PDA

View Full Version : McCain getting "swift-boated"

Sean
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
A video featuring a fellow POW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KjsEs46C70) is out criticizing McCain's qualifications for the Presidency. The video clearly just reflects one man's opinion, but I thought it was interesting to see a Republican on the receiving end of the kind of treatment they're usually doling out.

kagenaki koe
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
there are various veteran war groups that don't like mccain. which is really surprising. McCain likes to point out his POW status and him being a war veteran to appeal to people in the military and to people who don't follow politics too much.

if you do some research you'll quickly learn that yeah, McCain supports the troops (if you're healthy and you can be sent to war...and plan on being a career military person) but if you're not then you're kinda screwed since his voting record for benefits for veterans is piss poor.

vietnam vets also don't like him cuz he was the guy in the senate that helped "close" the POW/MIA saga. you would think that as a POW himself he would be more symathetic to their cause but he isnt.

edit: McCain and Kerry were both hated for closing the POW/MIA saga.

cacophony
09-05-2008, 06:48 AM
it's been a huge strategical error for the republicans to assume the population of the military automatically lean conservative. they've taken that portion of their base for granted and i think they're going to have a harsh wake-up call when the polls come back on election day.

Sean
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
it's been a huge strategical error for the republicans to assume the population of the military automatically lean conservative. they've taken that portion of their base for granted and i think they're going to have a harsh wake-up call when the polls come back on election day.I saw a poll a few weeks back that mentioned a significant majority of military in Iraq is supporting Obama. Now as I've said, I don't trust polls this year, but I did make a mental note about it. Wish I could find the link...