PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz - Dare video

the mongoose
08-19-2005, 01:13 PM
My least favorite of the "big" songs on Gorillaz's new album, is now my least favorite Gorillaz video (Noodle and the Happy Mondays guy = wtf?).

But even though it's my least favorite doesn't mean it's crap, and for some (Asians) it will be a huge hit. It's just too 80's for me or something.

Well, here you go (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/virg001/gorillaz/video/demon_days/gorillaz_dare_hi.asx?siteid=fansite)

Damnit, it's fucking stuck in my head again!:mad:

:)

BrotherLovesDub
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
wrong!

instant classic.

gambit
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I'm not Asian, and I think this is one of their best songs, period. As for the video, I loved watching Noodle dance and sing, but that was most certainly not the guy I imagined singing in the video. For some reason, I imagined a black guy along the lines of Ali G (at least in terms of looks) singing that part.

joethelion
08-21-2005, 12:36 PM
...what's so Asian about dare?

but yea - Shaun Ryder def has a distinctive voice doesn't he? Kinda like a garbled mumble... If you're not familiar w/ him or the Happy Mondays, check out the album "Pills Thrills n' Bellyaches" which has some class tunes on it (but be weary about some of his / their other releases)

Dare is a great track - but I will give you that it kinda has too much of a Groove Armada vibe to it (as in it's not that original - not that GA are bad)

dubman
08-21-2005, 04:39 PM
mmm, i love dare.
repetitive (more so that ALL of your friends will remark on that) but it's too good.

lukeyd
08-22-2005, 12:07 AM
its one of my faves on the album. i too am intrigued by the "asian" comment tho.

Leon
08-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Fuck me, I fucking love DARE. WOOOOH, let's dance!

the mongoose
08-23-2005, 03:15 AM
well, ever been to the Gorillaz House? (www.gorillaz.com/launch.html)

Go into the elevator....1st Floor....look left and go into the "bloody door". Look at the door right there to the slight left..."Noodles Room"!
Now that's Asian!;)

Noodles Computer (http://gorillaz.com/item.php?N=compnoodle&URL=compnoodle)

:cool:

trina75
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Can someone please explain to me what this song is about? I can't make sense of the lyrics....

thanks

bavarianbeer
09-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't think it's really about anything. The lyrics seem to be about encouraging listeners to get down on the dancefloor ("you've got to press it on you, you just think it, that's what you do, baby, hold it down"). Perhaps they're referencing or parodying the tendency of many dancefloor hits towards such lyrical content. I have no idea what "DARE" is supposed to mean.

But, because that's not a very interesting answer, and also because I like to waste my time reading into pop songs, I'll give you my own interpretation: to me, the tone of Shaun Ryder's voice suggests the image of some shady character who has successfully obtained money and fame, but whose deeds may now be catching up with him. Hence, in the verses, he's self-assured and full of bravado (when he spits, "hold it down, there!"), but sounds somewhat more lost and uncertain when he interjects with "never did no harm" over the chilly music-box melody, like he's trying to justify his actions to himself. The cold feel of the synthesizer melodies seems to indicate something more menacing than just pure dancefloor fun.

mmm skyscraper
09-06-2005, 05:31 PM
DARE = Drug Abuse Resistance Education

Dare to keep kids off drugs!

I doubt this has anything to do with the song.

ffolkes
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
According to Damon the title got born from the way Shaun utters "it's there", which just sounds like "it's dare". There's nothing fancy to it.

the mongoose
09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
it's the same as the elevator in Kong Studios......"it's coming up, it's coming up, it's coming up.......it's there"

ffolkes
09-07-2005, 01:11 AM
it's the same as the elevator in Kong Studios......"it's coming up, it's coming up, it's coming up.......it's there"

yeah that was added on the site's elevator whilst they recorded demon days