PDA

View Full Version : Moby's new tune

joethelion
04-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Ok - I am surprised that I'm the first person to mention this... as I'm pretty sure I'm more of a "former fan" of his - and there's definitely at least a couple of people here who are still in the category of "current fan"

but I digress...

how freakingly strange is it that "Shot in the Back of the Head" (the new track) is actually

*wait for it*

a GOOD SONG?!?!?!

seriously. It's not him trying to re-do his old songs (like on "Last Night") 'coldplay it up' as on "Hotel", or make music that sounds overly dry and dead - like on at least half of "18"

when does the new album come out?

It makes me wonder if he's going to do another "Animal Rights" - which, I'm sorry... was actually an incredible album ... once you took away most of those "thrash metal" (or whatever you want to call them) songs

holden
04-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree - "Shot in the back of the head" IS pretty good. I thought last year's "Last Night" was a definite improvement over "18" and "Hotel", but since the success of "Play", Moby's seemingly been trying too hard. I hope his new album truly is an unabashed return to form - just making nice, danceable music with some 4-chord emotion.

Bargo
04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Might be worth mentioning that you can download the song in question from Moby's website (http://www.moby.com/news).

New album is called "wait for me" and is coming out in June.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
04-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Might be worth mentioning that you can download the song in question from Moby's website (http://www.moby.com/news).

New album is called "wait for me" and is coming out in June.

That was a good one.

I'm sorry, but, even though it's dated itself to the early rave days and such, the full release with "Go" and "Drop a Beat" will always be my fav. just from the memories that are brought about when I hear it, when I hear it.

And I've only done the "E"* once, and didn't like it. You get this raging hard-on and f. & f. & f. and f. and f. & yet, nothing ever REALLY happens.

Oh shit, did I say something like that out loud again.

W-E-T-F.

F-ing CYAssing & S.: X = new & improved coo-Koo-l-aid.

Dirty0900
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Really like this, nice trippy ambiance going on.

stimpee
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Take away the reversed sample and its all very The Album Leaf... which isnt a bad thing.

Jafs
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
The video is from David Lynch. Have you seen it ?

Dunwho
04-26-2009, 04:41 PM
yup its on Youtube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EI9caS6Lys)

yes its a bit Album Leaf and no that isnt a bad thing...

..but still has Moby ever really sounded like Moby? Even in the Go days there was a fairly strong element of Fatboy Slim and Radiohead ... and that is why i think that Moby is never consistant.. he doesnt have his own sound..

..i can already hear a few guns being loaded and aimed in my general direction...but this definitely doesnt scream brilliance..

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM

..but still has Moby ever really sounded like Moby? Even in the Go days there was a fairly strong element of Fatboy Slim and Radiohead ... and that is why i think that Moby is never consistant.. he doesnt have his own sound..

..i can already hear a few guns being loaded and aimed in my general direction...but this definitely doesnt scream brilliance..

The Radiohead guys hadn't even been born yet.

holden
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Hmm - i didn't get the Album Leaf vive from this...it's still distinctly Moby in terms of minor chord electronica, but certainly less cookie cutter than what he's been pushing for the last 8-9 years. This could have been on "Animal Rights" or maybe a B-Side for "Everything Is Wrong". I like that he's calling the new album an attempt to make beautiful music free from celebrity guests or concepts.

bryantm3
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM

yeah, i'm going to point out that radiohead and fatboy slim were not around yet during the early days. i think moby had a fairly well defined unique sound until everything is wrong, and then he kind of mirrored the mid nineties dance thing. then, he went to a different sound all his own with 'animal rights' and 'play', and from then on he's made a copy of play (18), two bad versions of 'the story so far' (baby monkey/last night) and possibly the worst cheese rock album heard since emerson lake and palmer turned into emerson lake and rodriguez (hotel).

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't look at me, I had nothing to do with that.

bryantm3
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm - i didn't get the Album Leaf vive from this...it's still distinctly Moby in terms of minor chord electronica, but certainly less cookie cutter than what he's been pushing for the last 8-9 years. This could have been on "Animal Rights" or maybe a B-Side for "Everything Is Wrong". I like that he's calling the new album an attempt to make beautiful music free from celebrity guests or concepts.

news flash: he said this with every single album since 1996.

mmm skyscraper
04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I think it's better in reverse. The reversed sample sounds better going the other way. The drums get messed up, but the strings sound even more like some kind of whale.

Bargo
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
I thought Hotel was pretty awful but the 'ambient' album that it came with (on the 2cd edition) was rather good. I occasionally dig that out and have a listen.

Anyway, liking the new song, looking forward to hearing what the album may end up sounding like.

edit: shit i just confessed to buying the 2cd edition of hotel

Dunwho
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah, i'm going to point out that radiohead and fatboy slim were not around yet during the early days. i think moby had a fairly well defined unique sound until everything is wrong, and then he kind of mirrored the mid nineties dance thing. then, he went to a different sound all his own with 'animal rights' and 'play', and from then on he's made a copy of play (18), two bad versions of 'the story so far' (baby monkey/last night) and possibly the worst cheese rock album heard since emerson lake and palmer turned into emerson lake and rodriguez (hotel).

Oh jiggidy...when i said Go i meant Play...i think... i always stat thinking of REM's Up aswell.... i think these directional albums are messing with my mind!

joethelion
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
about the Fatboy Slim / Radiohead comment ... you do realize that he pre-dates either of them by several years, right?

maybe doing "Last Night" was a good thing - like, even though it was pretty much just "old moby again" it kind of put his mind on reset and now it's like he's back at the "early-mid-period" ('93-'97) of his career again.

I mean, remember - his career was essentially OVER until "Honey". I remember reading several times that his agents/whoever were pushing him more as a "soundtrack artist" than an actual performer (think Vangelis) ... plus he said that he was preparing himself to basically go back to school

and despite the actually good songs on the album - I don't remember "I Like to Score" being very big... probably b/c it was just a collection of stuff for soundtracks, and didn't have a central album "vibe"

man... maybe I should put "Animal Rights" and those albums back on my iPod, I haven't listened to them in ages - if you ignore the (boring) tracks like "Soft" & "Face It" it's quite good (although, I'll never understand why there's three versions of that album) - plus I'd say "Alone" and "Living" are two of my favorite songs... pretty much ever

on a side note - anyone remember the movie "Permanent Midnight"? It came out in '98 and had "Honey" on the soundtrack...

Dunwho
04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
about the Fatboy Slim / Radiohead comment ... you do realize that he pre-dates either of them by several years, right?

Fully understand that, im just refering to the work he was doing in the late 90's...

darktrain
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
on a side note - anyone remember the movie "Permanent Midnight"? It came out in '98 and had "Honey" on the soundtrack...

Ben Stiller trying serious acting and Liz Hurley trying to act at all? Don't remind me!

holden
06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone pick up "Wait For Me" yet?
It's been getting decent to excellent reviews, as an emotive, starkly beautiful record...
Probably will buy on spec this week, as i've done with every other Moby LP. I really want a return to early 90's dance/techno, but that's not gonna happen. I'll just take something on par with Play at this point.

Bargo
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah I saw it on sale on friday night, had totally forgotten it was even coming, so I picked it up.

It's not bad I guess. If you want something similar to Play you'll really get into it, if you were hoping he'd branch out somewhere different I would strongly recommend giving it a miss. It is basically Play but without any really dancey tracks like Machete et al. You could slot the fourth track ("Study War") directly into Play and you probably wouldn't even notice. Lots of soft, occasionally ambient-y stuff. I only recall Moby singing on one, maybe two, tracks.. the rest are all guest vocallists who do an ok job.