let down: No Jumbo.

'til next time...

immobilisme
08-12-2009, 12:05 AM
also, it was nice to meet some toronto folks! many thanks to ndrwrld for setting up the meet!

TheBang
08-12-2009, 12:51 AM
That setlist looks a little short for a 2 hour show

industri_studios
08-12-2009, 03:00 AM
A little under 2 hours.

Only major complaint? The crowd got a little rude by the end... a little too rammy for my tastes... but up until then, a great (and expectedly) positive vibe...

DeJackyl
08-12-2009, 05:57 AM
The tour for AHDO hit Toronto, so it's been about 6 years since they've been here, not 10.

Anyway, show number six done, I've seen them at Glastonbury, in Paris and this venue three times, and have to say I turned to my girl two songs three songs in and said 'They could leave the stage right now and I'd still be elated'.

Stunning show - and great crowd, which is a rare in Toronto, the boys seemed to really be appreciative.

No Pearls Girl, Rowla and far too short, but those are the breaks

emotionmachine
08-12-2009, 07:07 AM
The show did seem a bit short but then it could have been an all night show and it wouldn't have been enough for me.

I tried to get near the front pretty early in the show, but didn't get too far. I spotted this big guy saying excuse me so I discreetly inserted myself into his wake and followed him as he weaved his way through. Everyone was shoulder to shoulder though when i got there and there was no room to dance, which is what I ended up wanting to do the most, so I bailed and went back to the back.

Moaner as an encore was sick. I drank and danced my ass off, but I'm not a young dude anymore, so I'm nursing a hangover to be proud of today at work. It was worth it. I didn't get the opportunity to find a way to hand off my album promo to anyone who might be able to get it to UW though, so that's is the only regret I have about last night.

Thanks ndrwrld for the sweet meetup, and M for driving me back to the hammer. Everyone was cool and had a great time.

DoctorRad
08-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Gah, why do I always miss the unusual shows...? I always seem to get the greatest hits and not much else. Anyway, great vibe apart from some over-exuberance, but great to see such an enthusiastic audience.

For the total trainspotters, the intro before the band took to the stage I've only ever heard elsewhere as the intro to Two Months Off on the Peel Session.

Dr. Matt...

Mike
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
http://uwlive.rowla.com/gigs/view/378

I updated the setlist here, i agree with Dr Matt - shame it is very 'run off the mill'...

Even 'Between Stars', which has had a lot of great support is starting to become expected now. Come on guys, drop Moaner, TMO, Snake and Burnout ;)

Im also really keen to hear some more of the transitions between tracks, it seems that there have been a few more 'blends' recently, sounding alot better.

As some of you know, my critisism has been that since around 2005 the sets have been very stop / start, but even with the addition of darren price to help bridge the tracks together, at best it just sounds like a dj mixing over the top...

I really miss the groove of the old shows, hearing real elements being mixed and blended from one desk - why cant underworld do this anymore?

ndrwrld
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
thank you Underworld ! !
big ups to the dirts who came to my place before the gig.
especially Oceanic, really nice seeing you finally again.

SappysCurry
08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Come on guys, drop Moaner, TMO, Snake and Burnout

YES. Absolutely. Love them all....but I never need to hear any of them live again. Especially Snake.

emotionmachine
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
personally i would have been upset if they didn't play Moaner, and I loved TMO. But then I hadn't ever seen them live before so it was all new to me hehe.

samralh
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
No problem immobilisme and emotionmachine for coming out. It was nice to finally meet Oceanic as well. Too bad the weather didn't hold up for a nice outdoor BBQ. And, by the looks of it, Karl was out and about at Queen and Spadina (as per his Toronto cryptic post). Running into him would have been a trip!

The show was incredible. What else can be said....

immobilisme
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
i don't want to sound confrontational or defensive but...

1. this is was my third show since they started playing beautiful burnout and it was the first time i got to see it, so they really don't play it every time

2. king of snake this time was definitely different... no "fire in the hand between us" and with some good live guitar from Karl. it was nice to see a different version.

3. sure, moaner has become a regular. you probably have a point there... but most people in the crowd seem to love it.

4. they gotta play SOMETHING off of "A Hundred Days Off" ;)

geoff
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow ... Darc followed by Jaunita ... awesome. Just like Atlanta last year.

Did Juanita include "To Dream of Love"?

immobilisme
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
yessssssss

DaddyAdv
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
lots of pictures of flickr, I like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tuned/3814383449/sizes/l/

jrmint
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
if it hasen't been posted before:
http://www.exclaim.ca/musicreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid2=33&fid1=40447&csid1=136

Mr.Grumpy
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
great review! but rez the highlight of the night?!?! - - that was just the warm up! my bet is the reviewer had an early night.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Mr. Grumpy, leave us old people alone.

Mr.Grumpy
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
are you kidding? i'm pushing 40 myself! saw UW for the first time in '88!

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
08-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Damn, you're fucking old.

j/k, I'm just a few years behind you. uh-oh, that sounds bad. Not like that.

CHEERS! I'm doing whiskey shots, & rest assured I'm not going bonkers tonight.

industri_studios
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm glad I got to see Burnout - hadn't seen it live (as I haven't been able to travel to any shows)... but I agree some of the "classics" could go... I wouldn't miss .nuxx to be honest... but I love Moaner as an encore, and I agree - the version of KoS was cool since it WAS a little different...

DeJackyl
08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm still riding the wave from this show, and really wish I just made the drive to Montreal the next night. It was also the night a long cherished friend became more than that, and well August 11 is going to resonate as a special night for many a year.

I really, really hope this won't be the last time I see them. I've been to a lot of shows, but it never fails in that it takes a show from the boys to remind me of how it's supposed to be done. And as said before, a group that can get a Toronto audience to go that mental, is a class upon their own.

sanakan
08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I updated the setlist here, i agree with Dr Matt - shame it is very 'run off the mill'...

C'mon, there was Darc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iSerToPNg)! And Juanita (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaBK5PdFhqs)! Those are hardly "off the mill"

(and yes, the "publish darc comittee" still's active 8) - itunes releases don't count)

Andrea
08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Beautiful...gentle, I love the guitar :) Unfortunatelly this video ends just when it gets interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iSerToPNg

Dirty0900
08-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I wonder if they'll do anything with Darc if there still playing it.

DaddyAdv
08-14-2009, 10:49 PM
:D

"Please dont nick the setlist"

klingklang
08-15-2009, 01:19 AM
:D

"Please dont nick the setlist"
That was funny. So a "follow-par" is the one who lights and follows Karl? I assume that's a reference to the one that got nicked off the light guy at the Oakland show? It was a photographer in the pit that took that one, by the way (it wasn't one of us nice, polite fans :) ).

Champiness
08-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I wonder if they'll do anything with Darc if there still playing it.

It was released a while ago on the OWB remix album as "Parc".

DoctorRad
08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
As far as I can tell, these days they rarely DON'T play NUXX, Cowgirl/Rez, KoS and TMO. I think the only show I have without Cowgirl/Rez that I can remember is 26 Nov 05 from Osaka. TMO and Cowgirl / Rez would be my favourites from those, but I would happily forego those for some more unusual numbers.

My top request would be Dinosaur Adventure 3D as it rocks, they only played it for one tour, and I don't have a live recording of it which is good quality, complete and on which Karl is singing in tune... and least not that I can remember...!

Dr. Matt...

Dirty0900
08-15-2009, 11:33 AM
It was released a while ago on the OWB remix album as "Parc".

Yer but Loads Of Birds was on the Japanese only version of OWB and Parc is Japanese only as well. Weird its still getting played. A good song that should be avaliable for more people to hear.

iamcitrus
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
wow, great show .. does any body know who the DJ that opened was?

Yannick
08-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Damian Lazarus : http://www.myspace.com/damianlazarus

just catched the last 10 min or so of his set, sounded nice.

nosajmunson
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Yannick - Loved the vid you posted on FB.
Did you actually take that?

DaddyAdv
08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
There is TONS of stuff on youtube, lots of it in HD, and luckily few Nuxx videos

Setlist, bad pic missing Darc on top
http://www.flickr.com/photos/borked/3820738624/sizes/m/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/3820738624_260a5af695.jpg

Mike
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Hang on, was spikee played?

Mr.Grumpy
08-17-2009, 07:58 AM
no, they didn't. maybe they dropped it because of time constraints.

TheBang
08-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Here's a full setlist picture:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8309539&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=21193697848&aid=-1&oid=21193697848&id=607295246

Looks like the show was actually in Toronta. Reminds me of when I saw a show in Oaska (https://www.bangerter.org/todd/underworld/osaka/osakasetlist.jpg).

Mr.Grumpy
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
wow, they didn't play jumbo or push it either, thought they played pearl's girl earlier in the set but maybe i'm mistaken.

TheBang
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
The 3 songs at the bottom are the spares, if they have more time to fill. Obviously, since they cut Spikee, they were already running over time.

CallMePeterBrad
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Beautiful...gentle, I love the guitar :) Unfortunatelly this video ends just when it gets interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iSerToPNg

Ha, Sorry about that but it was the first song and I looked down and noticed that my battery had just gone from 100% to like 75% which freaked me out because I really wanted to record the whole show and next time they come back to Kool Haus I am going to have at least 5 charged batteries and do that. Put out the 2nd Underworld DVD on torrent sites.:)

ndrwrld
04-13-2010, 02:51 PM
my friend was official press for this event, and took these.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/photo.php?pid=2460637&id=513163002&fbid=125212513002 (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#%21/photo.php?pid=2460637&id=513163002&fbid=125212513002)