PDA

View Full Version : VP debate

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Alright, comments away!

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Palin was very articulate in that first response on the bail-out.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:09 PM
you betcha!
maverick
politics as usual

glug glug glug....

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm already sick of her darn tootin', Joe six-pack folksyness.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
She's coming across well, but far too rehearsed in her responses for my liking... and she won't take her eyes off the camera.

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
At least she's looking at him. That's a plus over the head of her ticket.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep, she's clearly been told to that! ;)

Biden's giving a good defence of Obama's deregulation.

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
The Palins are middle-class? Don't their assets total $1 million.

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Oooo, good point on the $1000 oil windfall profit refund and tying it with what she did in Alaska.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:30 PM
She's much more slick tonight, albeit with cutesy folksiness, but it's really bugging me the way she's sticking so hard to her own talking points rather than answering the question.

She starts every answer with "I wanna talk about...."

Maybe wise from her point of view.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
i just started watching. has she been rambling all this time?

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
"Drill, baby. Drill!"

Oh please, Sarah....

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
They both had a nice moment of agreement there - emphatically, neither supports gay marriage. Smiles all around.

Hurrah!

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
when will someone mention Petreaus's recent quote about "there is no victory in this war".

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I think Joe may need to take a breather.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
nucular heh

dubman
10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
palin sounds much much better than usual, but her 180s are too obvious

GOP-style diversions arent very roundabout, but they are at least more slick about dodging questions. palin's not even bothering, because she's rehearsed this debate to death, and anything they havent covered she outright says "i dont wanna talk about that, i want to talk about the energy policy that i didnt have time to say before"

so far it's her only big slip up, but it's kind of a big one that i hope gets attention later on.

biden's doing really well. probably needs to smile less

i'm sensing some unraveling on palin, she had one rambly answer and another that threatened to become one...?

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
nucular "eye"-ran! lol!

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Someone tell the Dems to lay off the Spain gaffe please!

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I find myself despising her foreign policy views.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
her foreign policy views.

it's not hers.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Facts are truly spilling out of Biden at an alarming rate tonight. I hope he's got them all right and doesn't get too "fact-checked" in the coming couple of days.

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Her foreign policy involves seeing Russia from her state.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
it's not hers.
good point. :)

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
i'm so sick of the surge.

dubman
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
"too much fingerpointing and blame and ugh you know accountability is like so 5 minutes ago"

are we noticing a trend of covering up a complete ignorance of history and causation by saying "oh we need to look ahead and use that maverick pluckiness to do something!
and not, you know. notice that voting for the same republican party that accelerated 6 different kinds of mess is a little CRAZY"

bleh

gambit
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Palin just seems rushed to me. She's not handling the time limit very well.

dubman
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
candidates never handle their time well.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:00 PM
"too much fingerpointing and blame and ugh you know accountability is like so 5 minutes ago"

are we noticing a trend of covering up a complete ignorance of history and causation by saying "oh we need to look ahead and use that maverick pluckiness to do something!
and not, you know. notice that voting for the same republican party that accelerated 6 different kinds of mess is a little CRAZY"

bleh
Yes.

But it will fool some of the people some of the time.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Biden should say that we started the war in Afghanistan before Iraq, and that war STILL hasnt ended.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:02 PM
candidates never handle their time well.Biden is handling ten times better than Palin.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Dangerous territory getting into the "for it before I was against it" argument with Iraq, Governor. I see the Bridge to Nowhere being slapped across your face in your near future.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm really getting the impression that Biden truly believes in what he's arguing, whereas Palin is just delivering someone else's speeches, but cutesifying them.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Biden should ask Palin what war McCain has won.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
The heartbeat away from the presidency question - excellent. Biden is looking and sounding presidential and trustworthy.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
How does John McCain know how to win a war again? We lost in Vietnam where he was locked away for five years.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
PALIN STOP TRYING TO BE CUTE AND BE FUCKING PRESIDENTIAL!!!

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
she sounds more like a news anchor.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:14 PM
She sounds like a kindergarten teacher.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
runaround answer. god.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Good jab at Cheney from Biden.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Palin rattling off every kind of card she has.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
sorry if i missed the joke, but she did used to be a news anchor didn't she?

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
whoa! late to the game - has palin been dribbling this hollywood style writing the whole time?

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Biden "my sob story is better than yours, sarah".

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
sorry if i missed the joke, but she did used to be a news anchor didn't she?She was a sports reporter.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
whoa! late to the game - has palin been dribbling this hollywood style writing the whole time?Pretty much.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah, counter that maverick bs!

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
wow. nice 1-2 from biden taking out palin's folksy down home shit

palin keeps referring to mccain - what about her role? and biden comes straight back and slams the whole "maverick" line.

dubman
10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
ooh he's waking up

did biden just choke up?
haha - my sob story puts your folksy crap out of the game.
it started well for both of them but biden is running away with this now. she's slowly devolving and unraveling and he's loosening up.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I've really warmed to Biden throughout this debate. Would have made a great president I think.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, don't appoint just people from your party! Make sure to appoint your high school buddies to high ranking positions!

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Palin looks like she's drawing penises when she's writing notes (see her grin)

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
wow, a great non answer from Palin.:rolleyes:

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
cliche alert!!

walk the walk, end of the day, the greater good, have got to speak for themselves, lower taxes, build up infrastructure, energy independent, support a ticket, increase taxes, increase spending, trillion dollars, clear choices,

please. stop. talking. to. the. people. palin.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
i like the overall sincerity that Biden is showing. Palin giggling like "ooh, i remembered the answer" not so much.

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Biden nailed his final statement and this debate. Palin was disastrously terrible, but she was at least strung together sentences that made some sense.

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
at least strung together sentences that made some sense.

and then you realize she didnt even address the actual question when she strung sentences together.

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Biden nailed his final statement and this debate. Palin was disastrously terrible, but she was at least strung together sentences that made some sense.
Agreed - though disastrously terrible by our standards is probably pretty darn tootin' by Palin's. :D

dubman
10-02-2008, 07:37 PM
biden won the debate, obv. but palin is going to get big points for not making a fool of herself. she still sorta lost it in the last half, but not so badly to, say, be the butt of a leno joke tonight.

i hope they dont let her get away for being a rambly jackass that biden out-classed and schooled in specifics as well as in speech, but one can only hold out for so much

kagenaki koe
10-02-2008, 07:37 PM
David Gergen slurrred her name, Sarah Failin hehehe

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
and then you realize she didnt even address the actual question when she strung sentences together.What I meant her sentences weren't the grammatical disaster they were in the Couric interviews.

And of course, Pat Buchanan said she "moped the floor with Biden."

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
wow. only saw the last 15 minutes, but that was classic Palin - lots of schmaltz, drizzled with down home cliche and lightly sauteed in a steamy pile of my little pony pastel. I thought at one point she was going to come out from behind the podium and unleash some GOP version of the Care Bear rainbow on the audience, showering them in seven shades of star spangled avon lady loveliness.

Biden - thought he stumbled a few times, but seemed genuine and not pompous, and articulate without being presumptous - of either the audience or his opponent. Really liked how he took the wind out of Palin's "I'm a single Mom" angle - not by denigrating her, but by telling his story.

Did he even choke up at that point - or was he playing?

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Buchanan: "Joe was boring."

gambit
10-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Palin acted like Tina Fey's impersonation of her. Fey won't have much work to do this weekend!

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I loved Biden's "Cheney is the most dangerous VP we've ever had"

Poor old Dick. I can see him in front of the mirror tonight, practising a folksy "you betcha!" style, while winking at random intervals.

Ya GOTTA BE a MAVERICK, see?

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
via TPM - I missed this bit - but what in gods name is Palin actually saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvsPFndSzNU

Anyone?

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
wow. only saw the last 15 minutes, but that was classic Palin - lots of schmaltz, drizzled with down home cliche and lightly sauteed in a steamy pile of my little pony pastel. I thought at one point she was going to come out from behind the podium and unleash some GOP version of the Care Bear rainbow on the audience, showering them in seven shades of star spangled avon lady loveliness.
To a tee. :D

Did he even choke up at that point - or was he playing?
I hope he wasn't playing. Not with a personal tragedy on that level.

chuck
10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
And for the pedants and grammarians in all of you, courtesy of Slate.

Sentence structure by Sarah (http://www.slate.com/id/2201158/).

And the Daily.

Gams and Gammer (http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=186764&title=gamsgammer)

Troy McClure
10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't think you should tell the debate moderator:
'And I may not answer the questions that either the moderator or you want to hear...'

I noticed how much Gov. Palin interjected fear into this debate. She might have well as said in her final comment, 'that if you don't vote for McCain, we won't be a free country anymore'.

Biden did awesome with the Vice President / Constitution question. Did I hear correctly or did Palin think Cheney is a good VP? Holy crap!

I need a fuckin' drink after watching Palin. Jason

Deckard
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
via TPM - I missed this bit - but what in gods name is Palin actually saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvsPFndSzNU

Anyone?
Talking about some rogue state called 'New Kuler' or something like that.

Bet they don't have mavericks there.

Troy McClure
10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
The VP debate transcript is up on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/

Jason

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-02-2008, 08:08 PM
So what happened?

dubman
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
"donny, life does not stop and start at your convenience you miserable, peice of, shiiit"

chuck
10-02-2008, 08:24 PM
The debate through another lens.

LIVE debate blogging! GOOOOOOO SARAH!! (http://dagblog.com/politics/live-debate-blogging-goooooo-sarah)

John - this one will appeal to you. :)

---------

OMG!!!! RU excited for Sarah Palin's debate? I SOOOO AM!!!! GOOOOO SARAH!!! She's going to kick that Biden dude's WRINKLY OLD ASS!!! LOL!!! He totally looks like Draco Malfoy's evil dad in Harry Potter.
http://dagblog.com/sites/default/files/JoeBiden.jpeghttp://dagblog.com/sites/default/files/LuciusMalfoy.jpg
Ewwwwwwwwww!!!!! Too creepy!!! My grrrlfriend says that Malfoy's dad, I mean Joe Biden, is going to win the debate because he knows about other countries and stuff, but she is TOTALLY effed in the head. First of all, Sarah knows LOTS of countries. The president of Russia is her neighbor, so she knows him the best of anyone. And she also knows people in Canada and the north pole and all the other countries. So there!! Second of all, this is America and nobody here gives any shits about the other stupid countries anyway. Third of all, wait, I forgot third of all. Oh yeah, third of all knowing lots of stuff doesn't mean that you get to win. There was this really smart nerd in my school called Wally Lipschitz (LOL!!!!) and he ran for class president. But Kurt Hanson, who's like super hot and a quarterback and everything but he almost got held back for flunking all his classes even English 10 with Mr. Susskin who gives everybody A's even me, especially if you're all flirty with him. Anyway, Kurt ran too, and he got like 1000 votes, and Wally only got 3, and Miley Cyrus got 5 and she doesn't even go to our school. And then Wally got a whole bunch of guns and he was going to try to kill everyone, but the police got him, and now he's in juvi. So see, Sarah is like Kurt except that she only flunked in college a little bit and plus she's not a dude and knows how to be flirty. And Malfoy's dad is like Wally except that he's really old and not a psycho. Or maybe he is, and he's going to shoot everybody when he loses, and Sarah will have to save everyone. It could happen.

So this is what you have to do. Every time Sarah says something really funny and cool, you have to write down 1 or 2 or 3 smileys likes this :):):):). Or as many as you want. And every time Slidin Biden says something like super knowitall and dickheadlike, you have to write down a whole bunch of mad frownies like this >:( >:( >:(. And at the end, Sarah will have like a thousand :) and evil Malfoy dad will have like a million >:( and that's how you'll know that she won. YAY!!!!!!!!! GO SARAH!!!!!!! :):):):) And after that, everyone will know that she totally rocks and she'll win the election and then she'll be the Vice President and after that the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, the COOLEST PRESIDENT EVVVVVVVVERRRRR!!!!! http://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

So I was going to a KOOL party for the debate where everyone drinks whenever Sarah says "bridge to nowhere" (which she totally kicked the ASS of because why would anyone want to build a bridge that goes nowhere DUHHHHHH!!!!) but I got effing grounded because I got suspended when I kicked Corey Fuffenkeffer in the nuts for saying that Sarah's not experienced. But Sarah has five kids and Corey has never even gotten to second base with anyone so I think that she has more experience than he does. So guess what I'm going to do instead????? LIVE DEBATE BLOGGING YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to be the COOLEST EVVVVVRRRR!!! It's right here, so just come back for the debate and I will totally BLOG your pants off!!!!

Also, if you haven't seen my awesome Sarah Palin Tribute Page (http://dagblog.com/politics/i-love-you-sarah-palin), you totally have to check it out. I found all her greatest youtube moments. And I got Tina Fey pretending to be Sarah. I LOVE YOU TOO TINA http://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif And did you know that Sarah has a vlog? IT'S EFFING AWESOME!!!!! You have to watch it!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOO SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! http://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-kiss.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-kiss.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-kiss.gifhttp://dagblog.com/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-kiss.gif

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-02-2008, 08:25 PM
"donny, life does not stop and start at your convenience you miserable, peice of, shiiit"

oh, another one, another one!

Give me a whole bunch.

Please.

That was good too chuck. more. more. Totally bored out of my (i!) mind. Wait, is 69 fraking?

gambit
10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Whoawhoawhoa, is that serious or an act?

chuck
10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
It's a pisstake - found the link off TPM. Follow the link - the writer liveblogs the thing - very funny.

gambit
10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I thought so when I went to her "tribute" page, and it was full of videos of her interviews.

chuck
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Biden chokes up. (http://tpmtv.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/biden_chokes_up_recalling_fami.php)

Powerful moment - Biden delivers it well - watch the tracking graphs along the bottom - just flatline as soon as he finishes.

bas_I_am
10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Best part of the debate:

BIDEN: Now, with regard to the -- to the health care plan, you know, it's with one hand you giveth, the other you take it. You know how Barack Obama -- excuse me, do you know how John McCain pays for his $5,000 tax credit you're going to get, a family will get?
He taxes as income every one of you out there, every one of you listening who has a health care plan through your employer. That's how he raises $3.6 trillion, on your -- taxing your health care benefit to give you a $5,000 plan, which his Web site points out will go straight to the insurance company.
And then you're going to have to replace a $12,000 -- that's the average cost of the plan you get through your employer -- it costs $12,000. You're going to have to pay -- replace a $12,000 plan, because 20 million of you are going to be dropped. Twenty million of you will be dropped.
So you're going to have to place -- replace a $12,000 plan with a $5,000 check you just give to the insurance company. I call that the "Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere."

cured
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
My basic impression:

Ifill: Let's talk about the mortgage crisis...

Palin: Fuck that! I want to talk about energy! You know, the state I'm governor of, the state of Alaska, which has a lot of energy, Alaska does, we're the key to energy independence and...

Ifill: ...but I'm interested in your views on--

Palin: I don't want to answer your...'questions'...[maverick, 9/11, blah blah reform, energy, maverick, golly gee gosh darnit interlude]...what other things have been fact-checked and dispelled and how can I perpetuate them?

Biden: Look, your own people have said--

Palin:L No they didn't, it's a lie by the librul media. Golly gee when I'm in the poolhalls back home in Wasilla--that's in my home state of Alaska, the state where I'm Governor, in Alaska, they....*blah blah blah*

(and that's about the moment my mind started wandering)

Sean
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I wonder how much focus we'll see on the fact that Palin's strategy was to just change the subject to whatever she wanted whenever a question she had no answer to came up? She even flat out announced towards the head of the debate that she would be doing this. I thought that was pretty crazy.

The other things she should get skewered by Democrats on are 1 - her answer that she and McCain would not make any adjustments to their proposed policies as a result of the current economic crisis, and 2 - that she agreed with Cheney's theories on the expansion of Vice Presidential power. Those were both jaw-droppers for me.

gambit
10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey hey, she's not there to think. She's there to be pretty and folksy.