don't know what to say.......

koisk
08-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Lame
Lame
Lame

adam
08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Actually, that looks as good as could be hoped. I was reading about the new game coming out, and it sounds like they've kept true to the total fuckedupedness of the original series, which I'm taking as hope that maybe they have for the movie, too. And, yes, the french kiss pill-exchange looks cheesy, but that's right out of the cartoon, as is her and the other assassin trying to cross that field....it will be cheesy, at points, but it might be more in the spirit of the series than I had dared hope.

Animal Boything
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
The problem with giving this thing a budget is that it goes without saying that they have to give it a coherent plot, and that takes away half the fun of it right there. It could still be a pretty cool movie, though. There's no way it'll be just like the cartoon, but taken as an entirely seperate entity it has potential. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that it's at least a little bit psychotic. I think the real good of this is that it might force a proper DVD release of the cartoon, which I've long awaited.

I wonder what the odds are that she'll die repeatedly in the movie? Probably not good. Oh well.

b.miller
08-17-2005, 06:08 PM
i never thought i'd say this but Charlize Theron is too fat in this movie.

i really only bring it up because "BARF!" is less than ten characters

Malt Refund
08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Well it's hard to be as thin as Aeon Flux was.. *clicks*

Malt Refund
08-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I had a life once..

Then I saw this trailer. Now I have a mission.. not to see it ever again.

kagenaki koe
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Well it's hard to be as thin as Aeon Flux was.. *clicks*

i remember having a pic of Lara Flyn Boyle and photoshopped Aeon's hair on Lara. stunning resemblance if you can imagine it.

Tom
08-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Lame
Lame
Lame

AGREED.

i never thought i'd say this but Charlize Theron is too fat in this movie.

AGREED.

kagenaki koe
08-18-2005, 10:29 AM
http://www.milla-jovovich.net/photos/Milla_Jovovich_17.jpg

Malt Refund
08-19-2005, 12:27 PM
If Milla got the role it would have been too Resident Evil for me. I mean lets face it Aeon Flux is just going to be RE without the zombies.

adam
11-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Okay, I know this could suck. I'm not saying it's not going to suck.

I'm saying, as a fan of the cartoon, as someone who owned the VHS boxed set, I see nothing in the trailer I've watched to indicate that it is going to suck. It looks exactly, so far, like a live action version of that cartoon should.

It may suck, but so far I haven't seen evidence that it will.

I know, I'll probably be proven wrong, but...*fingers crossed*.

kagenaki koe
11-24-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm saying, as a fan of the cartoon, as someone who owned the VHS boxed set,

there's a new remastered 3 dvd set that was released last tuesday of all the entire Aeon Flux series (the regular TV series and Liquid television shorts). Best Buy seems to have the cheapest price ($26.99 i just bought it a few hours ago)

the only disc i've watched is the 3rd disc (the Liquid TV collection). lots of cool extras, like the interviews with the co-writer of the regular series (really uh...kooky guy) plus the history of how Aeon Flux came about with Peter Chung basically saying "I got bored with Rugrats"

Animal Boything
12-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Saw it, total trainwreck pretty much, but it had its moments. I pretty much called it, the problem was not the plot so much as the fact that it had one... all the worst scenes were dialogue and exposition, but the action and freaky sci-fi nonsense were a lot of fun. I was also right about a proper DVD release of the cartoon, I got a copy and I look forward to watching it.

grady
12-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Holy Jebus this was a pile of shit, or a train wreck as animal boything pointed out.

I took this in on a whim and since it was free why not be able to say I saw that film in the cinema. After about 15 minutes I started trying to imagine a different film, or a different chain of events.

Like say, they fired the director half way through and brough in Wong Kar-Wai because some idiot exec. at Paramount saw the 2046 trailer and thought it was entirely a sci-fi piece and baited Wong Kar-Wai with enough money and gave him unlimited time and space and money to work with because the go to guy in situations like this, Renny Harlin(see Exorcist prequel) was unavailable.

Suddenly Aeon Flux no longer has a script that they're shooting from but instead a one page treatment composed of three dense paragraphs. Suddenly the film bares no resemblence to the original cartoon and becomes something else.

Cue the Film Comment cover story. Cue the New York Times Sunday Magazine 'think piece' by AO Scott on the films 'post-modern symbolic referencing to current events.'

One can imagine these things.

I almost left the film but I wanted to see how bad it was, and since I wasn't paying it didn't matter.

bklyndv
12-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I dunno -- the only thing less believable than Charlize Theron as an ass-kicking assassin, would be Milla Jovovich as an ass-kicking assassin.

adam
12-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Milla can do anything.

adam
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't think this was nearly as bad as you guys did. However, I did see it with nearly zero expectations.

I saw it despite all the criticism because it occured to me that if they had made a movie that was totally true to the spirit of the cartoon, that would likely get panned as well. That is, the cartoon had some crazy bullshit moments, and a lot of nonsense, and a reviewer unfamiliar with the cartoon might take intentional moments like those as what-the-fuck-is-this-crap, whereas someone who loved the cartoon (like myself) might view those moments in a different light.

I think, now, having seen it, that about the half the criticism the movie received was due to what I was saying, and half was just straight up legitimate criticism.

Example: when the flower comes out of the Monocan leader-woman's mouth and sprays Aeon with pollen for pretty much no reason. My reaction: Hey! Just like the cartoon! Normal person's reactioin: What the fuck is this shit?

Now, it definitely had its flaws, but as a fan of the cartoon, I'm glad I saw it. I think Trevor and Aeon were well cast, and they did a passable job of trying to combine the nonsense of the cartoon with the plot of a movie. That's "passable", not "good."

I wish Peter Cheung (sp?) had got a regular cartoon series from all this. I did really enjoy the series. Time-travelling fat mutant baby episode is classic.