PDA

View Full Version : John McCain - American dumbass (sorry, couldn't resist)

gambit
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/15/1399191.aspx

So, John McCain says that "the fundamentals of the economy are strong," despite Lehman Brothers filing for bankruptcy, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in the crappers, Wall Street plummeting among many things. Then when Obama calls him out on it, McCain comes back with a "clarification" of what he meant by "fundamentals."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/15/1401952.aspx

"My opponents may disagree, but those fundamentals, the American worker and their innovation, their entrepreneurship, the small business, those are the fundamentals of America and I think they're strong," McCain said.

Oh, okay, so now if anyone says the economy is terrible, then they're saying the American worker is terrible. Nice.

Troy McClure
09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought about making a thread called John McCain - American Tragedy, but this is better. His attempt at a recovery is laughable. But I bet this will be used again when Obama slaps him around on the faltering economy.

Jason

chuck
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
"I think we have to look at the root cause of this problem as it began and that was the housing market and the housing market as you know, has still not continued its descent in home values," McCain said. "And so I think that the real turnaround will be when that shakes out and we begin to allow people to stay in their homes, be able to have a future that they know that the value of their home will gradually increase and they'll be able to realize the kind of future in their lives that the deserve and need."

Even for a politician - that's a whole heap of double-dipping, nonsensical, what the fuck are you smoking, type bullshit.

Tell me again how many homes he owns.

Troy McClure
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
9 properties according to public records.

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/political-pictures-john-mccain-george-bush-downloading-failed-policies.jpg

Jason

Troy McClure
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Here is Senator Obama being his badass self today in Pueblo, CO responding to McCain's backtracking on fundamentals. It looks like the video is from Countdown on MSNBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloV0OQK7IM

Jason

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I know and people say I'm[italics](bastards, (not you, Rebulican people)) I'm scary[end italics](just the "I'm scary"part).*

*dubman: I have copied this shit and will cont. to paste it if you move it.

dubman
09-16-2008, 09:02 AM
lol if you think that'll stop my gross abuses of power you are horribly mistaken.
i'll allow it though, just because.

anyway
i'm doing mental comparisons between how kerry would have handled this "economic fundamentals" exchange and i feel pretty relieved. kerry would have gone into why it was preposterous politically, as nobody would be seriously talking against "the american worker" so mccain would basically be admitting to a non statement... but obama stayed on message and kicked him in the ass twice for it.

goddamn cant the debates happen now please. tired of people letting mccain turn all kinds of shit into gold.

kagenaki koe
09-17-2008, 12:38 AM
this is what the current mccain campaign reminds me of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLBQxk72NY

and also Jon Lovitz's Pathological Liar character (can't find a vid of it online)

chuck
09-17-2008, 11:45 PM
And today it's revealed - the potential president invented the Blackberry!!

FTW!

It's either the invention of the Blackberry - or all of telecommunications (http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/HoltzEakin_McCain_helped_create_BlackBerry.html?sh owall) in general. The quote is vague enough to deny both.

Camiel
09-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Al Gore invented the internet.

Deckard
09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Sarah Palin invented... a lot of things actually.

kagenaki koe
09-18-2008, 02:27 AM
more McCain dumbassery:

http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/john-mccain-just-forget-where-spain-was.html

When asked about Spain and Zapatero, by a Spanish reporter for a Spanish newspaper, McCain responded about Mexico and Latin America. A reader suggested something that Josh had already considered, that perhaps McCain thought the reporter was talking about the Zapatistas in Mexico, the guerilla group. But that's not possible as the reporter clearly said she was talking about Spain and Spain's leader, Zapatero. She told McCain this twice. Let me tell you exactly what she asked McCain (per the translation):

"Senator, finally, let's talk about Spain. If you're elected president, would you invite President Zapatero to meet with you in the White House?"

McCain then gives this odd answer about America's friends and America's enemies. He also, oddly, talks about Mexico (why Mexico? The question was about Spain) and how he'd invite friendly leaders to the White House. She then asks him again, would that invitation include President Zapatero? He says again that he'd have to review relations first, blah blah. She then says again, "so you'd have to wait to see, so would you meet with him in the White House?" He again repeats his weird statement about friends and enemies. McCain also throws in, oddly, to the Spanish reporter, when she's asking him about meeting the Spanish president, a line about the importance of our relationship with Latin America (this is now the second time he answered a question about meeting the president of Spain with an answer about Latin America). She then says to McCain one last time:

"Okay, but I'm talking about Europe - the president of Spain, would you meet with him?"

This time, there was no room for confusion. McCain then gives this very bizarre answer:

"I will meet with any leader who has the same principles and philosophy as us in terms of human rights, democracy, and freedom and I will stand up to those who do not."

What does concern about human rights, democracy and freedom have to do with a prerequisite for meeting the president of Spain? Especially when you told the same paper 5 months ago that you'd be happy to meet with him.

Deckard
09-18-2008, 03:19 AM
A strangely evasive answer to a simple question.

I get the impression he'd been advised to stick to a certain line when it came to a certain topic.

Sean
09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
A great article about McCain's dirty campaigning in Time (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1842030,00.html) right now. Here are a couple excerpts:

McCain's lies have ranged from the annoying to the sleazy, and the problem is in both degree and kind. His campaign has been a ceaseless assault on his opponent's character and policies, featuring a consistent—and witting—disdain for the truth.

and:

Worse than the lies have been the smears. McCain ran a television ad claiming that Obama favored "comprehensive" sex education for kindergartners. (Obama favored a bill that would have warned kindergartners about sexual predators and improper touching.) The accusation that Obama was referring to Sarah Palin when he said McCain's effort to remarket his economic policies was putting "lipstick on a pig" was another clearly misleading attack — an obnoxious attempt to divert attention from Palin's lack of fitness for the job and the recklessness with which McCain chose her. McCain's assault on the "élite media" for spreading rumors about Palin's personal life — actually, the culprits were a few bloggers and the tabloid press — was more of the same. And that gets us close to the real problem here. The McCain camp has decided that its candidate can't win honorably, on the issues, so it has resorted to transparent and phony diversions.

and finally:

The good news is that the vile times may be ending. The coming debates will decide this race, and it isn't easy to tell lies when your opponent is standing right next to you. The Wall Street collapse demands a more sober campaign as well. But these dreadful weeks should not be forgotten. John McCain has raised serious questions about whether he has the character to lead the nation. He has defaced his beloved military code of honor. He has run a dirty campaign.

IsiliRunite
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Sarah Palin invented... a lot of things actually.

4,000 year old fossils. Or is that a fabrication?

nosajmunson
09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I want my daughter to grow up in a world where men and women are equal and gender bias does not exist.

John McCain doesn't seem to care about such things. His choice in VP as an example. John McCain picks an attractive, right wing, wolf shooting, oil loving, greedy nut job who has no business being in a position to run this country. He picks her simply so he can get the "Female Vote". I find this thought process that all women will vote for their ticket simply because a women is on it offensive.:mad:

As far as Sarah Palin..........well........if she is to become one of the most powerful women in the world, I might as well tell my daughter to look for inspiration from Martha Stewart. I feel Palin will try to turn the country into 1954 Suburbia, with her as the Ultimate June Cleaver. Funny though, she wasn't alive then, but her glasses were!:eek:

kagenaki koe
09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
John McCain: The Worst Week Ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/19/mccains-plan-for-health-c_n_127900.html

pile on!

Troy McClure
09-20-2008, 03:16 PM
'Thank John McCain' ad, made by some anonymous person. It's actually quite polished and could be a great 527 commercial with the right backing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJThPjvscFs

Jason

kagenaki koe
09-21-2008, 02:00 AM
McCain gets pwned1 again!

his stance (that he denies) on privatizing social security (including video clips):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/20/mccain-claimed-privatizat_n_127984.html

i think it's funny/ridiculous that the mccain camp is accusing obama of fear-mongering. ha!

gambit
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/22/dems-seize-on-mccains-13-cars-2/

The McCains own 13 cars. Not really dumbassery except that he's made past statements that he only buys American while owning a Honda and Volkswagen. Oops.

Obama owns one vehicle: a Ford Escape Hybrid.

Sean
09-22-2008, 10:20 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/22/dems-seize-on-mccains-13-cars-2/

The McCains own 13 cars. Not really dumbassery except that he's made past statements that he only buys American while owning a Honda and Volkswagen. Oops.

Obama owns one vehicle: a Ford Escape Hybrid.As much as I'd like this to have an effect, I can't believe it will. McCain's been peddling lies that are far more egregious than this that seem to have made little to no difference in the overall perceptions of him. It's almost as if he can blatantly lie with impunity.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
As much as I'd like this to have an effect, I can't believe it will. McCain's been peddling lies that are far more egregious than this that seem to have made little to no difference in the overall perceptions of him. It's almost as if he can blatantly lie with impunity.

I can't read the article. From this link nor directly from the link on CNN.

I LIKE McCain. Not so sure about who's playin' him.

BeautifulBurnout
09-22-2008, 11:10 AM
A new low in campaign techniques. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/sep/22/uselections2008.republicans)

nosajmunson
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
A new low in campaign techniques. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/sep/22/uselections2008.republicans)

My god. What scares me most is the Telemarketing calls.

"Hi, do you like Obama? Well, did you know he invented the Jihad?
Do you like him now?

"Did you know that if elected, Obama will help terrorists destroy the Statue of Liberty by placing bombs on your kids and strapping them to her torch. Then he'll blow up all your kids to bring lady liberty down.
Do you want to vote for him now?

John McCain hates Muslims and since all Muslims want to kill you, will you vote for McCain now? "

WHAT THE F*CK?
Do people really buy this stuff? Serisouly, can someone calling you and spouting fake nonsense really sway people to vote for McCain?

This is an all time low for this campaign, if not all of them.
But what's worse, the fact that these people make these calls and release these DVDs. Or the fact that the people receiving the calls & DVDs believe it and vote for McCain because of it?

kagenaki koe
09-24-2008, 06:17 PM
he should change his name to Meshawn, with a nice short memorable bumper sticker worthy slogan ME FIRST:

1. the tone of MY campaign is this way because obama didnt want to come to MY townhall debates

2. you're not allowed to talk to MY vp without MY consent. not even you alaskans.

3. I speak for all americans. WE are all georgians.

4. congress should'nt go on vacation. they should stay and fix this energy crisis right now. DO AS I SAY and not do as i do, which is to hardly ever show upto vote in congress.

5. i want to postpone both debates based on MY decision to finally show up and vote on the economic crisis. and if nobody else in congress finalizes the vote WHILE I'M THERE well then you would'nt be able to hold the debate WITHOUT ME. i make the damn schedules around here.

6. I'VE changed the definition of fundamentals of the economy. i've also changed the definitions of Truth Squad, Straight Talk Express, Vetting, Suspending my Campaign

7. I can do all this because I'VE spent 5 years in Hanoi just an FYI.

8. We wouldn't have needed this friday debate if Obama had done MY townhall meetings that I wnated him to attend.

9. I don't need to say anything for the first 45 minutes of the hourlong meeting that I said we needed to have. I am THAT important.

Sean
10-02-2008, 08:37 AM
So since I read news from all different sources, liberal and conservative alike, I get the occasional email from places I've done free registrations with to get access to stories. I just got this in an email from the National Review, a conservative publication:

Obama’s Radical Agenda Exposed

An Urgent Message from The National Republican Trust PAC

Dear Fellow American:
Never before in the history of our nation have we faced such a grave crisis: one of the most radical political figures ever to be nominated by a major party is just minutes away from becoming President of the United States.

That man is Barack Obama.He promises to change America forever. If elected, he will do just that — but in ways you make not like.

Remember Obama is the most liberal member of the United States Senate.

He received a 100 percent Liberal Rating from the National Journal, making him the most left-wing Senator in Washington — more liberal than even Democratic senators like Ted Kennedy.

If you look at Obama’s record, you will understand just how dangerous this man is.

He even has terrorist friends he won’t denounce. One such man is William Ayers, a leader in the radical terrorist group the Weatherman Underground. The group bombed several government buildings, including the Pentagon, killing civilians and police officers.

In 2001, Ayers said he had no regrets for his actions and wished he could have done more.

The ties between Obama and Ayers are tight. Both served on two non profit boards and they worked closely together. Ayers even hosted a political event at his home for Obama.

Obama has acknowledged he is a friend of Ayers and defends his association by saying he, Obama, was only 8 years old at the time of the Pentagon bombing.

However, Obama has no explanation as to why he is still a friend of Ayers.

Obama has even been endorsed by radicals such as Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan.

No one can deny hearing about Obama’s relationship with the America-hating Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

There should be little doubt that William Ayers and Louis Farrakhan and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright are rooting for Obama — because he is one of them.

In keeping with such friends, Obama has promised to meet with radical leaders like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad without “preconditions” even though Ahmadinejad has promised to “wipe Israel off the map” and “destroy” America.

Even radical Hamas terrorists have praised him.

“We like Mr. Obama and we hope he will win the election,” Ahmed Yousef, senior Hamas leader was quoted by ABC radio as saying.

Help the National Republican Trust PAC tell the truth about Obama – Go Here Now

Dangerous Economic Plan

And then there are Obama’s dangerous economic plans for America.
He wants to almost double the capital gains tax. He wants to strip the FICA tax cap off every worker making more than $97,500. He wants to increase the dividend tax. He wants to let the Bush tax cuts expire — giving almost every American family an automatic tax increase.

He has called for more than $800 billion in new spending programs.
He is so radical he even backed driver’s licenses for illegal aliens — even though such a move would help future terrorists move freely in the United States.

He is the most pro-abortion candidate in the history of the country. In 2001, as a state legislator in Illinois, he opposed a bill to protect live born children — children actually born alive! He was the only Illinois senator to speak out against the bill.

He opposes gun rights. He has long history of trying to deny ordinary citizens access to guns.

He originally backed Washington D.C.’s total ban on private handguns — a ban that was overturned. The NRA rated him an “F” on gun positions and says he is one of the most dangerous anti-gun politicians in the nation.

Never forget that Obama is a Harvard educated elitist. To him we Americans are simply “bitter” and he has mocked us saying “[they] cling to their guns and their religion.”

Support the National Republican Trust PAC’s Campaign to Expose Obama – Go Here Now

Exposing the Truth

Hillary Clinton was late in recognizing the threat Obama posed to her campaign, but once she did, her strategy worked.

When Hillary exposed Obama publicly, her campaign saw a major turnaround.

Hillary won every major state primary in the nation with the sole exception of Obama’s home state of Illinois.

And even though Obama was “anointed” by the media and Democratic elites, Hillary went on to win eight of the last 10 Democratic primaries.
How did Obama beat Hillary for the nomination?

Well, using a loophole in Democratic rules, he was able to rack up large majorities in caucus states where he outspent and out organized her.
But in large, contested states she won almost every time. Why? Because when Democrats heard what Obama really stood for, they turned on him.

Make no mistake about it: If we let Americans know the truth about Obama, John McCain can win this election!

But we must employ Hillary Clinton’s strategy.

We must expose Obama for the dangerous radical he is.

Send a donation today to help our cause – Go Here Now (https://webmail.spimageworks.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://newsmax.sparklist.com/t/8433971/25847988/773/0/)

You Can Make a Difference

This is why the National Republican Trust Political Action Committee is moving to implement a “shock and awe” strategy against Obama in key states.

We plan to take out powerful television ads, Internet ads and other communications to inform Americans about the dangers posed by Barack Obama.

We plan to target key states that can make a difference — But we need your help to do it.

As a political action committee, we can accept up to $5,000 in donations per contributor.

A $5,000 donation can help us saturate a key market for a full day with television ads.

But if you can’t do the full amount, even $2,500 or $1,000 or $500 — Any amount you can afford will help (https://webmail.spimageworks.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://newsmax.sparklist.com/t/8433971/25847988/773/0/).

Stop and think how much Obama may cost you and your family in new taxes over the next four years alone: $50,000, $75,000, $100,000 or even more.

Your donation today may actually save you much more in the years to come.

Please help today – Donate by Going Here Now (https://webmail.spimageworks.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://newsmax.sparklist.com/t/8433971/25847988/773/0/)

It will most certainly help our great nation.
Thank you.
Yours for America,
Scott Wheeler
Executive Director

Pretty disgusting stuff.

BeautifulBurnout
10-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Pretty disgusting stuff.

Disgusting is an understatement.

Still, the only thing that comforts me a little is that there is nothing new in this sh*te - this has all been regurgitated on blogs and message boards for months in one form or another, although this is the first time I have seen every single smear mashed together in a single attack-piece.

I am waiting for the October Surprises from both sides. If this rehashed rubbish is all the Repugnicans have got, then they are in trouble...

dubman
10-02-2008, 08:56 AM
haha sean thats the national review tho.. they're pretty bizarre.

Sean
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
haha sean thats the national review tho.. they're pretty bizarre.It's the "shock and awe" strategy they talk about implementing that makes me uncomfortable. One big, organized push to try selling these lies to the ignorant and/or bigoted one last time before election day.

Who am I kidding...."one last time"? As if they won't try many times between now and then....

Deckard
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Obama makes McCain very uncomfortable (http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/beyond/2008/10/obama-makes-mccain-very-uncomf.html)

Let the record reflect that Barack Obama made the approach to John McCain tonight.

As the two shared the Senate floor tonight for the first time since they won their party nominations, Obama stood chatting with Democrats on his side of the aisle, and McCain stood on the Republican side of the aisle.

So Obama crossed over into enemy territory.

He walked over to where McCain was chatting with Republican Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida and Independent Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut. And he stretched out his arm and offered his hand to McCain.

McCain shook it, but with a “go away” look that no one could miss. He tried his best not to even look at Obama.

Finally, with a tight smile, McCain managed a greeting: “Good to see you.”

Obama got the message. He shook hands with Martinez and Lieberman — both of whom greeted him more warmly — and quickly beat a retreat back to the Democratic side.

He really doesn't like him, does he? :rolleyes:

gambit
10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Obama makes McCain very uncomfortable (http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/beyond/2008/10/obama-makes-mccain-very-uncomf.html)

Let the record reflect that Barack Obama made the approach to John McCain tonight.

As the two shared the Senate floor tonight for the first time since they won their party nominations, Obama stood chatting with Democrats on his side of the aisle, and McCain stood on the Republican side of the aisle.

So Obama crossed over into enemy territory.

He walked over to where McCain was chatting with Republican Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida and Independent Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut. And he stretched out his arm and offered his hand to McCain.

McCain shook it, but with a “go away” look that no one could miss. He tried his best not to even look at Obama.

Finally, with a tight smile, McCain managed a greeting: “Good to see you.”

Obama got the message. He shook hands with Martinez and Lieberman — both of whom greeted him more warmly — and quickly beat a retreat back to the Democratic side.

He really doesn't like him, does he? :rolleyes:Bwahaha, I was just skimming some of the comments for that article, and one person called Obama a socialist and another called him a capitalist pig.

gambit
10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
McCain pulls out of Michigan. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081002/pl_politico/22895;_ylt=Avdh3jS2hAiLgjn.QDN57ptsnwcF)

Put that one into the Obama column.

nosajmunson
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
McCain pulls out of Michigan. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081002/pl_politico/22895;_ylt=Avdh3jS2hAiLgjn.QDN57ptsnwcF)

Put that one into the Obama column.

When I first heard this, I thought Michigan was McCain's mistress.
Then I realized he was pulling out of the state.
Silly me.

stimpee
10-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Very interesting article at Rolling Stone magazine on McCain's history:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick/print

"In its broad strokes, McCain's life story is oddly similar to that of the current occupant of the White House. John Sidney McCain III and George Walker Bush both represent the third generation of American dynasties. Both were born into positions of privilege against which they rebelled into mediocrity. Both developed an uncanny social intelligence that allowed them to skate by with a minimum of mental exertion. Both struggled with booze and loutish behavior. At each step, with the aid of their fathers' powerful friends, both failed upward. And both shed their skins as Episcopalian members of the Washington elite to build political careers as self-styled, ranch-inhabiting Westerners who pray to Jesus in their wives' evangelical churches."

kagenaki koe
10-04-2008, 01:17 PM
did you guys know that John McCain listens to a lot of Ying Yang Twins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r8hhShMyZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFibmFLWmC0

Strangelet
10-04-2008, 01:47 PM
did you guys know that John McCain listens to a lot of Ying Yang Twins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r8hhShMyZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFibmFLWmC0

omg. that is sooo my new ringtone

Deckard
10-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Now this was an intriguing read (http://obama.senate.gov/letter/060206-sen_obama_and_sen_mccain_exchange_letters_on_ethic s_reform/). Letters exchanged between Obama and McCain from 2006.

A cordial inoffensive letter from Obama is met with a passive-aggressive strop from McCain. What a dick.

I'm only surprised the phrase 'young upstart' wasn't mentioned.

It would certainly go some way to explaining the frostiness on display from McCain during the recent debate.

BeautifulBurnout
10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Very interesting article at Rolling Stone magazine on McCain's history:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick/print

Yes - caught this one on Thursday. Really worth a thorough read through, although it is quite long, as it really shines a light on the true nature of this man, and, in particular, his POW record. Of particular interest to me was the USS Forrestal incident. True colours and all that...

Sean
10-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, now we know what McCain has planned (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/03/AR2008100303738_pf.html)for the final month of campaigning:

Sen. John McCain and his Republican allies are readying a newly aggressive assault on Sen. Barack Obama's character, believing that to win in November they must shift the conversation back to questions about the Democrat's judgment, honesty and personal associations, several top Republicans said.

...A senior campaign official called the ad "just the beginning" of commercials that will "strike the new tone" in the campaign's final days. The official said the "aggressive tone" will center on the question of "whether this guy is ready to be president."

...Two other top Republicans said the new ads are likely to hammer the senator from Illinois on his connections to convicted Chicago developer Antoin "Tony" Rezko and former radical William Ayres, whom the McCain campaign regularly calls a domestic terrorist because of his acts of violence against the U.S. government in the 1960s.

The Obama camp's response:

“On a day after we learned that America lost three-quarters of a million jobs this year and a week after our financial system teetered on the brink of collapse, John McCain and his campaign have announced that they want to ‘turn the page’ on the economic crisis facing working families and spend the last month of this election launching dishonest, dishonorable character attacks against Barack Obama. We understand that it’s not easy for John McCain to defend the worst economic record of our lifetime, but he will have to explain to the people struggling to pay their bills and stay in their homes why he would rather spend his time tearing down Barack Obama than laying out a plan to build up our economy,” said Obama-Biden Spokesman Bill Burton.

gambit
10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, when you got nothing to run on, you butcher your opponent.

King of Snake
10-05-2008, 12:43 AM
god the republicans are getting desperate aren't they?
I can't even understand how anyone would vote for someone who is openly announcing that the only way they can win your vote is by launching a smear campaign against the other guy.
What McCain gonna do when he's in the white house? Launch smear campaigns against Al Qaida and global warming?

kagenaki koe
10-05-2008, 01:09 AM
I can't even understand how anyone would vote for someone who is openly announcing that the only way they can win your vote is by launching a smear campaign against the other guy.

he's banking on getting the votes of people who view any kind of news as the evil liberal media elite.

cacophony
10-05-2008, 01:35 AM
the modern republican campaign cashes in on the portion of the population that views itself as perpetually victimized. the people who still believe, "if they're not nice to me it's just because they're jealous." the internet trolls of the population, who believe that if they don't get their way anything is fair game. it's a deliberate positioning that appeals to your sense of entitlement and the defensiveness that resents anyone who might think they're better than you.

it's why you see the kind of campaign tactics that they've used for the last 3 or 4 elections. it's why a network like fox news can exist, when there's no liberal counterpart. it's why insane conservative radio and TV pundits get mad ratings but air america can't keep itself financially solvent. the republicans have tapped this particular segment of the population and they own it so wholly that they can confidently launch attack ads based on total fallacies and still maintain a voting base.

BeautifulBurnout
10-05-2008, 04:50 AM
he's banking on getting the votes of people who view any kind of news as the evil liberal media elite.

Yes. In a lot of the columns trolled by hard-core repubs, it took me a while to work out what this MSM was they were cursing about all the time - I couldn't understand why they had such an issue with internet messaging until I realised that it was the Main Stream Media, which they indeed accuse of being evil and liberal. For these guys, they will pay no attention to, for example, the way Palin performed in her interviews, or any negative information about McCain because the "MSM" are all part of a fiendish conspiracy to ensure that the Dems get in.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

cacophony
10-05-2008, 05:23 AM
republicans also get off on the idea that they see the truth that everyone else is too stupid to see.

i remember after GWB took us into iraq and it became clear there were no WMDs i spoke to a handful of republicans who admitted that they knew there was no terrorism link to iraq but they thought GWB was brilliant for managing to convince the unwashed masses that there was. it's as though they convinced themselves that the lies were okay, as long as they identified the lies and felt like they were part of a minority of people that was smart enough to know the truth.

Sean
10-05-2008, 10:00 AM
god the republicans are getting desperate aren't they?
What McCain gonna do when he's in the white house? Launch smear campaigns against Al Qaida and global warming?The wife and I were out for dinner last night with a few people, one of whom is a Republican that supports McCain. She says she'll be voting for him because she thinks Democrats will be bad for the economy and won't keep us as safe as Republicans will. I'm not sure how she concludes these things based on our current situation, especially considering that she's a very intelligent person.

And even more surprising to me, she defends Palin by saying she's been unfairly targetted by the media. She says nothing about Palin being unable to answer extremely basic questions in interviews though. Go figure.:rolleyes:

But luckily, it doesn't matter. We live in California where her vote is basically meaningless in the face of an overwhelmingly Democratic population.

Deckard
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM
the modern republican campaign cashes in on the portion of the population that views itself as perpetually victimized. the people who still believe, "if they're not nice to me it's just because they're jealous." the internet trolls of the population, who believe that if they don't get their way anything is fair game. it's a deliberate positioning that appeals to your sense of entitlement and the defensiveness that resents anyone who might think they're better than you.

it's why you see the kind of campaign tactics that they've used for the last 3 or 4 elections. it's why a network like fox news can exist, when there's no liberal counterpart. it's why insane conservative radio and TV pundits get mad ratings but air america can't keep itself financially solvent. the republicans have tapped this particular segment of the population and they own it so wholly that they can confidently launch attack ads based on total fallacies and still maintain a voting base.
So true. And the ironic thing is, it's the same people who are so quick to denounce and sneer at the victim mentality of women, Muslims, African-Americans, etc and put it all down to the great liberal conspiracy. It's more than a little telling that, so often, these are people who are curiously more infuriated by silly but well-meant examples of political correctness than by the longstanding and deep-seated discrimination that political correctness (however clumsily) seeks to address. I can't help it, I just feel a deep loathing for anyone who prioritizes in that way, who is more bothered by and motivated to harp on about "pandering to these minorities" and "PC-gone-mad" than by actual discrimination, by violence against women, by continued salary inequality, by racism in all its forms...

I'm going to stop there or I could fill the thread up with this particular rant!

Deckard
10-05-2008, 11:16 AM
On McCain, I was thinking to myself earlier, I wonder how different his tactics would be now if his presidential campaign was following 8 years of failed Democratic rule instead of GOP rule, and if the Dems didn't have a particularly strong candidate running against him? If he was scoring substantially better than the opposition. Would he have stooped so low? Would he still be so widely respected? I suspect no and yes in that order.

And does that mean that, in that hypothetical situation, we simply wouldn't have known the real McCain?

cacophony
10-05-2008, 01:37 PM
So true. And the ironic thing is, it's the same people who are so quick to denounce and sneer at the victim mentality of women, Muslims, African-Americans, etc and put it all down to the great liberal conspiracy. It's more than a little telling that, so often, these are people who are curiously more infuriated by silly but well-meant examples of political correctness than by the longstanding and deep-seated discrimination that political correctness (however clumsily) seeks to address. I can't help it, I just feel a deep loathing for anyone who prioritizes in that way, who is more bothered by and motivated to harp on about "pandering to these minorities" and "PC-gone-mad" than by actual discrimination, by violence against women, by continued salary inequality, by racism in all its forms...

I'm going to stop there or I could fill the thread up with this particular rant!

i had to laugh because you described it to a T. it's a group of people populated by white men who vehemently oppose anything that smacks of affirmative action, citing the "unfairness" of the "reverse racism" of these systems. nevermind the entrenched racial disparity that prevents equality from spontaneously manifesting *poof*. middle class white men who never had to doubt that they would be able to go to college and find a white collar job to support their 2.5 kids, bitching about the idea that maybe we could give others a leg up because "it's not fair."

i, too, could fill this thread with my rant.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
*poof*.

I think you spelled it wrong. Smartass.

cacophony
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I think you spelled it wrong. Smartass.

lol?

bas_I_am
10-06-2008, 07:57 AM
The wife and I were out for dinner last night with a few people, one of whom is a Republican that supports McCain. She says she'll be voting for him because she thinks Democrats will be bad for the economy and won't keep us as safe as Republicans will. I'm not sure how she concludes these things based on our current situation, especially considering that she's a very intelligent person.

And even more surprising to me, she defends Palin by saying she's been unfairly targetted by the media. She says nothing about Palin being unable to answer extremely basic questions in interviews though. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I have a couple of friends who are of a similar bent. Everytime I ask them to justify, I get superficial arguments. The only thing I can determine is their leanings are somehow instinctual and emotional. There is no fact that will ever sway them.

Deckard
10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
The only thing I can determine is their leanings are somehow instinctual and emotional. There is no fact that will ever sway them.
I think it's pretty self-evident to anyone who's followed (never mind studied) politics for a while that the Republicans - compared to the Dems -are much more adept and experienced at resorting to smears and aggression and one-liners and simplistic appeals to fear and ignorance and ensuring their candidates are people "you'd like to have a beer with" and corny emotive warmth... folksy shucks darn tootin' you betcha. As tactics, they work; their target audience are more receptive to it. It's why, to many Republican supporters, the terms effete and intellectual and elite have become virtually interchangeable as insults. It's why many progressives were so utterly disgusted with Hillary when she chose to adopt similar tactics for her leadership campaign.

(We could open this out to other embarrassing (in a PC/taboo sort of way) yet undeniable overall correlations involving level of education or propensity to religion, but it'll go way off-topic)

Certainly I would never be as crass as to suggest all Republicans or Republican voters are wired up that way. But we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't recognize the correlation of the conservative mindset to the emotional/instinctual way of "thinking". It's exactly the same here in Britain, with those reactionary dog-whistle issues that get conservatives responding from some lower part of their brain. There are a handful of conservative politicians and commentators who, to me at least, appear to buck that trend, but it would be silly to pretend they're not in the minority.

There was something in the news only a few weeks ago that detailed how a propensity to a certain political outlook (conservative/liberal) could be more hard-wired into our brains than we realise. Similar to what was posited a couple of years back, but was criticized at the time for its generalizations.

I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Deckard
10-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Back to McCain... this, highlighted on Mike Tomasky's blog, says it all...

John McCain on public television, February 21:

"Uh, I, I just have to rely on the good judgment of the voters not to buy into these negative attack ads. Sooner or later, people are going to figure out if all you run is negative attack ads you don't have much of a vision for the future or you're not ready to articulate it."

The record shows, of course, that right now, as Greg Sargent wrote at TPM (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/mccain_campaigns_ad_spending_n.php) last week:
The McCain campaign has now shifted virtually 100 percent of his national ad spending into negative ads attacking Obama, a detailed breakdown of his ad buys reveals.By contrast, the Obama campaign is devoting less than half of its overall ad spending to ads attacking McCain. More than half of its spending is going to a spot that doesn't once mention his foe.

And this quote from Mike...

Here's a prediction for you. If McCain loses, sometime next year -- he'll let some time pass; say, late next summer, during a slow news week -- he'll choose a sympathetic interviewer and come forward, hat in hand, offer an apology for the kind of campaign he ran, swearing that it was all out of character not reflective of his true self, and deeply, deeply regrets the kinds of things modern-day politics "forces" candidates to do. Another prediction: Some suckers in the media will eat it up, too.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Deckard;103313]...and one-liners and simplistic appeals to fear and ignorance and ensuring their candidates are

Frak You Deckard. And not in a good way.

Deckard
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
:confused:

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
:confused:

Just kidding. The voices in my head tell me I'm a great one-liner kinda guy.

Sean
10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Wow. McCain was not kidding about going after Obama's character. So far we've seen Palin bring up Ayers, Wright, and claim that Obama is unpatriotic and "pals around with terrorists", and now McCain has really started laying into him too (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/06/mccain-to-get-more-aggressive-who-is-the-real-barack-obama/).

I can't imagine this will play well with voters who are watching the financial state of the country continuing to deteriorate. It's just so blatantly obvious that McCain's trying to direct attention elsewhere. But as always, I've been surprised by how people respond to this kind of crap before...

Deckard
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm hoping it's too late for any of this stuff to work now. Obama's already come through the Clinton attacks, the Reverend Wright stuff. If anyone was going to switch allegiance based on those things, they'd have done it ages ago.

At least that's what I hope.

Just kidding. The voices in my head tell me I'm a great one-liner kinda guy.
Ah I see.

It's the way you tell 'em, jOHN!

BeautifulBurnout
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm hoping it's too late for any of this stuff to work now. Obama's already come through the Clinton attacks, the Reverend Wright stuff. If anyone was going to switch allegiance based on those things, they'd have done it ages ago.

At least that's what I hope.

Well, none of this seems to be having a detrimental effect on the poll. Real Clear Politics are showing Obama with a 6.4% lead at the moment, including a lead in all the battleground states. I am hoping none of this shit will stick.

dubman
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
well this is going to be fun in a death-throes, take-you-down-with-me way

on one hand, it could be framed so that people will get *tired* of talking about how fucked we are in the economy, and will more than welcome the dirt n scandal that smear campaigns try to make legitimate.

or this is the sad hail mary that'll be too transparent to ignore, and mccain's next debate is going to feature a few strong words that could make either candidate look bad depending on how they're handled. ol' crustus doesnt have much left to lose, but he hasnt lost the race by any means, so now it's all about seeing if he'll crack

i hope it's sufficiently transparent that people would be at least disappointed at mcfudders' cynicism. the idea to publicy announce that they're running a smear campaign is a hopeful sign...

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
*tired*

You're on my mind too.

Deckard
10-07-2008, 05:08 AM
McCain just keeps sinking lower and lower in my estimation. At a rally yesterday afternoon:

At one point, McCain asked, “Who is the real Barack Obama?” A member of the crowd yelled out, “a terrorist!” McCain paused while the audience laughed at the comment, and then continued with his attack — without condemning or admonishing the audience member.

(Watch it here (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/06/mccain-obama-terrorist/).)

Which mirrors his running mate's non-response (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/06/in_fla_palin_goes_for_the_roug.html) yesterday when an audience member yelled the words "Kill him!". :rolleyes:

Combined with the rot spewing from the mouths of the McCain and Palin themselves (in particular, the terrorism-linking, and the "Obama's not like you and I" veiled racism) I just hope McCain's notorious temper is revealed to the world in this upcoming debate. Perhaps I've got a short memory, but I don't even recall Bush being this negative back in 2004. And to think back to the Democrat convention when Obama sought to rise above it by insisting that neither candidate should question the intentions, the honour or the patriotism of the other - that both should take that as a given.

How desperate must McCain be right now?

nosajmunson
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Perhaps I've got a short memory, but I don't even recall Bush being this negative back in 2004.........

How desperate must McCain be right now?

It got ugly in 2004, but Bush had Rove to thank for that. They were sly.
They didn't use as many direct slander attacks, but didn't condem those who did.
They always had that layer of separation, even though the "mud-slingers" were usually associated with Bush/Cheney/Rove/etc. somehow.

McCain should have been the Republicant canidate in 2000. I didn't like him then, but he was nothing like this.

But let's put this in perspective. George W.(The W stands for Dumb Ass) Bush beat out McCain in 2000.

We've all seen what W has done for the past 8 years. And he is the guy who bested McCain. Now McCain is running and willing to do anything to win. No attack is too low. No lie is too untruthful.

Now this Obama knows terrorist garbage. (My grandfather worked directly for Jimmy Hoffa up until Hoffa died, a year before I was born, so does that have anything to do with me? NO)
Plus this "He is not like you & I".
That just plays to the jackasses out there that call him Obama Bin Laden or the White Robe & Cross Buring fools left in this country. That's the kind of voters you are desperate to get? What's next for McCain
"Vote for me, or Obama will have sex with your daughters. And once they go black.......You don't want that!"

Sean
10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Even Rove has been saying that McCain's gone too far. Of course I expect him to say that about the Dems, but when he says it about the Republican candidate, then you know you're neck deep in crap.

gambit
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
McCain was a member of group that was all sorts of terrible (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/why-mccains-time-with-cou_n_132470.html)

Since Sunday, Democrats have been buzzing about the re-revelation that during the 1980s, Sen. John McCain served on the board of a far-right conservative organization that had supplied arms and funds to paramilitary organizations in Latin America.

Democratic strategist Paul Begala lit the fire when, during an appearance on Meet the Press, he warned that this relatively obscure detail from McCain's past could draw him into a guilt-by-association game he was bound to regret.

"John McCain sat on the board of...the U.S. Council for World Freedom," said Begala, "The Anti-Defamation League, in 1981 when McCain was on the board, said this about this organization. It was affiliated with the World Anti-Communist League - the parent organization - which ADL said 'has increasingly become a gathering place, a forum, a point of contact for extremists, racists and anti-Semites.'"

But McCain's involvement in the U.S. Council for World Freedom, which extended from 1981 through, possibly, 1986 is significant -- not merely because it ties him to unsavory characters but because it firmly associates him with a foreign policy that was, at the time and still, controversial.

According to a March 1989 Washington Post article, the USCWF coordinated funding efforts with sources in Taiwan and South Korea to help contras in Nicaragua purchase some $5 million worth of arms. The group was charged with operating a plane that was shot down while flying supplies to these very same rebels. The council, according to a 1986 New York Times report, "provided $10 million to $25 million in cash and 'in-kind' aid: four to eight small aircraft (''non gun-mounted'') to the contras, boots to rebels fighting Soviet troops in Afghanistan, $20,000 in medicines to Cambodian resistance forces, and help for groups in Mozambique, Ethiopia and other countries." Singlaub and the council also reportedly provided Neo Hom and other factions of the Lao resistance with aid in the form of clothing and medicine - aid that the group subsequently turned into a scheme to raise fund from refugees.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-08-2008, 08:48 AM
you're neck deep in crap.*

*Please refer to Crunch thread for a better definition.

Sean
10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, McCain certainly is exploring all possible angles with this Ayers crap. It's apparently no longer an issue of Obama serving on a charitable foundation's board with the ex-terrorist - now it's all about Obama's honesty:

“We need to know the full extent of the relationship, because of whether Sen. Obama is telling the truth to the American people or not. That’s the question.”

(McCain) says he doesn’t care about “an old washed-up terrorist,” but cares that Obama has referred to him as “a guy who lives in my neighborhood.”

So does McCain really want to get into a debate over who's been telling the tallest tales in this election?

Obama camp's response:

“It’s now clear that John McCain would rather launch angry, personal attacks than talk about the economy or defend his risky bailout scheme that hands over billions in taxpayer dollars to the same irresponsible Wall Street banks and lenders that got us into this mess – a scheme that guarantees taxpayers will lose money. While Barack Obama ensured that the rescue plan that passed Congress protects taxpayers and homeowners, John McCain’s scheme has been panned by experts and observers from across the political spectrum”

Deckard
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Angry certainly appears to be the right word.

This is obviously going for the person rather than the policy, but still worrying nonetheless...

'McCain immediately turned to the woman and said between clenched teeth: 'DON'T TOUCH ME.' The woman started to explain...McCain interrupted her: 'DON'T TOUCH ME,' he repeated viciously. The woman again tried to explain. 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO?' McCain continued, his voice rising and his hands now raised in the 'bring it on' position. He was red-faced. By this time all the action at the table had stopped. I was completely shocked."

McCain Exploded With Rage During Gambling Outing (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/09/report-mccain-exploded-wi_n_133242.html)

I notice Biden has today been challenging McCain to look at Obama in the eye and say the things he has to say to him. I can see the tactics behind that.

nosajmunson
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
So, these are the folks that believe McCain's rhetoric about Obama being a terrorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us

Both of these videos are distrubing to me for countless reasons.
But, one thing sticks out more than anything.
Since when is being a Muslim a crime? (Or Gay for that matter) Do McCain supporters (roughly half the nation) really believe that if your a Muslim, you are a terrorist?

Does McCain and his camp not realize that by doing this, they are stirring up a big boiling pot of hate and biggotry. If they win, then they turn that into policy. If they lose, their followers become bitter and a new wave of hate spreads through America against Muslims.

It would seem that Muslim is the new "Black" and Gay is the new "Jew" to the Republicants.
Didn't Rush FatFuck Limbaugh say racisim is dead in this country because Obama was nominated. Seems pretty alive and well. And it seems to stem from the Republicant side of the isle.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
So, these are the folks that believe McCain's rhetoric about Obama being a terrorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEucdhf4Us

Both of these videos are distrubing to me for countless reasons.
But, one thing sticks out more than anything.
Since when is being a Muslim a crime? (Or Gay for that matter) Do McCain supporters (roughly half the nation) really believe that if your a Muslim, you are a terrorist?

Does McCain and his camp not realize that by doing this, they are stirring up a big boiling pot of hate and biggotry. If they win, then they turn that into policy. If they lose, their followers become bitter and a new wave of hate spreads through America against Muslims.

It would seem that Muslim is the new "Black" and Gay is the new "Jew" to the Repulicants.
Didn't Rush FatFuck Limbaugh say racisim is dead in this country because Obama was nominated. Seems pretty alive and well. And it seems to stem from the Republicant side of the isle.

Have you been smoking pot?

nosajmunson
10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Have you been smoking pot?

No, but maybe that's my problem. Need to roll up a big fatty blunt so I can dull my senses........

Obama is NOT a terrorist.
Being a Muslim does NOT mean you are a terrorist.

The 20th Century was filled with intolerance, hate and violence towards the people of Jewish faith. (All throughout histroy really, but 1934-1945 was the worst)
The past 3 centuries (in this country at least), have been filled with hate, prejudice, and violence against African Americans.

The 21st Century really is shaping up like the last one. We are just adding Homosexuality and Muslims to the list of State Sponsored intolerance.
First W Bush wanting to BAN gay marriage. And now McCain fanning the flames out hate towards Muslims.

Those 2 youtube videos I posted scare the shit out of me because those people are not the fringe element of the Republicants. That's the everyday "Joe Sixpack".

Sean
10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
And more on McCain's scary mob-like crowds (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/09/AR2008100903169_pf.html) today:

....In recent days, a campaign that embraced the mantra of "Country First" but is flagging in the polls and scrambling for a way to close the gap as the nation's economy slides into shambles has found itself at the center of an outpouring of raw emotion rare in a presidential race.

"There's 26 days and people are looking at the very serious possibility that there's a chance that Obama might get in, and they don't like that," said Ian Eltrich, 28, as he filed out of the crowded sports complex.

"I'm mad! I'm really mad!" another man said, taking the microphone and refusing to surrender it easily, even when McCain tried to agree with him.

"I'm not done. Lemme finish, please," he said after a standing ovation. "When you have Obama, [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi and the rest of the hooligans up there going to run the country, we have to have our head examined.

"It's time that you two represent the rest of us. So go get 'em."

The crowd burst into loud chants of "U-S-A! U-S-A!"

Standing at the center of the crowd, McCain and Palin drew on the crowd's energy as they repeatedly trained their fire on Obama....

Absolutely, f@*#ing scary.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
And more on [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/09/AR2008100903169_pf.html"]
" "When you have Obama, [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi and the rest of the hooligans up there going to run the country, [/I]

uuuuhhhh. And who's been doing what the past 8 years?

"....our denial......our denial..." (still looping)

Deckard
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
This sounds horrible to bring up, but the more McCain stokes (or fails to quell) this mob anger, the greater Obama's chances of getting shot. There must be a fair number of assholes out there who would genuinely think they were doing America a favour by taking out the traitor, the foreigner, the other.

Just think back to JFK - even he didn't receive this much hostility.

And to state the obvious, he was white.

Really, if anything ever happens - and there's a real chance it could - McCain is going to have some serious soul-searching to do, based on his behaviour at the moment.

BeautifulBurnout
10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
"I'm mad! I'm really mad!" another man said, taking the microphone and refusing to surrender it easily, even when McCain tried to agree with him.

"I'm not done. Lemme finish, please," A missed "don't taze me bro!" moment if ever there was one. :D

This sounds horrible to bring up, but the more McCain stokes (or fails to quell) this mob anger, the greater Obama's chances of getting shotYes it is horrible to think about and yes I think it is a possibility. But it would also lead to nigh-on civil war if it happened. Everything is in place for social unrest, with the credit crunch, as it is. There was an interesting topic in the Grauniad yesterday about Cultural Civil War (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/oct/09/uselections2008.barackobama). Heck, they even have the military in place to fight the rioters too.

(God. I am suddenly thinking about nasty nasty dystopian futures triggered by government plots to kill their opponents. :eek: - I think I need another beer.)

Strangelet
10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
(God. I am suddenly thinking about nasty nasty dystopian futures triggered by government plots to kill their opponents. :eek: - I think I need another beer.)

i know. i wonder where myshkin is hanging out... he could be interesting ight about now.

Sean
10-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Well to McCain's credit, he's finally realized what's happening and started pushing back a bit:

After days of watching in silence, McCain calms the crowd at his Minnesota town meeting.

“I want everyone to be respectful. And let’s make sure we are, because that’s the way politics is done in America.”

Tells one supporter who says he’s scared of an Obama presidency: “I have to tell you, he is a decent person, a person that you do not have to be scared [of] as president of the United States.”

After a woman calls Obama “an Arab,” McCain interrupts to say: “No, ma’am. He is a decent family man, citizen.”

I mean, I still wonder why it's so acceptable to assume that being an "ay-rab" is inherently a bad thing, but at least he said something....

BeautifulBurnout
10-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Things are beginning to get out of hand, and I am pretty sure he doesn't want to be associated with these loonies (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10660404) at all.

And also he must have an eye on the polls too. After the last debate Obama was back down to about 4.5% lead according to Real Clear Politics. In the past two days he has gone up to 6.6%.

Deckard
10-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Well to McCain's credit, he's finally realized what's happening and started pushing back a bit:

After days of watching in silence, McCain calms the crowd at his Minnesota town meeting.

“I want everyone to be respectful. And let’s make sure we are, because that’s the way politics is done in America.”

Tells one supporter who says he’s scared of an Obama presidency: “I have to tell you, he is a decent person, a person that you do not have to be scared [of] as president of the United States.”

After a woman calls Obama “an Arab,” McCain interrupts to say: “No, ma’am. He is a decent family man, citizen.”

I mean, I still wonder why it's so acceptable to assume that being an "ay-rab" is inherently a bad thing, but at least he said something....
A moral retreat - or a tactical retreat?

To paraphrase: who is the real John McCain?

Strangelet
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM

i'm just glad the wife is nose deep in work right now otherwise I'd be watching a jet vapor trail off back to canada.

Fucking rednecks. read a book.

Sean
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
A moral retreat - or a tactical retreat?

To paraphrase: who is the real John McCain?Brilliant.

kagenaki koe
10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Well to McCain's credit, he's finally realized what's happening and started pushing back a bit

i don't think it should have taken that long to realize what was happening. it's easier to realize it when even republicans and conservatives are complaining about it in the media.

Sean
10-10-2008, 11:46 PM
i don't think it should have taken that long to realize what was happening. it's easier to realize it when even republicans and conservatives are complaining about it in the media.Agreed 100%. The part that I give him credit for is that to me, in a few shots where he's been answering his audience's questions, he looks truly disappointed that they're saying Obama's an Arab, or that he scares them. He's not blatant about it, but it's there. He screwed up royally by picking Sarah Palin - because I think she's the foundation of this angry mob mentality - and I think he's truly realizing that it has sent his campaign blazing into a set of tactics that he has always denounced until now. So at least it seems to me there's some genuine remorse behind today's quotes from him. Although I'm sure a good portion of it is also disappointment as he realizes he's probably blown the election.

kagenaki koe
10-11-2008, 12:08 AM
from talkingpointsmemo:

There's something else to note too. Over the last 48 hours several name brand Republicans have come out and either chided or denounced McCain's borderline incitement. And given how taboo it is to level such criticism of your own nominee at this stage of the election you have to assume these criticisms were only the tip of the iceberg, with a far more intense and angry barrage of criticism voiced privately.

The first passage to watch starts at 25 seconds in. A participant tells McCain he's "scared" of any Obama presidency and McCain responds that he "is a decent person and a person you do not have to be scared [of] as President of the United States."

Those are the words. But look at the facial expressions. McCain looks down as he says it and has the countenance of someone who been forced to tell someone else they're sorry. There's some mix of gritting your teeth and saying something you don't want to say mixed with some sort of shamefacedness. Look at the video. Because while I feel like I intuitively 'get' the gestures I find it hard to quite capture them in words. Perhaps you'll do better and you can share your thoughts with me.

In the next clip McCain is speaking up close with a woman in the audience who says she can't trust Obama and then blurts out that it's because he's "Arab". Some reports have it that she said 'Arab terrorist'. But at least on this tape only 'Arab' is audible.

McCain shakes his head, as though losing his patience and snatches the mic back out of woman's hands. "No, Ma'am. No, Ma'am. He's a decent family man, citizen, that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues." Again, there's a lot there when you actually see the video. And I encourage you to watch.

I get from his expression a sense of a man that is, in addition to all the other things he's angry about, is frustrated or angry at the situation he's gotten himself into. But he has sown the wind and now he's reaping the whirlwind. "Even," says TPM Reader RB, "as he says 'You don't have to be scared of an Obama presidency' to a handful of followers (and, more importantly, of national reporters), he is spending millions to bombard as many people as he can with the ad named "Dangerous". The small hand giveth, and the large hand taketh away."

And yet this conveys too much suggestion of planning and intent. I have more the sense of someone desperately casting about and losing control of the situation itself. Even hypocrites can get in over their heads. Indeed, in a more nuts-and-bolts strategic sense McCain has really gotten himself into a hole because the campaign he's been running has almost entirely been premised on the claim that you should be scared of an Obama presidency. Not that McCain, if he'd run a very different campaign, couldn't have run on issue disagreements with Obama. But right now if you take away fear of Obama becoming president, there's almost no reason not to vote for him since McCain has basically conceded the issue agenda to Obama. If you look at every poll for months, voters are dying for change. Fear of Obama is the only thing keeping him from leaving McCain in the dust. Take that away and McCain's done.

I'm not sure what else to say about this episode. But it is something to behold.

also:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/11/us/politics/11campaign.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

After a week of trying to portray Senator Barack Obama as a friend of terrorists who would drive the country into bankruptcy, Senator John McCain abruptly changed his tone on Friday and told voters at a town-hall-style meeting that Mr. Obama was “a decent person” and a “family man” and suggested that he would be an acceptable president should he win the White House.

But moments later, Mr. McCain, the Republican nominee, renewed his attacks on Mr. Obama for his association with the 1960s radical William Ayers and told the crowd, “Mr. Obama’s political career was launched in Mr. Ayers’ living room.”

Deckard
10-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Yes, that NYTimes piece really captures the muddle he's got himself in.

kagenaki koe
10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
there's an interview with the old lady who said "I've heard bad things about Obama...he's an arab" (this was right after the rally):

http://the-uptake.groups.theuptake.org/en/videogalleryView/id/933/

scary.

Deckard
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
It's bizarre. 75 years old, but her views are like those of an infant - her reasoning capacity seems so horrifyingly basic. Maybe we should introduce mandatory IQ tests and only allow the top 50% eligibility to vote (then kiss goodbye to the GOP ;) )

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
10-12-2008, 03:07 PM
It's bizarre. 75 years old, but her views are like those of an infant - her reasoning capacity seems so horrifyingly basic. Maybe we should introduce mandatory IQ tests and only allow the top 50% eligibility to vote (then kiss goodbye to the GOP ;) )

She needs to make a gay hair cutting type friend too. NOT THAT ALL MALE HAIR CUTTERS ARE GAY. But of all the straight ones I know, I'm certain they'd not know what the hell to do. At least the gay ones would try to help.

BeautifulBurnout
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
She needs to make a gay hair cutting type friend too. NOT THAT ALL MALE HAIR CUTTERS ARE GAY. But of all the straight ones I know, I'm certain they'd not know what the hell to do. At least the gay ones would try to help.

You are so damn right though! Gay men hairdressers are the only ones that do my hair properly. Fact.

Re the link: age doesn't always equal wisdom. We were out on a family get together with some old friends last night and my dad was doing one of his rambling Grandpa Simpson "oh... what was it again? I can't remember...no... wait..." stories about something, and I turned to one of the family friends who has known him for years and said: "You know what scares me? John McCain is the same age as dad and might be President in November" to much laughter at the table.

I think that is what gets me really. My Dad is a lovely, intelligent person who has had a fantastic career and a great life. But while it would be unfair to say he is losing it, he certainly doesn't have that edge anymore like he used to. And I look at McCain and I see the same thing....

Sean
10-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Well, in the comments section of this article (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/14/mccain-just-cant-escape-george-w-bush/), I think Trang summed it up best, even with a writing "accent":

Trang, Fremont, CA
October 15th, 2008 12:43 am ET

Well, Senator McCain, you are stuck between the rock and a hard place. Originally, you displayed a moderate temper, and if you had picked another moderate person, maybe you have a chance. I am still for Obama anyway, but at least, I am not scared if you win because Sarah Palin scare the heck out of me. She may get the base, but she drives moderates away. I don't think you are that extreme, but you don't know how to control them either. They cannot be in power, you understand. They destroy this country for the last 8 years with their crazy ideas. Unfortunately, how you run your campaign has tarnished your reputation.

BeautifulBurnout
10-15-2008, 04:57 AM
While we are on the subject of guilt by association (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html).... kind of makes Ayers look like small-fry. :rolleyes:

Sean
10-15-2008, 02:17 PM
While we are on the subject of guilt by association (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html).... kind of makes Ayers look like small-fry. :rolleyes:Does McCain vet his campaign people at all? I mean he selected a VP candidate who was weeks away from being found to have abused her power and violated ethics laws as Governor, who's clueless about what's going on the world, and who revels in hate-campaigning to an extreme never before seen in American Presidential politics, and now he hires this guy with ties to Saddam Hussein?

But Obama worked alongside Ayers on the board of a couple charity foundations that were aiming to improve Chicago schools, and his middle name is Hussein, so we're supposed to be scared of him?

Gimme a f!@*in' break.

Sean
10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, McCain claims he's been the one on the receiving end of all the negative campaigning, but here's a link to where you can hear the latest "robocall" (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/mccainrnc_robocall_questions_w.php) his campaign is sending out in Virginia. Here's part of the text of the call:

"Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats aren't who you think they are. They say they want to keep us safe, but Barack Obama said the threat we face now from terrorism is nowhere near as dire as it was in the end of the Cold War. And Congressional Democrats now want to give civil rights to terrorists. John McCain and his party allies understand the threats we face. When you vote, vote for the team you can trust to keep America safe."

As the article linked mentions, the two accusations here are, of course, false:

The claim about Dems and civil rights for terrorists seems to be a reference to Congressional Dems' support for habeas for terror suspects. And the assertion about Obama and the Cold War appears to be a distorted reference to this recent claim by Obama:

"Iran, Cuba, Venezuela -- these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us."

And another robocall going around:

"Hello. I'm calling for John McCain and the RNC (Republican National Committee) because you need to know that Barack Obama has worked closely with domestic terrorist Bill Ayres, whose organization bombed the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon, a judge's home and killed Americans. And Democrats will enact an extreme leftist agenda if they take control of Washington. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the judgment to lead our country. This call was paid for by McCain-Palin 2008 and the Republican National Committee at 202-863-8500."

kagenaki koe
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
McCain is only doing this because Obama turned down his townhall meetings. and Obama wouldnt repudiate what Lewis said. it's the Bitter Pill party.

Sean
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
McCain is "absolutely" proud of his terrorist mailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sF-a1lDpMg)....