PDA

View Full Version : WTF Vol. 3

BeautifulBurnout
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I cannot believe that people are a) seemingly unaware of this latest brilliant idea from Big Brother Brown b) those that are aware seem to be either totally unconcerned or unbothered and c) there are not demos on the streets.

This is the next outrageous slide (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7410885.stm) down the slippery slope to "V for Vendetta" Britain. :mad:

Sean
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not always on board with your "wtf"-o-meter, but this seems pretty messed up to me too. Someone over there needs to write a strongly worded letter about this.

Deckard
05-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Let's hope they don't go and store it on disc (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7118593.stm).

Seriously this is just scary. Labour are turning into a nightmare government (and I supported and voted for them in 97 and 01).

I don't for a second doubt that, had the Tories been in power these last 11 years, specifically during 9/11 and 7/7, that they'd have been doing exactly the same, or worse. Their current criticisms are the soundbites of a party conveniently in opposition looking for power, not a party that genuinely cares about civil liberties.

So... who the hell to vote for next time round?
(Maybe democracy is what you do (legally) between elections, not at election time?)

BeautifulBurnout
05-21-2008, 06:50 AM
LOL at Sean for the "writing a strong letter" :D

I think what worries me is that this is tucked away in the "Technology" pages of the Beeb website and the "Business - Telecoms" page of The Times. It didn't even make headline news - cos after all it really is only us geeks who need to worry about Big Brother monitoring all our calls and email, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is about time I got off my butt, stopped whining about things and did something about it for a change. I am stunned at the apparent apathy.

Rog
05-21-2008, 07:21 AM
nobody gives a fook in britain PLC any more, that's why we get apathy. This should be the main headline on the evening news tonight - but i bet it won't be............

Deckard
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
The Times splashed with it on their front page yesterday.

It's ruffling lots of feathers in the tech blogs too, which I suspect will spread out.

If this goes ahead, there will likely be more of a shitstorm then. Sometimes people get anaesthetized to all the shit being proposed, but it's only when things start moving forward that the shit hits the fan. (See abolition of 10p tax rate, religious hatred legislation, etc)

Deckard
05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
OK, coming back and re-reading that last paragraph, I've used the word shit way too many times.

Probably apt though.

dubman
05-21-2008, 03:40 PM
hahahaha

in a way, i'm glad that our administration clumsily tried to grope towards a similar system and was quietly discarded (or enacted, depending on how finely attuned your paranoia is) when people finally fell out of shellshock and weren't having it. now its associated with the worst administration in decades.

staved it off for at least 10 more years i'd say.

Tiger
05-27-2008, 02:53 AM
at least whitehall have a history of implementing successful IT projects on time and under budget............................................ ...

Rog
05-27-2008, 06:42 AM
ROFL!:D

//\/\/
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
at least whitehall have a history of implementing successful IT projects on time and under budget............................................ ...

where's goldfish when you need him?!

anyway - i'm setting up a non-big brother dirty forum - send me your addresses and messages and i'll copy them and send them around to everybody -sorted :D