PDA

View Full Version : NFL talk

cured
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
So far this year, my team (Eagles) has been a real disappointment.

but at least we still get to see someone get their bones crunched like this past weekend:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XaPPHcBm4ro

man that looks painful.

holden
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but they did beat my Steelers :mad:;) Then the Eagles go an TIE the awful Bengals, which makes the victory over Pittsburgh even harder for me to bear!

I'm quite surprised with how well the Giants have played, especially as they weren't an overpowering team last year. They've gotten better after the Super Bowl, something that rarely happens except for a few "dynasty" teams - 49ers, Pats, Steelers. Maybe that bodes well for a return to the big game for the G-Men?

cured
12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
The G-Men are the class of the NFC, even when one of their star players can't play because he misses a team practice, mouths off at a ref, or shoots himself in the leg at a club. The real interesting thing is how the rest of the NFC will fill out. Will the Falcons make it with a rookie QB? Will the Panthers take a step forward after taking some back over the past few years?

The NFC East will decimate itself and the Eagles' only real shot is to win the rest of their games, 3 of the 4 against division rivals also trying to make the playoffs and 2 of those on the road. If they don't win this weekend against the Giants, the show will be over in Philly. McNabb will be dealt (probably to the Bears), Reid will get fired, Kold will be the new starter, Dawkins will retire, and we'll be back in rebuilding mode. My only hope is that if all of this happens, the Cowboys continue the tradition of losing playoff games.

den
12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
That McNabb-to-the-Bears deal rumor has been going around for years. I don't know how likely it is now that Kyle Orton is relatively consistent. They should really find someone for him to throw to, and not Devin Hester. It seems his gimmick has dried up. The Bears alternate between mediocre-good and terrible. Now they're stuck trying to win out and hoping the Vikings lose. But I don't think anyone expected them to be better than 8-8.

It's too bad there isn't more division parity. You end up with one team running away in a terrible division (NFC/AFC West) or several terrible teams that somehow still have a chance (NFC North) and a bunch of good teams all fighting for a wild card (NFC South). On the other hand, divisions like the NFC East are hugely entertaining where each matchup is a big rivalry where anyone is capable of winning any week.

potatobroth
12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Its been a fun year to support the Dolphins. Sure its going to be a crazy final two weeks, but the excitement coming off last season's disaster has been amazing. I'm loving the NFL again!

Just need the Pats and Jets to drop one this coming weekend. Ravens loss would be nice as well.

stimpee
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Great to see the Jets stop the rot against Buffalo. They still have the best record should it all finish all square vs the Dolphins and the Patriots so they only need to hold it together vs Seattle and then hopefully avoid losing against the Dolphins...

holden
12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
My hometown Steelers are driving me crazy! Too many games this year they've eked out in the last minutes or OT! With their very tough schedule, at least they are beating quality opponents, and doing it through defense if not offense, but it does make my blood pressure rise while watching.

I agree, it has been fun seeing the Dolphins bounce back this year, along with the surprising Cardinals. It's always nice to see the underdogs win or a bit of fresh blood in the playoff hunt.

stimpee
12-16-2008, 04:34 AM
I dont agree with it being nice to see the Dolphins bounce back. I'd like to see them, the Bills and the Patriots lose as many games as possible. But being the pessimistic Jets fan I am (like most), it will never happen ;)

potatobroth
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I dont agree with it being nice to see the Dolphins bounce back. I'd like to see them, the Bills and the Patriots lose as many games as possible. But being the pessimistic Jets fan I am (like most), it will never happen ;)

Imagine my typical Monday morning living in the greater NYC area and being a Dolphin fan. Removing the Pats from the picture, it doesn't matter what happens this week for Miami or the Jets. The winner of the division will be the team that beats the other one. Consequently, if the Ravens drop two (which is very possible looking at their remaining games) and the Fins top the Jets, then Miami takes the division and NYJ takes the Wildcard. Well that and the Pats need to lose one game.

I've been to many MIA/NYJ games at Giants' Stadium and they are almost always unbearable to watch all the way through. This year's promises to be ridiculously tense.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
My hometown Steelers are driving me crazy! Too many games this year they've eked out in the last minutes or OT! With their very tough schedule, at least they are beating quality opponents, and doing it through defense if not offense, but it does make my blood pressure rise while watching.

I agree, it has been fun seeing the Dolphins bounce back this year, along with the surprising Cardinals. It's always nice to see the underdogs win or a bit of fresh blood in the playoff hunt.

Ahh, but you could have it so much worse, I am from Green Bay, try watching your team lose in the last minutes or OT every week! Try having a team where every huge play is nullified by a holding call! Try having a team where all the players don't always even know what play is being called! Guess I can still root on the Jets, as much as I hate what he did to Green Bay this offseason, I can't help but root for Favre. Sadly, my two other favorite teams have really dropped the ball - the Browns (QB of the future looked shaky, QB of the present played awful, 3rd stringer doesn't have a clue), and the Lions (enough said). Despite all that I think this season has been much more interesting than last years - okay, the Super Bowl was a great David vs. Goliath story, but the season was mostly very predictable. With the Titans and Giants faltering lately, I feel like every playoff team will have a legit shot. There is simply no dominating team. The Giants are close, but they have weaknesses, and I have never felt the Titans deserved their 11-2 record. Cowboys and Colts will both make it but neither has looked particularly dominating this season. My pick for champ this year is the Steelers. Plus there are lots of great side stories - Aaron Rodgers' first year as starter (he's doing great but it's been fruitless so far), Matt Ryan, the Plax thing, Tom Brady making way for the almost-as-good Matt Cassell, the Dolphins going from 1-15 to playoff contenders, the blown call to mess up the AFC west (Broncos and Chargers should have their records tied), the Lions potentially going 0-16, the bizarre T.O. controversy, Donovan McNabb's weirdo season...actually makes me sad it'll be over soon...

kagenaki koe
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM

you should try seeing this from another teams/fans perspective, in this case I'm a Bolts fan:

they've won 2 games against the Chiefs on the very last play (missed FG, then failed 2 pt conversion)

and 5 games, they've lost in the final minute (including vs the Steelers)

den
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I forget about how bad the Dolphins were last year, but what about the Falcons? Who saw that coming? Who would've thought the NFC South would become such a tough division (and with the Saints at the bottom)?

12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I forget about how bad the Dolphins were last year, but what about the Falcons? Who saw that coming? Who would've thought the NFC South would become such a tough division (and with the Saints at the bottom)?

Yeah, the Falcons pretty much fell apart during the offseason, as I recall ESPN ranked them dead last in the power rankings in the preseason. Let's face it rookie QB's usually just don't work out, but Matt Ryan is clearly rookie of the year and one of the better QBs in the league. Speaking of the Saints - can you believe the line on yesterday's Saints-Lions game was a touchdown? SEVEN POINTS? The Saints are the team that would absolutely destroy a bad defense, and I really regret not putting my entire account on them as I was very close to doing.

potatobroth
12-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Ahh, but you could have it so much worse, I am from Green Bay, try watching your team lose in the last minutes or OT every week!

foretold!

12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
foretold!

Wheeee!! The Bears practically gave us that game. All we had to do was take it :mad: Once again the Pack dominate in practically every stat and come away with an L.

den
12-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Wheeee!! The Bears practically gave us that game. All we had to do was take it :mad: Once again the Pack dominate in practically every stat and come away with an L.
Wheeeee indeed! That was a fun game once it ended. That was vintage 2005 Bears. That is much better than 2006 where it appeared all the pieces were in place, and 2007, where all the pieces were expected to be in place but in fact were anything but. The Bears offense is so frustrating, that when they're down by 1 TD, it feels like they're down by 3 TDs. You think, "Ok, this is the drive" and then they fuck it up. And then the defense makes some ridiculous stop. And then you think, "Ok, now THIS is the drive" and then it all gets fucked up again. But still, the defense somehow makes another ridiculous stop, and then just by the odds of trial and error, the offense eventually does something. This was exactly like the Cardinals-"The Bears are who we thought they were!"-game. The Bears win in spite of themselves.

And I think that is much better than expecting them to win and being disappointed. Every win is an unexpected treat and guilty pleasure. All that game meant is at least one more weekend of relevant football for the Bears.

I think this situation is typical of defensive-minded teams, like the Ravens. The defense will keep them in the game and allow them to win, but the offense will never win the game outright.

Yeah, the Packers deserved to win that game, and they certainly won the previous meeting. But in the most prolific rivalry in all of football ever (college and pro), the only thing that matters is the win. That, and not already being eliminated from the playoffs...

holden
12-29-2008, 07:29 AM
What a heartwarming scene to see the Cowboys humiliated so badly at the hands of the surprisingly-reborn Eagles! Dallas has swaggered and infought all season, so i don't mind at all that they're dropped a peg and out of the playoffs.
Too bad about the Patriots - Cassell has played admirably in place of Brady, and it really was down to the wire as to who'd get in from the East. But again, it's nice to see some new blood in the playoffs, in this case, Miami.

AFC: Though i'd love to see the Steelers get back to the SB, the offense hasn't been firing on all cylinders, and the likes of the Ravens, Titans, and Colts seem more balanced and dominant. Especially the Colts, who also turned it around in the second half of the season.

NFC: Panthers and Giants probably still the teams to beat, and i'd say the Panthers are the stronger team (Giants have folded in recent weeks). But you know, with the Championship to defend and how Eli Manning has come on as a big star QB, i gotta think it's gonna be the Brothers Manning in the Superbowl, Colts vs. Giants.

cured
12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I can't believe my Eagles made the playoffs. When the earlier results came in and we had our opening, I was sure they'd find a way to blow it all and let the Cowboys laugh their way into the playoffs. As luck would have it, though, the Cowboys imploded like I've never seen a team implode before. I was yelling and screaming "MOAR POINTZ!" at the TV as a fumble was scooped up and the Eagles would score. First, Pacman right before the half gave us a field goal. Then Romo. Then Barber. Then Romo again. Hell, I boo'd David Akers when he missed a field goal cuz I had nothing to boo about till then.

potatobroth
12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch as a Dolphin fan. Its cliche to say that I'm happy we just made it to the Playoffs but who cares! Do I think the Fins will beat the Ravens? Hrmm, maybe. I think its 50/50 for that game even in Miami. After that all bets are off. Pittsburgh looks tough!

12-30-2008, 06:17 AM
This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch as a Dolphin fan. Its cliche to say that I'm happy we just made it to the Playoffs but who cares! Do I think the Fins will beat the Ravens? Hrmm, maybe. I think its 50/50 for that game even in Miami. After that all bets are off. Pittsburgh looks tough!

One of my best friends is a huge Dolphins fan, who battled some serious depression last season, let's just say he didn't even expect this (and he's ridiculously optimistic about them). Honestly as good as the Steelers/Giants/Titans are I don't think you can count out some of the lesser teams like the Vikings or even the Dolphins. The Fins have just been playing too well, and some teams are just on fire right now (the Colts and the Panthers), or dangerous if they catch (Vikings).

holden
12-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't it be something if we had big upsets and the Super Bowl ended up between the Cardinals or Vikings and Chargers? :D Las Begas would lose millions.

Talk on FoxSports today is how dangerous the Colts look - agreed, they've been the hottest over the last 8 or so weeks, especially with Captain Comeback Peyton manning. But you know what? It's the flippin' Playoffs! Every team is capable of winning here, and i'd expect a few surprises. Ravens are very tough, too.

potatobroth
12-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Oddly enough, when I look at the Colts, I see a beatable/exposed team. I realize they won what 10 in a row (?) but I still consider them a weaker version of themselves. I see the same in Tennessee but can't place the reasons that I do. Maybe I'm looking at these teams from a perspective of a Dolphin matchup? But the teams that scare me most are Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

I'm not even counting the Falcons as a playoff team. Sure they played well enough to get the nod, but I'd be shocked if they were to even be in a game much less win one.

12-30-2008, 11:38 AM
The Cards are the only team I absolutely cannot see making it to the Bowl. Their defense is garbage and they can't run. If they were in a good division, they'd be 7-9 or worse. The Chargers aren't looking good either, but they won their last four, so it's hard to count them completely out. Completely agreed about the Titans though. It's hard to place why I don't think they are the best AFC team, but they've never seemed that dominant to me. Their victory over the Steelers is their only real impressive win IMO.

Troy McClure
01-01-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm going to the Cardinals game on Saturday. I'm freaking excited. It's the first home playoff game for the Cardinals since they moved to Arizona 20 years ago. My first NFL playoff game, too. I've been to NBA and MLB playoffs before, and I expect it to be completely insane since it's win or go home.

Yeah, the Cardinals running game is fairly putrid, but their passing offense is lights out. Larry Fitzgerald has the amazing ability to catch the uncatchable ball, and Anquan Boldin is, I think, the toughest receiver in the league. He's built like a tank.

The team I see winning the Super Bowl is Carolina. They seem to have the least amount of weaknesses. They'll go up against the Titans, IMO, because the Steelers QB had a concussion.

--Jason

01-02-2009, 06:13 AM
The team I see winning the Super Bowl is Carolina. They seem to have the least amount of weaknesses. They'll go up against the Titans, IMO, because the Steelers QB had a concussion.

--Jason

This was my line of thinking too. Apparently Big Ben is okay, but I don't trust that; Derek Anderson had a concussion in the preseason and posted up HORRIBLE stats in his first three regular season games. I couldn't help but wonder if he was still shaken up by that...

potatobroth
01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm going to make a completely arbitrary guess of how the playoffs will pan out. And since I'm unable to pick against Miami, here's my guess.
I'd be happy if I got even a few right but here goes:

Round 1:
Baltimore @ Miami
Philadelphia @ Minnesota
Atlanta @ Phoenix
Indianapolis @ San Diego

Round 2:
Miami @ Pittsburgh
Philadelphia @ New York
Phoenix @ Carolina
San Diego @ Tennesee

Round 3:
San Diego @ Miami
Carolina @ New York

Round 4:
Miami v. Carolina

potatobroth
01-05-2009, 05:02 AM
well, shit.

holden
01-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, sorry. Man, i wanted the 'Fins to beat the Ravens. If they survive the Titans, which i think they will, i'm afraid for the Steelers to potentially host them for the Title game. Assuming Pittsburgh makes it past the Chargers.

Good for the Chargers knocking off the Colts. Bye, Peyton.
And how about those Cardinals?!

bas_I_am
01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Baltimore at Tennessee
San Diego at Pittsburgh

Arizona at Carolina
Philadelphia at N.Y. Giants

then

Baltimore at San Diego
Philadelphia at Carolina

San Diego [at] Carolina

cured
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
BALTIMORE over Tennessee (20-10 type of game)
PITTSBURGH over San Diego (Chargers are too gimped)

NY GIANTS over Philadelphia (picking against my beloved Eagles)
CAROLINA over Arizona (by three touchdowns)

then

BALTIMORE over Pittsburgh (by 2 touchdowns)
CAROLINA over NY Giants (field goal)

then

BALTIMORE over Carolina (1 point...this pick goes either way)

holden
01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
BALTIMORE over Tennessee (20-10 type of game)
PITTSBURGH over San Diego (Chargers are too gimped)

NY GIANTS over Philadelphia (picking against my beloved Eagles)
CAROLINA over Arizona (by three touchdowns)

then

BALTIMORE over Pittsburgh (by 2 touchdowns)
CAROLINA over NY Giants (field goal)

then

BALTIMORE over Carolina (1 point...this pick goes either way)

I think you're probably right with these picks, except i see the Ravens-Steelers AFC Champ match-up being closer, based on the two games they've already played. Both have really stingy defenses and are a bit hit-or-miss offensively. Ravens are tough, and though i'd love the Steelers to win, i think Baltimore will want their revenge for the two last-minute losses and will overpower Pittsburgh's O-line. I'd bet it's more a 3-7 point win for Baltimore.
Still, as they sing in Pitttsburgh, "HEre we go, Steelers! Here we go!"
Get that 6th ring!

IsiliRunite
01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
does Flacco have what it takes in these high-pressure situations?!? :eek:

01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
does Flacco have what it takes in these high-pressure situations?!? :eek:

He looked great against the Fins, but then again their defense was giving him a tough time and they are rated nowhere near the Steelers. Plus getting great field position all the time (thanks to the defense) makes any QB look good. I mean, look at the Colts/Chargers game - Manning got pinned against his own end zone often and I don't think ever started from even the 20. No wonder the 3-time MVP couldn't get anything together.

That said, while I never trust rookie QBs in the playoffs, it's going to be a close game, as the Steelers are tough. Who knows if the Ravens can win it all.

cured
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Flacco is looking an awful lot like Trent Dilfer and that worked out really well for the Ravens. For them, they don't need Flacco to go out and score a lot of points...the defense really handles things and as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over, the defense usually handles the other team.

Troy McClure
01-11-2009, 12:29 AM
How about that ass-kicking beatdown by my Cardinals tonight?

http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/232968.jpg

So this is what it's like to live in a city where the local NFL team is in the NFC Championship game!

Jason

cured
01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, that was a shocker, not necessarily who won, but the margin of victory.

holden
01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Woooo! Go Steelers!

How about an all PA Superbowl - Eagles vs. Steelers?
:)

potatobroth
01-11-2009, 04:47 PM
He looked great against the Fins

really? he was 9 for 26 or something like that.

01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
The Cards are the only team I absolutely cannot see making it to the Bowl. Their defense is garbage and they can't run. If they were in a good division, they'd be 7-9 or worse.

It's hard to believe just how unpredictable this season has been. The Panthers aren't really a team with many weaknesses but Delhomme just collapsed at the worst time. After the way the game started I predicted a pretty long night for the Cards. I still don't think the Cards offense even played especially well that game, it just seemed like the Panther's pass defense was all out of wack and always left a guy wide open, which vs. Kurt Warner is just asking for trobule. I was really impressed with the Cardinal's defense though, I don't think they've ever played better, and during their terrible November and early December run just seemed inept. If they can play this way vs. the Eagles (NFC championship game Cardinals vs. Eagles? Really? Did ANYONE see that coming around Week 11 or 12?) they may well make it after all.

01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
really? he was 9 for 26 or something like that.

Statistically he definitely wasn't, and after I made that comment I remember that he was throwing lots of bricks (he was 11 for 26 as I recall), but he didn't make the mistakes that rookie QBs are so well known for. He did look calm and collected, didn't force anything, and managed the game well (especially in the 2nd half). Since he's got the jitters of his first playoff game out of the way I figured he'd be as good as anyone, and now he's the first rookie to win 2 playoff games.

Troy McClure
01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Thought I'd plug my hometown Cardinals again. This article is from the main sports columnist for 'The Arizona Republic', the biggest newspaper of Arizona. I think it's going to be in Monday's paper. It sums up what it's like to be a Cardinals fan, and how big this is for the team.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/43229

I was able to get tickets for next week's game. I can't believe it.

End fanboy hype....Jason

gambit
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
A Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl would be the most fun match up, but I'd like to see the Cardinals get in just for the hell of it. But it'll probably be an all PA match-up. I don't see the Eagles being caught with their pants down like the Panthers were nor do I see the Ravens matching up offensively with the Steelers.

den
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Forget about all of the end-of-the-world predictions for 2012. We're not going to make it. Just think, we're only two games away from the phrase: "Super Bowl Champion Arizona Cardinals."

I would love to see them win just for fun.

Stump-Your-Friends Trivia!

What's the oldest team in the NFL?
It's not the Bears or the Packers. It's the Cardinals. Even before joining a league that would eventually become the NFL in 1920, the Cardinals date back to 1898. They were originally called the Racine Cardinals, and not for Racine, Wisconsin, but I guess for Racine Street on Chicago's south side. Later they played at Comiskey Park while the Bears played at Wrigley Field. (Sox and Cubs is too much, I can't imagine Chicago still having two football teams.)

Why are they called the Cardinals?
It way pre-dates their days in St. Louis:
"In 1901, the team gained longstanding identification when O'Brien, finding a bargain, bought used jerseys from the nearby University of Chicago. The jerseys were faded maroon in color, prompting O'Brien to declare, "That's not maroon, it's Cardinal red!" The club's permanent nickname had been born!"

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/azchi/cardschi.html

What school did the first Heisman Trophy winner attend?
The University of Chicago (1935). Then they had the first controlled atomic reaction underneath the football stadium bleachers, later demolished the stadium to build a library, and won like 50 Nobel Prizes. And 1 Heisman Trophy.

Ok, I'm done for now.

holden
01-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm prowd to be from Pittsburgh today. Steelers played an inspired game to make it to the SuperBowl.
And, big congrats to the Cardinals, for shocking everyone again! Should be a fun SB in 2 weeks!

(Go Steelers!)

01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow, I am really rooting for the Cards now - it is hard to forget how many points they have given up this season and how awful they have been running (and really still are), but they got it together and very nearly put the game away by the half. The fact they were able to put together a game-winning drive when all the momentum was on the other side was amazing. Kurt Warner is playing better than anyone right now - I think he deserved MVP (in retrospect), as this team would simply not work without him. (ok, it is the same with Manning, but the Cards pulled off THREE upsets - that is really saying something) Plus, he seems like a good guy as well...he even promised his family a puppy if he won the Super Bowl, how great is that?

gambit
01-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Plus, he seems like a good guy as well...he even promised his family a puppy if he won the Super Bowl, how great is that?Well, Obama promised a puppy to his kids if he won the presidency, so if it worked for him, I can't see why it wouldn't work for Warner and the Cardinals! Sorry, holden, the Cards win! :D

IsiliRunite
01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I like both teams, but I'm not sure I see the Cardinals doing a whole lot to the Steelers defense. They are sooo good... my two cents. They time blitz' extremely well and even McGahee's good pass protection pick-ups couldn't prevent all that pressure. Then again, Kurt Warner is great against the blitz and he won't make as many mistakes as the rookie Flacco.

01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Then again, Kurt Warner is great against the blitz and he won't make as many mistakes as the rookie Flacco.

This is a big factor. Flacco did look pretty inexperienced out there against a great defense. Warner really did make the Eagles pay for blitzing him yesterday and hopefully he can do it in 2 weeks. I know the Steelers are generally favored, but I think the fact that the Cardinals pulled off three consecutive upsets in the playoffs is huge. We all know what the 10-6 Giants did last year.

Troy McClure
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Since I might be the only semi-regular Dirty member from Phoenix, yesterday at the game was the loudest event I have ever, ever, ever been to. Jet engine level noise is the only way to describe it.

I maybe only 99% percent sure there is a God, but I am 100% sure there is a Kurt Warner.

The Cardinals coaches have gigantic balls to call a flea-flicker play like that. That never worked in grade school for me.

Jason

Troy McClure
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
So what are people's projections for the Super Bowl on Sunday?

34 - 24 Cardinals is mine. I have no idea why, just a hunch that Arizona's incredible run continues.

Jason

holden
02-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Okay, so the native Pittsburgher in me is permitted, nay, required to shout: "YEAH, STEELERS!"

But what a game that was for both teams! Not decided until the final minute, with amazing, big plays from both squads.

potatobroth
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
can't believe for the second year in a row, the go ahead score came with only 35 seconds left in the game. Sick game. Loved it.

cured
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Fantastic game...didn't think the Steelers would pull it out after blowing their lead. But Santonio made some great hands plays and finally made himself worthy of the mid first round pick they used to get him.

IsiliRunite
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
The best part was the fact that he let a first-down TD slip through his hands, the play before.

den
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
All I wanted was a game that was exciting until the very end. That wish was fulfilled. And what a strange game. A 100-yard interception return as time ran out in the half (that play made/ruined many a Super Bowl squares game). And the offensive holding safety call, several critical and reviewable plays, amazing catches, topped off by Santonio Holmes' ridiculous two-foot dragger under triple-coverage. The most disappointing part of the Super Bowl was the commercials. I wanted the Cardinals to win, just to see them win it for the first time. But as strange as it is to see the 9-7! Cardinals in the Super Bowl, I feel like if they can keep their team together, they could be a contender for a while.

See you in 6 months.

Troy McClure
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I thought a night of sleep might take out some of the sting, but dammit it still is gut wrenching today. I know the Cardinals were not predicted to make it this far, but hell, if you get to the Super Bowl, you might as well win it.

I thought after making some dumb penalties, giving up the INT TD return, falling behind 13, and seriously suspect officiating, the Cardinals STILL took the lead with 2:37 to go. But the Steelers made the plays, so props to them. Except for James Harrison...that guy is a prick.

The Cardinals will be back...they have too many badasses to not keep being successful: Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby and Adrian Wilson on Defense. Plus Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie looks like the real deal at corner after just his rookie year. I hope they can mend fences with Anquan Boldin.

Then there is Larry Fitzgerald. I like to call him 'Spiderman'.

--Jason in Phoenix

02-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I thought the officiating was kind of bad too. I don't think the refs were biased but it seemed all the dubious calls were against the Cardinals. James Harrison's 100-yard TAINT should have been looked at closer - I just do not see him evading that many tackles without some kind of defensive holding or clipping, and it really did look like he was stopped an inch short. But there was not really enough evidence either way, so whatever was called on the field was going to stand.

Second half, it seemed like the Cardinals were called for some ridiculous things, including at least one holding call that was very dubious, and a weak "roughing the passer" that simply was a product of momentum. You can't expect these huge guys to stop on a dime! Meanwhile the Steelers are getting called for "unnecessary roughness", which was more like assault! I can't believe Harrison didn't get thrown out. And since they were pinned against their own 2, it was only a 1-yard penalty. And what about that last play? It's a close call, but it looked like a forward pass to me. I don't see why more people aren't questioning that - the way it ended was shady and easily could have been overturned.

Either way it was a great game...I wonder if the Cards will play this well in 2009?

IsiliRunite
02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Teams that make it to, and lose the super bowl, generally aren't that great the next year. Its physically and emotionally draining...

02-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe true, I haven't really thought of that. I do remember however the Bears got trounced under Rex Grossman people could not believe the next year that Rex got the team to the Super Bowl. Hopefully the Cards will not be forgotten - their division is weak and they could easily make another playoff appearance, unless the Seahawks suddenly have a resurgence (which is entirely possible).

cured
02-03-2009, 08:58 AM
The officiating wasn't that bad. The roughing the passer penalty aside (it was close), the calls were generally pretty good and they let the teams smack each other around a bit when the whistles blew. The last play was close but I thought it was a forward pass, also. Doesn't really matter, though, there wasn't going to be any miracle on that play, not with Pittsburgh playing 8 at the goal line.

And yeah, there is a Madden-esque curse on teams that lose the Super Bowl. The Giants took a step back after the '01 bowl, the Rams after the '02 bowl, the Bucs after the '03 bowl, I mean...look at the list...Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, hell even the Patriots last year. All of these teams have something happen during the next season that sinks them. It it bad play? Injuries? Who knows...these teams, lately, haven't even made it back to the playoffs the next year.

For the Cardinals? Well, it might be Kurt Warner retiring.

02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey, let's not forget the Bills, they made the Super Bowl 3 more times after they lost it ;)

cured
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, and notice after Norwood's miss they never came close to winning another one. ;)

The AFC wasn't that deep back then and the Bills were loaded with Hall of Famers. Their chief rivals were the Bengals and, after their one shot at the big game, they never threatened to make it back.

Troy McClure
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I didn't want to seem like I was partly blaming the refs for Arizona losing...the refs were just more involved than should be needed.

It will be very tough for both teams to get back to the Super Bowl next season. Recently, even some of the winners don't fair well.

02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I didn't want to seem like I was partly blaming the refs for Arizona losing...the refs were just more involved than should be needed.

It will be very tough for both teams to get back to the Super Bowl next season. Recently, even some of the winners don't fair well.

It looks like Pittsburgh is going to be a great team for the next couple of years, at least. It's not as though the SB teams are falling off the map...the Giants did very well, and the Colts shook a shaky start to make the playoffs, and the Pats are pretty much always good (at least, this decade). I predict the Steelers make the playoffs and go fairly deep.

potatobroth
02-04-2009, 07:26 AM
If I correctly read a stat that I saw on TV last night, and I think I did, the last Super Bowl losing team to win a playoff game the following year was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. What a staggering statistic! (I'm trying to find this online; I caught a snippet about it on ESPN last night. I may be wrong but again, don't think so.)

cured
02-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Nah, the Buffalo Bills went to 4 Super Bowls in a row, so there's that for ya.

cured
02-04-2009, 07:31 AM
BTW the '72 Dolphins went undefeated that year and they won the Super Bowl :D

den
02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I totally missed this thread.

I grew up on Bills football. You have to admit that the record of reaching 4 Super Bowls in a row (furthermore, to lose all of them) is unlikely to be broken. I bought a Super Bowl XXV t-shirt in a thrift store once. And one of my fantasy teams is named "Norwood All-Stars.

But I don't think the AFC was that weak back then. Yeah, the Patriots were garbage, but there were always teams like Miami, Denver, and Houston ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football) ) who later got their revenge ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_City_Miracle ). The NFC was much better then, but I think that was the glory days of quarterbacks. Elway, Kelly, Montana, Young, Aikman, Marino, Esiason, all of those guys were studs. Now you have your Favre's and Mannings and Bradys, but those older guys to me seem like classic quaterbacks.

Also, even last year I was thinking this, but the idea of the AFC as totally superior to the NFC is no longer true, and the tides are changing.

adery
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
The last 10 visitors to this page were:.Pichu-kunAurapostleEntertained Infernal ContraptionLornamiMikaSeth-kunsharkshankTater TotYou Homosexual Blood ElfI pretty much know them all and have had conversation with most of them recently

Ranana_infuLp
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
you can see all the pages a visitor looks at when browsing the visitors and clicking the look for the last page and thats the last page they browsed, is that what you mean?