PDA

View Full Version : discogs

mkb
06-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Discogs vanished off the planet in the middle of the day yesterday. Anyone know what happened?

Dirty0900
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Is this discogs.com:confused:

Still works for me.

mkb
06-30-2005, 08:59 AM
yeah, i'm talking about discogs.com. it really works for you? i wonder where the server is. i can contact other servers on the same netblock without a problem.

edit: it's also not just me.

Eikman
06-30-2005, 09:51 AM
I noticed that too while browsing some Omni Trio stuff yesterday afternoon. It started that album covers didn't load anymore and about 10 min. later all i got were time out errors.

(and i still can't access it)

patrick
06-30-2005, 01:51 PM
i'm sure it is just some network errors, that would be dissapointing if they went offline...

but i get annoyed with discogs with how much shit they h ave.... sometimes there are 10 versions of one albumn. that is just a huge confusion...

also, how slow is allmusic.com lately? they are terrible slow

mkb
06-30-2005, 04:41 PM
but i get annoyed with discogs with how much shit they h ave.... sometimes there are 10 versions of one albumn. that is just a huge confusion...

releasing 10 versions of an album is the artist's fault, and getting confused is your problem :D

patrick
06-30-2005, 06:41 PM
releasing 10 versions of an album is the artist's fault, and getting confused is your problem :D

there are definatley times where the same albumn is put up more than once... people do differnt write ups cause they think there's is better... i think if discogs turned into a wikimedia site that would be good. then you could edit out the stupid shit that gets all over the place...

Eikman
06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
there are definatley times where the same albumn is put up more than once... people do differnt write ups cause they think there's is better... i think if discogs turned into a wikimedia site that would be good. then you could edit out the stupid shit that gets all over the place...

i don't think there are so many double albums. if you look at the details, you will see that maybe the label is different. take the KLF for example, they released their stuff on different labels over and over again. and a good discography includes all of them, even if they have the same tracklisting.

entropy
07-01-2005, 12:28 AM
thatd be a routing issue

Dirty0900
07-01-2005, 03:12 AM
OK,its dead for me now.

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 03:25 AM
i don't think there are so many double albums. if you look at the details, you will see that maybe the label is different. take the KLF for example, they released their stuff on different labels over and over again. and a good discography includes all of them, even if they have the same tracklisting.

exactly

like my very own Underworld discog...

here's an example of several versions of the AHDO album

here (http://www.bigscreensatellite.co.uk/ahdo.htm)

unfortuanately what happens is, someone thinks they have something unique - list it on discogs and because they bought a re-released version or an import with different cat. number or something, and then it shows up more than once...its all pretty relevant in the scheme of things though

what does bug me on discogs is some of the more vague listings...such as 'born slippy remix - white label'...yeah thanks that's helpful...

i do find discogs pretty unhelpful, as its neither that complete and sometimes isn't that accurate...but hey when thousands of people are uploading info i suppose it can get that way....its a useful tool but sometimes a bit untrustworthy....

Eikman
07-01-2005, 05:06 AM
i do find discogs pretty unhelpful, as its neither that complete and sometimes isn't that accurate...but hey when thousands of people are uploading info i suppose it can get that way....its a useful tool but sometimes a bit untrustworthy....

i find dicsogs extremely helpful. of course you can always find a hair in the soup. if you know of a better resource - let me know.

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 05:09 AM
i find dicsogs extremely helpful. of course you can always find a hair in the soup. if you know of a better resource - let me know.

oh god there is nothing better....i'm just a fussy bastard...

i find that i have to go to discogs and then search further elsewhere for more info in most cases...

its good, despite my complaints, for 'unknown' white label mixes because no otehr place really lists these....

undarrenworld
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Discogs is the best site, i use this site daily. Im so sad that they have some troubles. I hope that all will be sorted out.
If no? That will be huge miss...:(
I really dont know about some similar site...

ifkd II
07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
discogs is very, very regulated. it can take months for an edit to be accepted. which is kinda annoying if you ask me. but there are no double post for the same album, its like what-his-name said before, they are just coverring all the releases under all the labels. which by the way, its very fucking stupid for bands to do, because in the end, they end up confusing their fans.

Eikman
07-02-2005, 01:38 PM
it seems to be working again.....at least some parts of it.......

Liam
07-02-2005, 03:01 PM
www.allmusic.com is better...

mkb
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM
discogs is very, very regulated. it can take months for an edit to be accepted. which is kinda annoying if you ask me.

it is annoying. there need to be more mods, but selecting them is very difficult.

www.allmusic.com is better...

are you serious? you're fucking crazy. allmusic is woefully incomplete and hideously ugly

Liam
07-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I suppose from the point of view of a discograpgy database, discogs.com is more accurate. However, allmusic.com has much better biographies of the bands and decent reviews of a huge number of releases, and you can also listen to samples of most of the artists listed.

I like allmusic because you can immediately find out loads about an artist, their influences and who they've worked with. It's a great way of finding new music.

Eikman
07-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I suppose from the point of view of a discograpgy database, discogs.com is more accurate. However, allmusic.com has much better biographies of the bands and decent reviews of a huge number of releases, and you can also listen to samples of most of the artists listed.

I like allmusic because you can immediately find out loads about an artist, their influences and who they've worked with. It's a great way of finding new music.

that's correct, but as they name says, discogs is for discographies, not biographies and reviews.