PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Draw 20th March

big screen satellite
03-19-2009, 03:29 AM
i so think we (Man United) will draw Liverpool :)

it'll then be the match of Revenge...

How's the draw gonna turn out tomorrow?

here's my full prediction:

Barca vs Chelsea
Liverpool vs Man United
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich
Villareal vs Porto

Thats what i reckon, may be drawn other way around home/away (but that's what i think)

we'll see tomorrow...

Dirty0900
03-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Liverpool v Chelsea

It happens nearly every year!

Rog
03-19-2009, 05:03 AM
i don't care who we get at this stage...there are no easy games except perhaps................ utd..............LOL!:p:p:D:D

matt
03-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Liverpool v Chelsea

It happens nearly every year!Yes and from Matt's draw above that would be the semi final ;)

IsiliRunite
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes and from Matt's draw above that would be the semi final ;)
Oh snap! You know what that means.

matt
03-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Villarreal v Arsenal
Manchester United v FC Porto
Liverpool v Chelsea
Barcelona v Bayern Munich

That is pretty unbelievable!

So United - Arsenal and Barca - Liverpool/Chelsea semi finals then anyone..?

big screen satellite
03-20-2009, 04:54 AM
lol

Liverpool vs Chelsea - 5 years running...

or something...

never mind - at least one of them won't be near the final again...

Arsenal vs United in the semis should be interesting (should we both get through)

matt
03-20-2009, 04:59 AM
lol

Liverpool vs Chelsea - 5 years running...

or something...

never mind - at least one of them won't be near the final again...
We must have really offended the footballing gods to be given another serving of Liverpool Chelsea though. Think I'll be watching the Bayern - Barca matches those nights and then switch over just in time for the penalties in the other game...

Eikman
03-20-2009, 03:57 PM
So United - Arsenal and Barca - Liverpool/Chelsea semi finals then anyone..?

don't underestimate bayern....i am a huge barca fan and loathe bayern, but it is not going to be easy i'm afraid...

Rog
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
at this stage eik, there are NO easy games.......cream of europe now.....;)

stimpee
03-23-2009, 03:24 AM
at this stage eik, there are NO easy games.......cream of europe now.....;)Yes there are. Porto and Villareal. Arsenal and Man Utd should brush them aside, though Man Utds form recently is pants, Arsenal have got the best form in the premier league.

matt
03-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Arsenal have got the best form in the premier league.Actually, Spurs have got the best current form in the Premier League! :D :eek:

stimpee
03-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Actually, Spurs have got the best current form in the Premier League! :D :eek:As far as points earned in the last 6 matches, yes. But Arsenal are unbeaten since 22 November in the league, whereas Spurs were beaten 3 times away from home in January alone, as recently as 31 January.

big screen satellite
03-26-2009, 05:43 AM
As far as points earned in the last 6 matches, yes. But Arsenal are unbeaten since 22 November in the league, whereas Spurs were beaten 3 times away from home in January alone, as recently as 31 January.

.... Well, prior to our last two defeats we were doing pretty well in being undefeated and not conceding goals - in fact Arsenal's undefeated run includes several 'draws' - ours was almost all of wins...

but on current 6 games form Spurs are the best team at the moment...

however over the last 8 games United are the best form side, having not drawn 5 like Arsenal, which in terms of points is 10 dropped, unlike United losing two games which is just 6 dropped...

stats are useful when you want to show teams in good or bad light (Man United must be the current worst team over the past two games for example... whereas Liverpool the best)

the next games and the finishing position are generally key to form - whoever wins the league is the best team, because point accrued = best form over 38 games... we'll see how well Spurs and Arsenal fare at the end of the season....

Rog
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
at least it promises to be an exciting finish this year.....for me anyway......unless we f**k up next game that is:D

Eikman
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
jesus what a disgrace by bayern....not that i mind......VIVA BARCA! :D

IsiliRunite
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Its good to see at least one of Chelsea's recent acquisitions coming through at important times. Twice, though? I didn't think 4 goals would be scored in that game.

Rog
04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
we were outplayed.....we were lucky to get away with 1-3:confused::(

//\/\/
04-15-2009, 04:19 AM
cracking second leg - spoiled, and made, by reina's goof...

big screen satellite
04-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Ronaldooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

bring on the Arse...

Michel Platini will be loving the fact another British team will make the final again,

:D

//\/\/
04-16-2009, 03:50 AM
to be honest, my money's on arsenal/barca. the arse are hitting peak form right now - could be a sneaky bet for a double...

Dirty0900
04-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Tough call between Arse and Man Yoo game. Arse have this to go for so will go flat out as they can only really finish in a league place where they need to qualify for it again via play off's if they don't win it.

Can't see Chelsea denting Barca at all.

Rog
04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
you never know 0900.......barca's record against english teams over the last few years is piss poor so don't write chelski off yet......

must admit that even thogh we're out i enjoyed all the quarter final games. the scouse/chelski game was a blast even though we only drew:
ecstacy-despair-ecstasy-despair for me:D...what a game! hats off to the damned utd for a great 2nd half defensive display and the arse for brushing aside villareal -wish we had drawn them:p. looking forward to the semi's

IsiliRunite
05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
yo ovrebo... you suck.

I'm slightly disappointed, but hope Manchester United can manage a finals loss.

sanblaster
05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Ref was a fucking disgrace indeed. Red card to Abidal for Anelka's stumble....

(where did the coloured text feature go, anyway?)

//\/\/
05-07-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm slightly disappointed, but hope Manchester United can manage a finals loss.

you really see them losing against a team that looked so limited in 2 legs against chelsea?

Rog
05-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Ref was a fucking disgrace indeed. Red card to Abidal for Anelka's stumble....

...and the three penalties for chelski that he 'missed' - one of which should have been a red card anyway:p

do we detect the hand of platini not wanting another all english final maybe??

the ref was dreadful - and chelski were robbed.........they were the better team last night

sanblaster
05-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I do not agree.

The only penalty I would've awarded was Pique's hand. Chelsea played a shameful, ugly and ultra-defensive (Capello would've proud) football in both legs. Nobody seem to mention Ballacks' yellow card not awarded at Camp Nou and yesterday's red card to Essien's ankle breaker.

Whatever. I can't write in big, red and blue letters anymore, it seems. Now THAT is a conspiracy.

jole
05-07-2009, 08:36 AM
you really see them losing against a team that looked so limited in 2 legs against chelsea?
LOL, How exactly is a Barca limited team? Especially compared to that thing Chelsea is playing. They practicly dont want the ball unless its in counter attack. It was ridicolous to see them with an extra man playing with a bus parked in front of the box for the 25min period.

//\/\/
05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
i didn't say they were limited - i said they looked limited - and when you only produce 1 shot on goal, i'd say you'd been made to look limited. limited in ideas about how to break that defence down (which, given the hype, you'd forgive me for expecting)

don't get me wrong; i don't think chelsea deserve to go through because that brand of football is dull and would've led to a(nother) terrible final - but don't get carried away by that - man u are on another level right now. that was my point.

Rog
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
dammit! my satnav's playing up, keeps telling me chelsea's 2 minutes from rome.........

the way chelsea played reminded me of the way Steaua Bucharest used to play. However, Barcelona did not live up to my expectations or the hype. For a widely touted creative team they struggled to break chelski down and did not impress me at all.....no where near as good as when they're playing the rest of the shite that is the spanish league apart from a couple of other teams. will be a better final than a utd /chelski one would have (probably) been.

big screen satellite
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
man u are on another level right now. that was my point.

:eek: thanks - i think!!

yes - the way we ripped the Gooners apart, play like that again, Barac won't stand a chance...

at least the final will be interesting,

Chelsea are a win (or not lose) at all cost team, and would have held out for the lottery of pens again in the final anyway. Chelsea lost because they played negatively in Barca, and at home only had 30% possession - it was inevitable at some point Barca would score, it just happened to be almost the last kick of the game...

forget the ref's decisions, Chelsea should and could have wrapped the game up themselves, the 'decisions' or not to award penalties is neither here nor there... Chelsea did not do a decent enough job over two legs, like they didn't do a decent enough job in last years final... had Barca not scored then they would have not have confronted the ref (i appreciate that had United lost then the decision to award Arsenal a pen and send Fletcher off would have caused upset at the Emirates - its the fact that Chelsea lost that upset them most...)

I'm glad they lost, as a United fan i'd rather be playing Barca (especially having watched them be stifled by Chelsea), but its likely to be a better and more exciting game...

And I hope Everton beat Chelsea in the FA Cup too... :)

sanblaster
05-08-2009, 02:08 AM
My, you're a bunch of proper mouthy braggarts, aren't you?

Let us win an ugly game this season, ffs. Not all of them can be a show of skills and precision, can they? It was Chelsea who demeaned the game itself with two lines of 4 players, one metre behind the box, when Barça had the ball, all the time. Not to mention when we played with 10 and Drogba was changed for Belleti.

As long as it concerns me, to read all of you undermining Barça's game adds a little more pleasure to the fact we won at minute 183. Bring on Manchester Utd, who the hell cares if we need Touré playing as center back and Sylvinho as left back. I'm getting a bit tired of this season mumbling and rambling about the power of English footy. Where we you last july? How many players from the youth team play at Arsenal, Manchester, Liverpool and Chelsea? Because we usually play with 7 of them at the same time.

And I still am a tad angry I can't post big red and blue letters here anymore. Yannick do something.

Rog
05-08-2009, 03:48 AM
My, you're a bunch of proper mouthy braggarts, aren't you?

Let us win an ugly game this season, ffs. Not all of them can be a show of skills and precision, can they? It was Chelsea who demeaned the game itself with two lines of 4 players, one metre behind the box, when Barça had the ball, all the time. Not to mention when we played with 10 and Drogba was changed for Belleti.

Barca's so-called Skill and precision got you 1 shot on goal on wednesday and no goals the week before ....go figure:rolleyes:

AND, we have already agreed about how negative chelski were....they've only themselves to blame for not going through. I also think a number of their players should be disciplined because of the after-match shenanigans. I still think the ref was shite though.

i don't think that qualifies us as mouthy braggarts just because we don't agree with you on how wonderful your team are..................

sanblaster
05-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Barca's so-called Skill and precision got you 1 shot on goal on wednesday and no goals the week before ....go figure:rolleyes:

AND, we have already agreed about how negative chelski were....they've only themselves to blame for not going through. I also think a number of their players should be disciplined because of the after-match shenanigans. I still think the ref was shite though.

i don't think that qualifies us as mouthy braggarts just because we don't agree with you on how wonderful your team are..................

It's just the constant murmur I'm getting from everywhere (this thread included) in this country about how weak Barça looked in this round, and how that determines a final that is going to be easily won by Manchester United, implying that Barça's game shines in Spain because the rest of the teams in the domestic competition are shite. Whenever I hear such lack of respect towards Barcelona I interpret it as bragging. I'm really sorry about that.

I think Manchester is a superb squad, as it is Chelsea (no matter they play horrible, ultra defensive football - they are really good at it) and as it is Bayern Munchen. That only but adds to the merit of what Barça is doing this year, alive in three competitions in May.

By the way, http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3955/ballackhandball.gif

Rog
05-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Barca DID NOT LOOK WEAK!!!!! they just had trouble breaking down chelski, that doesn't mean they are a weak team - i don't think they are. And as i said the Utd/Barca final should be a good one with 2 attacking teams.......and i don't think either team is gonna win easily. As for the weakness of the spanish league, you have to agree that aside from barca there isn't much else this season. Real and Villareal and athletico were just not up to scratch in the champions league.....that's what i base my opinion of the spanish league on THIS SEASON:D. I have not stated that Utd will win or that Barca will lose, as a neutral i hope its a good game. I hope that clarifies my position with you.

sanblaster
05-08-2009, 06:10 AM
It indeed did, sire. It's just that I got a little touchy after reading all the posts in this thread and your comment about only scoring 1 goal in 180 minutes. Barça has scored 143 goals this season in 54 games! It came accross as a bit unfair because I've truly known for the last two seasons what is it like to play like shit and have a squad full of selfish vedettes :P

jole
05-08-2009, 06:25 AM
These days its hard to brake any team that closes their lines especially if that team is chelsea since they have top quality players (which is the reason i dislike them so much). This wasnt a typical barcas performance, but to call them anything other then gr8 team is kinda ignorant concidering their stats this season. When arsenal or chelsea were wining premierships without a loss of game no1 said it was cause premiership was weak (except me lol).
I ll ask u this, how do u think manchester would look and play if vidic, ferdinand and rooney couldnt play against a team strong as chelsea, cause thats what barca was missing in puyol, marquez any henry.

Jason Roth
05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Barca will crush Man U. Because I said so. Sorry Matt.
:p

edit: here are my terrible seats for the first semifinal leg @ camp nou

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38119841@N02/3512920413/

Rog
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
what's a vedette?

sanblaster
05-09-2009, 06:22 AM
what's a vedette?

vedette /be'ðet/ sustantivo femenino
cabaret star

stimpee
05-10-2009, 06:55 AM
If Barca play like they did in the semi finals then they are going to lose the final. Chelsea stopped Barcelona from getting into the 18yard box and reduced them to shooting from distance. Possession means nothing if you cant convert it into goals, and I dont think Barca had any shots on goal in the first 90mins of the 2nd leg. Doesnt matter how many league goals you score against Numancia or Sporting Gijon, because thats nothing like playing Manchester United.

I am far from being a Manchester United fan, but I can't see Barcelona stopping them.

Eikman
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I am far from being a Manchester United fan, but I can't see Barcelona stopping them.

i can. admittedly, they looked bad in the second leg against chelsea, but now they've won La Liga, which takes a bit of pressure off the team, and so they have another 3 weeks to fully concentrate on the CL final. I also think that Manchester won't play as defensive as chelsea did (well, in the first match), which in return provides room for barca. i'm looking forward to an interesting match. also, with henry and puyol two core players will return to the squad who were missing against chelsea.

Eikman
05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
also, barca just signed a new player: http://is.gd/xxHs

:D

Rog
05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
This wasnt a typical barcas performance, but to call them anything other then gr8 team is kinda ignorant concidering their stats this season. .

i don't recall saying in any of my posts that they weren't a great team, just that they didn't impress me over the two games against top quality opposition............and their 'stats this season' consists mostly of shite la liga teams

Rog
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
. When arsenal or chelsea were wining premierships without a loss of game no1 said it was cause premiership was weak (except me lol).

well you would say that as you appear to have 'la liga blinkers' on.

jole
05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Well they didnt impress any1 since they played an average game vs very strong defensive team with very improvised formation which made them lose their attractive style. And primera has the same amount of shite teams if not less then premiership, only diff is premiership teams pay more money to play like that.

big screen satellite
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Barca will crush Man U. Because I said so. Sorry Matt.
:p

edit: here are my terrible seats for the first semifinal leg @ camp nou

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38119841@N02/3512920413/

lol i'm expecting it to be at least 3-0 to United

Barca play in a league no better than Rangers and Celtic...

Barca did not beat Chelsea - the rules of the game meant that they won thru - it was two draws, under a league system its 1 point each - so United worried - pah!

//\/\/
05-27-2009, 02:01 PM
blimey - not many saw that coming. fair play to barca - not many teams'll play man u off the park like that...

BeautifulBurnout
05-27-2009, 02:11 PM
I just received a text message from a certain Spaniard of this Parish which I will not publish here because it may upset some of you as you cry into your beer. Suffice to say he is very happy and probably very drunk. :D

stimpee
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Both teams were just rubbish. Separated by who made the mistakes. Who lets a guy who is 5 foot 7 score with a header? hahaha. Apparently United do. The most disappointing final since... last year. They should have taken both teams out and have them shot.

Rog
05-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Utd went AWOL after the first 20 minutes...........pretty well outplayed on the night. Personally i think they looked tired and definitely didn't play to their capabilities....too many games maybe?
Barca played very well and Messi's goal gets better every time i see it;)

sanblaster
05-27-2009, 03:10 PM
lol i'm expecting it to be at least 3-0 to United

Barca play in a league no better than Rangers and Celtic...

Barca did not beat Chelsea - the rules of the game meant that they won thru - it was two draws, under a league system its 1 point each - so United worried - pah!

lol.

//\/\/
05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Both teams were just rubbish. Separated by who made the mistakes. Who lets a guy who is 5 foot 7 score with a header? hahaha. Apparently United do.

:rolleyes:

nonsense - barcelona played some lovely football - the close control, passing and movement was fantastic to watch. and as for messi's header - what an unbelievably perfect cross that made it.

cured
05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
United played like a MLS team today. After the first 8 minutes they were shit poor all the way around. Barca just casually walked the ball up the middle of the field to the 18 whenever they felt like it. Two guys were all they needed to carve up the back 4 or 5 for United time and time again. Not sure what was going on today but it was a disaster for United. Barca are deserving champions for sure.

Dirty0900
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Let the insults roll.

You dont give a player like Messi a free header...

Dunwho
05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Barca gave a master class tonight...it looked more like United were simply trying not to lose rather than to win.

Barca deserved winners

big screen satellite
05-28-2009, 03:20 AM
totally agree with the critiques here

United went missing - were they actually playing after 10 minutes?

I'm disappointed that Barcelona didn't score more considering they were playing against no-one

well done Barca, United never showed up and I'm not sure why

look at their faces at the end - they were not that upset...

maybe United (like me) had become complacent and having won it last year just couldn't be arsed...

i'd be more disappointing if we'd played well and lost, so ho hum

back on to the premier league next season, that's always more important (for me anyways)

Rog
05-28-2009, 03:32 AM
look at their faces at the end - they were not that upset...

maybe United (like me) had become complacent and having won it last year just couldn't be arsed...

hehehe! what bollocks!:p They were visibly upset and devastated that they didn't perform......And utd couldn't be arsed to get nearer to our 5 European cups? i don't think so. Barca did a job on you mate, end of.

//\/\/
05-28-2009, 05:39 AM
(i think they were still in shock)

jole
05-28-2009, 05:46 AM
That was soooo easy that it even suprised me.
Another confirmation of spanish primat in european football.

Rog
05-28-2009, 06:36 AM
That was soooo easy that it even suprised me.
Another confirmation of spanish primat in european football.

what a load of old bollocks you talk!. Barca were lucky to get past Chelski - mainly thanks to piss poor referee decisions.

Champions league final appearances over the last 5 years-
2005 Liverpool
2006 Arsenal, Barca
2007 Liverpool
2008 Man Utd AND Chelski
2009 Man Utd Barca

i make that 6 premier league club appearances compared to Spanish Leauges 2 (both Barca as the rest are not good enough)

and Semi-Final appearances......
2005 Liverpool, Chelski
2006 Arsenal, Barca, Villareal,
2007 Liverpool, Chelski, Man Utd
2008 Liverpool, Chelski, Man Utd, Barca
2009 Chelski, Man Utd, Arsenal, Barca

i make that 12 premier league club appearances compared to Spanish leagues 4.

So how exactly IS the Spanish league better than the premier league?, is it the better in the same way as Croatia are the best team in europe?

sanblaster
05-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Oh well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_win ners#By_country

Rog
05-28-2009, 07:52 AM
recent times San, recent times.........

sanblaster
05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Not a very good day to say that, is it? :P

Anyway, which better manner to measure Spanish's supremacy in the Champion's League than counting the overall titles of its clubs and comparing with the rest of the countries? We've got 12, Italy and England 11. End of.

sanblaster
05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
....even counting only on recent times, 5 trophies for Real Madrid & Barça against 3 for Manchester and Liverpool....

jole
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
What old bollocks i talk?
I was also refering to that number 12 + recent times is that Spain won Euro and has a best club in Europe, if that dont mean taking a primat what does?
Barca was not lucky against chelsea, so what ref made poor calls they do it in every game, they did it in first leg in barcelona too but u dont mention that.

I really dont want to open Croatia topic with u again Rog.

BeautifulBurnout
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Not arsed about playing?!! :D

The look on Van der Sar's face (http://img.metro.co.uk/e-edition/A18878/Metro20090528/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metro.co.uk %2Fe-metro) as he realises Messi's headed the ball right in is classic!

IsiliRunite
05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I am sad. Chelsea could have beaten a United team that flat :confused:

Jason Roth
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
lol.

+1

Rog
05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Not a very good day to say that, is it? :P

Anyway, which better manner to measure Spanish's supremacy in the Champion's League than counting the overall titles of its clubs and comparing with the rest of the countries? We've got 12, Italy and England 11. End of.

yeah and the first 3 or 4 of the 12 came when there were only 8 invited clubs participating.we never took part in the first one either. Over the last 5 years english clubs have been dominant as the above stats show. Having said that i thought Barca were very good and snuffed Utd out and deserved to win by more than 2 goals

//\/\/
05-28-2009, 01:33 PM

yeah; but think of what a stinker of a match it would've been. again!

Rog
05-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I really dont want to open Croatia topic with u again Rog.

ok, i wthdraw my croatia comment- was unnecessary. But over the last 5 years the premiership has been better as the stats clearly show

Eikman
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
lovely. just lovely.

also, i want to marry iniesta. best midfielder in the world right now? i think so.

matt
05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
At the end of the day, who really gives a shit which league is better. I enjoy watching the Premier League and I enjoy watching La Liga. Both have great games and both have shit games. Whether one is stronger than the other is irrelevant really.

Rog
05-29-2009, 01:51 AM
It's all to do with giving the finger to Platini............the more successful we are the better i like it and the worse he likes it.

big screen satellite
05-29-2009, 02:16 AM

erm no, because Chelsea play flatter than an omelette

look at the first leg against Barca

on Wednesday anyone could have beaten United, not taking credit away from Barca who played very well... but United do not and have not played like that all season, and hence are English Premier Champions...

it was just the wrong game to play your worst football of the season in (except for the home defeat by Liverpool, which for me was worse...)

as for the Spain talk... let them wallow in their glory

The uefa club coefficients still have England higher ... here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients)

come back when 3 out of 4 of your teams are in the semis each year....

Barca / Real.... then that's it... might as well be the Scottish league....

sanblaster
05-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Jejejeje, you know what, it's been like that all year in the spanish radio gatherings. Every team (except Espanyol and Atlético de Madrid, in the second half of the season both) have looked way behind their usual level. Even in Europe, except against Chelsea (who played a nice, balanced, attack prone (:rolleyes:) 4-5-1) they outclassed every rival. I'm far from an objective person in this talk, but I think this season it has always been Barça's merit to make their rivals look like they underperformed. Just look at the possesion rates every match or how Henry is the attacker with more balls stolen from rivals.

By the way, I still can't understand how you rate more the presence in semis and finals than the number of championships won. It scapes me.

Unless I decide to stretch a bit more the periods you take as reference and start in 1998, in which case I'll be delighted to inform you that England and Spain have had 7 appearances both in the finals, and in the same period Spain has had representatives of its league in the semis in 14 occasions with the likes of Villarreal and Valencia apart from Barça and Real Madrid. England had them in 16 occasions, which doesn't quite grant that honorific EPL supremacy title you're boasting in here so happily.

In other words, I think you Rog and BSS are talking a big pile of bollocks. Without neither malice nor hard feelings from this end.

big screen satellite
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
By the way, I still can't understand how you rate more the presence in semis and finals than the number of championships won. It scapes me.

tbh the Champions League despite its name is still a knock out cup competition, the best team in Europe generally wins it, but in the end its a cup final and on the day Barca won and won well... History is written and their name is on the cup - end of

are Barca the best team in Europe - yes probably

is the Spanish league better than the English league no one can officially tell - based upon rankings of teams the EPL is better, as England are ranked higher...

Rafa Benitez doesn't even think the best team in England won the EPL, but Man United are the best team in England (having won the title three years running) Barca are probably the best team in Spain, having won the three trophies they have (United have won three trophies this season also)

IMHO I believe winning your home league, in no matter what country (and this goes against my comments on the SPL) is much more important than anything else. Well it is for me, as I believe the EPL is a harder and more deserving trophy than the Champions League.

If the Champions League was simply a league then we would find out each season who the best team in Europe is... Barca drew two semi finals to qualify to the final, whereas United won both ties... 6 points vs 2 points in a League system... but that's kinda irrelevant

Barca won and i've not said anything that they didn't deserve it in a one off game...

Rog
05-29-2009, 08:13 AM
tbh the Champions League despite its name is still a knock out cup competition, the best team in Europe generally wins it, but in the end its a cup final and on the day Barca won and won well... History is written and their name is on the cup - end of

are Barca the best team in Europe - yes probably

is the Spanish league better than the English league no one can officially tell - based upon rankings of teams the EPL is better, as England are ranked higher...

Rafa Benitez doesn't even think the best team in England won the EPL, but Man United are the best team in England (having won the title three years running) Barca are probably the best team in Spain, having won the three trophies they have (United have won three trophies this season also)

IMHO I believe winning your home league, in no matter what country (and this goes against my comments on the SPL) is much more important than anything else. Well it is for me, as I believe the EPL is a harder and more deserving trophy than the Champions League.

If the Champions League was simply a league then we would find out each season who the best team in Europe is... Barca drew two semi finals to qualify to the final, whereas United won both ties... 6 points vs 2 points in a League system... but that's kinda irrelevant

Barca won and i've not said anything that they didn't deserve it in a one off game...

I agree totally with you Matt. I too have had nothing but praise for Barca's final performance......but when that starts getting extrapolated to 'the spanish league is the best' then i have to take issue with it as over the last 5 years it patently isn't.

Rog
05-29-2009, 08:22 AM
The only way this issue would ever be settled is if they formed a european super league featuring maybe the best 2 teams from England, Spain, Italy, germany, France *cough*, Holland *cough splutter* and a few others and to play each other in a regular season home and away and a knockout cup competion too.

What do you footy fans suggest as a super league format if they ever formed one?

sanblaster
05-29-2009, 08:42 AM
It would be the end of the domestic leagues.

.....it'd rock hard tho!

Although classic European matchs like Barça - Chelsea or Real Madrid - Milan would be far less interesting.... we'd get two of those every year.....

stimpee
05-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Champions League pah. You're spoiled. Try fighting it out in the Championship! 4th most watched league in the EU http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8045781.stm

Not stuffed full of foreigners only in it for the money. The Premier League and La Liga are swimming in dirty cash and players have no passion for their team. Theyre like mercenaries who are in there for the job.

Or maybe I'm just bitter/jealous :-)

Welcome Newcastle! Glad you decided to try it out... :D

cured
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Comparing entire leagues is difficult, I'd think. How strong are the top 5 in each league? How do they perform year in and year out?

Dirty0900
05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Champions League pah. You're spoiled. Try fighting it out in the Championship! 4th most watched league in the EU http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8045781.stm

Not stuffed full of foreigners only in it for the money. The Premier League and La Liga are swimming in dirty cash and players have no passion for their team. Theyre like mercenaries who are in there for the job.

Or maybe I'm just bitter/jealous :-)

Welcome Newcastle! Glad you decided to try it out... :D

Gonna be fun...